Thread: You guys know this? TVB was actually sold back in January.

Default You guys know this? TVB was actually sold back in January.

According to this article back in January, TVB founder Run Run Shaw actually sold most of his shares in TVB to foreign investors.

I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    According to this article back in January, TVB founder Run Run Shaw actually sold most of his shares in TVB to foreign investors.

I had no idea.
    So what does that mean? And man, what kind of name is Run Run Shaw? Wow, he's 103 years old. Probably can't keep it and bring it with him to his grave. I mean, people like his age, want to enjoy what's left of life, not run a TVB company.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    So what does that mean? And man, what kind of name is Run Run Shaw? Wow, he's 103 years old. Probably can't keep it and bring it with him to his grave. I mean, people like his age, want to enjoy what's left of life, not run a TVB company.
    That's understandable, but still...he built TVB from the ground up, and it's been a part of his life for the past forty-four years (not quite half his life, but close to it). It probably has some sentimental value for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's understandable, but still...he built TVB from the ground up, and it's been a part of his life for the past forty-four years (not quite half his life, but close to it). It probably has some sentimental value for him.
    Doesn't he have children, grandchildren or even great grandchildren who can inherit TVB? But really, what are the scriptwriters and directors of TVB doing with TVB? Not doing a good job churning out good tv serials for a long while now.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Doesn't he have children, grandchildren or even great grandchildren who can inherit TVB? But really, what are the scriptwriters and directors of TVB doing with TVB? Not doing a good job churning out good tv serials for a long while now.
    I think Run Run Shaw has descendants (plenty of them, probably), but the article states that Shaw sold the business partially to defuse potential family strife over ownership of the company.

He might have finally sold the company this year, but I have a feeling that he probably hasn't done any hands-on management of the company in decades.

Before TVB, Shaw was one of the Shaw Brothers whose studios made all those films during the 1950s - 1980s.

I know this already back in January.

Ken is right. Run Run Shaw has not been hands on for years already. It was run by Mona Fong. But, now Sir Run Run has sold TVB. So, Mona Fong is more focus on movies. The management people in TVB still the same so far. I notice that TVB series has been more 'daring' lately. Lots of heavy kissing and make out scenes.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Let's just say we are gonna see lotsa HTC smartphones endorsement in TVB series from now on.. .the ladyboss from Taiwan is one of the major stakeholder now.

According to what I heard, the two new bosses have no intention to interfere with TVB programming, they still let Sir Run Run Shaw and his wife sit on the board.

It does perhaps explain the reason that TVB's DVD releases have ground to a halt during the past year.

I'm pretty sure we'll see some major changes eventually. Since the company was sold, there hasn't been much movement. The new shareholders probably want to calm things down first, but I'm pretty sure Mona Fong will eventually get axed.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I knew about this awhile back. They have been trying to sell since last year. Run Run Shaw is married to Mona Fong. She is the person who ran Shaw Bros to the ground and when she took over TVB, she ran that to the ground as well. I knew someone who was a vendor that sold goods to TVB and he said that Mona Fong was a cheap witch. She basically told the prop guys to keep the bent nails when they dismantle something to straighten and reuse. How cheap is that?!?!

Mona is the one who brought in Stephen Chan and that Dragon Lady (the name escapes me but she keeps on foisting her "pets" Kate Tsui, Myolie Wu at us - it ain't gonna happen lady, please stop).

There were stories that Mona's pet was Wong Hei and Run Run Shaw's was Michelle Yeh (Yip Xuen). When Shaw took a reduced role, Mona ran Michelle off the lot.

Shaw has a couple of sons. They are involved in business in Malaysia or Singapore.