Thread: How much would you trust Wong Yu Yin's martial arts assessment skills?

Default How much would you trust Wong Yu Yin's martial arts assessment skills?

In DGSD, Wong Yu Yin was depicted as an expert of all things martial arts...at least in theory. She couldn't fight at all, but other characters had great faith in her ability to assess martial arts.

Based on what you saw in DGSD, however, how well-deserved was this reputation? Would you personally trust Wong Yu Yin's assessments, or was her miss-to-hit ratio not as high for you to be willing to trust the percentages?

She would know the theoretical counter to any given technique, but combat is dynamic and the person performing her counters would have to have decent external and internal to back it all up.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

she had enough tactical knowledge to pinpoint the weaknesses of any move and the specific counter for it. but she has not had any practice so her ability to use those skills is limited. she has good enough senses and insight to identify a skill even one that was hidden under the guise of another, even the sect members most familiar with the skill did not notice the difference. if she decided to practice martial arts, she should have the potential to be as good as LQS.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I don't think there were any 'misses' in her hit-miss ratio; the only time she wasn't able to identify a martial arts correctly was when it was super rare/secret (LBWB, 6MSJ, Xiaoyao arts, etc.).
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I think I'd trust her if I was devising a general strategy to fight someone, say a duel we scheduled in advance. Plenty of physical competitions where the coach is nowhere, and never was, as great as the people he is coaching for or against, but they do a damn good job of actually coaching.

If WYY could not identify rare or secret techniques, then maybe she would not be able to identify a brand spankin' new one either. What I'm really curious about was how come those pugilists were so uncreative as to practice the same moves generations down the line. I think the human element should be seriously considered in combat, Wang Yu Yan is not psychic after all. She's just very well read and possibly a highly talented strategist. Thus, I would trust any advice she gives me, but I'd be careful to cover my own a$$ at the same time.

Wang Yu Yan = next LQS? She's got great potential, in theory anyway.
    I like me.

it's not a matter of punches and kicks, each move from a martial arts school would be refined and improved for maximum effectiveness, it's easy to create moves own your own, and each school guards it's secrets well. for WWY to possess such knowledge is amazing.

it's not a matter of punches and kicks, each move from a martial arts school would be refined and improved for maximum effectiveness, it's not easy to create moves own your own, and each school guards it's secrets well. for WWY to possess such knowledge is amazing.
    Last edited by kyss of the sword; 05-03-10 at 06:37 AM. Reason: left out 'not'

Was WYY able to point out martial arts stances ahead of time quickly enough against fighters that are actually good? It seems silly that she could say the moves faster than the fighters could execute them.

In LOCH, H7G did the same thing to one of the Jin flunkies but as the flunky sped up his stances, even H7G wasn't able to point them out fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Was WYY able to point out martial arts stances ahead of time quickly enough against fighters that are actually good? It seems silly that she could say the moves faster than the fighters could execute them.

In LOCH, H7G did the same thing to one of the Jin flunkies but as the flunky sped up his stances, even H7G wasn't able to point them out fast enough.
    I always thought in these kinds of situations, people in wuxia times would have to speak 5-10 times faster than the modern human mouth in order to deliver the words in time.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post

That's what I thought, she recognize the stances and moves of the fighter and might predict what the next move would be to counterattack. But if the fighter is too fast, her counterattack strategy might come too late to counter it. Like someone said, she might not be dynamic enough.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I'm thinking maybe if the technique has more than one strike to it, like a combo. Then she can provide a counter for the last stroke as soon as she recognises the first stroke.

Sure but that also means the DGSD fighters were pretty pathetic not to be able to figure it out and switch it up. Were they really that fixed into their techniques?

if it was just a matter of a single punch or kick, then she could just shout out the direction. i think each move is a series of short moves, a combo move. 'like turn your waist and slash your sword to the left, then suddenly down to the leg'. she's able to recognize the move XF made as soon as he moved but did not have time to shout it out in time. she could recognize the moves of lower level fighters much faster. greats such of XF's level have improved to the point they don't reveal the moves until the point the unlease their strike.