Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti Virus programs

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    This is related topic. How unsafe is it to disable email scanning in AV? The Symantec EndPoint Protection seems to be the one stopping the download of emails to MS Outlook for one of my colleagues. It the 'Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection' error. I suspect it the AV + line not very fast that caused the problem. But, it only happen lately. He has been using the antivirus for a long time.

I read here that this could be the cause.
    http://www.1usa.com/newsletters/0412...OE-Errors.html

Yes. Given that there are several free antivirus for personal use, NOD32 is considered expensive.
    Even compared to other AV, it's price is on the high range (I guess deservingly so because it's track record).

Anyway, have you use ESET Smart Security 4 before? Is it very resource consuming? I was thinking of whether to change AV for my company. But, decision is not up to me. They have been suing Symantec for so long, they use to it liao. But, Symantec Endpoint Protection has centralised control.

Anyone know any AV that has this feature but is not resource consuming?

Btw, why so many hate Norton? Is it so much worse that other big players like Trendmicro and McAfree.
    If you are buying an AV to be used in a business environment, I would suggest to consider support as first priority. I believe companies such as Norton, McAfee, CA has similar products for corporate use, so if I had to choose one application I would check the support - i.e. the provider response time in case of virus attack...

Btw, why so many hate Norton? Is it so much worse that other big players like Trendmicro and McAfree.
    I did use Norton for a few years and was quite happy with it. The problem was the space that it required, I think about twice Kaspersky and bitconnect. Also slowing down applications. The cost was also higher than the two. One thing for sure, I didn't get problems booting which I did with Kaspersky and bitconenct. Had to call Dell to reinstall my OS. Next year ( after the licence runs out) I'll probably go back to Norton.

I used to use Norton way back then and it was a good anti-virus until it became too big and bloated. I then switched to McAfee but again it was a bloated program. I then read about NOD32 and I'm still with it today.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I did use Norton for a few years and was quite happy with it. The problem was the space that it required, I think about twice Kaspersky and bitconnect. Also slowing down applications. The cost was also higher than the two. One thing for sure, I didn't get problems booting which I did with Kaspersky and bitconenct. Had to call Dell to reinstall my OS. Next year ( after the licence runs out) I'll probably go back to Norton.
    That sucks. That's the reason I buy my PCs from smaller shops, at least I get a copy of the OS and can uninstall and install whenever I want.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Dell did provide installation CDs. My company use a lot of dell computers. They all come with installation CDs.

Note: All my company's Dell PCs are XP and below. So, I don't know about Windows 7. Apparent, Windows 7 don't come with installation CDs anymore. You have make your own recovery CD when you first for your PC. Well, at least, that's the explanation given by the vendor when I asked why the Levono notebook our company bought did not come with an installation CD.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Tried NOD32. Is it indeed very powerful. One notebook was infected by a strong malware that keep locking my Task Manager and Regedit and forbid me to log into save mode and even deleted the antivirus I tried to install to it. When the notebook came to me, the Symantec Ednpoint already gone, but, there's Live Update there. So, I assume the malware also deleted the Symantec there but. I tried scanning with Malwarebytes and another antitrojan but was not able to clean the notebook properly. CCleaner also doesn't work. Malwarebytes was able to detect some malware and deleted it and fix the problem, but, somehow it came back. The powerful Combofix also doesn't work. It changed back the registry entry seconds after I made the changes.

I was not able to connect to the ESET website using that notebook (I don't know why that notebook load ESET website and other online scanning website especially slowly). So, I downloaded NOD32 from a 3rd party website and was able to install it. I tried to scan but doesn't work. The scan stuck in 0%. But, it's protection system keep on popping up some legit files and said it's infected. I deleted some, but, still the problem not solved. So, I left it overnight. Surprisingly, the next day, when I tried scanning using NOD32 again, it worked. It's able to scanned tons of supposedly infected files and a lot of them are legit files, including Live Messenger. Anyway, it deleted/fix most of the files. After that I reactivated the Task Manager and Regedit and they stay activated. I was initially unable to start Safe Mode, even after the clean up. But, today, I use a program to fix 'My Computer Propeties'. I don't know whether it's related or not. But, somehow, I was able to start Safe Mode after that.

NOD32 deleted my Windows Messenger, but, it's a small price to pay for getting the PC to work. I don't know what else it as deleted. So far, the notebook works fine.

Anyone tried Solo Antivirus before?

Symantec support sux. The only thing they are good at is call you up when you license is near expiring to remind you to renew. Now, this 'support' they are very eager to do. Keep calling several times to make sure I renew our license.

Has anyone use Microsoft Security Essentials? How effective it is in protecting the computer?

Default Microsoft

I get security updates from microsoft, other than that I have not tried anything from them. Does it cost much?

I use Bitdefender. It may be good and has won awards but they didn't tell the buyer that if you moved and your IP changed, it scanned every bit of your computer. The computer seemed as if it hanged and not all booting lights lit up. The last time it happened, I thought it was bitdefender that was causing it, so I turned on the computer, left it on for more than 10 hours, et voila, the next morning it booted without any trouble. I had spent money and wasted a lot of time before i figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I get security updates from microsoft, other than that I have not tried anything from them. Does it cost much?

I use Bitdefender. It may be good and has won awards but they didn't tell the buyer that if you moved and your IP changed, it scanned every bit of your computer. The computer seemed as if it hanged and not all booting lights lit up. The last time it happened, I thought it was bitdefender that was causing it, so I turned on the computer, left it on for more than 10 hours, et voila, the next morning it booted without any trouble. I had spent money and wasted a lot of time before i figured it out.
    Does this mean you have to let Bitdefender scan for 10 hours before it stop bothering you?

Does this mean you have to let Bitdefender scan for 10 hours before it stop bothering you?
    When I press the on/off button, the computer has 4 lights that come up as it boots and I usually can see a 'bar' getting longer. Then the windows screen comes up.

When the trouble started, only 1 light or two lights came up, and the bar stopped part of the way and stayed there. Previously, I panicked and turned the computer off and repeated it many times and , thank goodness did not ruin my work station, then finally called Dell. When the serviceman came, it worked fine! I think all that frantic on/off finally completed whatever process was going on. I think it's bitdefender that did it; but it could be some wierdo who's hacking into my computer

Symantec has been scoring high in independent tests lately. I read in one forum that Symantec program and rewritten their code from scratch and it's lighter now.

Now I try ClamWin. He has no control over access, but was able to detect a virus that Symantec was lost. I use it as a second antivirus now.
    Signature containing commercial advertisement removed by moderator.

I developed a hatred for Norton after it was downloaded as an adjunct to another piece of software I purchased. I kept uninstalling it and it would try to download each time I stared my computer. The only way I could stop it was to use the 'kill' function in my firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by qiuyinffy View Post
    Now I try ClamWin. He has no control over access, but was able to detect a virus that Symantec was lost. I use it as a second antivirus now.
    I tried doubling up on antivirus software on the assumption that my PC would be fully protected, but ended up with all kinds of problems. Cannot remember which combination

If you have the money, go with Kaspersky. I used it a few times and it's good at catching stuff. If you want something that is free I would go with AVG or Microsoft Security Essential. I think MSE is the best out of the two because it does a good job in catching viruses and it doesn't take up to much space. AVG is good to if you don't trust Microsoft related stuff. Avoid McAfee like the plague. It's terrible. Never finds anything. If it finds something its a false positive or your computer is already seriously infected. Even if you run scans it probably won't remove them. I used Norton four years ago and I didn't like that either. I heard that it's still bad. I would avoid it too. Either spend more and get Kaspersky or go with something free like AVG or MSE. I've never tried AVAST, Avira, and Bitdefender. I heard those are OK.

Even if you have those always have Malwarebytes and Spybot. These almost always do a better job in finding stuff than your average antivirus. Update and immunize (Spybot feature) regularly. Malwarebytes is a blessing. Spybot catches alot of the small stuff on your computer.

SuperAntiSpyware is good to have to good as well but not really necessary. The name sounds bad but its actually pretty good. It's like a "Plan B" against viruses and malware. The problem I find with SAS is that its a bit slow but it does its job effectively. I've work with computers that was not able to open Malwarebytes and Spybot. In this stage, your computer is really infected. Most of the time I used SAS to fix the computer. If that doesn't work, you should back up your stuff on an external (scan it on a different computer) and reformat. There might be a way to fix it but that's where things might get more advance.
    Last edited by Krimzon; 09-06-11 at 10:32 PM.

The AV I use is free - Panda - and for malwares, I use the free version of Malwarebytes.

I don't have any anti-virus installed in my laptop I just rely with Windows Defender which is a default program in my Windows. Just update it regularly and it will do his job.

Baidu Antivirus makes a good impression to many these days. It is quick, free and easy to install. I was not expecting it to be a reliable and good anti virus program.
    Last edited by tugmashed; 04-24-17 at 02:45 AM.