Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Agree. If the guy cannot make any decisions for himself and have his mother makes decisions for him, I would stay away because I know I'm not valued. Basically, I don't want a guy who marries his mother. *Sigh*
    I actually know someone who married a woman who was almost exactly like his mother in personality. It was like having a second mother after his own mother passed away. But if both people are happy with each other, then they have my blessings!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Sound like ageing. Happens to me as well.
    Seems like. One and a half leg into the coffin.

Just moved to Vancouver about a week ago. Just took my car into the car dealer for major service today and it costed me almost $3,500 (New break, new tires, oil change, anything you can think of) They told me I will not need any major service like this for years. Still need to get provincial safety inspection, insurance, new license plate, new driver license, new health card. I am so tire. Good thing that I have rainy days fund; otherwise I would be in big trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Considering your birth year, that would count as cannibalism, Skoo.
    Then let me EAT you KENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNN!
    Last edited by skoo78; 07-15-15 at 11:52 AM.
    Sim neej aws...

I actually know someone who married a woman who was almost exactly like his mother in personality. It was like having a second mother after his own mother passed away. But if both people are happy with each other, then they have my blessings!
    aww...He's attached to his mother. Well we all are, no matter if it's good or bad. If the couple is happy, I'm happy for them too. This also applies to women who seek a father-like personality in their mates also.
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Just moved to Vancouver about a week ago. Just took my car into the car dealer for major service today and it costed me almost $3,500 (New break, new tires, oil change, anything you can think of) They told me I will not need any major service like this for years. Still need to get provincial safety inspection, insurance, new license plate, new driver license, new health card. I am so tire. Good thing that I have rainy days fund; otherwise I would be in big trouble
    aww...sucks for now, but when you settle in, it will be ok. How's Vancouver?
    Sim neej aws...

Then let me EAT you KENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNN!
    *Sees Skoo coming with knife and fork.*

*Runs away screaming.*

Hope all went well with moving. Love Vancouver, good food in Chinatown =)

*Runs away screaming.*
    lol reminds me of all those stories you hear about people getting killed and turn into cha siu bao.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    lol reminds me of all those stories you hear about people getting killed and turn into cha siu bao.
    or laap cheung. :Yum!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

aww...sucks for now, but when you settle in, it will be ok. How's Vancouver?
    Love the scenery and the air is good. Hopefully I can make a decent living on tutoring.

Hope all went well with moving. Love Vancouver, good food in Chinatown =)
    Yeah, the food is good and cheap. However, housing is super expensive here. Many experts predict a huge crash like US did in 2008. Hopefully I can afford to buy a place by then .

Those stories are horrific but I think there are some truth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    1. Is it true that people are getting more materialistic compared to say before 2000? Inconclusive for myself. While income-wise i am fine having worked harder and saved more in earlier working life, I find that I am constantly hoping to earn more money.
    Is this motivated by the desire to actually buy something or just a general hoarding instinct? I'm finding that my expenditures have risen sharply compared to two years ago. Most of it revolves around my new interest as equipment, accessories and range expenditures add up quickly. This is partly due to the realization that immediate gratification is worth more to me now than some nebulous idea of a bigger house in the future. Plus I would need to clean and maintain this bigger house.

*Runs away screaming.*
    ha ha ha

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/carrie-mother_BANNERS.jpg')
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 07-17-15 at 02:09 AM.
    Sim neej aws...

Love the scenery and the air is good. Hopefully I can make a decent living on tutoring.
    You will. If possible, show us how Vancouver looks like. I've never been there. The only places in Canada that I went to was Kitchener and Niagara Falls.
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    1. Is it true that people are getting more materialistic compared to say before 2000? Inconclusive for myself. While income-wise i am fine having worked harder and saved more in earlier working life, I find that I am constantly hoping to earn more money.
    I don't know about the US, but the cost of living here going up pretty dramatic in the last few years. Price of housing is skyrocketed all over big cities in Canada. Yeah, so people really need to work hard and save up if they want to own something.

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Is this motivated by the desire to actually buy something or just a general hoarding instinct? I'm finding that my expenditures have risen sharply compared to two years ago. Most of it revolves around my new interest as equipment, accessories and range expenditures add up quickly. This is partly due to the realization that immediate gratification is worth more to me now than some nebulous idea of a bigger house in the future. Plus I would need to clean and maintain this bigger house.
    Here in Vancouver, I think I would be very fortunate if I will be able to own a house in the near future given how expensive it is. I guess I have to wait for the big crash in order afford it. I envy people from the US, their houses are so much cheaper than here despite they have much much higher population. It's doesn't make sense that Seattle is so much cheaper than Vancouver. Regarding the size of the house, I agree that there is no need to have a big house. As long as it's relatively new, in a good neighborhood and enough space to live comfortably, then it's good enough. Somewhere between 1000-1500 sqf is good enough to build a family. For me, house is a place to live, not a place for party.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 07-16-15 at 05:17 PM.

Is there a point to go on a cruise with friends only to spend time away from them on different parts of the ship and then meet up for meals? My friends has asked me to go to New Zealand with her but from what I have heard, we all want to be alone.
    Cyril Connolly

Is there a point to go on a cruise with friends only to spend time away from them on different parts of the ship and then meet up for meals? My friends has asked me to go to New Zealand with her but from what I have heard, we all want to be alone.
    Different interests except common interest of eating.

he he...love those little stickers.

Ken, after catching you, I will enjoy my dinner like this: HE HE HE

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://osocio.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/pawssnoopy.jpg')
    Sim neej aws...

poor dog. is that snoopy? How can they use such pictures?