Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I understand...

Didn't Lanny Lan got an official permission from Jin Yong to translate SPW? I thought I read it somewhere.

I have the whole of HSDS in a .rtf document. I'm doing a final edit, just to keep the tenses and names consistent throughout. When that's done I'll pdf it, and give copies to HYS and Foxs.

But you're going to have to be patient with me, because I'm really busy at work just now.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I'd prefer you ate the food, buddy. The translation effort has been a multiyear project involving many people and literally millions of words of translated text. By my best estimate based on my own translation time spent on DGSD, translators have spent thousands of hours on this, so people like you and me can enjoy it in English. I am honestly, genuinely shocked that your reaction is "Y'all contact me again when they're REALLY, really all done" because you don't like the formatting.

Maybe we're all taking it the wrong way, but I'm getting such a vibe of lack of appreciation and entitlement from that comment (which I'm pretty sure is what spurred the 'princess' comment). Every other single reader keeps on top of the ongoing translations by themselves, but you not only want others to format it to your liking, you also want them to give you alerts?

Seriously man? I mean, seriously?

In the past, I know you've commented that you can't read Chinese and aren't willing to expend the effort to learn it just for reading wuxia, so you have to wait for the translations. And that's cool, that's totally fair. But how about now, when the actual translating part is done? I'm sure you're capable of finding the various threads yourself, of putting all the parts together yourself, and of pdf'ing it (maybe with pannonian's link) yourself. Yeah, you're an old fogey who lives in 80's TVB (god bless'm), but I know you can do all of this; hell, you're better than most when it comes to thread searching, and even I've requested you to help me scrounge up old threads from time to time.

So what's stopping you? Why are you telling us/the translators to do it, then 'contact you again' after they do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Ken, I'm not suggesting that you are gay or girly from that comment. It was written in jest. That's how I kid with my buddies in real life. It just seems that with all the work that was put into the translations and all the years I've seen you waiting for them to be finished, you are not being fully appreciative of the work that's been 'done'. Now that they are done, it seems that you are demanding (maybe not demanding) that they must be in a consistent format before you will even start reading it. I could personally care less as you will be the one missing out on the novels, not me. But it seems like everyone is practically begging you to start reading the translations, and it needs to be put on a silver platter for you to your liking. Anyway, have fun reading when you start.
    Well said you two. Seriously, I've never read a more unappreciative comment.

People put in so much effort, so many hours of their free time to complete these translations so that non-chinese ed wuxia fans can read them. They do it just to make these stories available/accessible to more people and they do it for free without taking 1 cent for their years of effort. And what is Ken's response?

"Y'all contact me again when they're REALLY, really all done."

Ken, just forget it. You don't need to read them if it gives you so much trouble.

Guys, no need to keep bugging Ken to read the translations. If he wants to read them, he will read them. The world won't end if he doesn't. Those translators deserve more respect and appreciation than "'Y'all contact me again when they're REALLY, really all done."
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

How about Ken "GIVE ME THE ENTIRE TRILOGY IN BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED .PDF OR GIVE ME NOTHING" Cheng.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    How about Ken "GIVE ME THE ENTIRE TRILOGY IN BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED .PDF OR GIVE ME NOTHING" Cheng.
    I second to that! Absolutely brilliant! BRILLIANT

So, our friend, Batty Kenny, doesn't like lecture. Huggies and pacifier?

We need a psychiatrist for a moderator, anyone?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-21-09 at 02:24 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Well said you two. Seriously, I've never read a more unappreciative comment.

People put in so much effort, so many hours of their free time to complete these translations so that non-chinese ed wuxia fans can read them. They do it just to make these stories available/accessible to more people and they do it for free without taking 1 cent for their years of effort. And what is Ken's response?

"Y'all contact me again when they're REALLY, really all done."

Ken, just forget it. You don't need to read them if it gives you so much trouble.

Guys, no need to keep bugging Ken to read the translations. If he wants to read them, he will read them. The world won't end if he doesn't. Those translators deserve more respect and appreciation than "'Y'all contact me again when they're REALLY, really all done."
    Some parts of the translations are particularly interesting reads though, such as how parts of the Sad Palms were involved when Yang Guo threw that coffin at Guo Fu's party in the Tomb, or how Guo Jing and Huang Rong managed to dispose of both copies of the Wumu manual. Huang Rong's antipathy towards the descendant of Yue Fei is even more capricious in the text than in the series. and it was partly her fault that he died.

One thing the series doesn't adequately capture is the very occasional wit of Guo Fu. In the episode where Guo Fu and Hong Lingbo were captured by Gongsun Zhi, there's a detailed explanation of the circumstances which led to Guo Fu outwitting Gongsun Zhi. However, this is missing in the series, which makes Yelu Qi's indignation at the end of it seem misplaced. It makes far more sense in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Huang Rong's antipathy towards the descendant of Yue Fei is even more capricious in the text than in the series. and it was partly her fault that he died.

One thing the series doesn't adequately capture is the very occasional wit of Guo Fu. In the episode where Guo Fu and Hong Lingbo were captured by Gongsun Zhi, there's a detailed explanation of the circumstances which led to Guo Fu outwitting Gongsun Zhi. However, this is missing in the series, which makes Yelu Qi's indignation at the end of it seem misplaced. It makes far more sense in the text.
    Woa what happened in both instances? Could you please briefly explain?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post

I vaguely remember Andy Lau's version of ROCH depicting Guo Fu outwitting GongSun Zhi, but it seem more of a sly way (ala Wei Xiao Bo almost?) and that's why Yelu Qi scolded her too. I still don't understand Yelu Qi's decision to marry her.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I vaguely remember Andy Lau's version of ROCH depicting Guo Fu outwitting GongSun Zhi, but it seem more of a sly way (ala Wei Xiao Bo almost?) and that's why Yelu Qi scolded her too. I still don't understand Yelu Qi's decision to marry her.
    It's explained, albeit in a sideways manner, in chapter 32, where Yelu Qi vows to defend Song against the Mongols who had killed his father and brother, and swears brotherhood with the Wu brothers on this. You'll remember that, simultaneously, Yelu Yan, Wanyan Ping and Guo Fu swore sisterhood. Was that in the series?