Thread: Which Miss Hong Kong's are your favorite actresses??

Default Which Miss Hong Kong's are your favorite actresses??

I can see that many think that a lot of Ms. Hks cannot act. I don't think that is 100% true, especially with the older Ms Hks. Many of the talented actresses back then came from the Ms. Hk pageants. Some of my favorites are:
    Angie Chiu-won 4th place in 1973 is a great actress
    Maggie Cheung Man Yuk-won 2nd place in 1983 and is now a successful actress
    Barbara Yung-was one of the semifinalists in 1982 and is now a legendary actress
    Kathy Chow-participated in 1985 and is now a great actress
    Anita Yuen-won in 1990 and is a great actress
    Rebecca Chan-forgot which year, but is a great actress
    Noel Leung-won 3rd in 1990 and is a good actress
    THeresa Lee-won 3rd in 1994 and is a great actress
    and many more...

Which are your favorites?? For the newer actresses, I sort of like Myolie wu who got
    3rd place in 1999. But most of the new Ms Hks cannot act that well in my opinion...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I have seen work by most of the Miss HK turned actresses in your list and absolutely agreed with you on their talents. I haven't seen any of Theresa Lee, what is her chinese name?

But I must say, Kathy Chow is my most favorite among these. Her first TVB series is with Ray Lui and Idy Chan "The Upheaval", right? Being Idy's fan, I didn't have any problems watching her in TU, since her performance was quite amazing for a newcomer working along with experienced actors like Ray and Idy. I recently just saw her latest TVB "In the Chamber of Bliss" too, she sure has proven herself all these years that she now belongs in the elite veterans.

Here are two of photos of her and Ray in make up room last year while Ray was working on "Born Rich" and "ITCOB" for Kathy. How lovely!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20081014/saa01/_14MF001_.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20081014/saa01/_14MF002_.jpg')

I like maggie cheung ho yee's acting

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I can see that many think that a lot of Ms. Hks cannot act. I don't think that is 100% true, especially with the older Ms Hks. Many of the talented actresses back then came from the Ms. Hk pageants. Some of my favorites are:
    Angie Chiu-won 4th place in 1973 is a great actress
    Maggie Cheung Man Yuk-won 2nd place in 1983 and is now a successful actress
    Barbara Yung-was one of the semifinalists in 1982 and is now a legendary actress
    Kathy Chow-participated in 1985 and is now a great actress
    Anita Yuen-won in 1990 and is a great actress
    Rebecca Chan-forgot which year, but is a great actress
    Noel Leung-won 3rd in 1990 and is a good actress
    THeresa Lee-won 3rd in 1994 and is a great actress
    and many more...

Which are your favorites?? For the newer actresses, I sort of like Myolie wu who got
    3rd place in 1999. But most of the new Ms Hks cannot act that well in my opinion...
    My favorite is Barbara Yung. However, I agree with you that the ones your list are great actresses
    I thought Ada Choi was the one who won 3rd in 1990, not Noel Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura13 View Post
    I have seen work by most of the Miss HK turned actresses in your list and absolutely agreed with you on their talents. I haven't seen any of Theresa Lee, what is her chinese name?

But I must say, Kathy Chow is my most favorite among these. Her first TVB series is with Ray Lui and Idy Chan "The Upheaval", right? Being Idy's fan, I didn't have any problems watching her in TU, since her performance was quite amazing for a newcomer working along with experienced actors like Ray and Idy. I recently just saw her latest TVB "In the Chamber of Bliss" too, she sure has proven herself all these years that she now belongs in the elite veterans.

Here are two of photos of her and Ray in make up room last year while Ray was working on "Born Rich" and "ITCOB" for Kathy. How lovely!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20081014/saa01/_14MF001_.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20081014/saa01/_14MF002_.jpg')
    Theresa Lee's Chinese name is Lee Yee Hung. I am not sure which series was Kathy's first but I thought it was Yang's Saga(she made that in 1985 when she was only 19)?? I can be wrong though.

Yea, I saw those pictures and I am glad that Ray and Kathy have made up. THey used to be married and are now divorced. I remember that they used to be sort of "cold" with each other and would ignore each other when they filmed "Ao Jian Jiang Hu". Therefore, it is great to see that they are friendly with each other again....

Kathy is one of my favorites as well and I love her acting.... It is great to see her all of these years...
    Last edited by Trinie; 12-19-09 at 09:14 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    My favorite is Barbara Yung. However, I agree with you that the ones your list are great actresses
    I thought Ada Choi was the one who won 3rd in 1990, not Noel Leung.
    No Ada Choi won 3rd place in 1991. That was the year that Amy Kwok won.... Valerie Chow won second place.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbdude View Post
    I like maggie cheung ho yee's acting
    I have not seen her act yet but heard she is a good actress. I saw her compete in 1994 and she did a good job and got 4th place. She also won the award for the contestant with the most potential for acting.

I believe Mariane Chan was from the Miss HK pageant as well, though I don't remember what year. She is such a fabulous actress...I really miss her. =/

Kenix Kwok is also from one of the pageants, but she didn't not win that year. Her acting is alright, I guess....certainly better than the newer actresses nowadays.

I absolutely adooorreee Kathy Chow! She gets more and more beautiful as she ages. Time Before Time is such a classic series. Ray and Kathy's relationship is certainly an interesting one.....funny how he played her father-in-law in Ao Jian Jiang Hu. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I believe Mariane Chan was from the Miss HK pageant as well, though I don't remember what year. She is such a fabulous actress...I really miss her. =/

Kenix Kwok is also from one of the pageants, but she didn't not win that year. Her acting is alright, I guess....certainly better than the newer actresses nowadays.

I absolutely adooorreee Kathy Chow! She gets more and more beautiful as she ages. Time Before Time is such a classic series. Ray and Kathy's relationship is certainly an interesting one.....funny how he played her father-in-law in Ao Jian Jiang Hu. o_O
    I think if I remember correctly, Mariane Chan was from the 1993 Ms. Hk pageant. Kenix Kwok was as well. I think they were both in the top 5 but were the 2 that did not win.... Let me look it up in my old magazines.

I heard that Kathy and Ray ignored each other while filming Ao Jian Jiang Hu. However, I am happy that they are at least on talking terms now and can hopefully be normal friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    thanks for your info on Theresa Lee, I believe I saw in some movie a long while ago.

I guess you're right about The Yangs' Saga is Kathy's first series. However, I don't regard "Yangs.." as an official series even though the cast was truly star-studded, and I can't really credit anyone's acting in such a short and commercially production. So I'd say "The Upheaval" is Kathy Chow's first series. Again, she was just amazing in there, and she has aged gracefully.

She and Ray were married for only a few months right? and they got married in the States right? I heard that Kathy is dating someone in China showbiz and he is younger than her many years.

well, i like all those that won in 1991then, amy kwok, valerie chow and ada choi. valerie was awesome in 'chungking express' and in an atv series, healing hearts with kenny b and jackie lui.

i like kenix and anita yuen too and both maggie cheung and barbara yeung. sorry to kathy chow's fans but i'm not too keen on her. i like elizabeth lee too.

i think the newer generation are not so good e.g. myolie wu, charmaine sheh (passable ok sometimes), kate tsui (my goodness!?), mandy cho, anne heung, lee san san....

Quote Originally Posted by sakura13 View Post
    thanks for your info on Theresa Lee, I believe I saw in some movie a long while ago.

I guess you're right about The Yangs' Saga is Kathy's first series. However, I don't regard "Yangs.." as an official series even though the cast was truly star-studded, and I can't really credit anyone's acting in such a short and commercially production. So I'd say "The Upheaval" is Kathy Chow's first series. Again, she was just amazing in there, and she has aged gracefully.

She and Ray were married for only a few months right? and they got married in the States right? I heard that Kathy is dating someone in China showbiz and he is younger than her many years.
    You are welcome. Theresa Lee is a good actress and you should see more of her. She has been married to a Canadian and has a son.SHe took break from acting but has been back.

I consider Yang's Saga a series since it is longer than the typical movie. It was an anniversary series so I still count it as a series. Kathy has aged really well.

I don't know how long they were married for, but heard they were married in the states. I had a feeling that their marriage did not last long anyways.Yea, I heard that Kathy's current boyfriend is a businessman that is 10 years younger than her.
    Last edited by Trinie; 12-22-09 at 03:10 PM.

Banned

i like valerie chow and ada choi

I like Halina Tam a lot... sadly, she kind of stopped acting in serials, and now, when she's past her prime, she's starting to take on a lot of supporting roles. She's still good-looking, though.

I couldn't stand Pauline Yeung or Shalin Tse or Michelle Reis, and find that the runner-ups or other participants tend to do better on screen (even if they aren't so picture perfect). I love Ada Choi, Noel Leung and Kenix Kwok in particular. Charmaine Sheh, even though I dislike her repetitive goody-two-shoes characters, is also a great actress (who really should get more villain opportunities).

Now I'm looking at Tracy Ip. She's very likeable in small roles, but, for now, struggles with the bigger and deeper roles. Here's hoping she improves and entertains us for a while yet. =)