Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Wu Lin Wai Shi

Default hahaha nice translation

this is MIA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlY0VOFtyA&feature=fvst
    some how this passage reminds me of this song.

Shen Lang APPEARS! I missed him .

Although pulling this cliffhanger stunt again is killing my nerves, Hoju. Oh, how I regret not taking Chinese class when I had the chance. Thanks for all your hard work. I know I keep saying this, but I do greatly appreciate you taking out the time to translate. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to read about SL. Will patiently await your next update.

Chapter 9 continued.....
    --------------------------------------------------

By now, Jin Wuwang had starting asking questions again. “Did you exchange blows with a black-clothed woman?”

Xiong Mao’er still did not answer and again countered with a question. “You know her?”

Irritated, Jin Wuwang snapped, “Am I the one asking you questions or are you the one asking me?”

Xiong Mao’er broke out into loud laughter. “I really should not have asked that. If you did not know her, why would you have asked me? Yes, I did fight her.” His eyes burned intently into Jin Wuwang as he carried on slowly, “Not only did I fight her, I also know she is a descendant of Jiangzuo Situ. Those two… two guniang next to the fire, I seized them from her. Those objects covering the wine gourd are the concealed weapon, ‘Yan Yu Duan Chang Si’ [Misty Rain Intestine Severing Silk], which belongs solely to the Jiangzuo Situ family and whose poison’s lethalness is second only to ‘Ceaseless Heavenly Clouds Five Flowers[7].’ ”

Jin Wuwang’s countenance changed ever so slightly. In one stride, he had brushed over beside the fire and lowered his head to look down. Bai Feifei did not dare look at his face, but Zhu Qiqi glared back at him.

Xiong Mao’er spoke again, “Besides their skill in concealed weaponry, Jiangzuo Situ’s exquisite appearance altering art has also long been known in jianghu, only I could not tell that the two of them had had their appearances altered…”

Jin Wuwang’s voice was icy. “If you could tell, it would not be exquisite then.”

A thought suddenly came to Shen Lang as he spoke up, “Friend, if you have this wine gourd which specializes in breaking all the concealed weaponry attacks of every sect and school – this divinely magnetic gourd made of magnetic material of the East China Sea and known as ‘Heaven and Earth Contained in One Bag’ – then you surely must have also studied the Situ method of appearance alteration. Could you use your remarkably skilled hands to reveal these two guniangs’ true appearances for us to see?”

Xiong Mao’er laughed, “So you know about the background of the ‘Heaven and Earth Contained in One Bag’ too. Unfortunately, though, I do not have those remarkable hands that you, Friend speak about. Even if these two guniang were heavenly fairies transformed into human form, we still would not have the fortune of glimpsing their true faces.”

Wu Lao Si could not help jumping in. “Isn’t it easy to undo appearance alterations? Let Xiaodi use some water and wash them up. If washing will not get rid of it, at most, we just need to use a knife to scrape a little bit and it will be done.”

Xiong Mao’er burst out in chuckles. “From what you’ve said, Jiangzuo Situ’s appearance altering technique is no different from the ones of stage actors. The Situ appearance altering art is renowned in the world, not as worthless as you are saying it is. If you go scraping with a knife and scrape up their faces, who will take responsibility for that?”

Zhu Qiqi was growing anxious and annoyed as she listened to them. She longed to shout out, “Go ahead and scrape with the knife. It doesn’t matter if you scratch up my face.”

Jin Wuwang was staring intently at her eyes. “This girl has not only had her face altered,” he said quietly, “she has also been forced to ingest Situ’s paralyzing and mute medicine. I can tell she has many things in her heart that she wants to tell us, but she is not able to say them.

Xiong Mao’er got up unexpectedly, found a broken basin, filled it with ashes from the fire, and brought it over to Zhu Qiqi. He then found a small stick and stuffed it into her hand. Zhu Qiqi’s eyes lit up with joy. “You should have been able to hear what we were saying,” Xiong Mao’er told her. “Now, whatever is in your heart that you want to say, use this stick to write it into the ashes...” Before he had even finished speaking, Zhu Qiqi’s hands were trembling. Her terrible plight was about to come to an end. One can imagine the exhilaration she was feeling in her heart.

But, she did not even have the strength to write. She had wanted to write out her name, but even though the stick scrawled across the ashes, the scribbles were a complete jumble and no one could understand her writing. Soon after, she could not even grasp onto that stick, and it dropped on top of the ashes. Zhu Qiqi grew angry and frustrated, wishing she could just chop off her own hand. She wanted to tear off her face, but did not have the strength; wanted to bite off her own tongue but was not even able to gnaw down; wanted to go crazy, but she was not even able to do that. She could not even sob loudly for no cries would come out, and she could only allow the tears to flow down her cheeks.

Shen Lang, Jin Wuwang, and Xiong Mao’er looked at one another, not knowing what to say and only able to sigh. Even the strong, burly men surrounding them and watching could not help feeling sadness and pity. Xiong Mao’er sighed, “Let me try the other…”

Although Bai Feifei’s voice had been muted, her body was not limp because there had been no need to make her take the paralyzing and mute drug as she was a delicate girl who could not even stand a gust of wind. Xiong Mao’er placed the ash-filled basin in front of her, and she began writing, “I am Bai Feifei. I am originally an orphan girl whose life is one of misfortune, but I do not know why that evil woman would want to kidnap me here and torment me into my current state.”

Xiong Mao’er blinked and interrupted unexpectedly, “You were originally an extremely beautiful woman?”

Shyness could be seen in Bai Feifei’s eyes. The stick “pen” was raised but she did not continue writing.

Xiong Mao’er chuckled, “It would seem you must be. The guniang who has fallen into the same dire plight as you, is she very pretty also? What is her name?”

Bai Feifei wrote, “I do not know her, nor have I seen what she originally looked like.”

Xiong Mao’er mulled, “So that means she fell into this predicament before you?”

Bai Feifei wrote again in reply, “Yes. I had very much pitied her as well, but then I…” Though she did not continue writing, the others knew what she meant. Tears could be seen sparkling in her eyes and could not be contained as they spilled down.

Turning his head back, Xiong Mao’er said, “Now I finally know. That cruel woman must sedate and kidnap beautiful women and take them to a particular location. However, she is afraid troubles may arise so she changes them until they look like this.”

With a sigh and nod of his head, Shen Lang thought secretly, “Not only are this young man’s hands and feet swift, his mind turns quickly also.”

“These two were originally beautiful maidens,” Xiong Mao’er continued. “We cannot let them forever stay in this state. We should at least think of a way so they can regain their original appearances.”

Jin Wuwang’s lips were pressed together, and he did not speak.

Sighing, Shen Lang said, “What can be done? Unless we find that disciple of Situ…”

Xiong Mao’er pondered briefly before suddenly grinning, “I have a friend in Luoyang. Even though this person is very young, he is well versed in both the literary and the martial. On top of that, he is highly skilled in the zither, chess [go], calligraphy, painting, string and woodwind instruments, singing, hunting, medicine and divination, as well as astrology and physiognomy. Even various oddities and tricks of every description, he is proficient in. Let us go find him. He must have a way to help.”

Shen Lang smiled, “Such a character. Xiaodi truly would like to meet him. Plus, we have to go to Luoyang to investigate something anyway. But… may I ask what type of connection Friend has to him?”

“He is not only a wine lover but a lecher too,” Xiong Mao’er answered. “We share the same vile habits. If you and I go find him, he won’t be able to avoid spending a huge amount of money.”

In her extreme anguish, Zhu Qiqi had not heard what they were saying. She only felt herself being lifted into a carriage but did not know where these people were taking her. There was a child in the carriage whom she recognized but he did not recognize her, and in fact, he moved far, far away and was not willing to sit next to her. Xiong Mao’er used a cloth to cover up the hooded carriage. Then, the carriage started moving, heading straight for Luoyang.

The carriage travelled through the night. By the time they arrived in Luoyang, it was already the wee hours of morning. They waited for more than a zhan cha shi until the city gates opened. Jin Wuwang urged the horse onwards and into the city. Shen Lang remarked, “It is still so early. We cannot go disturb people yet.”

Xiong Mao’er grinned, “I have another friend inside Luoyang. The front door of his house is open all year round. Regardless of who goes or when they arrive, no one will have to face a closed door.”

Shen Lang smiled. “This sir possesses quite the Mengchang [referring to Lord Mengchang of the Warring States Period; refer to footnote 3] flair.”

Clapping his hands and laughing loudly, Xiong Mao’er replied, “This person is surnamed Ouyang with the single character, Xi as his given name. The greatest greatest pleasure in his life is when people compare him to Mengchang. If he heard what you just said, he’d be just rolling on the floor in happy laughter.”

In a cold voice, Jin Wuwang cut in, “It seems you have quite a few ‘fox friends and dog pals’ [friends who are scoundrels].”

Xiong Mao’er ignored him and instead, grabbed the whip and hastened the horse along the way. In the early morning hours, the long streets were quiet. As Xiong Mao’er galloped the horse down the empty streets, he looked vigorous and spirited. All of a sudden, from a side street, the clamor of voices and fragrance of flowers drifted out. Xiong Mao’er raised the whip and pointed out with a grin, “This is the world famous Luoyang flower market. There are many who have come as far as thousands of miles to sell flowers here. In particular, the Luoyang peony is the best in the world.”

Shen Lang chuckled, “I have heard much about the Luoyang flower market. Since I am here today, I should buy some flowers, but unfortunately… Though there is the desire to buy the flowers, there is no one to wear them. I will just wait for another day.”

The two of them looked at each other and roared in laughter, but inside the carriage, Zhu Qiqi listened with longing. If she could be sitting next to Shen Lang right at this instant and if he were to get off the carriage to buy flowers for her, even if she were to die after, she would be perfectly willing. On top of that, she knew that passing through the flower market would take them to the secret cave where Fang Qianli, Tie Huahe, and the others were being held captive. There were so many secrets and so much information in her heart, and she was even not able to say them out. The beautiful scenario of having a flower nestled into her hair was even more of a distant dream. The carriage bounced along, and her tears unwittingly began rolling down her cheeks again.

Right then, two fragrant drawn carriages pulled by white horses suddenly came towards them into the flower market. On the outside of the carriage, copper lamps twinkled while inside, there were the sweet sounds of young women talking and laughing [literally, ‘the sounds of swallows and orioles’]. From time to time, beauties with flower hairpins and jade adornments would peek out from behind the carriage curtains, their gazes flowing about as their charming smiles greeted people. The breeze lifted up the cloth covering the carriage hood, and from inside, Zhu Qiqi instinctively cast a glance out. Her heart leaped. Those carriages and white horses were the devil carriages that had been used that day to transport Tie Huahe and the others into the city!

------------------------------------------------
    [7] The text calls this ‘Tian Ling Wu Hua Mian’ instead of ‘Tian Yun Wu Hua Mian’ (Ceaseless Heavenly Clouds, Five Flowers), which was mentioned in Chapter 4 as being the number one poison weapon belonging to Cloud Dream Deity. Will refer to it as the name used in Ch. 4 unless later there are indications it should be changed. If anyone with hardcopy original text could check on this, it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 09-11-09 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Missed footnote

ZQQ can be annoying at times and not very bright, but I feel bad for her. At least her love for SL is true. Then again, what woman meeting SL would not fall in love?

Thanks for the update, Hoju. This story keeps getting more and more interesting. Can't wait to find out what happens next.

Chapter 9 continued.....

Xiong Mao’er laughed loudly and sang, “Looking upon the adorned wheels, the engraved saddles, and the lovely beauties, but knowing not which household’s door the fragrant carriage shall be tied. So it seems I can only let my fruitless love drift away on flowing water.”

Chuckling, Shen Lang chastised, “Friend, your manner is so philandering. Do you not fear you will offend a beautiful maiden?”

Xiong Mao’er answered, “This flower may be fine, but unfortunately, it grows on a wall by the roadside[8] . If you are willing to spend a thouand in gold to purchase just one smile, I can climb up, pick this flower, and deliver it into my lord’s hand. Dear brother, are you interested?”

Shen Lang clapped his hands. “Ah, so you are actually an old, experienced horse who knows the way.”

Xiong Mao’er guffawed, “Today’s remarkable young knight-errant was yesterday’s frequent visitor in the red light district [orig. ‘Zhangtai’, a street name in the ancient city of Chang’an (now Xian), synonymous with brothel area]. Do you not know that only when you are willing to spend a thousand in gold to buy a smile can you be considered a remarkable man of jianghu?”

The two of them looked at each other and roared again in laughter, but Zhu Qiqi once again was taken aback. That mysterious demon’s lair that was imprisoning all those heroes and towering figures was an abode of powder and rouge? Could it be those White Cloud Shepherd Girls who possessed incredible fighting skills were actually those ‘roadside willows and blossoms on the wall’ who threw themselves into people’s embraces? That was truly something that was difficult for her to believe.

The carriage finally arrived at that front door that never closed. And sure enough, when Ouyang Xi saw Xiong Mao’er, he was barely able to contain his delight and laid out a banquet right away to welcome him. Xiong Mao’er hurriedly introduced Shen Lang and Jin Wuwang and then helped himself to drinking and eating.

Ou Yangxi smiled, “You, cat [‘xiong mao’ = panda but xiong = bear and mao = cat], have been getting more and more untamed. In a year, it’s hard to even see you once, but today, you come charging to my house. Besides the fact you are a glutton, could it be there is something else?”

Xiong Mao’er retorted laughingly, “You think I came here for you, the imitation Meng Chang. Ha ha. Your fatty meats and sour wine are not enough to draw this wild cat here.”

“You go find anyone else and I’ll be surprised if they don’t kick you out,” Ouyang Xi bantered.

Xiong Mao’er put down his cup and chopsticks. “Seriously, I did come here in search of Wang Lianhua for an important matter, but has he been in Luoyang lately?”

Ouyang Xi smiled, “Lucky for you, it so happens he has not left Luoyang yet.” He paused briefly before giving a sudden chuckle. “Speaking of him, there is a funny story.”

“Wang Lianhua always has lots of funny stories, but tell us and let us hear anyway,” Xiong Mao’er said.

Ouyang Xi told him, “The other day, when Master Leng Er came here to do some business, a beautiful girl of a wealthy family came charging in. Our Wang Gongzi presumably was about to put his ‘flower picking’ skills to use again. But for some reason…” He deliberately halted his voice.

As expected, Xiong Mao’er could not help asking, “But for some reason what…?”

Ouyang Xi laughed loudly. “When that guniang saw him, it was like she had seen a ghost. She ran off, not even turning her head back once. This was probably something he had never experienced in his entire life, but that did work to Jia Bopi’s advantage. He had just sold a maidservant to that guniang, but with her leaving like that, Jia Bopi took advantage of the confusion and secretly took the maiden away again.”

Xiong Mao’er could not refrain from howling in laughter, and he was about to ask who this guniang was. However, Shen Lang asked first, “Could this Master Leng Er have some relation to Virtue Manor?”

Sighing, Ouyang Xi answered, “Precisely. This Master Leng Er can be considered to have fulfilled his utmost virtue and duty for Virtue Manor. Everyone in jianghu knows the Master Leng Er’s business methods are unparalleled in the world. In one year, he makes countless amounts of money, but Master Leng Er gives all of that money to Virtue Manor. He himself lives frugally, reluctant even to buy clothing for himself, wearing the same blue garment through the years. Those who don’t know him would think he is a poor scholar.”

Shen Lang sighed, “All three Leng brothers are such outstanding individuals.”

His voice had not died out yet when the sound of clear and resonant laughter echoed out from the back courtyard. A young man’s voice said, “Ouyang Xiong [Brother Ouyang], your household servant is quite amazing. I was still comfortably asleep when he said a cat had charged in, and he insisted I go chase it away. He didn’t know, though, that even if I can conquer dragons and subdue tigers, when I see this cat, I get a headache.” A handsome young man in a cloak of fox pelt and splendid garments pushed open the door and entered the room behind that sound of laughter.

Xiong Mao’er gave a hoot, did a flip in midair, and hopped over the table to land in front of the young man. Grabbing the young man by the collar, he laughingly mocked, “You little ruffian who toots your own horn. Besides ‘playing with the flowers and grasses’ [philandering], what else do you actually know how to do? You would actually boast that you have the ability to to conquer dragons and subdue tigers? You must not be scared of a strong wind cutting off your tongue.”

“Oh no,” the young man chuckled. “This cat really is getting more and more feral.”

“So how many women have you seduced lately?” Xiong Mao’er demanded loudly. “Hurry up and confess the truth.”

The young man was about to give a teasing retort when he saw Jin Wuwang and Shen Lang. Immediately, his gaze was pulled to them, and in large strides, he went over to greet them. Cupping one fist with the other hand, he smiled, “These two friends[9], one is like an ancient cypress or an aged pine while the other is like a jade tree in the wind. Ouyang Xiong, why have you not hurried over to introduce them to Xiaodi [little brother; referring to himself]?”

In all the laughter, Ouyang Xi had forgotten Shen Lang’s full name, and as for Jin Wuwang’s name, he simply did not even know it, so he could only say vaguely, “This is Jin Daxia [Hero Jin] and this is Shen Xianggong. This here is Young Master Wang Lianhua. You three sirs are all dragons and phoenixes amongst humans. In the future, all of you should get to know one another.” Jin Wuwang gave a cold “hmph.” Shen Lang smiled and bowed respectfully with hands clasped.

Thereupon, everyone took their seats and there was another period of chuckles and laughter. Ouyang Xi said, “Wang Xiong, this feral cat’s original intention here was actually to find you, but he wouldn’t say what the reason was. Hurry and ask him now.”

Wang Lianhua grinned, “When a feral cat comes knocking, there won’t be anything good. No wonder in these last few days, there have been crows cawing and birds chirping noisily outside my window. Indeed, you may sit around at home with your door closed but troubles still come down from heaven.”

Laughing, Xiong Mao’er protested, “This time you are wrong. I came here this time, not for money, nor for wine, but only to bring two stunningly beautiful maidens for you to see.”

Shen Lang chuckled secretly to himself as he thought, “This cat seems as if he doesn’t scheme, but when he wants someone to do something, he’ll use some means to arouse the person’s interest first and then the person will bite the hook himself.”

Wang Lianhua laughed loudly. “You coming here to find me would bring such a good thing? Even if you killed me, I’d have difficulty believing that. You can keep those two stunning beauties for yourself to stare at. Out of fear, Xiaodi is going to politely decline your offer.”

Xiong Mao’er rebuked him teasingly, “Such low character. How could you use what’s in your heart to speculate what is in my mind? I have already brought the beauties here. Even if you don’t want to look, you are going to have to, but…” He blinked and paused.

Wang Lianhua chortled, “I know whenever you blink your eyes, there will be a trick. Sure enough, the trick is here now. I have bit your hook now anyways, so you might as well hurry and say whatever comes after that ‘but’ and we can save everyone from feeling anxious.”

Shen Lang and Ouyang Xi could not help bursting out in laughter at this. Xiong Mao’er continued, “But if you want to take a look at these two stunning beauties, you must have some skill first.”

“What skill do you need before you can see them?” Wang Lianhua inquired.

“Why don’t you tell us, besides those tricks of ‘fluorishing sabers and playing with spears,’ ‘waving around literature and playing with ink,’ blowing wind instruments and singing, looking heavenward and divination, as well as curing people’s bellyaches, what else do you know?”

“Those still aren’t enough?” Wang Lianhua asked.

“Not only not enough! Far from being enough.”

Wang Lianhua shook his head and laughed. “Such a scoundrel. It’s a pity I do not know what your dad looked like, otherwise I could make myself up to look like him and teach a lesson to this black sheep of a son.”

Xiong Mao’er slapped the table and shouted, “That’s it.”

Wang Lianhua and Ouyang Xi were surprised and blurted out together, “What?”

“You know the art of appearance altering, right?” Xiong Mao’er said. “Hehe… Don’t shake your head now. You have let it slip already, and you cannot cover it up now, even if you want to.”

Wang Lianhua forced a smile. “And so what if I do?”

“Those two stunning beauties have had their true, lovely appearances covered up by someone using appearance altering techniques. If you can restore them to their former beauty, then I will truly admire and respect you.”

A glint came across Wang Lianhua’s eyes. “Who are these two guniang?”

Xiong Mao’er answered, “This… this I am not sure about myself. I only know they are surnamed Bai.”

The glint in Wang Lianhua’s eyes immediately disappeared, and it seemed as if he was secretly breathing out in relief. “They are surnamed Bai…” he murmured. He gave a sudden smile and carried on, “To be honest, in regards to appearance altering, I only have a superficial knowledge. But even though I cannot transform the appearance to look like someone else, if you need me to wash away someone else’s disguise work, I could still give it a try.”

Xiong Mao’er said delightedly, “That is good enough. Hurry and come with me.”

Zhu Qiqi and Bai Feifei had been settled down in a quiet room. Xiong Mao’er pulled Wang Lianhua with him as he strode in while Shen Lang and the others followed up behind.

Once Zhu Qiqi got a glimpse of Wang Lianhua, her heart again nearly stopped beating and goosebumps came over her entire body’s flesh. She had never dreamd the person Xiong Mao’er was towing after him would be that dreadful demon. When she had fallen into the hands of the “black-clothed woman,” she had thought this person was not as terrifying as the “woman,” but now after escaping “her” evil clutches and seeing this person before her, in that instant, every single horrible thing about him came rushing up in her mind. She could only let herself look fixedly at Shen Lang. Only when she was looking at Shen Lang did the fear in her heart subside slightly. What was maddening, however, was Shen Lang did not even glance at her.

Xiong Mao’er spoke up. “Hurry up and take a thorough look at them. Can you wash off the stuff on their faces?” Sure enough, Wang Lianhua bent forward and carefully scrutinized their faces.

Zhu Qiqi was feeling alarm, regret, and joy all at the same time because she was confident this Wang Lianhua definitely had the skills required to restore her to her original appearance. However, she had never thought that fate’s plans would be so remarkable and would actually send him to rescue her. In her heart, she ground her teeth and thought, “Heaven, oh Heaven, thank you for what you set-up. What you have arranged is really too wonderful. Once he returns my voice to me, the first thing I will expose is his secret. At that time, I wonder what he’ll be feeling in his heart?” As her thoughts reached this point, she became a little happy for the first time in several days. She was afraid, however, that Wang Lianhua would notice all that alarm, regret, and joy, that strong and complicated mix of emotions, showing through her gaze, and she hurriedly shut her eyes.

Wang Lianhua was in front of the two of them, examining them carefully for two full zhan cha shi [20 minutes], not moving at all. Xiong Mao’er and the others could only wait calmly and watch quietly off to the side. They saw Wang Lianhua finally stand back up and exhale a long breath before saying, “Excellent technique… Excellent technique…”

“So? Can you help them?” Xiong Mao’er demanded anxiously.

Wang Lianhua did not answer right away and instead said, “Just from looking at the methods used, it would seem it is the exclusive technique of the Jiangzuo Situ familiy of yesteryear…”

Thrilled, Xiong Mao’er praised enthusiastically, “Correct indeed! You really do have some talent. Since you can tell the origin of technique used on them, you should definitely be able to undo it.”

“I can try, but…” Wang Lianhua heaved a long sigh before continuing, “The person who altered these two guniangs’ appearances has truly executed appearance altering arts at the highest level. He has created these two faces such that they are completely without defect or flaw.”

Xiong Mao’er could not refrain from interrupting, “So what does that mean?”

“In your eyes, their two faces right now are utterly repulsive, but in my eyes, these two faces are extremely fine works of art, like the elaborate works painted by a painter, and surely are the culmination of art and painstaking effort. I really don’t have the heart to destroy it.”

Xiong Mao’er could not help being taken aback and was silent for quite a while before laughing and rebuking him, “Bull****, bull****! A string of bull****!”

Wang Lianhua shook his head and sighed, “An uncultured person like you has never been able to understand something so refined and elegant.”

Grabbing him, Xiong Mao’er ordered, “I don’t give a d**n whether it’s a refined thing or bull****. I only need you to restore these two guniang to their original appearances. Just tell me whether you are willing or not.”

Wang Lianhua forced a smile. “With you, the untamed cat here, I guess I have no choice but to do something like ‘burning the zither to roast the crane’ and spoil the mood. But you have to loosen up your grip first…”

With a laugh, Xiong Mao’er let go of him. “As well, the two of them have been drugged up so they are immobile and mute. Since you proclaim yourself to have brilliant skills in medicine, I’d think you can help them out in that too.”

Wang Lianhua mused, “This…… I can give it a try too. However, since I am working so hard, all of you cannot be idling around. If I ask you to extend a helping hand on something, you must not refuse either.” As he said this, his eyes, intentionally or otherwise, seemed to flick over to look at Shen Lang.

[8] The flower that grows on the wall by the roadside is one that is available for any to take, if you are willing to spend the money – i.e. a prostitute.
    [9] Orig. term used is ‘xiongtai’, a respectful form of address for a peer. I have been using ‘Friend’ loosely, but it is a little more formal than that. ‘Xiong’ is (older) brother and ‘tai’ is stage, implying ‘brother’ (the person being addressed) is on the stage while I am below.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 09-21-09 at 09:51 PM.

Oh my goodness! The utter suspense is killing my nerves. Gu Long really has a way with plot twist. This story keeps getting better and better. Why couldn't the tv adaptation follow the story more closely?

Another beautiful translation, Hoju. Can't thank you enough for your frequent updates . I'm sure all the silent readers appreciate your efforts too. Take care for now and patiently waiting for the next installment. No rush whatsoever

Shen Lang has been found out. This guy is gonna try to test out Shen Lang's skills now... haha will be interesting how Shen Lang handles himself here. Actually he is a rather good "awsome" character in the novels. not like LXF :-P (who is still good... but not as good.. IMHO :-))

Thanks Hoju! :-)

Chapter 9 continued.....

Smiling, Shen Lang assured him, “If there is anything in which Xiaodi can help out, please, Friend, feel free to just tell me.”

Wang Lianhua’s face brightened into a smile. “All right. That’s settled then.” His eyes immediately turned and fell on Ouyang Xi.

Ouyang Xi broke out in a chuckle. “This guy is already scheming against me somehow…… Ai! A blessing, perhaps, and not calamity. And if truly a calamity, it is inescapable anyway. Our great Wang Gongzi, what is it you would like? Just say it.”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Well then, listen carefully. Four jugs of top-quality black vinegar, ten catties of refined salt, four bolts of top-quality cambric fabric…”

Ouyang Xi remarked, “You! Do you want to be a vinegar jug yourself or open a grocery store?”

Wang Lianhua ignored him and continued, “Two brand new copper basins in the extra large size, two brand new pair of scissors, two small knives, four charcoal burners, four copper kettles, also extra large, and two hundred catties of coal with the highest fuel content… And also, go quickly and tell the women and servants of your household that, within an hour [orig. ½ a shi chen], they must sew two robes from top quality, clean white linen for this Shen Xianggong and myself. The handiwork need not be fine and detailed, but they absolutely must be clean.” Hearing that what he needed were all these odds and ends items, everyone could not help feeling dumbstruck.

Xiong Mao’er joked, “Listening to you asking for these things, it seems like you want to open a grocery store, be a midwife, as well as be the owner of a ‘black inn’ that specializes in meat buns where you will cook these two guniang up to eat.”

“Poor me,” Ouyang Xi chuckled. “I need to get all these random items ready for him within the next hour. It’s like taking my life…” Although his lips were complaining, his face showed a smile because if Wang Lianhua wanted all these surprising items, he would certainly also have surprising skills to accompany them. “Appearance altering art” was something everyone had heard of but most only knew of it through hearsay. Ouyang Xi was an experienced hand in jianghu but still, only today was he finally going to see with his own eyes the incredibleness of appearance altering arts. Immediately, he hurried off to prepare everything for Wang Lianhua.

Sure enough, in less than an hour, Ouyang Xi had brought all the necessary items back. The charcoal burner had been lit and the copper kettles had been filled with fresh water and were being heated so they were near boiling.

Wang Lianhua picked up one of the long white robes and brought it over to Shen Lang. With a smile, he said, “I would like to trouble Brother Shen to don this white rob and be Xiaodi’s assistant. Is that alright?”

“Of course. I will comply with your every request,” Shen Lang answered.

Xiong Mao’er could not refrain from piping up, “What about me? What would you like me to do?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “I want you to get out of here right away and be good as you wait outside.”

Xiong Mao’er paused in surprise. “Go out? We cannot watch?”

Ouyang Xi grinned, “If he wants you to go out, then you should just go. We…”

Wang Lianhua interrupted, “You have to go out too.”

Ouyang Xi was taken aback as well. “Even… even I cannot watch?”

In a firm voice, Wang Lianhua told them, “When Xiaodi is carrying out my work, my mind must be calm and still. I cannot allow anyone to disturb me because, if Xiaodi’s hands make even one slight error and leave behind some sort of imperfection on these two guniang’s bodies, at that point, even if I were a god, I’m afraid there would be no skill that can reverse that. Therefore, not only must the two of you leave, I shall even request this Jin Daxia [Hero Jin] to step out for the time being.”

Ouyang Xi and Xiong Mao’er looked at one another in dismay, disappointment covering their faces. Jin Wuwang, though, merely let out a cold “hmph” and withdrew from the room. Knowing that even if they dragged their feet, nothing would change, with a sigh, Ouyang Xi and Xiong Mao’er left as well.

Wang Lianhua closed the door tightly and lowered the drapes on all sides of the room. The drapes were thick, and that enclosed room immediately grew dim. The four corners suddenly seemed to exude a feeling of mystery, and that flickering fire in the charcoal burner only seemed to intensify that feeling.

In silence, Shen Lang stood there and watched him. The water over the burner gradually came to a boil and steam started rushing up, giving off a “whoo whoo” cry. Wang Lianhua suddenly turned around and stared intently at Shen Lang. “Xiaodi asked them to temporarily step out because, of course, I do not want the secrets behind ‘appearance altering art’ to be leaked out. I would think, though, Shen Xiong must have been aware of this.”

Shen Lang smiled, “Yes.”

Wang Lianhua carried on in a quiet voice, “Ouyang Xi and Xiong Mao’er are both Xiaodi’s longtime friends while today is the first time you, Friend and Xiaodi even met. Xiaodi is unwilling to reveal the secret to them, yet I would instead trouble Friend to assist me here. Naturally, there must be a reason for this. Friend, with your exceptional intelligence, you certainly would be thinking this is odd.”

Shen Lang gave a slight smile. “I had wanted to ask you about this.”

With a laugh, Wang Lianhua explained, “It is because, although Xiaodi and Friend have only just met, the radiating way in which you look at people is something I have never seen in my entire life and is truly enough to gain Xiaodi’s admiration.”

“Many thanks for your flattering words,” Shen Lang smiled. “As a matter of fact, even though I have encountered countless people, in terms of being bold and generous as well as free and unreserved, Brother Xiong certainly must be counted, but in terms of having a sharp mind and an elegant manner and bearing, in this world, truly there is no one comparable to Friend.” His voice paused very briefly and his eyes twinkled before he suddenly continued, “But besides that one point, Friend, you must have other reasons. Otherwise you would not…”

Wang Lianhua did not wait for him to finish and had already interrupted with a chuckle, “Correct. Xiaodi really does have another reason, and that is why I want to be particularly close to Friend.”

“This reason, then, must be very interesting.”

“Indeed, it is very interesting.”

“Since it is so interesting, would Friend be willing to tell me?”

Wang Lianhua did not answer right away, pondering for quite a while before he said, “Just now, when Ouyang Xi introduced Friend to Xiaodi, he did not mention your given name, did he?”

Shen Lang laughed, “Ouyang Xiong probably never clearly heard what Xiaodi’s name is or heard it but then forgot. That is very common in social situations.”

“But Xiaodi is able to guess Friend’s name.”

“Friend, you have such a talent?” Shen Lang asked with a chuckle.

Wang Lianhua smiled and responded, “Is Friend’s esteemed name Shen Lang?”

Surprise could finally be seen on Shen Lang’s face. “That is right. You really have guessed correctly… How did you guess Xiaodi’s name? Could it be… someone had previously mentioned Xiaodi to Friend?”

As the two of them exchanged words, Zhu Qiqi was listening off to the side in shock, embarrassed anxiety, and delight, one side of her not wanting Wang Lianhua to say Shen Lang’s name while another side hoping to hear Wang Lianhua say Shen Lang’s name, not wanting for Wang Lianhua to attack Shen Lang but yet wishing that Shen Lang would strike Wang Lianhua dead with one punch. She could not help opening her eyes to see how Wang Lianhua was going to deal with Shen Lang and what he was going to say. She heard him say smilingly, “If Friend wants to ask how Xiaodi knows your esteemed name, this… Friend, you will know some time in the future.” With that, he turned around and opened a jar of vinegar, not looking even once again at Shen Lang. His hands, though, were trembling slightly.

Zhu Qiqi secretly breathed out in relief. Was her heart feeling disappointed or glad? Right now, even she herself could not sort through the complexity of her own emotions.

Wang Lianhua brought the spout of the copper kettle right up in front of Bai Feifei. Waves of hot steam surged up into her face so that Bai Feifei had to close her eyes. After approximately one zhan cha shi, [10 minutes], Wang Lianhua said, “I shall trouble Shen Xiong to open the lid of the kettle.”

All the while, Shen Lang had been quietly observing. Now, he smiled in answer, reached over, and lifted up the lid. That searing hot copper lid that was even hotter than burning charcoal was gripped completely in his hand, yet he looked as if he did not even notice. It appeared as if Wang Lianhua had not looked at him, but his face did change slightly. Was this change because of amazement? Respect? Admiration? Or jealousy? Perhaps there was a little of all four of these emotions.

He poured the vinegar into the copper kettle. Quite some time passed and then, the hot air that rushed up from the kettle carried a strong sour smell. This distilled acidic air caused Bai Feifei to close her eyes even tighter. After another long while [orig; ‘yi dun fan’; the time for a meal], when half of that jar of vinegar had already evaporated into the steam, there seemed to be some effect on the stiffened muscles around the corner of Bai Feifei’s mouth and in fact, some saliva was spilling forth. Wang Lianhua set down the vinegar jug, picked up the wine jug, and poured it into the kettle. The sour vapour now became filled with alcohol. This alcohol vapour was pungent, and within mere moments, tears were streaming from the corners of Bai Feifei’s eyes.

The entire room was blazingly hot. Beads of sweat could be seen on Shen Lang and Wang Lianhua’s foreheads. Wang Lianhua now filled the two basins with wine, vinegar, and water as he requested, “I will trouble Shen Xiong to take off this guniang’s clothing and place her into the basin.

Shen Lang paused in shock as he asked dazedly, “Her clothes need to be taken off too?”

Wang Lianhua answered, “Absolutely. Right now, her pores have been blocked up by appearance altering drugs. We must do it, otherwise the effects cannot be undone.” As he spoke, he pulled out three small wooden bottles from within his garments. From each of them, he poured out some sort of powder into the two copper basins. All of a sudden, he gave a laugh. “A strong, imposing man who does not even dare take off a girl’s clothes?”

Shen Lang turned his head and saw that within Bai Feifei’s eyes that were sparkling with tears was a light that seemed filled with panic, shame, and a plea for pity. Shen Lang sighed lightly, “In urgent matters, one must yield to urgent means. We have no other option other than this way. I ask for guniang’s forgiveness.” Slowly he stretched out his hand and undid the button beside her bosom.

Xiong Mao’er and Ouyang Xi were pacing nonstop back and forth in front of the room door, their faces covered in anxiety. Their moods right then were somewhat similar to those of a father waiting beside the delivery room for a glimpse of his first child his wife was about to bear. Jin Wuwang was able to sit there motionless, but even his eyes seemed to have lost their calm. All they could hear coming from the room were the sounds of charcoal being turned, water boiling, liquid pouring into basins, knives and scissors clinking, and what appeared to be the sounds of bathing.

Xiong Mao’er suddenly laughed, “Listening to these sounds, it would seem those two are in there slaughtering pigs and sheep. You wonder what they are doing to those two guniang…”

Smiling bitterly, Ouyang Xi remarked, “If he allowed me to go in there to watch, even if he wanted me to kowtow three times, I would do so willingly.”

Nodding, Xiong Mao’er agreed, “Who wouldn’t? But unfortunately…”

Unexpectedly, from behind the door rang out a cry of alarm and a light shout. It was Shen Lang’s voice. Jin Wuwang quickly rose to his feet and was about to charge in through the door, but was pulled back by Xiong Mao’er. Enraged, Jin Wuwang snapped, “What are you doing?”

Xiong Mao’er grinned, “Friend, no need to worry. Considering the person Shen Lang is, what could possibly happen to him? If Jin Xiong was to barge in there recklessly, though, in anger, Wang Lianhua may just walk away from the remainder of the task, and then what should we do? Those two guniang will never be able to face anyone for the rest of their lives." Jin Wuwang contemplated for quite a while. Then, with a cold “hmph,’ he threw off Xiong Mao’er’s hand, strode back to his spot, and sat down. He was thinking, indeed, nothing really could happen to someone like Shen Lang.

But at this instant, from behind the door, the noise of slapping palms rang out. The sound was rapid, like pearls strung closely one after another. Jin Wuwang’s countenance could not help shifting, and once again he stood up. Ouyang Xi was also frowning as he asked, “What is that noise?”

Xiong Mao’er mused, “Probably Wang Lianhua is performing ‘tui na’ [Chinese form of bodywork (~massage) therapy] and thumping the muscles for the two guniang.

“Right… right…” Ouyang Xi agreed, nodding his head repeatedly. Even though no words came from Jin Wuwang’s lips, in his mind, he too had accepted Xiong Mao’er’s speculation.

However, just as he sat down again, another alarmed cry rose up from the other side of the door. This time, the cry had come from Wang Lianhua. Ouyang Xi’s expression changed. He, too, was about to rush inside but was also held back by Xiong Mao’er.

End of Chapter 9
    Last edited by Hoju!; 10-06-09 at 05:54 PM. Reason: All those mistakes I made...

wow, what a place to stop the update :-)

haha thanks Hoju! :-)

Wang Lianhu attacked Shen Lang while he was putting the girl in the bath? can't be right? :-/

looking forward to the next update! :-)

I got so excited with the update, but I so hate for it to end!
    Now I have to endure the wait

You keep me coming back for more, Hoju! Well, heaps of thanks for the recent translation.

Thanks tweety and little Fish for the comments, and thanks to all silent readers also.

Chapter 10 – Miraculous Hands Restore Lovely Faces

When Ouyang Xi heard Wang Lianhua let out an anxious cry from inside the room, he could not help saying, “Wang Xiong is always very calm, but he actually shouted out loud just now. Could it be…”

Xiong Mao’er cut him off. “Could it be what? Wang Lianhua is in the middle of saving those two guniang right now. Why would Shen Lang do anything to him? Plus, the two of them just met, and not only is there no reason for dislike, there seems to be a mutual respect and admiration for one another…… He he. I bet you just want to go inside to see, so you are deliberately looking for an excuse.

Ouyang Xi broke out in chuckles. “What an overly talkative cat. Don’t you find that shout strange, though?”

Xiong Mao’er grinned, “It was probably because they were both shocked by the beauty of those two guniang and could not hold back a cry, especially Wang Lianhua, that lecher. I bet even his bones have gone all limp now.”

Shaking his head, Ouyang Xi laughed, “Only those two can share in the fortune of having those beautiful maidens. What use is it for us to get so anxious?”

The door was tightly closed. Besides relatively louder noises and those sudden cries of alarm, nothing, including the sound of Shen Lang and Wang Lianhua’s voices, could be heard from outside. Ouyang Xi was poking his head up around the window. The light of day had gradually risen higher in the sky now, and he could not help getting restless again as he scratched at his ear, stomped his foot, and muttered to himself, “Why are those two still not coming out yet? Could… could something have happened?”

Shen Lang had just unfastened Bai Feifei’s first button. Bai Feifei’s eyes were closed tightly and her arms and legs had started trembling lightly. Even though her face had been altered to look extremely ugly, before her eyelids had pressed tightly together, the bashful shame that showed from underneath them could truly move a person’s heart. This type of bashfulness from a dainty young maiden was precisely what Zhu Qiqi lacked. Right now, although her eyes were closed, it seemed as if Shen Lang did not dare meet her gaze. He deftly removed the clothes, not brushing her body in the slightest with even a fingertip.

Bai Feifei was wearing no undergarments beneath those clothes.

Suddenly, Bai Feifei’s body, lusterous like white jade, soft like a swan, and delicate and exquisite like a dove, was completely displayed before Shen Lang’s eyes. Her body did not have that fierce magnetism that could cause someone to go crazy, but instead, it had an indescribable sort of fragileness that aroused tender affection in a person. It was the unique charm that only an innocent girl could possess, an allure that was hard to describe with words.

Shen Lang had not intended to look, but it was too late. With just this one glance, he could not help becoming somewhat intoxicated, and for a brief moment, he forgot to pull his gaze away. After all, even though he was a hero, he was still a man.

Zhu Qiqi, hearing that Shen Lang was going to take off Bai Feifei’s garments, was glaring fiercely at him, and now, seeing such a reaction on his face, she could not contain the jealousy in her eyes. With hatred flooding her, she fumed silently, “Shen Lang, oh Shen Lang, so you are actually a lecher. I have loved you so, not even bothering to look at other men, but yet you act like this when you see another woman. I… why should I bother to be so good to you?”

She shifted her eyes and saw Wang Lianhua standing in a corner, his back to Shen Lang and Bai Feifei. Surprisingly, he had not even stolen a glance at them. He gave a dry cough now and spoke up, “The clothes have been removed? Good. So now, I shall ask Shen Xiong to pick her up and put her in that basin there. Use the fabric that Xiaodi just cut and trimmed and wash her very carefully from head to toe twice. Use the water in the basin on the left first. After you are done washing, change to use the basin on the right. Be certain you do not confuse them.”

Shen Lang turned his head to look at him and in an anxious tone, said, “But… but Friend, why don’t you do it?”

Wang Lianhua still did not turn around, and only said with a smile, “These two guniang’s chaste bodies deserve such reverence. In this situation, we had no choice but to resort to this means, but if we can have one less person who dishonours her, one less is better. Shen Xiong, do you agree?... Since she belongs to Shen Xiong now, then we have no choice but to ask Shen Xiong to toil through to the end.”

Flustered, Shen Lang protested, “Since… since she now belongs to Xiaodi? Where is that coming from?”

Wang Lianhua gave a laugh. Avoiding the question, he instead stated, “The medicinal qualities of the water are about to fade. Shen Xiong, are you going to start?” Shen Lang was silent for a long time. At last, he exhaled a long sigh, lifted up Bai Feifei, and placed her in the water, then picked up the freshly trimmed white cambric fabric from beside the basin. Wang Lianhua held his hands behind his back as he commented, “These two guniang are very likely outstanding beauties. Shen Xiong, you are certainly lucky [to have the love of beautiful women] today.”

Shen Lang could not hold back a look of anger from showing slightly on his face. In a low voice, he responded, “Friend, from the way you are speaking, what kind of person do you think Xiaodi is?”

“Xiaodi is just teasing. Friend, please do not be angry. But…”

“But what?” Shen Lang asked.

Wang Lianhua continued slowly, “These two guniang were brought here by Friend, and now, their chaste bodies have been seen in their entirety by Friend’s eyes. Hereafter, Friend should not be too indecisive in your love for them or ignore them. Should Friend have even a slightly chivalrous and honourable heart, you should view their lives as your own responsibility and must not fall in love with a third woman.” Shen Lang was startled and furious on hearing this, but yet the words Wang Lianhua spoke came across as being righteous and solemn so Shen Lang did not even know how he should refute them.

Only Zhu Qiqi knew Wang Lianhua’s purpose behind this because right now, besides herself, nobody knew she was actually Zhu Qiqi. Wang Lianhua was saying all this because he wanted to use his words to ensnare Shen Lang. Later, when these two women tried to entwine themselves with Shen Lang, he would have no way of escaping. And naturally, Wang Lianhua would have a way of making the women entwine themselves to Shen Lang. Plus, ignoring the fact that Shen Lang was the type who could easily cause young girls to like him, in those days, if a girl’s unclothed body had been seen by a man, she had no choice but to give herself to him, and therefore if Shen Lang was occupied by these two girls, he would not be able to fall in love with another girl. This “third woman” Wang Lianhua was speaking of was, of course, Zhu Qiqi. This strategic move of Wang Lianhua’s really was not bad, but unfortunately, a wise man can consider a thousand things, but there will always be one he misses. He calculated out everything, yet he could not calculate that one of these two women was actually Zhu Qiqi. He had taken great efforts to think up this ploy to “change out the flower and substitute with wood” [orig. ‘yi hua jie mu’; to stealthily substitute one thing for another] but ended up outsmarting himself.

Shen Lang did not say anything else, but unexpectedly, a smile was showing on the corner of his lips again.

Wang Lianhua spoke, “Shen Xiong, are you done washing?... Good. I will trouble Shen Xiong again to wipe her dry…… Good. Now, I shall ask Shen Xiong to use a warm ‘yang’ palm energy to massage the sixty-four acupoints next to her ‘Lesser Yin’ [Shao Yin] Meridian. If Shen Xiong is shy, feel free to help this guniang put on her clothes first.”

He had not even finished speaking before sounds of sleeves being rolled up were heard, followed by a series of light palm-slapping sounds. Shen Lang’s breathing gradually grew heavier, and Bai Feifei was also letting out light gasps and groans…

The region around the “Lesser Yin” is the most sensitive part on a woman’s body. If a man massages that area, one can imagine what sort of feeling that would invoke.

Zhu Qiqi was staring hatefully at Shen Lang’s palm which was moving over Bai Feifei’s body. All of a sudden, she remembered the feeling of being massaged by Wang Lianhua’s hands that day in the underground passage. In an instant, she felt a strange warm feeling coursing through her entire body, and her heart suddenly felt as if a fire had been lit in it. Was it shame? Rage? Or hate?

Bai Feifei’s lids were shut even tighter, and her body was quivering even more fiercely. Wang Lianhua slowly turned around, put a pair of scissors in the boiling vinegar for a moment, and, with a smile on his face, silently watched her and Shen Lang. He said, “Shen Xiong’s hands absolutely must not stop… No matter what you see, they cannot stop. Otherwise, all will fail because we missed this final hurdle. Xiaodi is unable to bear that responsibility.”

Smiling lightly, Shen Lang responded, “Friend, please feel free to set your mind at ease. In my life, Xiaodi has yet to do anything that would disappoint someone.” There seemed to be a double meaning in those words. How could he not notice the subtle response from Bai Feifei beneath his palms? And how could his own heart not be moved at least slightly by this remarkable response? However, his face did not reveal the slightest emotion, as if he had a complete plan already[10] and would have a way to handle anything that might arise.

Wang Lianhua walked over in front of Bai Feifei and said, “The appearance altering drugs on this guniang’s face are being attacked on both sides now by the wine and vinegar vapours on the outside and the sweat and heat being emitted from inside her body, and they have softened.” As his lips spoke, both his hands were kneading Bai Feifei’s face. The layers of “skin and flesh” that looked as if they were completely natural were bending and twisting under his hands, causing her face to look even more bizarre and grotesque. Wang Lianhua took out a tablet of medicine and put it in Bai Feifei’s mouth, then told him, “Now, her circulation has completely returned to normal, and she is able to speak. However…” He gave a sudden chuckle before continuing, “However, under Shen Xiong’s massaging hands, she is feeling like her bones have become soft and her mind is weak. Even though she can speak, she is not willing to.”

If anyone else had heard these words, how could his hands continue their movements? But Shen Lang merely acted as if he did not hear, and his hands did not stop.

With a laugh, Wang Lianhua said, “Good……”

Suddenly, with two fingers, he pinched and pulled on Bai Feifei’s eyelid. His right hand had already picked up the scissors, and with one swipe, he cut down. A ripping sound was heard. He had cut off one of Bai Feifei’s eyelids. Although Bai Feifei did not feel any pain, Shen Lang and Zhu Qiqi were still taken aback by this. Wang Lianhua tossed what he had just cut into a bucket of salt and then immediately, picked up a small knife and stabbed it into the eyelid that had just been cut open. Shen Lang was even more alarmed with this, but Bai Feifei still did not feel any pain. They watched as Wang Lianhua’s hand did not stop and the small knife continuously sliced away. That layer of flesh on Bai Feifei’s face split open wherever the blade went, and in an instant, that face looked like the skin of a fruit that had been carved up. Completely torn into pieces, it looked even more indescribably frightful than before. Shen Lang knew this layer of “flesh” was created by appearance altering drugs, but he could not help feeling shaken to the core as he watched.

Unexpectedly, with a flash of light, the small knife in Wang Lianhua’s hand slashed straight toward Shen Lang’s face. The blade pierced through the air, swift as lightning.

Zhu Qiqi saw all this very clearly, and the panic she felt was immense. At that moment, Shen Lang’s attention was completely concentrated elsewhere, and she could see he would not be able to avoid this knife attack.

[10] Orig. 成竹在胸 (cheng zhu zai xiong). “The complete bamboo stalk is in the heart.” Prior to painting the bamboo, the artist has already visualized the perfect bamboo in his mind. An analogy that says, prior to doing something, you have already thought through the entire plan.

Hoju's comment: "Interesting" massage, to say the least!

HOLY SMOKES! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Oh Hoju, I'm about to cry here! Why must you stop at such an exciting moment.

Reminds of the time when I was still renting vhs tapes and each week, only 2-3 tapes were available. I always felt the last episode of the tape constantly ended at the best moment. Gosh, that was like a decade ago. Wow how times just fly by...

Reading this translation is both exciting and painful . Have to admit that Gu Long's stories seem to always contain sexual innuendos. Much more than Jing Yong's works.

It's been ages since I've rented any drama and waited anxiously for the next few episodes to arrive at the store. The store owner knew me well and would set aside the tapes for me. I kind of miss those days.

Chapter 10 continued.....
    But, with a single cry of astonishment and a quick shout of anger, Shen Lang’s chest and abdomen abruptly pulled back, and without moving his feet, his entire upper body shifted three inches. The blade of the knife just brushed his cheek as it passed but did not cause any harm to his skin or flesh.

Zhu Qiqi had unknowingly broken out in a cold sweat for Shen Lang. Shen Lang’s hands, though, had never even paused and were still massaging, but his eyes were showing indignation. “What did you mean by that?” he demanded.

Surprisingly, Wang Lianhua was completely unruffled and only smiled. “Xiaodi was merely trying to test Shen Xiong’s focus and whether, under any circumstance, your hands really would not stop.”

Shen Lang actually smiled as well. “Oh really?” He, too, was completely unflustered and did not mention another word about what just happened.

Wang Lianhua stared intently at him for a long time, unable to contain the admiration and jealousy from showing through his eyes. All of a sudden, he heaved a long sigh. “Friend, in your life, have you never taken offense to anything?”

“Naturally I have,” Shen Lang answered, “but other people just cannot see it.”

This statement was still spoken very softly and calmly, but when Wang Lianhua heard it, for some reason, a chill seemed to come into his heart. He said inwardly, “With such a person in this world, what pleasure can I, Wang Lianhua, take from being alive at the same time?...” As he was thinking this, his palm brushed forward lightly. A gentle wind blew forth, and the bits of ripped-up flesh on Bai Feifei’s face immediately floated up on the air and, as if they had each grown a pair of eyes, one after another, all fell into the bucket of salt.

Shen Lang smiled, “Nice palm strength. Nice…” Catching a glimpse of Bai Feifei’s true appearance, his voice halted abruptly, and he was speechless for quite a while.

Her cheeks were flushed prettily like a rose, with glistening beads of perspiration still seeping out on them. Her long eyelashes were covering her eyes and her exquisite nose and cherry lips were breathing in and out charmingly. Shen Lang had already seen her exposed body and touched her lusterous, fragrant, jade-like skin and had not really felt anything, but now, upon seeing her lovable dimple that seemed to hold a silent bashfulness and her enchantingly delicate demeanor, an unusual feeling seemed to come over his heart and he did not dare let his hands touch her body anymore. Do not forget that, after all, he was still a man, and no man in the world is immune to these feelings.

Wang Lianhua, too, was staring stupidly, and after being silent for a long while, he finally exhaled a lengthy sigh and said, “Truly a ‘heavenly fragrance and national beauty’ [orig. ‘tian xiang guo se’ which is an expression used to describe a woman of outstanding beauty]. Truly a ‘heavenly fragrance and national beauty’…”

Seeing the look these two men had as they stared at Bai Feifei, Zhu Qiqi unwittingly began to lightly grind her teeth together as she cursed in her heart, “Men! Men! There is not a single good man in the world.” Of these two men, one of them was deeply in love with her while the other was the man she was deeply in love with, so even though she was an open-minded person, when she saw them stupefied because of someone else, a jealous hate emerged into her heart. Do not forget that, after all, she was still a woman, and no woman in the world is immune to these feelings.

Unconsciously, Zhu Qiqi’s eyes shifted towards Wang Lianhua, while coincidentally, Wang Lianhua’s gaze was turned to Shen Lang. There seemed to be a murderous quality in his eyes. Zhu Qiqi cried silently in alarm, “Not good…” This thought had just flashed across her mind when Wang Lianhua’s palms struck out successively at Shen Lang. The rapidity of his palms was such that they were even faster than Zhu Qiqi’s thoughts. This attack once again happened suddenly and with incomparable speed.

However, even though Shen Lang’s eyes appeared as if they were not looking at him, he in fact could clearly see Wang Lianhua’s every single movement. Wang Lianhua had just unleashed his palms and then Shen Lang had already thrown his own palms forward to meet them.

Four palms collided. A series of loud slapping sounds rang out one after another, swift and close, like a string of pearls. After more than ten palm clashes, Shen Lang still did not move from where he was, but Wang Lianhua had given a cry of surprise and retreated several steps.

Shen Lang spoke, “And Friend, what did you mean by this?”

Wang Lianhua had retreated to the corner before he could stand steadily. He patted his newly made set of snow-white linen garments and, still completely unperturbed, replied with a chuckle, “Xiaodi just wanted to test whether you, Friend had depleted some of your strength after the massaging.” He could actually behave as if nothing had happened and did not mention another word about the incident a second ago.

Zhu Qiqi glowered at him. With teeth clenched, she lamented to herself, “Shen Lang, oh Shen Lang. You fool! He wanted you to be his assistant here so he could find an opportunity to harm you. Have you not figured that out yet? You fool. You are heartless. Sometimes I really wish you will just get killed by someone.”

Bai Feifei had opened her eyes by a sliver and secretly glanced at Shen Lang. The flush in her cheeks had not faded yet. Was that shyness showing in those eyes that seemed as if they were stars in a dream? Was it adoration? Besides Shen Lang, her eyes did not even look at anyone else.

Wang Lianhua had now turned the steam of wine and vinegar to Zhu Qiqi’s face. Zhu Qiqi’s tears and nose were running, but although the feeling was difficult to bear, when she reminded herself that she was about to escape from this suffering, she could not stop her heart from thumping loudly. Any pain her body had to endure was nothing. She could bear it.

Once again, Wang Lianhua filled a clean basin with wine, vinegar, medicines, and water but this time, even more medicines than last time were poured in. Turning to Shen Lang, he said with a smile, “Curing this guniang is going to be much more troublesome than the last one. Shen Xiong will not be able to avoid spending some more of your strength.” Before he had finished speaking, he had already withdrawn into the cormer of the room and stood facing the wall.

With a forced smile, Shen Lang asked, “Still the same as last time?” It seemed he never refused anyone’s request and was able to passively take whatever came about.

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Correct. Still the same as last time. I will need to trouble Shen Xiong to place this guniang into the two basins for a soak…”

As Zhu Qiqi’s eyes watched as Shen Lang hands touched her buttons, she could not stop her heart from leaping and bumping wildly like a fawn, and it felt as if it was about to jump into her throat. Unwittingly, she also shut her eyes together tightly. She felt coolness hit her body before she was immersed into the warm water. She curled her body in, all the while hearing in her ears waves of aroused gasping and moaning. Just a moment ago, she had inwardly criticized Bai Feifei, but now, the gasps and groans were coming from her. She felt dazed and dizzy, like she was floating as if in a dream or in the clouds and higher. She did not know how much time passed. It felt endlessly long yet, at the same time, also like a short moment.

Finally, her body was lifted up, wiped dry, and clothed again. By now, those sensations of being stiff and numb had gradually faded away and she was slowly regaining the feeling in her body. As a result, she was aware of a pair of hot hands massaging her body. Her breathing unconsciously grew even heavier and her moans rang out even louder…

She had unknowingly started crying out with her voice again. This should have been a jubilant event for she had vowed that, the instant she was able to use her voice, she would expose Wang Lianhua’s evil scheme. She had also vowed that she would give Shen Lang a fierce reprimanding. However, in her current dazed state of bliss and ecstasy, she was actually not aware that she was able to use her voice again and had forgotten about speaking.

Bai Feifei was curled up in the corner on the bed. Her breathing had not yet calmed back down, and she would frequently cast secret glances at Shen Lang. Wang Lianhua was still standing with his face toward the wall and appeared to be deep in thought.

This was such a bizarre scene, such a peculiar situation. The more carefully you thought about it, the more difficult it would be for you to believe that such an interesting gathering could occur. The connection between these four people was so subtle, yet the Creator had arranged for them to gather together under such unique circumstances.

Wang Lianhua stood in silent contemplation for a long while until eventually, he turned around, picked up a new pair of scissors, pinched Zhu Qiqi’s eyelid and pulled it up. But even though his left fingers were pinching her lid and the scissors in his right hand were also in contact with it, the blade did not cut down. He merely fixed his gaze intently on Shen Lang as if mesmerized.

Shen Lang could not help inquiring, “Friend, why are you not starting yet?”

“Xiaodi’s thoughts are extremely disordered at the moment, and I cannot gather my concentration. If I recklessly start the work now, I am afraid I will damage this guniang’s face.”

“Why suddenly are Friend’s thoughts so disordered?” Shen Lang asked in surprise.

Wang Lianhua gave a faint smile before answering, “Xiaodi was just pondering, how would Friend treat Xiaodi after I have returned the jade bodies of these two guniang to their former state?”

Shen Lang smiled, “As a friend, naturally. Friend, why would you have misgivings?”

“Just a little while ago, Xiaodi struck out twice at you to test you. Friend, did you truly not take it to heart? Friend, did it really never cross your mind that Xiaodi had the intention of harming you?”

Shen Lang chuckled, “There has never been any hatred or grudges between you and I. Why would you want to harm me?”

Wang Lianhua’s face brightened and with a smile, he said, “If that is the case, Xiaodi can set my heart at ease now. But I hope that Friend will never forget what you just said, and you will forever view me as a friend.”

“If Friend does not reject me, naturally, Xiaodi will never forget either.”

Wang Lianhua smiled. “Good…” He suddenly set down the scissors and walked away.

Shen Lang could not help asking once again, “Friend, why are you not starting now?”

“Since you are willing to lower yourself and agree to be friends with me, of course Xiaodi should raise three cups in toast to you.” He found two tea cups and filled them to the top with wine from the jug.

“But… but this guniang…” Shen Lang reminded.

Wang Lianhua assured, “Friend, set your heart at ease. Xiaodi shall take responsibility for restoring this guniang’s appearance. If Friend, you will temporarily stop for a moment, there will not be any harm.” He had already brought over and was offering up the two cups of wine and so Shen Lang had no choice but to cease the motion of his hands and receive a cup from him. Wang Lianhua raised his glass and smiled, “With this cup of wine, I wish you Friend many blessings and longevity. Even more so, I hope that from this day forward, Friend will think of Xiaodi as a confidant and we will go through all woes and hardships together.”

Shen Lang also raised his glass and responded with a smile, “Thank you…”

By now, Zhu Qiqi’s mind had started to clear, and she happened to turn her eyes toward them. She saw Shen Lang take the cup of wine Wang Lianhua had given to him and bring it to his lips. Although she had held some resentment toward Shen Lang a moment ago and also knew that, once she spoke, Wang Lianhua may not be willing to help her and she would forever have to stay with this hideous appearance, when she saw that Shen Lang was about to drink the wine Wang Lianhua had poured, she did not care about anything else. In a moment of desperation, she yelled unexpectedly, “Put down…”
    Last edited by Hoju!; 10-23-09 at 12:48 PM.

Gosh, SL is just so darn cool! I love the way he talks, so polite. ZQQ really doesn't deserve him. After knowing SL all this time, she still doesn't understand how intelligent he is and keeps underestimating his skills. SL is risking so much danger just to save 2 girls he doesn't know. She should be even more appreciative of his heroic nature.

Gu Long certainly doesn't stray from rated scenes. All this massaging and moaning must be for his male readers.

Rented tapes are a thing of the past, but I have very fond memories of waiting for the release of new episodes. Plus, it was worth waiting for series back then.

Thanks again for all your efforts in translating, Hoju. Don't know how I can satisfy my craving for the smexy SL otherwise

Buttons?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Expect the unexpected. Truely Gu Long style.

Thank you, Ms. Hoju. You haven't forgotten us.

@ Han: 'Buttons' is what I meant to say. 衣鈕 is what was used in the text, which are buttons on clothing. However, they're probably not the round, plastic ones you're thinking of. Maybe the ones that look like little balls? Anyone have suggestions for another word?
    Nope, I haven't forgotten. However, I will be going away on holidays soon and won't have time for translating for the next little while. I've been trying to post updates within 2 weeks of one another, but the next one will very likely take longer than that.

Chapter 10 continued.....

Perhaps it was because she had not spoken for a long time, but now as she suddenly shouted out, her voice was a little muddled and unclear. Wang Lianhua and Shen Lang were both shocked, and Shen Lang turned around to ask, “Guniang, what did you say?”

Zhu Qiqi had wanted to say, “Put down the cup. The wine is poisoned.” However, she really had not believed that any sound would come from her cry. After so many days of being mute, with the recovery of her voice, the excitement and surprise she was feeling was not something anyone else could imagine. When the words “put down” had left her lips, she had even surprised herself and for a long, long time was unable to say another word.

Something flashed across Wang Lianhua’s eyes, and he suddenly swept across the room and lightly hit the “Mute Acupoint” beneath her chin. She wanted to say more but was unable to. All she could do was break out in a cold sweat from anxiety.

Shen Lang frowned. “Wang Xiong, why are you not allowing this guniang to speak?”

Smiling in reply, Wang Lianhua explained, “This guniang has been given too great a scare, and her mind has not calmed down yet. Now that she has regained her voice and once her body is able to move, she may do some unthinkable things out of her bad state of mind. Xiaodi nearly forgot about this point a moment ago, but now that I have remembered, it is best if we let her get more rest.” His speaking stopped briefly before he raised his cup again. “Please.”

Shen Lang hesitated briefly but Wang Lianhua had already downed the entire cup, and so he had no choice but to throw his head back and drink his as well. Watching him off to the side, Zhu Qiqi was so panicked that tears had sprung into her eyes.

Wang Lianhua filled the cups again and smiled, “This cup is to wish Friend…” Amid all the kind praises and wishes and words of blessing pouring off his lips, Shen Lang unknowingly had drunk down three cups of wine.

Zhu Qiqi’s entire body had gone cold. The hate-filled voice of Wang Lianhua from that day in the underground cell seemed to ring out beside her ear again. “Shen Lang… Shen Lang… Fine. I would like to see what kind of character he really is… I am determined on having him die in front of me.” It seemed as if she could already see him bleeding from the seven orifices of his head and falling down backwards. Her only wish was that she had drunk those three cups of poisoned wine herself.

The moon had slowly risen higher. Even Xiong Mao’er had waited to the point where he too was finding the situation a little odd. Ouyang Xi was tapping his feet nonstop as he wondered, “Why have they not come out yet?” By now, it had been a long time since any weird noises had been heard coming from the room, but this abnormal silence made people even more anxious.

Xiong Mao’er gave a sigh. “It seems this really is harder than having a baby.”

Dinner and wine had been laid out before the hall, but neither one of the three was in the mood to enjoy them.

Ouyang Xi was muttering, “Something’s gone wrong. Something must have gone wrong……” Casting a sideways glance at Xiong Mao’er, he challenged, “What do you think? Still continue waiting here stupidly?”

Xiong Mao’er’s tone was pensive as he replied, “Wait a little longer… wait a little longer.”

Jin Wuwang suddenly spoke up in a cool voice. “If we wait a little longer and something goes wrong, you must take responsibility for it.”

“I must take responsibility?” Xiong Mao’er repeated. “Why should I take responsibility?”

With a cold smirk, Jin Wuwang stated, “If you are not willing to take responsibility, then I am going to charge in there now.” He rose abruptly to his feet, but Xiong Mao’er once again moved to block the door. “What do you want now?” Jin Wuwang demanded in anger.

“Even if we are going in, we should at least let them know,” Xiong Mao’er reminded.

Immediately, Ouyang Xi went and knocked on the door. “May we come in?”

They heard Wang Lianhua’s voice answer from the other side of the door, “Why are you so anxious? Wait a little longer and everything will be finished.”

Xiong Mao’er laughed, “What do you think? Any harm in waiting a little longer?”

When Zhu Qiqi heard the knocking coming from outside, her heart was thrilled for a moment. She hoped Xiong Mao’er, Jin Wuwang, and others would hurry up and storm in. No matter what, it would at least solve Shen Lang’s immediate danger.

But after Wang Lianhua answered them, quiet immediately fell on the other side of the door. Zhu Qiqi was disappointed and panicked, but even more so, she was heartbroken. Despairingly, she cast a glance over at Shen Lang. She had not dared to look at him, but yet she could not help herself.

Shen Lang, though, was standing there perfectly fine, his lips still showing that slight smile – that relaxed, carefree smile that was unique to him. He did not show even the slightest signs of poisoning. Zhu Qiqi paused again, not knowing whether she should be shocked or happy that the wine had not been poisoned. That truly was something she had not even dreamed would happen.

Wang Lianhua said, “For this last bit of work, Xiaodi does not need any help. After all the exertion a moment ago, Shen Xiong must be a little tired. Why don’t you take a seat and have a rest?”

“I shall trouble Friend with things, then,” Shen Lang smiled. Sure enough, he appeared extremely tired and had only just taken a seat before his eyelids closed and his body started swaying. Then, the smile on the corner of his mouth also faded away, and his swaying body eventually fell backwards onto the chair back. It was not known whether he really had fallen asleep or unconscious or even dead.

Zhu Qiqi had just set her mind at ease, but now seeing Shen Lang in this state, she could not hold back tears of panic again and was frustrated that she was unable to wail in weeping. Shen Lang had at last fallen to Wang Lianhua’s evil schemes. In the end, her guess had been right; those three cups of wine had contained poison.

Wang Lianhua’s eyes were looking at Shen Lang. A faint smile had appeared at the corner of his lips, a rather sly smile. Then, still with that smile, he walked over until he was in front of Zhu Qiqi and lowered his head to look at her. Zhu Qiqi’s eyes seemed as if they were going to spout fire from them. She wished dearly that her eyes actually could spout fire so this evil demon of a man would be burned alive.

But the gaze Wang Lianhua was using to look at her was tender and intimate. With his left hand, he unsealed Zhu Qiqi’s acupoint, but then his right hand once again pressed down on her “Mute Acupoint”. This way, although Zhu Qiqi was able to speak, her breathing still felt obstructed and she could not raise her voice. In the end, Zhu Qiqi simply decided to grit her teeth together and not say anything at all. However, Wang Lianhua merely smiled, “Zhu Guniang, you have something to say. Why won’t you speak it out?”

Bai Feifei’s eyes suddenly grew wide and she looked as if she was trying to pull herself up onto her feet, but Wang Lianhua’s long sleeve gave a flutter and brushed against her “Slumber Acupoint.”

Zhu Qiqi got another shock from this, and in a tremoring voice, she asked, “You… how did you know I am Zhu… Zhu…”

Wang Lianhua cut her off with a laugh. “When I heard your moaning a little while ago, I was already somewhat able to guess who you were because that moaning seemed rather familiar when I heard it. At that point in time, I started to have some regrets. Why did I not think it could be you until then? Why did I hand you right into Shen Lang’s hands? My own trap ended up taking me in.”

Zhu Qiqi was filled with shame and hate. She knew this evil demon had in fact heard that type of moaning coming from her before. She would never forget, even in her death, the scene in the underground prison when this evil demon had been indecent to her.

Wang Lianhua continued with another chuckle, “Unfortunately, though, your Shen Xianggong has never heard that lovable moaning of yours so he never even dreamed that it was you…”

Her voice was raspy as she cried, “You evil devil… you…”

Wang Lianhua merely ignored her and carried on, “And because he never even dreamed it could be you, even when you yelled out loudly just a moment ago, he still did not recognize that it was your voice but lowly, unimportant me did.”

Zhu Qiqi spat through clenched teeth, “You… you animal.”

His laughter grew even more pleased with himself as he responded, “Correct, I am an animal, but this animal is still a little better than that great hero of your heart. I told you this before. You did not believe me at the time, but now, you only need to take one look at him to know that a thousand Shen Langs cannot compare to one Wang Lianhua.”

In a voice filled with loathing, Zhu Qiqi retorted, “You use trickery to harm someone and you would still have the gall to boast about it in front of me. All men of the world have lost face because of you…… If you had relied on true skill to kill him, I would respect you. What you have done now, though, I… Even if I become a ghost, I will not let you get away.”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “Unfortunately, you are still alive and well and cannot become a ghost yet.”

“He is dead already. I will die soon to keep him company,” Zhu Qiqi said hoarsely.

“He is dead? Who said he is dead?”

Zhu Qiqi paused briefly before quavering, “You… you have not killed him yet?”

Wang Lianhua laughed, “If I had killed him, you would hate me for the rest of your life. You are the only woman I have truly loved in this life of mine. How could I allow you to hate me?”

Zhu Qiqi was flooded with surprise and delight. “But he… right now, he…”

“Right now, he has been knocked out by my medicine and is asleep. You can rest assured. The effects of this drug are rather unusual. There are not even the slightest adverse reactions associated with it. In fact, when he wakes up, he will not even know that he had been drugged, and he will only feel as if he had dozed off.”

“Why… why would you do that?” Zhu Qiqi asked.

“I did this only because I wanted you to know that, in the end, I am better and stronger than him. If he really was as smart as you say, why would he fall into my trap?”

“He is a gentleman [orig. ‘junzi’; a person of noble character]. Of course he would not be guarding against trickery from you,” Zhu Qiqi snapped.

Wang Lianhua burst out in laughter. “Yes, he is a gentleman, and I am a bad person [orig. ‘xiao ren’; literally translated as ‘small person’; a person of low character]. But you are a bad person too. A bad person plus a bad person make a pair. One day, you will know that only I am truly a good match for you. One day, you will return to my side. It could very well be because you simply are not good enough for him. Why must you wait for that day? In my opinion, you should just be with me now so you can avoid that day of heartbrokenness and tears.”

Outraged, Zhu Qiqi cursed, “Bull****! Bull****!...... I would rather marry a pig or dog before I married you, an animal who is even lower than a pig or dog. You should just give up on that idea.”

Wang Lianhua grinned, “You can hate me now or yell at me, but you must never forget that today, right now, I said these words to you.”

With detest, Zhu Qiqi replied, “Of course, I will not forget. Even if I die, I will not forget. But if I were you, it would be best if Shen Lang and I were killed now.”

“Why would I kill you? How could I bring myself to kill you?”

Zhu Qiqi gave a cold smile. “If you do not kill me, when Shen Lang wakes up, I will expose your evil schemes and secrets and tell Shen Lang to kill you.”

Wang Lianhua roared with laughter. “That is precisely what I want you to do. Otherwise, why would I want to release you? Why would I say all these things to you now?”

Seeing him laughing so confidently, Zhu Qiqi could not help feeling startled as she asked, “You are not scared?”

Wang Lianhua grinned, “Say it, and then you will see whether I am scared or not…”

Suddenly, from Shen Lang’s direction, slight sounds of movement were heard.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 11-03-09 at 09:22 PM.

Hmmm,

I dont think Shen Lang is dumb enough to be poisoned. Even someone like me will not drink poison wine after being attacked twice by him and I will recognize the voice of Miss Zhu if I spend that much time with her.

^ I agree. I bet he faked being asleep to hear their conversation and understand Wang Lianhua's true motives.

ZQQ can be annoying, but gotta give her some bonus points for being so loyal to SL. But then again, what woman in her right mind wouldn't fall head over heels for SL?

Thanks again, Hoju. I will miss your update, but hope you will have a wonderful holiday break. Eat lots of food and with friends and family. In the meantime, I will re-read the previous chapters whenever I miss SL

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    ^ I agree. I bet he faked being asleep to hear their conversation and understand Wang Lianhua's true motives.

ZQQ can be annoying, but gotta give her some bonus points for being so loyal to SL. But then again, what woman in her right mind wouldn't fall head over heels for SL?
    Agree about the fake thing. It's been in many stories.

Also, "what woman in her right mind wouldn't fall head over heels for SL?"
    Even I COULD fall for SL, if I were gay. Which is not, btw. I swear.