6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shen (Cantonese: San)

5 83.33%
  • The Overlord of Chinese Communism

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God's words -vs- Mao's words

Default God's words -vs- Mao's words

Why are God and Mao Tse Tung pitted against each other in this poll?

Because, accordingly, their words are the 2 best-selling books of all time: The Bible and Chairman Mao's Quotations have each sold over 1,000,000,000 copies internationally.

Whose words make a better read?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I wonder how many forumers here have actually read Mao's quotations.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

The only compariable between the two that I could think of would be, God has longer hair while Mao has a big patch of hair missing in the center of his head.

As for the words, I barely know Mao's word çause I thought he'd only drive a tank to finish the unfinished and talk less.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Bible's sold over 6 billion, up to 1992. Little Red Book doesn't keep up.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Whose words make a better read?
    God's.

Can't beat sex, incest, violence, mass murder, natural disaster etc all in one. I hear there are lepers, midgets, donkeys, prostitutes and a couple of zombies too!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

The Bible hasn't been required reading at the point of a gun for over a hundred years. Mao only about 25 or so.

Aside for the popularity of Bible, I find it a good read when one needs guidence for the soul, especially when in need for peace and calm. I'm not so sure what I can spiritually gain from Mao's word though. I'm sure I can find wiser words than his if I'd chuck the bible aside.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Is the bible really a read for peace? The parts that I’ve read are pretty violent and make me wanna kick someone’s ***, especially Jews.

I would recommend going for Buddism if peace is your thing. Less judgmental and wiser than Christianity in terms of peace of mind. Christianity isn’t about peace of mind anyway.

Anyway, I dispute that the bible are “god’s words.” Written by men after all. I dunno of anyone who has proven he talks with god yet.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Maybe if you sacrifice your eldest son to God, he might talk to you. Either he will, or the police will.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Anyway, I dispute that the bible are “god’s words.” Written by men after all. I dunno of anyone who has proven he talks with god yet.
    You are correct. The Bible was penned down by men and those men are all dead. To my knowledge, the Bible is the only book that has claimed to be inspired by God (it's in the scriptures).

Is the bible really a read for peace? The parts that I’ve read are pretty violent and make me wanna kick someone’s ***, especially Jews.

I would recommend going for Buddism if peace is your thing. Less judgmental and wiser than Christianity in terms of peace of mind. Christianity isn’t about peace of mind anyway.

Agree. Buddism makes much more logical sense. And yes bible was written by men, not god. I don't think god exists anyway. If god exists, we would be in the paradise already. Violence, crime, poverty, sickness, ect... wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-05-09 at 06:46 PM.

Some Buddhist sects were quite violent in their day.

It's a realistic walk with Christianity, though it really takes time to come to realise how it all made sense.

For Buddhism, I have come to realise (yet can't rationalise hence traumatised) why is there a need for so many "gods" in Buddhism. So I gave up.

i.e Words sent to the men, God's followers/disciples, and the words are jot down in the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post

i.e Words sent to the men, God's followers/disciples, and the words are jot down in the bible.
    True, but think of this as a 'passing word' game. We all know what always happen in the process and in the end.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    True, but think of this as a 'passing word' game. We all know what always happen in the process and in the end.
    It's not through one after the other though, messages are sent to the individual disciples of His, directly and through trials of events. I'm sure when you have gone through trials of events your journals are written more passionately due to the impression that are hard to waiver.

It's not through one after the other though, messages are sent to the individual disciples of His, directly and through trials of events. I'm sure when you have gone through trials of events your journals are written more passionately due to the impression that are hard to waiver.
    Then are they the words of God, or merely the experiences of the men who felt enlightened/divinely-inspired by their trials?

Then are they the words of God, or merely the experiences of the men who felt enlightened/divinely-inspired by their trials?
    It consists of both.

For Buddhism, I have come to realise (yet can't rationalise hence traumatised) why is there a need for so many "gods" in Buddhism. So I gave up.
    You were traumatised by this? There are more traumatising teachings in Buddhism than multiple gods. What's so traumatising about having many gods?

I thought the fact that you have to pay for your wrongdoings yourself (instead of giving them all to Jesus/God) will be way more traumatising.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

It consists of both.
    Then how would you know it's not more of the latter than the former? How would you know the men's feelings of being enlightened and divinely-inspired is not a mere feeling?

But the same can be said otherwise. It's best never to take everything for granted when there is no evidence of anything. The statement "I don't know" itself is a wisdom.

I thought the fact that you have to pay for your wrongdoings yourself (instead of giving them all to Jesus/God) will be way more traumatising.
    But that's more fair. I think that's the way it should be too. Pushing it all to Jesus/God is just being cruel and irresponsible. What do we learn, in the end? Nothing. Because we were never made to be responsible.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 11-06-09 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    You were traumatised by this? There are more traumatising teachings in Buddhism than multiple gods. What's so traumatising about having many gods?
    More traumatising teachings in Buddhism than multiple gods? Lol ok, let's not go that far. (Or, you'll have to be ready for the questionaire of "What is so traumatising about the teachings in Buddhism??")

I know the idea of having multiple gods is not as traumatising than the fact that there are some gods who are hemi-devillish (or something like that) among the multiples.

Such teaching is just sad, I would say. If that is the only religion that exist, I'd be better off living without a religion.

Then how would you know it's not more of the latter than the former? How would you know the men's feelings of being enlightened and divinely-inspired is not a mere feeling?
    I wish I could show you, but I can't. If I could, I would've have preached to so many others and probably preachers would not need to do anything to convince anyone as they will simply believe in the religion.

Things have changed, since I have been a believer (though backslides happens). If anyone wishes to depend on their own wisdom than a religion, it's beyond me.

Where does one's wisdom come from, anyway? What/who gives it to them?

But the same can be said otherwise. It's best never to take everything for granted when there is no evidence of anything.
    I would still continue to believe that there is only a God. I know this is the time that I should persist and I'm happy even if I am proven wrong and that nothing exist. I have no regrets in my choice.

The statement "I don't know" itself is a wisdom.
    This rather address my mind to "Ignorance is bliss."