Page 101 of 365 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 7298

Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin 《步步惊心》 - Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Yuan Hong

Quote Originally Posted by Mwahaha View Post
    I'm only worried that the public may not like how serious the drama quickly becomes. But like what you said, they'll definitely have a strong following. ^^
    But for some reason... I'm hoping that the drama becomes BIGGER than Gong. I feel that the cast deserves it.
    I don't care or worry about popularity of any drama. Somehow I think good critical reception is just as or even more important. Gong may be popular but it will never be a classic because it was critically panned and puked on, plus most people seem to have bad memories of it. Look at how fondly remembered the original HZGG was as well as Yongzheng Wang Chao. Now those are amongst the great classics of C-drama to be remembered and loved forever. BBJX the Novel already has that position, so I hope that they will pull every stops (now that they have time on their hands) to make the TV series a classic in every aspect, especially the music score. I really think a great music score is really important for that fond remembrance factor. E.g. to this date, my Mom can still fondly hum every tune from TVB's original LOCH and ROCH adaptations in the 1980s.

Anyway, I think most dramas aired on Hunan TV are guaranteed popularity anyway. I just came back from a stay in a remote rural village in Dali where the only TV channels available were CCTV and the local Kunming station. And for Hunan TV's drama viewership to even surpass CCTV's which has tentacles that extend everywhere, even to the most remotest of rural areas - that says A LOT!
    Last edited by xiaolong; 06-28-11 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwahaha View Post
    I'm only worried that the public may not like how serious the drama quickly becomes. But like what you said, they'll definitely have a strong following. ^^
    But for some reason... I'm hoping that the drama becomes BIGGER than Gong. I feel that the cast deserves it.
    To be honest I have no idea why Gong became that popular that fast. Although, that was the same with CP3 (which I thought was terrible but was also mega-popular...not to the same extent as Gong though I don't think? I'm not too sure about ratings comparisons between the two). I'm assuming it was mostly due to FSF/YM's real-life and onscreen chemistry because the rest of the series was barely watchable (and none of the other actors exploded into stardom).

As for the cast of BB...I haven't seen any of them act except for YH () and LSS so it's still a pretty "unknown" cast to me (especially since YH's role seems small ). Based on quality of script I'm sure BB "deserves" to be more popular than Gong, but who knows how these things work. At the very least though the main actors are sure to get a lot of exposure through BB.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Look at how fondly remembered the original HZGG was as well as Yongzheng Wang Chao. Now those are amongst the great classics of C-drama to be remembered and loved forever.
    Funny you mention YZWC because that is the main reason why I'm still feeling kind of irked about BB (and why I probably hate Gong a lot more than I would otherwise just based on a bad script). If these time-travel stories took place in another time period I would be so much happier! >_< But yes, all of Hunan TV's dramas seem to skyrocket to popularity. O_o I don't understand it but guess their marketing team is doing something right!
    Last edited by mango_cake; 06-28-11 at 10:58 PM.

Oops, delete please...my computer messed up.

Mango, Gong's ratings did surpass CP3 and HunanTV 2010's highest rated drama "Let's Watch Meteor Shower." Despite its ludicrous storyline, I do think Gong's popularity had a greater impact than CP3. Gong's audience spanned all age groups, even the elderly and middle-age working parents while CP3 attracted mostly students and young adults. (Like somehow my parents were addicted to watching Gong, but my mom could barely sit through a few minutes of CP3 when I told her to watch it -_-. I guess she's not a big fan of CGI.)

In a sense, I feel CP3 was more story driven while Gong was more character driven because Gong's storyline absolutely lacked coherency. Most people watched Gong for 8th Prince/QC interaction not YZ's bad storytelling (cuz ratings dropped when the 8th Prince didn't show up for 2 episodes). Now both YM and FSF are getting lucrative film offers and slowing moving away from the small screen to the big screen (of course all this is also the doing of their powerful management companies).

As for HunanTV scheduling, they reserved the most competitive broadcasting period for HZGG because HZGG was their little prized "pet project" which they eagerly sought production rights from Qiong Yao. BBXJ in contrast was produced by TR and sold to HunanTV to air. In China, I believe the summer and Chinese new year holiday are the most sought after broadcasting period for any dramas. That's why Karen purposely flew to Changsha (HunanTV headquarter) to negotiate, but it seems she failed to convince them.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 06-28-11 at 11:26 PM.

Yeah, Hunan TV is now really powerful. I think a "3" rating on Hunan TV is higher than a "6" on Jiangsu TV where CP3 was aired.

OK, so we all have to endure New HZGG with their meh-looking actors throughout July and the first part of August. At least Gong had gorgeous eye candy in YM, but I don't see any in New HZGG Even FSF & Mickey, both of whom I don't find hot, look MUCH better than the men in New HZGG.

BBJX can only rely on solid story-telling and script (crossing fingers that Tong Hua's backing injects greatness into the script) as (admittedly) there's definitely NO way LongShi can battle tete-a-tete with FengMi. And then Kevin-LSS *face palm* - what can I say?
    Last edited by xiaolong; 06-29-11 at 12:15 AM.

Gong beat the new Meteor Garden?! I didn't watch it (actually never watched the original MG either, not really my type of drama) but I heard it was huge in China. Out of curiosity do you know the number comparisons between new MG, CP3, and Gong? I think I read somewhere that Gong broke the record of Hunan TV's most-watched series in the past 5 years, but what about before then (i.e. overall most popular series)? How does the old HZGG compare?

Anyhow based on the trailers released I can only think of new HZGG as being a flop so don't know what Hunan TV is thinking. >_< Perhaps they should stick to buying other company's productions instead of producing a project themselves.

On the topic of comparing eyecandy...HZGG I do find a few of the secondary actresses very pretty (Qing Er, Xiang Fei, Jin Suo), but all the actors and the 2 main actresses are kinda meh. In Gong, apart from YM, TLY and a couple of other actresses looked lovely as well...actor-wise I loved Mao Zi Jun best (14th prince, pity he had such a small role). In BBJX, so far only YH appeals to me among the actors (Nicky is passable I guess--I did think he was hot when he was younger but he's too old now). A couple of the actresses are pretty but I think the styling/makeup is not the best, making them look sort of washed-out. Overall, not too many complaints about actresses in all 3 series (except ZW in HZGG needed a gorgeous actress), while the male cast of all of them could do with improvement.

This is so disappointing!
    I was so looking forward to the BBJX.
    Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Out of curiosity do you know the number comparisons between new MG, CP3, and Gong? I think I read somewhere that Gong broke the record of Hunan TV's most-watched series in the past 5 years, but what about before then (i.e. overall most popular series)? How does the old HZGG compare?
    Actually I think it's very difficult to compare given China's very huge and diverse TV market. Unlike HK and Taiwan, China doesn't seem to have a unified ratings system by a trusted agency (like AC Nielson). E.g. I'm not sure how Gong measured up to CCTV's ROCH06 and Qiao Jia Da Yuan. Maybe best is to see what these series did for the street cred & popularity of their actors, producers and directors.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 06-29-11 at 12:55 AM.

That's why Karen purposely flew to Changsha (HunanTV headquarter) to negotiate, but it seems she failed to convince them.
    I may be exaggerating on the numbers here But didn't like million of fans flooded Hunan TV's weibo trying to change their minds also?

I just came back from a stay in a remote rural village in Dali where the only TV channels available were CCTV and the local Kunming station. And for Hunan TV's drama viewership to even surpass CCTV's which has tentacles that extend everywhere, even to the most remotest of rural areas - that says A LOT!
    It's no wonder why they're the biggest TV station, they're all over the country. I was even surprised to see it being broadcasted in the Bahamas!

there's definitely NO way LongShi can battle tete-a-tete with FengMi. And then Kevin-LSS *face palm* - what can I say?
    It's okay that your LongShi won't beat FengMi I, though not a fan of your LongShi still prefer them over FengMi anyday... Also, I will stand alone if nobody is willing to stand behind me!!! I still like 8th(Kevin)/RuoXi(LSS) romantic scenes. I loved the snow scene and I do see the warmth in 8th's eyes when gazing into hers. I liked their first meeting in the trailer, especially liked the camera following RuoXi's eyes down to his...hmm...okay I don't know what it's called..hehehe, somebody help me...the thing that indicate his title I thought that scene was cute....
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 06-29-11 at 01:23 AM.

This is sad, especially the bit about Yu Zheng's new drama cutting into the slot. But like someone said earlier, BBJX cast should use this extra time wisely and make any edits to post and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    I liked ther first meeting in the trailer, especially liked the camera following RuoXi's eyes down to his...hmm...okay I don't know what it's called..hehehe, somebody help me...the thing that indicate his title I thought that scene was cute....
    LMAO. Please someone tell me I'm not alone in what I thought LXX was going to say about RuoXi's eyes going down to his...well, you know...

LMAO. Please someone tell me I'm not alone in what I thought LXX was going to say about RuoXi's eyes going down to his...well, you know...
    Mango, you perve ...hahahaha. Now, your mind is thinking like munianci!

It's all your fault! You didn't have to hesitate for so long and keep going "hmmm...hehehehe". What did you expect me to think?! XD

My mind is usually perfectly innocent and pure, thank you very much.

LXX and I were just talking about actors' fingers She likes the skinny type (YH's) whereas I prefer the thick type (Peter's)

Edit: Ahem!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i52.tinypic.com/vhgt3p.jpg')
    Last edited by munianci; 06-29-11 at 01:09 AM.
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

It's all your fault! You didn't have to hesitate for so long and keep going "hmmm...hehehehe". What did you expect me to think?! XD

My hesitation was only "hmm" not "hmmm....hehehehe"!! Oh no, here comes your reinforcement!!! LOL

LXX and I were just talking about actors' fingers She likes the skinny type (YH's) whereas I prefer the thick type (Peter)
    Whatever I think you may be a little too proud of Peter's fingers there(all wringly...LOL). I don't see anybody else compliment it...hehehe
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 06-29-11 at 01:18 AM.

Ok fine, so I added an extra "m" to the "hmm" and an extra "he" to your "hehehe" (it's there!! further down!!!) but you get the gist!

Haha. I don't get your obsession over guy's fingers, munianci...both of them look just fine to me. XD But I do prefer YH's face over Peter's (however Peter's body is >> YH's, lol).

Haha. I don't get your obsession over guy's fingers, munianci...both of them look just fine to me. XD But I do prefer YH's face over Peter's (however Peter's body is >> YH's, lol).
    LMAO!!! Oh dear, shall I corrupt another innocent mind? Mango, the size/length of a man's index finger correlates with the size of his eagle (it's more of an urban myth actually).
    Oh dear, I've already corrupted a lot of innocent minds in Peter's thread and I'm starting to do so here!

xiaolong, you think her minds innocent??? She made my statement to be something it's not!!! LOL

LMAO!!! Oh dear, shall I corrupt another innocent mind? Mango, the size/length of a man's index finger correlates with the size of his eagle (it's more of an urban myth actually).
    Oh dear, I've already corrupted a lot of innocent minds in Peter's thread and I'm starting to do so here!
    (Err. Yes. I know. Lol. But, like you mentioned, I think it's an urban myth. Although maybe not. Perhaps I should give this some thought...)

Ahem. Forget I said that! I don't know a thing, I'm totally innocent, la la la...

I don't care or worry about popularity of any drama. Somehow I think good critical reception is just as or even more important. Gong may be popular but it will never be a classic because it was critically panned and puked on, plus most people seem to have bad memories of it. Look at how fondly remembered the original HZGG was as well as Yongzheng Wang Chao.
    The only reason I care about popularity of any drama is because I'd hate to see the cast or crew disappointed. Otherwise, they don't really matter. ^^ Like you said, quality is way more important & I'd love to see BBJX join HZGG as one of my fave classics as well.

Speaking of which... HZZG is GOLD. I miss that show so sooo much. They had the best emperor and a wonderful cast. Some awkward acting. But still very well casted. ^^

To be honest I have no idea why Gong became that popular that fast. Although, that was the same with CP3 (which I thought was terrible but was also mega-popular...not to the same extent as Gong though I don't think? I'm not too sure about ratings comparisons between the two). I'm assuming it was mostly due to FSF/YM's real-life and onscreen chemistry because the rest of the series was barely watchable (and none of the other actors exploded into stardom).

As for the cast of BB...I haven't seen any of them act except for YH () and LSS so it's still a pretty "unknown" cast to me (especially since YH's role seems small ). Based on quality of script I'm sure BB "deserves" to be more popular than Gong, but who knows how these things work. At the very least though the main actors are sure to get a lot of exposure through BB.
    I think it's been said before but Gong was a total Meteor Garden ripoff which I honestly didn't like either. But it can still be an enjoyable watch if you don't get too analytical and just watch all the FengMi parts. It was the same for me in CP3. Mediocre script and mediocre acting. But I was able to just let it go since the cast was eye candy. I'm shallow like that.

BUT hopefully, I won't have to do that for BB. I'd love to truly enjoy a drama for once. The script should be pretty solid so long as Tangren doesn't make any big changes.