Thread: Do you learn more from Success or Failure?

Default Do you learn more from Success or Failure?

Discussss.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Simply put -- Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

good question.

it depends. in academic, it seems that i learn more from success. if i get an "A" for finance 1 this semester, i will aim and study hard for another "A" for finance 2 next semester. on the other hand, if i get a "C" for marketing 1 this semester, I will feel that i am not "cut-out" for the subject. hence, i will not study as hard as finance 2 in next semester. Self-fulfilling theory.

in life, it seems that i learn more from failure. make a mistake. and pump the experience into the head. so that not to make the same mistake again.

Some failures people never get the chance to learn from because they're fatal.

failure, i don't fail alot so i don't learn much lol.

There isn't much learned from success in and of itself per se. You just get the confirmation that what you did was correct. There is no new knowledge or insight gained from the process... Success is more a measure of how correct your hypothesis was. So the only thing learned is the fact that "you are correct."

Failure usually leads to reflection... which can potentially lead to new postulates and insights. It is something that makes you re-think and ask more questions. Only when one asks questions will one learn.

Both, success helps me refine things better. When something works for me, I begin to understand why it works and how to make it better, more efficient etc. I get more creative and explore new possibilities.

Failure, I learn through stupid trial and error. It's a shaky foundation. Less of a structure, and more of a plaster mold, I just learn what to avoid.

In terms of career and school, I think it would be success.

However, in life matters aside from those two (relationships, lifestyle changes, etc.) failure teaches us more because in success, we don't always know exactly what went right, since success doesn't come from just one small thing. When it's failure, it's easier for us to know what we did wrong so we won't do it next time. But as Ken Cheng said above, we don't always get that chance.

when u fail you will not want to repeat it. so maybe a failure is more important.

When you succeed, you will want to repeat it.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, just commenting.

I'd love to say that in life I've always been an unqualified success as far as academics, interpersonal relationships, and work. Unfortunately, that's just not the case LoL...faaaarrrrrrrr from the truth frankly.

So, I learn best from my failures and the mistakes of the people around me. I pay very close attention to the people who matter to me most. I'm the type of human being who knows when my loved one prefers handles to door knobs. Now as an adult, I've only just come to realize how fallible and imperfect people are. But I love and care for some of them more. However, I also get serious admonishments from them when I make mistakes ...so I've learned from that kind of behavior too. In addition, when they treat me in a way that hurts my feelings, I try not to emulate that kind of behavior towards someone else or dish it back at the ones who hurt me. Some behaviors and attitudes, I'd rather not "learn."

I am a problem solver not a dweller. In the face of failure, I usually try my best to somehow improve the situation for the better. In the case of success, I celebrate my own cleverness. haha.
    Last edited by ByTmE; 07-23-10 at 03:41 PM.
    I like me.

When you succeed, it generally teaches you what you did was correct. When you fail, it generally teaches you what you did was wrong.

In terms of learning, both are good. Since most people succeed much more often than they fail (e.g. even a poor student passes more than 50% of his classes), failure is more instructive. However the immediate reward of success is better. Also, if someone continuously fails this presumably means their failures have not been very instructive.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

you can always learn. even in success you can always do better.
    Obviously you do learn more from failure, because there's more things you did incorrectly or at least inefficiently.

failures.

i rarely remember the good things i've done in life. i'm always punishing myself for the things i do wrong, hence failures tend to dictate my life.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

My manager once said that we learn in the valleys of life, because that is when we are searching for a way up the road.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”