Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The More You Give the More You Receive

Default The More You Give the More You Receive

'The more you give the more you receive'.

I recently heard my mom relate to me an article she read that says the more one gives (to charity) the more one will receive. That's the law of the universe.

Base on your personal experience, how true is this saying to you?
    Last edited by kidd; 05-16-10 at 10:08 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Is charity like doing good deeds? Based on my personal experience...the more good deeds I do, the more bad deeds I get done to me. True story.

Maybe I have not lived long enough to witness this "law of the universe" your mommy is talking about? My mommy told me that some of us really can't be nice to others for those others will take advantage of you...and this has been proven to be true in her lifetime. ::scratches head::

I'd have to get back to you in 30 or so years...I'd like not to be tired of good deeds, but other human beings are not making this easy.

And, I'm sure my case is not exceptional here either.
    I like me.

Yeah, the world has come to the stage where robbers can fake injury or in need of help and when you go and help them, they rob you. It makes the people very cautious to put out a helping hand to help people.

But, what if we look from another perspective. The good deed you receive did not come from the person you did good deed to by from another source. Has this happen to you?

For example, you help someone. That person repay your kindness with ingratitude. But, do you find that when you need help, it will so happen that some help will come along? Just a thought.

The "more" aspect is possibly subjective.

e.g. in terms of money, it is unlikely that the more one gives, the more one receives.
    perhaps, in terms of satisfaction/inner happiness - the more one can receive.

You receive things due to either merit, debt, luck or pity.
    If you spend your whole life giving, but no one knows or recognises it, chances are you won't get squat, unless you're lucky or reduced to such a state that people take pity on you.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Base on your personal experience, how true is this say to you?
    True. I don't expect a repayment when I give but people almost always give back, and when they do it's always in greater measure.

this almost sound like the catchphrase that has been used in some churches that preaches the 'prosperity gospel'.

Usually it goes like this, 'the more you give (to the Lord: ie. thithe more) the more you receive.

Your lack of prosperity denotes a lack of faith...to increase your faith, you must give more.

and all the pastors are rich people who drive big cars, immense themselves in a lap of luxury. it is approved because this is a testimony to their faith as well as a blessed life.

well, but personally, i guess it seemed to be true. there has always been people in my life willing to help me when im in trouble.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

kidd;934691
    But, what if we look from another perspective. The good deed you receive did not come from the person you did good deed to by from another source. Has this happen to you?

For example, you help someone. That person repay your kindness with ingratitude. But, do you find that when you need help, it will so happen that some help will come along? Just a thought.
    In truth, I've kind of stopped thinking about doing good deeds or charity towards others...that is, I've stopped designating my actions as being good/charitable versus bad/uncharitable. This is because, well, it simply requires too much thought processes. LoL I was raised to be nice to other people simply for the sake of being nice. However, I think I've lost sight of this somewhere and started going out of my way to be kind towards people who here [in hindsight] undeserving. Why? Maybe I wanted to be absolutely sure that I would be positively identifiable from less charitable people. I really don't know. To address your question, I believe the world works in mysterious ways, and we can't always dictate or know if we are some of the lucky few for whom everything will work out in the end. Will our kindness be repaid by other seemingly random acts of kindness? Sometimes, sure; usually, not. After all, this is reality, and she can be a harsh teacher.

As of right now, I will continue to do what I feel is right, so if I feel that I don't need to give someone the benefit of the doubt, then I won't. My moral compass is in fine working order, and has yet to lead me towards a more dubious road, but I'm starting to believe that it needs tweaking towards the not-so-righteous path.

True. I don't expect a repayment when I give but people almost always give back, and when they do it's always in greater measure.
    It's true. Some of us are more fortunate than others. Happy for you!
    I like me.

i think, the idea is, learn to LOVE, and then doing things for other will never be a chore, nor a struggle between conscience. when you love the person, you will want to do things for them, in a good way.

I guess, its more like, the more you love, the move you will be loved. this statement seemed very true.
    o wilku mowa...♪

I read several experience on tithing and abundance and those people always said after they started tithing, their finances improves.

Tithing is compulsory for Christians, right?

So, Christians here, can you tell me what is your experience with tithing? Does it improve your financial situation or those who write about their good experience with it are really the lucky few?

it's not receiving in monetary terms. it's probably more receiving in terms of contentment or even developing skills.

Unless it was meant in the mafia way. You don't do favours you collect debts.

The more you give, the more you've given. There may be some meta-meaning as well, but only the above is logically true.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    The more you give, the more you've given. There may be some meta-meaning as well, but only the above is logically true.
    My experience has generally been closer to, "the more you give, the more gets thrown back into your face."

Too bad there's no smiley available for wry, bitter smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    My experience has generally been closer to, "the more you give, the more gets thrown back into your face."

Too bad there's no smiley available for wry, bitter smiles.
    LoL I concur.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I read several experience on tithing and abundance and those people always said after they started tithing, their finances improves.

Tithing is compulsory for Christians, right?

So, Christians here, can you tell me what is your experience with tithing? Does it improve your financial situation or those who write about their good experience with it are really the lucky few?
    not all christians though, thithing is not compulsory in the catholic church.

but my financial situation has been pretty healthy all along, regardless of the donation i pledged. maybe i should start to donate more to see a windfall? lol.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The more you give, the poorer you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    The more you give, the poorer you are.
    For your views you will always get bashing in modern civilisation. But I feel that you are the one who will excel if dropped into a "Survivor" kind of scenario.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    For your views you will always get bashing in modern civilisation. But I feel that you are the one who will excel if dropped into a "Survivor" kind of scenario.
    I only speak the truth and truth often doesn't sound good. I don't want to be politically correct and telling lie here in the internet. Of course I don't talk like this in real life.

Modern civilization mostly telling people what they like to hear but hardly teach people to be practical. How often you hear politicians talk about freedom and how great it is? all the times isn't it? How often do you hear them talk about freedom comes with responsibility and action has consequences? Very seldom right??

I often hear people complain about credit card debt and the high interest that cost them like $200-$400 every month. They keep blaming credit card companies being blood sucker but you know what, it's their own fault. It's their own actions that put them at where they are. Family and friend keep telling me that I should go back to VietNam for holidays as I haven't going back since I move to Canada. But you know what, I refuse to go not because I don't have the money but I rather have the money in the bank than spend it. It's being practical. I don't live for the moment.

Guo Xiang, life is about survival not politically correct. Today might be sunny, tomorrow might be raining and the next day might have a big hurricane like Katrina. I am the only one I have, if I don't care about myself, who will? It won't be sunny everyday for me in the future, so if I don't plan ahead when the rain comes I will be in trouble and when a big hurricane comes I will be doom. People will bash me for being selfish, but I work hard for what I have, I spend my hard earn dollars wisely, and keep the leftover for rainy/hurricane days. I do not do anything illegal. They can bash me all they want and I don't feel bad about it because I don't do anything wrong. I live the life to make me happy and make sure I am safe. I don't care about what other people think about me, I don't need their approval for anything. Sorry for so much politically incorrect, but trust me, it's handy for survival.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 07-18-10 at 12:53 AM.

If you're filthy rich, the more you give to charity, the more you receive - because you pay less tax.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."