View Poll Results: Which Martial Art is better?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Central Plain Martial Art

14 82.35%
  • Non-Central Plain Martial Art

2 11.76%
  • Others, explain

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which martial art is better??

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    This is just a theory.
    I don't think black, white, asian, Latino, eastern Indian, Middle eastern, american indian, ect... came from the same back ground since they are so different from one another. Even among asian, they are different from one onother. The tibetan and the han are different from one another. Even among the han, the nothern chinese are different than the southern han (Cantonese, Teochew), ect... I doubt that all their ancestor came from africa. Even if they all came from africa, they are still different. Just like dogs, there are so many different types of dog.
    LOL, what are you smoking? It is acceptable from various theories about the origin of human which is suppose to be from one original location. It doesn't matter if its origin is from Canada or Easter Island, LOL that is not the case here .

What I want to say, human differ biologically because of their geographical location. Human is a nomad by its nature, they indeed came from one original location, but when they relocate to different region of the earth, they develop their own culture and their characteristics change because of it (an evolution that taking thousands of years in the making). Hot weather in Africa, more pigment etc, cold weather at northern atmosphere, fair skin etc. Duh!
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 12-26-08 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    OH WOW... Lets not get that political now... This message might've been watched by the Great Firewall of China...

But its a different case to Bruce Lee. Or actually, we don't know what case is it exactly. But if Bruce Lee was born in USA, raised in USA, did not take in any part of Chinese culture, integrated into the US community, then yes his creations would be considered American martial arts.
    How come that doesn't apply to martial arts. If theory (ie culture) was integrated into the invention, and in many cases the theory provide the main part/backbone of the martial arts, then how come it can't be considered central plain. Chinese cuisine is chinese cuisine regardless of where the restaurant is or who owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Maybe Xuanci only reached 0.3%, and Jiumozhi 1%, of Prajna Palm's majestic potential. After all, it is boundless, so one could potentially reach a level that is several trillion times more powerful than the Sweeper Monk with it.

With Yiyang Finger, it was said that Yideng had already attained the peak of perfection in it, so no more attainment is possible. With Dragon Elephant Prajna, one can at most attain 8x more powerful than Golden Wheel Monk. But with Prajna Palm, because it is boundless, one can reach several trillion, billions of trillion, and trillions of trazillion times more power than anyone in history.

Did I mention it's boundless?

Ahhhhh! But you neglected to mention the Surprising Dugu Jiu Jian! Even if Prajna Palm got one bazillion trajazillion gojujillion times stronger than Level 99 DEP, DG9J can get even stronger to beat it!

In fact, DG9J is probably the only martial art that can exceed infinity.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    This is just a theory.
    I don't think black, white, asian, Latino, eastern Indian, Middle eastern, american indian, ect... came from the same back ground since they are so different from one another. Even among asian, they are different from one onother. The tibetan and the han are different from one another. Even among the han, the nothern chinese are different than the southern han (Cantonese, Teochew), ect... I doubt that all their ancestor came from africa. Even if they all came from africa, they are still different. Just like dogs, there are so many different types of dog.
    But the first HUMAN was from what is nowadays known as Africa.

One of the sites I found in a quick search.

http://www.infoniac.com/science/dna.html

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    How come that doesn't apply to martial arts. If theory (ie culture) was integrated into the invention, and in many cases the theory provide the main part/backbone of the martial arts, then how come it can't be considered central plain. Chinese cuisine is chinese cuisine regardless of where the restaurant is or who owns it.
    If said restaurant created it in intent of creating a Chinese cuisine, then obviously it is Chinese.. a better example would be...

A man (unsure of nationality) intent on creating a restaurant (martial arts) serving dragon themed food (philosophy) in America. Said man was brought up in America and fully integrated into the American community. Would his fast food be considered CHINESE fast food, or American fast food?
    Last edited by flamer; 12-26-08 at 04:26 PM.

You said it yourself in the Bruce Lee case. If he used chinese philosophy it can be considered chinese. Now if he had both Chinese and American elements in the FOOD, then it can be considered fusion. If ZWJ tried to improve the theory in his QKDNY with taichi concept, then it's a Western art fused with Chinese Elements.

To claim HYS isn't a central plains fighter is ridiculous. You guys can argue what is a 'plain' and what is counts as 'central', but to me the thread title's central plains refer to areas occupied by predominatantly by Han Chinese. Ignoring little Islands off the coast is ridiculous, so is ignoring Hengshan because it's south of Jiangsu, and ignoring HuaShan/Kunlun because it's west of Shanxi.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Ahhhhh! But you neglected to mention the Surprising Dugu Jiu Jian! Even if Prajna Palm got one bazillion trajazillion gojujillion times stronger than Level 99 DEP, DG9J can get even stronger to beat it!

In fact, DG9J is probably the only martial art that can exceed infinity.
    But Prajna Palm is not bound by infinity. It can expand forever with no boundary. So SURPRISING POSITION Dugu 9 Swords cannot beat it. At most it's a draw to infinity.

Zheng suo wei: Mo Gao Yi Chi, Dao Gao Yi Zhang !
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

You said it yourself in the Bruce Lee case. If he used chinese philosophy it can be considered chinese. Now if he had both Chinese and American elements in the FOOD, then it can be considered fusion. If ZWJ tried to improve the theory in his QKDNY with taichi concept, then it's a Western art fused with Chinese Elements.
    Firstly that is assuming its a Chinese, ZWJ. Then say if "ZWJ" is an American and got taught Taoism by another American master and both of them have no connections to China whatsoever, then "ZWJ" creates a new martial art using his Taoism. Would he be considered making a CHINESE skill? It is simply a skill based on Taoism and has no connections to China in any sense. Just because a skill is based on Buddhism or Taoism doesn't make it Chinese. Thats like saying any Christian artwork must be Roman.

The idea behind that martial art is zhong yuan so it's considered zhong yuan. If he add other elements to it then its fusion.

Zzz what does Christianity have to do with Romans. Stay on topic, give an example where a non-zhong yuan taught a non-zhong yuan a chinese martial art. And you completely ignore my second point. You are just giving what ifs, why don't you point out cases from Jinyong that shouldn't be considered central plain arts that defies the above.

The idea behind that martial art is zhong yuan so it's considered zhong yuan. If he add other elements to it then its fusion.

Zzz what does Christianity have to do with Romans. Stay on topic, give an example where a non-zhong yuan taught a non-zhong yuan a chinese martial art. And you completely ignore my second point. You are just giving what ifs, why don't you point out cases from Jinyong that shouldn't be considered central plain arts that defies the above.
    The idea (Taoism) ORIGINATED from Central Plains.
    The idea (Christianity) ORIGINATED in Rome.

If a British drew a painting on Christian beliefs, would that be considered a Roman artwork?

Same for a martial art made from Taoist ideas.

If a British drew a painting on Christian beliefs, would that be considered a Roman artwork?

Thats the catch. Its so much the fact that the painting is about Christian beliefs, but the STYLE of the painting. Did he draw it in a traditional Roman style?

e.g. If a British drew a painting of Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus, but painted it in Manga style, you can credit it to Japan. If it was done with Chinese ink painting style, you can credit it to China.

Simple.

Thats the catch. Its so much the fact that the painting is about Christian beliefs, but the STYLE of the painting. Did he draw it in a traditional Roman style?

e.g. If a British drew a painting of Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus, but painted it in Manga style, you can credit it to Japan. If it was done with Chinese ink painting style, you can credit it to China.

Simple.
    That is hardly relevant IMO. What matters is the philosophy behind the work.

If the British drew it in Roman style in Britain, it still wouldn't qualify as a Roman artwork. I'm sure most collectors or museums would agree.

P.S The style would probably correspond with the type of martial art, eg fist, sword, rather than the philosophy or origin.
    Last edited by flamer; 12-27-08 at 03:30 AM.

The idea (Taoism) ORIGINATED from Central Plains.
    The idea (Christianity) ORIGINATED in Rome.

Same for a martial art made from Taoist ideas.
    Christianity originated in rome???

I thought that it was all to do with this carpenter's son in the land of Heeheebreww.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

That is hardly relevant IMO. What matters is the philosophy behind the work.

If the British drew it in Roman style in Britain, it still wouldn't qualify as a Roman artwork. I'm sure most collectors or museums would agree.

P.S The style would probably correspond with the type of martial art, eg fist, sword, rather than the philosophy or origin.

Of course it wouldn't qualify as a musuem piece, but its still a Roman styled artwork.

I mean, if a modern Italian living in rome did the exact same painting, it still wouldn't qualify it as a musuem piece anyway.

Of course it wouldn't qualify as a musuem piece, but its still a Roman styled artwork.

I mean, if a modern Italian living in rome did the exact same painting, it still wouldn't qualify it as a musuem piece anyway.
    It may be Roman-styled but I was referring to its Origin as acknowledged by everyone.

A modern Italian's artwork would certainly qualify its ORIGIN as Italy.
    Last edited by flamer; 12-28-08 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Christianity originated in rome???

I thought that it was all to do with this carpenter's son in the land of Heeheebreww.

Han Solo
    Sorry I have no idea. My last bit of dodgy memory from high school Religious Studies class was that... That Christianity got spread in Rome after Jesus' death and resurrection.

Sorry I have no idea. My last bit of dodgy memory from high school Religious Studies class was that... That Christianity got spread in Rome after Jesus' death and resurrection.
    It eventually spread through the Roman Empire, despite centuries of persecution from the Romans, but it never originated in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    It eventually spread through the Roman Empire, despite centuries of persecution from the Romans, but it never originated in Rome.
    For a bit of History lesson, what was the first place that Christianity was spread after Jesus' death and resurrection?