Page 13 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Qing Shi Huang Fei 《倾世皇妃》 - Ruby Lin, Yan Kuan, Wallace Huo

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/4_img/2011_06/703_263926_325100.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/4_img/2011_06/703_263925_613383.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/4_img/2011_06/703_263927_997840.jpg')

Well, I think the costumes in Pre-Song dynasty must have looked Korean. E.g. in Young Warriors of the Yang Clan, the costumes looked Japanese/Korean, but at least the girls' costumes didn't look so heavy.

I wouldn't really use TV series as an accurate historical judgement of what costumes looked like back then

But considering that there was a lot more contact with Japan and modern day areas of Korea during the Tang dynasty, it wouldn't be surprising if there is a lot of similarities. Plus, there were lots of influences on the Tang from the northern and western tribes (and vice versa) which may also have influenced Korea & Japan.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that the Sui/Tang dynasty marked the increase in variety of clothing styles for both men and women (and where our TV costume designers decide to take liberties with their creativities). For example, it was in the Tang dynasty that women started tying their dresses higher than the traditional waistline (ie near or even above the breast line as we see in Ruby's picture).
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 02-09-11 at 07:00 PM.

hmm i'm liking these recent set pics of wallace! he's actually emoting

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Yan Kuan/QiYou - he's looking very aged in this series...
    seriously. what HAPPENED to him?

Quote Originally Posted by abc123lol View Post
    usually some actors/actresses doesn't look good on pictures but when they are on screen they look really good i hope this is the case...
    i was just thinking that. hopefully that'll happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    I hate how Wallace is caked with makeup. In most series, he doesn't wear any at all.

Everyone looks old except for Wallace, who looks stoned.
    i thought all actors wore at least some make up though. its for the cameras. even with guys, you see makeup artists powdering their faces and stuff.

and LOL your comment is quite true. although i think ruby looks much better when she's NOT decked all out in princess gear. the shots where she's wearing like normal guys clothing she looks quite youthful and cute imo

Quote Originally Posted by vuongngocyen View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7582/87907576.jpg')
    for some reason i really like this pic of wallace! maybe its cause he has some expression on his face and doesnt look stoned

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    Ewwww...this LianXi is totally NOT handsome.
    I AGREE. i actually started laughing when i saw that picture!!

Quote Originally Posted by kengyew View Post
    Because if you have actresses like Yang Mi or Liu Shi Shi in this series, there would be too much competition in the beauty department.
    stilll though..there are SO many more prettier actresses in mainland than hong xiao ling. (even though she's from taiwan, i think?)

Quote Originally Posted by bananajuice View Post
    heard this series might have 2 cameo - liu tao & alec su
    omg that would be amazing! i love both of them. although i strongly suspect that's just a rumor since their both really good friends of ruby's.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    omg that would be amazing! i love both of them. although i strongly suspect that's just a rumor since their both really good friends of ruby's.
    I'd watch this just to watch out for Alec Su cameo then. Miss him like crazy
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

Hello,everybody,Im new here,I hope my english is understandable.
    I dont think the costume looks korean at all.Tang women did wear clothes like that.And I watched a korean historical drama based on the Silla kimdom(when china was in Tang dynasty) named "Hae Sin",in which people wear totally chinese clothes.I heard the korean clothing (Hanbok)actually derived from Ming clothing.
    Although I dont think they used the right fabric here,which made the costume look weird.Tang clothes are supposed to look like this.

512.jpg
    511.jpg
    Last edited by MONSTER; 02-09-11 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks for the pic. Yeah, the costume in the pic you posted looks a lot more flowing and glides with the lady's movements - after all, Tang/pre-Song court women were known for their elegant dancing. The material used in Ruby's costume looks very stiff.

In the latest pics, Wallace is looking more and more like a little boy! He's like Yuan Hong...aging backwards! Looking younger in each series.

Yan Kuan looks close to 40 or even older, but he does look the part as a warring king. He has these really highly arched eyebrows and piercing stare that can look really menacing. I can see him as menacing villain, but not charming villain. Unfortunately this makes me not care about QiYou & FuYa coupling.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 02-09-11 at 11:38 PM.

I actually think the aesthetic of the costume design has a few similarities with Clothing the World aesthetics, like the silhouette cut. But I think QSHF's dresses are less buoyant and graceful, and seem to wash out the actresses, who don't have enough of a "vivid" look to wear such an overwhelming costume. And I'm disturbed by the uneveness in the material. But I'm totally looking at this from the design perspective, not the historical perspective.

i thought all actors wore at least some make up though. its for the cameras. even with guys, you see makeup artists powdering their faces and stuff.
    Yep, nearly all actors always wear at least some makeup while filming. It was said in an interview that he usually doesn't wear makeup unless it's for an effect, like to look sick or something. I can't think of another actor who doesn't wear makeup, though. It's because he has good skin and his features are defined without makeup, so there isn't much to do.
    Ooh, Liu Tao would be, like, a second person in the series who I actually find attractive (I haven't seen enough of Mao Zi Jun to deem him as such). She has a vibrant, glowing face, so even if you cake her with makeup, I can't imagine her looking old or stoned. And her acting is pretty awesome (I loved her as Ah Zhu in TLBB03). I hope it's true, then.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 02-09-11 at 11:34 PM.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

is this series about Tang dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
    Hello,everybody,Im new here,I hope my english is understandable.
    I dont think the costume looks korean at all.Tang women did wear clothes like that.And I watched a korean historical drama based on the Silla kimdom(when china was in Tang dynasty) named "Sea God",in which people wear totally chinese clothes.I heard the korean clothing (Hanbok)actually derived from Ming clothing.
    Although I dont think they used the right fabric here,which made the costume look weird.Tang clothes are supposed to look like this.
    Prior to the Chosun Dynasty in Korea, Koreans did wear clothing very very similar to the Chinese Hanfu. It is very evident when you look at any drama or movies that is set before the Chosun Dynasty. The Chosun dynasty on the other hand did derive many things from the Ming dynasty, but it later developed it's own flair in the later in the period.

The Tang is especially known for the high waisted style but it's different from the Korean Hanbok which has a fairly poofy skirt whereas the Tang one is more flowy among other things. Tang hairstyles should also look very Japanese, similar to the hairstyles of the Geisha.

With that said, I can tell you right now, Qing Shi Huang Fei is definitely going for a more fantasy style when it comes to costuming. The hairstyles and clothing are not accurate to the time period at all, although it does borrow from Tang period Hanfu. I think they did this because the original novel was set in a fictional China anyways (I could be wrong as I never read the book).

From a pure design perspective, I'm not liking the way they are adding the fur onto the costumes. It is bothering me for some reason, all the thick fur on people's necks. XD

Hint...after this period comes the Song Dynasty (and our beloved Yang Warriors )
    Last edited by xiaolong; 02-09-11 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerogame View Post
    is this series about Tang dynasty?
    No it takes place during the period of Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms, right after the collapse of the Tang. It was a very turbulent time, where many warlords fought for domination

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Thanks for the pic. Yeah, the costume in the pic you posted looks a lot more flowing and glides with the lady's movements - after all, Tang/pre-Song court women were known for their elegant dancing. The material used in Ruby's costume looks very stiff.

In the latest pics, Wallace is looking more and more like a little boy! He's like Yuan Hong...aging backwards! Looking younger in each series.

Yan Kuan looks close to 40 or even older, but he does look the part as a warring king. He has these really highly arched eyebrows and piercing stare that can look really menacing. I can see him as menacing villain, but not charming villain. Unfortunately this makes me not care about QiYou & FuYa coupling.
    The material is probably less "silky", but she's also wearing that heavy overcoat. They are filming in the mist of January afterall. We wouldn't want our actresses to freeze to death .
    But I agree with Plushie with the fur thing. Totally not feeling it. It makes them (especially Wallace) looking like some "wannabe-gangster" stuck in the wrong time period. All he's missing is some shades. Maybe that explains why they all look so stoned in the pictures.
    Lian Cheng: loving king by day, drug lord by night...

As for Yan Kuan, I don't think he looks 40. He doesn't have a babyface to look like he's in his late teens/early 20s, but I think he looks the same as he always did. Though, I have to say, YK's wigline looks terrible for some reason. By contrast, Wallace uses his natural hairline so it looks way better.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 02-10-11 at 12:39 AM.

Plushie, u know very well. Wow!
    月は
    一つしかないと
    思っていたが
    山の端でなく
    池の底にも月が出た。

It'll be interesting if Liu Tao & Alec Su in this series, but I thought Liu Tao retire already

stilll though..there are SO many more prettier actresses in mainland than hong xiao ling. (even though she's from taiwan, i think?)
    Yes, she's Taiwanese. I won't say she's very pretty, but enough for me to remember that she was in My Lucky Star with Jimmy Lin. She was also a former model and car showgirl (maybe got to know Jimmy through a racing event? - not sure).

I'm surprised she's born in 1977. Wow, the key actresses here are older than all the guys. Cougar power!
    Last edited by xiaolong; 02-10-11 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    It makes them (especially Wallace) looking like some "wannabe-gangster" stuck in the wrong time period. All he's missing is some shades. Maybe that explains why they all look so stoned in the pictures.
    Lian Cheng: loving king by day, drug lord by night...
    LOL! Imagine! That wold explain where he got the money to buy the fur in the first place! Hahaha But all joking aside, i LOVE Wallace! he is my favorite! I love his clean look here! I would say second to his scruffy look in GXYZM!

Quote Originally Posted by Drgirleam View Post
    I love his clean look here! I would say second to his scruffy look in GXYZM!
    Yes, I also much prefer Wallace's clean look to his Strange Hero scruff. Most Qing Shi book fans say he looks the best among the 3 leads.