View Poll Results: Do think think it's OK for family members to lie to you "for your own good?"

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • If it's for my good, then it's OK.

3 60.00%
  • No, I hate being misled, even if it's for my own good.

2 40.00%

Thread: Do you feel it's OK for family members to lie to you "for your own good?"

Default Do you feel it's OK for family members to lie to you "for your own good?"

This has probably happened to you: a member of your family (usually an elder) knowingly tells you a lie, "for your own good."

Even if good comes out of that lie, and even if the intent was good, do you find it acceptable that that person/those people lied to you?

Even though I have being lied to I thinks it's ok as long as it's for my own good. Sometimes the truth hurts and it's better to be lied to just to stay happy.

just because i don't get upset about it doesn't make the act of 'lying' correct.

i cant pick the poll because they assume you have to be hysterically angry if you think its wrong.

i just think lying is wrong; and 'for your own good' is usually subjective. sometimes if you hadn't something good to say, just don't say anything. (only in extreme circumstances would there be a damn if you lie, damn if you don't situation...which isn't usually the case why most people lie actually)

but i don't think people who 'lied' deserve all that vengeful anger...after all, who doesn't lie? but it doesnt make it right just because everyone does it.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

If an answer is being solicited which results in a lie, then I think it's okay (provided that the lie was made solely with the other person's interest in mind). For instance, my cousin recently asked whether or not I liked her new BF, and I said "he's okay", even though he's not the type of person I'd get along with. What good would it do to tell her I don't like him anyway?

Sometimes, when the positives of a lie outweigh the negatives I believe it's acceptable to lie. Particularly if it involves being sensitive to someone's feelings or keeping information from someone who doesn't need it.

That being said, "acceptable" and "right" are not synonymous.

Depends. I personally don't like being lied to, but I can understand why sometimes my parents would keep something from me.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Little white lies (like the example given by skylee) that don't hurt anyone is ok.

I can't answer this because there is no black and white answer in this question. It depends on the nature of the lie.

Like xJadedx, I don't like being lied to, but, I can understand why my parents to it. Like when my cousin brother died and my mother didn't mention it to me at all. I got a shocked when I went back to hometown and got to know this. The reason mother gave was she didn't want to upset me and I couldn't do anything even if I know. I was angry and upset with my mom's action because it made me feel so disconnected with my family and hometown. I disagree with what my mother did but I can understand her intention. I think she just didn't understand what's more important to me at that time.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-06-10 at 09:05 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I am not sure about the "for my own good" part, because I do not think anyone should decide what is best for my but myself.

But I don't mind being lied to, so long as they can keep me in the dark forever. Sometimes the truth is overrated.

I don't mind being lied to. But I care what the intention for lying was.

For me, it is fine. In every family and/or any other situation, there is often some white lies here and there.