Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Life And Times of A Sentinel 《紫禁驚雷》

I have to say that TVB is chucking giant plot twists at us at ep 25 thinking it makes this series more interesting, but in fact, confuses the audiences and insults history. The ending is sure unpredictable but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the story and I fail to feel any pain or sorrow for the characters involved. I would have preferred if they dropped hints of the giant plot twist during the 25 eps rather than suddenly pop up at the end. Empress Dowager Xiao Zhuang's image is so butchered in here - I am not happy! Not happy!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I really am okay with artistic freedom, but the twist is so outrageous that none of the characters can recover from what happened.

The reaction in asianfanatics is very different from here. The majority like the ending twist The reaction in asianfanatics is very different from here. The majority like the ending twist very much.

http://asianfanatics.net/forum/topic/757298-ending/
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I feel it is the worst ending of the year in terms of execution. The plot actually had potential to be a grand series but the way the story was told and plot twists introduced was very rushed and unplanned. The production was lazy and undisciplined with all the plot holes that are appearing. I think the people at asianfanatics may belong to a different age group and thus have different expectations of an ancient series. The tieba forums think it is terrible.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to me, the acting is uninspiring because the cast is given no direction in how to express their character via the producers and directors. The acting is either manically over the top or like sleepwaking. The good veterans like Samuel Kwok, Helen Ma and KK Cheung have no problem as they are experienced and can delve their own role but younger talented ones like Steven and Power are restricted in their acting by how their character is pathetically written. Selena looks lost and Kenneth looks like a madman. Rainbow Cheng just glares and glares and glares. The sudden twist ending makes it even worse.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Even if Steven was proven as the 4th Prince (Crown Prince), the dust has settled and Kangxi has ruled for decades in peace. Why would the court agree to dethrone an emperor accepted by the public and doing a good job, and let some other unknown dude (Steven) get the throne? Was he even educated enough (Princes had to go through a long and vigorous education plan)? Even if he has the original chosen Crown prince, is it worth destabilising the roots of the Qing Empire and confusing the public? How can the Court be that petty? How on earth did they expect to explain it to the people?

Worse, they even tried to dethrone Kangxi for the out of control Fu Quan! Kangxi in here might be weak and decisive to us but to the public, he was Han welcoming and just. Who was Fu Quan or Lip Do Bo to them? Why do they want to accept them as the Emperor instead? TVB's plot is just illogical.

And since the plot twist, the ages of everyone is even more confusing. Especially, Selena and the 5th prince. Are they twins?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    There was a Lady Hui for Emperor Kangxi, and she was the mother of the First Prince and from humble Manchurian origins. But this is not the Lady Wai that is played by Grace in here. Her character is totally made up for a girl with Han origins can never be and Imperial Consort, not to mention aspiring Empress. I think she just looks weird and too modern with the heavy make up.
    This is so true. The scriptwriters really messed up. Empress must come from certain pedigree. How can Han girl become Empress?

And Grace Wong's acting is very bad.

I feelt sorry for Consort Wai's family. They really are innocent. Poor old man. He's actually a loyal and good minister. It's also ironic. It's Consort Wai that enable her family to rise and it's also Consort Wai who causes her family downfall.

I like twists. And artistic freedom is good. I never really agree with the idea that you should have tv teach you history; hence, I am not that offended that this rewrites/insults histroy. All that aside, the ending would sit better if the series does a better job to account for the age disparity. If Steven is who the ending said he is, then he should be about 2-3 years old when he was discovered by the Nip couple. But in the beginning, he was portrayed as an infant.

Plot hole aside, I do like the overarching theme that a person needs to "let go" to be free. Otherwise you will just let your desires and hatred drive you mad. Hence, I can see why Kenneth looks halfway crazy / delusional in most of the series.

Again, twists and artistic freedom makes tv series interesting but I thought this execution was really poor. Basically, no one in the court that day should be left alive if the dynasty were to continue undisturbed no matter how benevolent a king Kangxi was - and assuming he is not stupid.

Artistic freedom is good when everything fits in and flows (like ASTIP). This ending is illogical and disjointed. The ultimate secret actually leaked out to the streets in the end. How stupid is that? I agree with smurf120, everyone in court should have been either killed or imprisoned to protect such a secret. If the Empress Dowager can do so many things for the good if the Qing Dyansty, why did she not do it this time for such a big impact?

Can someone please explain to me Felix's feelings towards Steven is?
    There was all this emotion and tears when they reunited in ep 14 (look at the big hug, would you hug your boss liek that?) and then at Kei Man Cheung's death. I originally thought that it was good because it showed parental love. But then we find out that they were non-related and at most stayed with each other for a few months because 4th prince was still a baby when he was adopted by the Lips. So why all the emotion thirty years later? Is it that strong a connection for a servant to a master? I get Kei Do Ting's brotherly feelings for Emperor Shun Chi, but technically, Kei Man Cheung did it out of filial love for his father. TVB is confusing me! It seems like Steven remained in the infant stage for a long time.
    Cyril Connolly

Oh - so you have to click "Go Advanced" to get the spoiler tag and smilies! I'm an idiot!

Yes charbydis, people have died and had their entire families executed for more negligible reasons.

Kei Do Ting (emperor's guard) was also kind of an ******* for living with depressed wasting away emperor and NOT telling him that his favorite son was alive. Its like lets save that one in case we really really really get in trouble!

If I were Kei Man Cheung, I would get the hell away from all those people as soon as I saw Steven Ma - not flesh and blood and pretty ensures death to everybody around me.

Seeing how distant some of the acting became in the 2nd half, I'm feeling like they went in with one script then got the ending changed to be more dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The reaction in asianfanatics is very different from here. The majority like the ending twist The reaction in asianfanatics is very different from here. The majority like the ending twist very much.

http://asianfanatics.net/forum/topic/757298-ending/
    Yes, I read the reactions too. hmmmm I think the folks at AsianFanatics are definitely a different age group who have not experienced truly well executed court stories and sibling confrontations. Darn, I'm going to age myself!

For great wuxia stories - its the 80s Jin Yong adaptations
    Ancient drama - The Grand Canal
    Sibling confrontation - Where the Legend Begins (Steve Ma as Cho Chik reciting the brothers poem still stirs me)
    Palace intrigue - War and Beauty
    Twist endings - A Step into the Past - massively rewritten but well executed for what it ended up being

I might fire deviate and throw up blood if The Life and Times of a Sentinel ends up on someone's must see list like above in 10 years.

The ending is sure unpredictable but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the story and I fail to feel any pain or sorrow for the characters involved.
    The one that bothered me most was when Dor-Bo's father saw his son again and cried out of happiness. If he knew Dor-Bo wasn't his biological son anyway, why be so dramatic about it?

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Yes, I read the reactions too. hmmmm I think the folks at AsianFanatics are definitely a different age group who have not experienced truly well executed court stories and sibling confrontations. Darn, I'm going to age myself!

For great wuxia stories - its the 80s Jin Yong adaptations
    Ancient drama - The Grand Canal
    Sibling confrontation - Where the Legend Begins (Steve Ma as Cho Chik reciting the brothers poem still stirs me)
    Palace intrigue - War and Beauty
    Twist endings - A Step into the Past - massively rewritten but well executed for what it ended up being

I might fire deviate and throw up blood if The Life and Times of a Sentinel ends up on someone's must see list like above in 10 years.
    I agree about the age group difference. In general, I find the conversations at SPCNET more interesting and people's analysis of series more in-depth. Although there are more people at Asianfanatics, I hardly see an active discussion going on. Many people acting like fangirls there, which isn't my taste for discussion forums. But in recent years, I've noticed that there are less and less threads and people on SPCNET. Wonder where everyone went.

Me too! If this gets into the same category as War And Beayty, Dance of Passion, Rosy Business and No Regrets, I would lose my mind! :wikes:

The younger ones have not seen what is a truly suspenseful and solid series to judge the standard of series coming out nowadays. Shouting at 100 decibels does not good acting and good looking cast does not equal a well-written series. I can allow for plotholes in the storyline but the plot holes for "The Lives and Times of a Sentinel" are so obvious it is like stepping into quicksand and the story is unable to pick up after that.

It would have been much more acceptable if the twist had been that:
    The royal family orders all the ministers to clear the Great Hall and then only does Steven reveal his identity as the 4th princes. Then things can go on as planned, but after 2nd prince is tricked and goes crazy, it is revealed that it was a ruse and Steven is actually not the prince. He then leaves Beijing with Selena who is not his sister and does not get stabbed and they live happily ever after. The whole baby swapping thing is so unbelievable.

Seriously, I think the Kenneth and Natalie ending was copied from "Dance of Passion". It was not so touching the second time around. The whole love triangle was so draggy and unnecessary.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Liling View Post
    I agree about the age group difference. In general, I find the conversations at SPCNET more interesting and people's analysis of series more in-depth. Although there are more people at Asianfanatics, I hardly see an active discussion going on. Many people acting like fangirls there, which isn't my taste for discussion forums. But in recent years, I've noticed that there are less and less threads and people on SPCNET. Wonder where everyone went.
    Stay here then! I would love to discuss series with you!

I think everyone is getting busy in their real lives and having less time to visit the forums.
    Cyril Connolly

So I just wanted to comment that my opinions were politely lambasted over at Asian Fanatics forum because (I didn't bother posting my responses over there so they are here):

1) Kei Do Ting would have suffered terribly (or at the hands of another mole) if he revealed to Shun Zi about the fate of 4th prince which divided his loyalties between Queen and Emperor.

my response:
    which means A) KDT is stupid because his whole family got killed anyway or B) seemed more like the extra secret was insurance policy since he hired a student to watch over his family.

2. The attachment/emotion Kei Man Cheung showed was his excitement/happiness for seeing someone he knew, cared for, and treated like a son alive after 20+ years.

my response:
    KMC must be saint because he developed no bitterness in becoming essentially homeless, all family/friends/staff dispersed or killed, and mute. The more believable response is "thank god you're alive! okay now please never let me see you again! ever!" [goes to dad's grave, kowtow, "I've accomplished my mission. Let me die or live in peace."]

3. Kangxi would never kill or imprison the officials around him who heard the outburst because he is one of the most benevolent kings in history, to do so would be completely opposite of his character and make the people lose faith in him.

my response:
    Setting aside the fact that at this point of his life, Kangxi already killed Obei and did a dozen other things where I am sure involved killing people, per the story, his officials already lost faith in him for favoring the Hans. As if there is not already enough people plotting to take over him EVERYDAY if only to steal tax money.

Okay - sorry rant over....how can you argue plotholes when people clearly thought this was brilliant story?!

Kangxi killed alright in all the wars against Wu San Gui and the rebelling Mongolians. It was just not a massacre or inquisition that made it to the history books. A wise Emperor still kills, he uses doesn't do it personally, doesn't make a big fuss over it or uses a good reason so he appears benevolent. A soft hearted person cannot be a monarch - tough decisions need to be made. I am not saying Kangxi was cruel or sadistic, but when faced with the lifes of his ministers vs the survival of his empire, an Emperor will always choose to protect the bigger picture.

I seriously don't get why KDT did not reveal to Shun Zhi about his son still being alive. If he was a loyal and friendly to Shun Zhi as he said he was, why did he just watch in silence as Shun Zhi lost the will to live? Instead, he got his whole family ruined and got nothing in return. This blind loyalty drives me mad.

Smurf, don't worry about asianfanatics. They don't see things from our perspective. They believe what they want to believe even if the plot defies logic. Its like playing a zither to a cow.
    Cyril Connolly

2. The attachment/emotion Kei Man Cheung showed was his excitement/happiness for seeing someone he knew, cared for, and treated like a son alive after 20+ years.
    Why should Dor-Bo be someone Man Cheung cared for if they didn't even share that many memories together. Dor-Bo was only an infant when the two got separated and there could hardly be any real heart-to-heart bonding. Unless KMC liked living in denial that his son still exists and is alive.

KMC must be saint because he developed no bitterness in becoming essentially homeless, all family/friends/staff dispersed or killed, and mute.
    So, the Empress Dowager really didn't spare his family? I thought she spared them after Kei Man Cheung muted himself. But then, I saw Kei Man Cheung all alone in old age. I was confused but thought of watching further before I commented.

So I just wanted to comment that my opinions were politely lambasted over at Asian Fanatics forum because (I didn't bother posting my responses over there so they are here):

3. Kangxi would never kill or imprison the officials around him who heard the outburst because he is one of the most benevolent kings in history, to do so would be completely opposite of his character and make the people lose faith in him.
    Kangxi was a great Emperor. He's liberal, progressive and love chinese culture and art. But, was he specially benevolent in history?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-01-11 at 08:12 AM.

Kidd - Those comments were not mine - they were from the show defenders on Asian Fanatics. So much fan love and declarations that this show is most underrated of 2011. I hope this younger fan response won't produce more imitations.