By the way, this topic is ELOD.

Exposing **Lovable Overlooked Details.

** How about Fluffy instead of Lovable? Then it is EFOD
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    By the way, this topic is ELOD.

Exposing **Lovable Overlooked Details.

** How about Fluffy instead of Lovable? Then it is EFOD
    How about integrating philosophically overlooked details?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    What are some details that you think are generally read over and forgotten, but would be fun to share with everyone?

I'll start it off with Hong Qi mentioning that during the first Huashan meeting, him and Huang Yaoshi proved slightly inferior to the Southern Emperor, who in turn was unable to overcome Ouyang Feng.

If anyone has the original chinese text, it'd be nice if it could be posted so I could see what it says exactly.
    That is not exactly what Hong Qigong said. It's in chapter 12 of LOCH:
    洪七公道:「哈,他不厲害?『東邪、西毒、南帝、北丐、中神通』。你爹爹是東邪、那歐陽鋒便是西毒了。武功 天下第一的王真人已經逝世,剩下我們四個大家半斤八兩,各有所忌。你爹爹厲害不厲害?我老叫化的本事也不小 罷?」黃蓉「嗯」了一聲,心下暗自琢磨,過了一會,說道:「我爹爹好好的,幹嗎稱他『東邪』?這個外號,我 不喜歡。」洪七公笑道:「你爹爹自己可挺喜歡呢。他這人古靈精怪,旁門左道,難道不是邪麼?要講武功,終究 全真教是正宗,這個我老叫化是心服口服的。」向郭靖道:「你學過全真派的內功,是不是?」郭靖道:「馬鈺馬 道長傳過弟子兩年。」洪七公道:「這就是了,否則你短短一個多月,怎能把我的『降龍十八掌』練到這樣的功力 。」黃蓉又問:「那麼『南帝』是誰?」洪七公道:「南帝,自然是皇帝。」郭靖與黃蓉都感詫異。黃蓉道:「臨 安的大宋皇帝?」洪七公哈哈大笑,說道:「臨安那皇帝小子的力氣,剛夠端起一隻金飯碗吃飯,兩隻碗便端不起 了。不是大宋皇帝!那位『南帝』功夫之強,你爹爹和我都忌他三分,南火克西金,他更是老毒物歐陽鋒的剋星。 」郭靖與黃蓉聽得都不大瞭然,又見洪七公忽然呆呆出神,也就不敢多問。洪七公望著天空,皺眉思索了好一陣, 似乎心中有個極大難題,過了一會,轉身入店。

But in LOCH chapter 33 we read this:
    幸好聽洪七公接下去道:「沒甚麼。我不識瑛姑,但段皇爺落髮出家之時,我就在他身旁。那日他送信到北邊來, 邀我南下。我知他若無要事,決不致驚動老叫化,又想起雲南火腿、過橋米線和餌塊的美味,當即動身。會面之後 ,我瞧他神情頹傷,與華山論劍時那生龍活虎的模樣已大不相同,心中好生奇怪。我到達後數日,他就借口切磋武 功,要將先天功和一陽指傳給我。老叫化心想:他當日以一陽指和我的降龍十八掌、老毒物的蛤蟆功、黃老邪的劈空掌與彈指神通打成平手,如今又得王重陽傳授了先天功,二次華山論劍,武功天下第一的名號非他莫屬,為甚竟要將這兩門絕技平白無端 的傳給老叫化?如說切磋武功,為甚麼又不肯學我的降龍十八掌,其中必有蹺蹊。後來老叫化細細琢磨,又背著他 與他的四大弟子一商量,終於瞧出了端倪,原來他把這兩門功夫傳了給我之後,就要自戕而死。至於他為甚麼如此 傷心,他的弟子卻不知情。」

So, Duan Zhixing was not better than Hong Qigong and Huang Yaoshi at the First Huashan Meeting
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Ohh, so the "Air Chopping Palm" was a great art (albeit paired with the Divine Flicking Finger which was a well-known great art) which was comparable with the Yiyang finger, Toad Stance and Dragon Palms? That makes Qu Lingfeng's crippling and death even sadder, as he was supposed to be an exponent of it. Imagine how powerful he'd be if he only had his legs intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Ohh, so the "Air Chopping Palm" was a great art (albeit paired with the Divine Flicking Finger which was a well-known great art) which was comparable with the Yiyang finger, Toad Stance and Dragon Palms? That makes Qu Lingfeng's crippling and death even sadder, as he was supposed to be an exponent of it. Imagine how powerful he'd be if he only had his legs intact.
    Apparently so! It seems that in all adaptions (and the novel too, really) that skill is barely mentioned despite it's apparent power. I think LOCH '94 mentioned it briefly which is nice.

I got the original quote from the LOCH translation so I guess it was a bit off. It's gratifying to be able to read the original chinese text after so many years of waiting for translations...even if it takes a long time to get through a sentence or two :P

Just spent some time going thru old stuff while indulging in my favorite snack.

This is still my favorite overlooked detail:

that YG once felt like XLN and Yideng were soul mates, and he (YG) was the outsider.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    What the hell?
    Even someone as detail-orienteed as you have overlooked this detail.

杨过和小龙女本来心心相印,对方即是最隐晦的心意相互也均洞悉,但此刻她和一灯对答,自己却是隔了一层。似 乎她和一灯相互知心,自己反而成了外人,这情境自与小龙女相爱以来从所未有,不由大感迷惘。
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」