View Poll Results: Favorite endingS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • DGSD: Duan Yu realizes Murong Fu & Ah Bi may be happy on their own

3 7.50%
  • LOCH: Guo Jing and Genghis Khan discussing "heroism"

16 40.00%
  • ROCH: Zhang Junbao and Jueyuan are introduced; Yang Guo/Xiao Longnu retire from world

8 20.00%
  • HSDS: Zhang Wuji is deceived by Zhu Yuanzhang; Zhou Zhiruo shows up to interrupt

1 2.50%
  • SPW: Linghu Chong learns Yijinjing; Lao Denuo is chained with monkeys, and Ren Yingying makes a joke

15 37.50%
  • OTG: Shi Potian asks: "Who is my father? Who is my mother? Who am I?"

1 2.50%
  • ADS: Di Yun returns to the snow valley to find Shui Sheng running up to him with embracing open arms

9 22.50%
  • FOX: Hundreds & thousands of thoughts weave through Hu Fei's mind as he fights Miao Renfeng

3 7.50%
  • DOMD: Wei Xiaobao's mom says his father could have been Han, Manchurian, Mongolian, or Tibetan

11 27.50%
  • ANOTHER

1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Favorite Jin Yong ENDING

Default Favorite Jin Yong ENDING

Which endingS do you think are the best written? Vote for your favoriteS.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-22-09 at 03:33 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I like the ending where Deun Yu, Hui Juk, and Siu Yeun San blow up super-powerful Mo Yung Bok together.

Definitely the LOCH scene, which is surprising, since I don't find LOCH to be the best written of JY's novels. The ending not only providing thematically appropriate closure, it also had a certain depth to it, with regards to the question, 'What exactly is a hero?'
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I like the ending where Deun Yu, Hui Juk, and Siu Yeun San blow up super-powerful Mo Yung Bok together.
    You like final boss battle endings eh. That's the videogame mentality

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    You like final boss battle endings eh. That's the videogame mentality
    More like the Shaw Brothers' ending. The Shaw Brothers made a staple of this kind of ending back when PONG was the only video game going.

Come to think of it, didn't Leung Yu Sang's DRAGON GATE INN popularize this kind of ending?

Default Wanna Be Startin' Something?

Jinyong's cr*p at endings. It's one of his biggest weaknesses as a novelist: good at starting something, terrible at finishing it. This is a product of his having had to write for serialisation.

Out of the JY novels I've read, the ending of She Diao is marginally better than the rest, so I'll go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    Jinyong's cr*p at endings. It's one of his biggest weaknesses as a novelist: good at starting something, terrible at finishing it. This is a product of his having had to write for serialisation.

Out of the JY novels I've read, the ending of She Diao is marginally better than the rest, so I'll go with that.
    I sort of wonder: did Jin Yong's stories really end, or did just sort of...come to a stop? The difference being that a proper ending is thought out beforehand (i.e. before the story even begins), and the entire plot is designed to logically lead to that ending. If the story just stops, however, it's a sign that the writer didn't really have a proper ending in mind, but just gave up because he/she ran out of ideas.

A proper ending is where they tie up all the loose threads and major story arcs. There might be some minor story arcs not tied up but as long as the major ones are concluded properly, then i would say that the novel has a proper ending.

Default Unhappily Ever After

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I sort of wonder: did Jin Yong's stories really end, or did just sort of...come to a stop? The difference being that a proper ending is thought out beforehand (i.e. before the story even begins), and the entire plot is designed to logically lead to that ending. If the story just stops, however, it's a sign that the writer didn't really have a proper ending in mind, but just gave up because he/she ran out of ideas.
    I think there is some forethought and logic in JY's endings, although only enough to prevent him from being criticised for plain incompetence. I'd also say that JY does run out of ideas now and then, but in such situations just treads water until the muse returns to him.

I'd speculate that it's more a question of running out of space or energy. JY's novels tend to start with quite a lot of slow-paced scene-setting, probably because at the beginning of each serialisation, he felt he had room to give full flight to his epic imagination (which is one of JY's strong points). Towards the end of some novels, however, it feels as if he was either rushing things in order to meet a space budget (e.g. Shen Diao, Xiao Ao Jiang Hu) or had just lost interest altogether (e.g. Yi Tian Tu Long Ji, the worst-written out of his major wuxia works).

JY can't write endings- that's why he is always itchy to re-edit his works, there was never a finality to his works.

Honest.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Flyxing Fox is the best ending(kind of)..

The very first novel i read was the flying fox....and I distincly remembers myself saying "what da hell, does it??? oh MAN!!! MORE!!!!!!"

That, my friend is the best kind of ending...always leave you hungry for more!!

HAHAHA

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

LOL @ WXB's mom telling him that he could have been Han, Manchurian, Mongolian, etc.

So ironic really.

Even though I don't care for the bit about Lao Denuo being chained to two monkeys, I like the ending of SPW because Linghu Chong and Ren Yingying are together and they're happy. ROCH and LOCH end with couples being happy together, too, but they seem more melancholy with YG and XLN retiring, and GJ having lost all his loved ones except for HR. LHC and RYY have lost loved ones too, but it just doesn't seem as sad.

JY's endings do tend to have a bit of an "afterthought" quality to them, as if he suddenly realized he had to finish the story and wrap up all the loose plot threads and just didn't have enough time to do so. I think sometimes he tried a bit too hard to wrap everything up. That actually makes the end of Flying Fox more satisfying in some ways because he left everything open to the reader's imagination.

But I still prefer SPW.
    Last edited by sniffles; 03-02-09 at 01:08 PM.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I seem to prefer bittersweet, poignant endings. That's why my favorites are:

1. A Deadly Secret - After being betrayed by loved ones and losing everyone he cared about, Di Yun returns to the only place he knows that is free of such worldly affairs. When he gets there, someone is HAPPILY waiting for him, which is deeply satisfying to see (but no less poignant) after all the tragedies he experienced.

2. Demi Gods Semi Devils - This strikes me as one of Jin Yong's most simple endings with people just walking by a forest; yet there is much unspoken. Rounds up the novel perfectly without being cheesy or contrived.

3. Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain - Jin Yong's first bold cliffhanger ending and remains his most original IMO. Not to mention the whole "BRAIN GOD Hu Fei" ordeal coming out of this.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-02-09 at 01:33 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think the DOMD ending is very appropriate - after all WXB does help uniting the country and gets Russian citizenship.

The ending in ROCH where YG finds XLN rotting corpse at the bottom of the cliff and spends the rest of his emo days sleeping it with it.

Or maybe the one where HR doesn't lie to YG and he takes a rope down to the gorge, finds her and live with her there without wasting 16 years of his life.

Wei Xiaobao ends the novel with 7 wives, a huge fortune and his mom. Now that is a happy ending