Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The defend YG thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I

The fact that Yang Guo character can elicit extreme hate and extreme devotion (he top in both the 'favourite' and 'most disliked' poll) already shows that he's a successful character.
    By that standard, so is Gwok Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    By that standard, so is Gwok Fu.
    Guo Fu only seems to generate extreme hate. There's absolutely no love for her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    Guo Fu only seems to generate extreme hate. There's absolutely no love for her at all.
    Who said so? At least we do know that TC loves her....
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    Guo Fu only seems to generate extreme hate.
    That's the point of her character, though. She's memorably hateable (although I have a certain fondness for her myself, considering whom she gave trouble to).

A literature teacher of mine said that the most failed characters are the ones that people completely forget about.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Can't speak for Trien Chieu, but while I don't exactly love Gwok Fu, I feel a strange sense of indebtedness to her and some sympathy for her as well.

Can't speak for Trien Chieu, but while I don't exactly love Gwok Fu, I feel a strange sense of indebtedness to her and some sympathy for her as well.
    I know why you feel that way... Hahahah.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

A literature teacher of mine said that the most failed characters are the ones that people completely forget about.
    With this definition, YG would be a very successful character in KC's eyes

P.S. I dont like the golden pair too
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    LOL, it seems like he's the only one who loves her then. Can't think of anyone else who have sympathised with her.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 09-30-10 at 08:05 PM.

I'm defending YG because I think he's hot. =)

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I'm defending YG because I think he's hot. =)
    I have a problem with this.

I've had a problem with this since 1985.

I'm always going to have a problem with this.

I have a problem with this.

I've had a problem with this since 1985.

I'm always going to have a problem with this.
    I don't expect you to find him hot though. Let it go Ken.

I don't find any man sexy or hot in Jin Yong universe, even though I'm into Asian guys in real life.

However, I do dig the chivalry and honor of those guys in Jin Yong's novels. That has been a worthwhile take away for me.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

However, I do dig the chivalry and honor of those guys in Jin Yong's novels.
    Why is it that when I've tried chivalry and honor in my life, the net result I've gotten has usually been humiliation and ridicule?

Are the laws of physics just different in my world or something?

Why is it that when I've tried chivalry and honor in my life, the net result I've gotten has usually been humiliation and ridicule?
    Even when wuxia heroes perform acts of chivalry, it doesn't always get a good outcome. For example, when Yang Guo helped prevent the Wu brothers from fighting to death, in return he got 1) Xiao Longnu left him (again) due to misunderstanding, 2) Guo Fu chopped off his arm.

Even when wuxia heroes perform acts of chivalry, it doesn't always get a good outcome. For example, when Yang Guo helped prevent the Wu brothers from fighting to death, in return he got 1) Xiao Longnu left him (again) due to misunderstanding, 2) Guo Fu chopped off his arm.
    Yeah, but he got to look cool doing it.

I'm rather hung up on the idea of looking cool to the world by just doing your thing. I've *never* been able to attain this. I'm not even sure why I want it so badly. I just do.

Yeah, but he got to look cool doing it.
    There are 2 qualities that helped him: he was confident and super intelligent. Not everyone has those qualities, and it IS OK!

I'm rather hung up on the idea of looking cool to the world by just doing your thing. I've *never* been able to attain this. I'm not even sure why I want it so badly. I just do.
    Have you analyzed why aren't you able to pull it off?

There are 2 qualities that helped him: he was confident and super intelligent. Not everyone has those qualities, and it IS OK!
    It's OK....it's OK. If only I could convince myself that it's true.

Before I knew Yeung Gor existed, I was reasonably happy because there wasn't such a person in the world...or even in fiction (that I knew) who was like that.

Then, I found out he existed, and others drilled into my head the idea that if I couldn't compare to him, then I was *nothing*. Worthless.

That fatal seed was planted by the judgment of others. Therefore, it's removal must also be accomplished through the judgment of others. I can't do it for myself...that would have the air of illegitimacy...of cheating.

I mean, are you great because you *think* of yourself as being great, or because the rest of the world does? Which is more legitimate? The way you see yourself, or the way the world sees you?

Have you analyzed why aren't you able to pull it off?
    I've been trying without much success.

Ken, you shouldn't care what others think of you I know it's easier said than done. The most important thing in life is that you are HAPPY and if you are nothing really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Ken, you shouldn't care what others think of you I know it's easier said than done. The most important thing in life is that you are HAPPY and if you are nothing really matters.
    I think part of the problem is that I grew up in a family where the majority of the members b*tch and criticize each other constantly...sometimes openly, sometimes behind each other's backs. They NEVER pass up on an opportunity to bring each other down. I don't know what's in their DNA. I'm sad and embarrassed that I have that DNA in me too, although the good part is that for the most part (unlike them), I've been able to control it. They're all family. Supposedly, we all care about each other. Funny way we've always had of showing it, though.

My elementary/junior/high school experience paralleled my family one. I don't know if that was just coincidence/bad luck, or if my family experience contaminated my school one. It disappeared in college and doesn't directly affect my relationships with people in adult life, however, at least not in a direct, obvious way (unless my "fights" here on the Internet count).

I feel like I've spent almost my entire life, since I've been able to think, looking over my shoulder watching out for people trying to humiliate/degrade me, and that the only way to be safe is to find the figure they admire most/never degrade and try to be BETTER than that figure in every way. This is the root source of my previous hatred of Yeung Gor.

I think part of the problem is that I grew up in a family where the majority of the members b*tch and criticize each other constantly...sometimes openly, sometimes behind each other's backs. They NEVER pass up on an opportunity to bring each other down. I don't know what's in their DNA. I'm sad and embarrassed that I have that DNA in me too, although the good part is that for the most part (unlike them), I've been able to control it. They're all family. Supposedly, we all care about each other. Funny way we've always had of showing it, though.

My elementary/junior/high school experience paralleled my family one. I don't know if that was just coincidence/bad luck, or if my family experience contaminated my school one. It disappeared in college and doesn't directly affect my relationships with people in adult life, however, at least not in a direct, obvious way (unless my "fights" here on the Internet count).

I feel like I've spent almost my entire life, since I've been able to think, looking over my shoulder watching out for people trying to humiliate/degrade me, and that the only way to be safe is to find the figure they admire most/never degrade and try to be BETTER than that figure in every way. This is the root source of my previous hatred of Yeung Gor.
    I think most families like to gossip behind ones back however in your situation it sounds a more serious. It sucks but it's normal for teenagers to be mean so I guess your cousins are much nicer now right.

It must be really hard to put a defensive wall or mask to protect yourself from other people, but not all people are like that. So you should take the risk and try to trust people again.