Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hitman Chronicles 《 大 刺 客 》 (1997)

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Hery everybody! The long weekend just started here in Australia so I am planning to watch this series in the spare time. I tackled three stories today after work and just finished the 3rd story of "The Assassination of Ma".

Even though it is quite a sad story, I quite like it. I think Cheung Man Cheung (Chin Siu Ho) handed himself in so he could tell everyone what sort of man Ma Sun Yee (Cheung Kwok Keung) really was. There was a lot of political tension at the time and Man Cheung wanted people to know that Ma Sun Yee died for his betrayal of his sworn brothers and not because of his political position as a governor. I think in that way, he could show his son that a real man should take responsibility for his actions, and not make excuses in order to cover up his crimes.

If you have watched Andy Lau's "The Warlords" which is an adaptation of this story, the 3rd brother handed himself in and he felt he needed to punished for killing his sworn brother. They had taken a blood oath to protect and standby each other forever, yet two ended up killing another. Even though 3rd brother killed 1st brother for a righteous reason, he still broke his oath and he though he deserved a painful death, just as 1st brother did for killing 2nd brother.

The story is actually based on a true story and it was never explained why Ma Sun Yee was assassinated so it had opened the doors for all the fiction writers to fill in the gaps. Some say it was for political reasons and some say it was for personal reasons.
    Didn't know it was based on a true story. I think he had killed the second and the forth brother but I don't think it was ever reveal and only the audience knows. I used to just cry a puddle of tears when chin siu ho's character dies =(

Just out of curiosity what is long weekend in Australia? Does that apply to everyone?

I watched and finished this series in Viet language on youtube few weeks ago. If you look at the modern day perspective, all the characters in most stories are pretty dumb for what they do. Most people would not do what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I watched and finished this series in Viet language on youtube few weeks ago. If you look at the modern day perspective, all the characters in most stories are pretty dumb for what they do. Most people would not do what they do.
    Do you care to elaborate? I thought about what you said and a lot of them wanted to assassinate the king or a higher official for people to have a better life or for revenge.

In Terry's case I recall he wanted revenge and one of his friend told him the new ruler is not bad, treating people well and the people are happy. But he was very loyal and told the friend we choose different paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Do you care to elaborate? I thought about what you said and a lot of them wanted to assassinate the king or a higher official for people to have a better life or for revenge.

In Terry's case I recall he wanted revenge and one of his friend told him the new ruler is not bad, treating people well and the people are happy. But he was very loyal and told the friend we choose different paths.
    In the first case, the guy put his good son to death just to save a prince from other country. His son was good to him, you could not ask for a better son. How could he sacrifice his son like that? Why did he assassinate the king of his country just to help the new guy become king? The new guy is very cunning and ruthless, not much better than the current king.

In the second case, Jing Ke could have a great life with his lover, but he dumped it all away to assassinate Qin Shi Huang.

In the third case, the guy could just ran away with his wife and new born child, but no. He surrendered and got the death penalty leaving his wife and new born child orphan.

The fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh cases made senses. Lious had no choice but to revenge for all the innocent people who got killed senselessly. Noel also had no choice but revenge for her master. Even though I hope for Noel to have good ending with the main guy, but it made sense that they did not end up together. Terry had a very tragic ending but it made sense. I don't blame him for wanting revenge. The last case also make sense to me, you can't blame Lu Xiniang for wanting revenge given what Yong Zheng murdered all the martial brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Oh wow thanks for all the explanations, actually opened my eyes lol so probably they're not actually dumb after all then. Just how I wish there are movies like these again.

Basically, most political assassins kill because they believe in a better future for the common people and are willing to sacrifice themselves for it. They operate under a different set of values whether they put others before self and martyrdom is considered honorable. It can be hard for us modern people to understand because we are taught to look out for ourselves first before looking out for other people.

In Terry's case, he was devoted to his master even though he was not that great a ruler or that great a guy. However, his master showed his kindness and appreciation when no one else did and to him, that was very important and he viewed that he needed to repay that kindness. So when his master did, he gave up everything to avenge his master. Even though he did understand in the end that the ? Duke of Zhao was in fact a great and honorable guy, he still was stubborn because he couldn't neglect his master's kindness towards him. Back in the olden times, loyalty to the death was a very valued trait.

I think what this series tries to explain that though the assassins might not be the smartest person since they gave all yet did not live to enjoy the fruits, their honour and devotion is admirable.

Just out of curiosity what is long weekend in Australia? Does that apply to everyone?
    And it was Anzac day long weekend to commemorate the landing of Australian and New Zealand soldiers in Gallipoli in WW1. Lots of people died cos some idiot commander thought it would be a great idea to land on a beach with steep cliff all around it, but still the soldiers followed through their orders and fought bravely til they died. It applies to everyone in Australia every April 25th.
    Last edited by charbydis; 05-13-16 at 10:37 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Basically, most political assassins kill because they believe in a better future for the common people and are willing to sacrifice themselves for it. They operate under a different set of values whether they put others before self and martyrdom is considered honorable. It can be hard for us modern people to understand because we are taught to look out for ourselves first before looking out for other people.

In Terry's case, he was devoted to his master even though he was not that great a ruler or that great a guy. However, his master showed his kindness and appreciation when no one else did and to him, that was very important and he viewed that he needed to repay that kindness. So when his master did, he gave up everything to avenge his master. Even though he did understand in the end that the ? Duke of Zhao was in fact a great and honorable guy, he still was stubborn because he couldn't neglect his master's kindness towards him. Back in the olden times, loyalty to the death was a very valued trait.

I think what this series tries to explain that though the assassins might not be the smartest person since they gave all yet did not live to enjoy the fruits, their honour and devotion is admirable.

And it was Anzac day long weekend to commemorate the landing of Australian and New Zealand soldiers in Gallipoli in WW1. Lots of people died cos some idiot commander thought it would be a great idea to land on a beach with steep cliff all around it, but still the soldiers followed through their orders and fought bravely til they died. It applies to everyone in Australia every April 25th.
    Interesting, I just learned something new. Quite tragic...

Wow I do not even remember in the first case the guy killed his own son.

I always thought it was sad that in Louis case, the wife went through all the trouble to dig the tunnel and get him out and he dies at the very end.