Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Idy Chan (陳玉蓮)

I like her she the best Xiao Long Nu ever so pretty.

Holy cow, I'm recording The Grand Canal right now, and jesus, they laid a layer of 3 inches of make-up on Idy. A bit too much there. She looks more like she's doing Chinese Opera than an ancient martial-arts show.

But the new release DVD version of this series is so nice and cleaned up. I've never seen this show so it's pretty neat to see such an A-class cast through out the entire show. Even the 3rd and 4th supporting actors back then were genuine, true actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    IN the Wild Bunch ( 13 bodyguards), Idy played a princess.. not a mother. I think it was her first lead role
    I didn't say she played a mother in 13 bodyguards. I said she played a mother in "Siu Dou Feng Wen". If you read more carefully, I mentioned 2 shows in that one post.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisrocks
    Holy cow, I'm recording The Grand Canal right now, and jesus, they laid a layer of 3 inches of make-up on Idy. A bit too much there. She looks more like she's doing Chinese Opera than an ancient martial-arts show.

But the new release DVD version of this series is so nice and cleaned up. I've never seen this show so it's pretty neat to see such an A-class cast through out the entire show. Even the 3rd and 4th supporting actors back then were genuine, true actors.
    Hi Tennis,

you are also watching Shen diao 83? so am I. I am enjoying it though its biggest drawback is that its so dated. I think the best thing about Idy's XLN is that she shows enough affection towards YG.

LYF was a very sweet looking and the best-looker but looks too young (younger than 18 I mean), too stiff in her portrayal as XLN and did not show much affection towards YG. I find LYF's portrayal of XLN too controlled in her expression of affection towards YG, it was very artificial to me.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Hi Tennis,

you are also watching Shen diao 83? so am I. I am enjoying it though its biggest drawback is that its so dated. I think the best thing about Idy's XLN is that she shows enough affection towards YG.

LYF was a very sweet looking and the best-looker but looks too young (younger than 18 I mean), too stiff in her portrayal as XLN and did not show much affection towards YG. I find LYF's portrayal of XLN too controlled in her expression of affection towards YG, it was very artificial to me.
    Gotta agree with ya. As much as I enjoyed LYF's rendition of XLN. I must say that there was definitely much more chemistry between Idy and Andy back then. It is a pity that all the background scenes in '83 was so lame. But what can ya do.

Wow, I only realized that back then when they filmed The Grand Canal they dragged the entire production crew and cast over to Shanghai PuDong for filming. And I was like HOLY, I was just there a few weeks ago and all that empty areas are now congested with skyscrappers, hotels, and apartments. What a difference 19 years make huh!

Gotta agree with ya. As much as I enjoyed LYF's rendition of XLN. I must say that there was definitely much more chemistry between Idy and Andy back then. It is a pity that all the background scenes in '83 was so lame. But what can ya do.

Wow, I only realized that back then when they filmed The Grand Canal they dragged the entire production crew and cast over to Shanghai PuDong for filming. And I was like HOLY, I was just there a few weeks ago and all that empty areas are now congested with skyscrappers, hotels, and apartments. What a difference 19 years make huh!
    Yah..it was indeed a pity. Did you manage to get the HXM mag? you were at Shanghai? There are so many serials filming there now and so many celebrities there as well including HXM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Yah..it was indeed a pity. Did you manage to get the HXM mag? you were at Shanghai? There are so many serials filming there now and so many celebrities there as well including HXM.
    Unfortunately, no. I didn't even have time to stop by a magazine stand or a bookstore. Our schedule in Shanghai was so tight. At a certain time we had to attend this event and that ceremony that there was little to no time left for personal leisure downtime. Shanghai is so new and developed, they put my New York City subway systems to shame. The supermarkets there are larger than the supermarkets in the U.S. That's impressive. Driving there is crazy though. Pedestrians having the right of way when's it's green light mean nothing to drivers and bike riders.

And I saw the Eastern Pearl statue that is so prevalent in so many modern series filmed there.
    Last edited by tennisrocks; 06-21-06 at 10:58 AM.

i'm not a fan of roch at all, but watching idy play xln (a char who i detest and find utterly boring) makes one appreciate good acting, which cannot be said for the current xln.

thick makeup was the norm back then as the camera quality was not the best as well...however, if you ignore the make up and focus on the STORYLINE and ACTING then you will see that overhyped remakes of jy series today pale in comparison to the classics (xajh is not overhyped and deserve it's praises).

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    i'm not a fan of roch at all, but watching idy play xln (a char who i detest and find utterly boring) makes one appreciate good acting, which cannot be said for the current xln.

thick makeup was the norm back then as the camera quality was not the best as well...however, if you ignore the make up and focus on the STORYLINE and ACTING then you will see that overhyped remakes of jy series today pale in comparison to the classics (xajh is not overhyped and deserve it's praises).
    That is so very true.

Unfortunately, no. I didn't even have time to stop by a magazine stand or a bookstore. Our schedule in Shanghai was so tight. At a certain time we had to attend this event and that ceremony that there was little to no time left for personal leisure downtime. Shanghai is so new and developed, they put my New York City subway systems to shame. The supermarkets there are larger than the supermarkets in the U.S. That's impressive. Driving there is crazy though. Pedestrians having the right of way when's it's green light mean nothing to drivers and bike riders.

And I saw the Eastern Pearl statue that is so prevalent in so many modern series filmed there.
    It can't be helped then...Did u go to Xin tian di?

I didn't say she played a mother in 13 bodyguards. I said she played a mother in "Siu Dou Feng Wen". If you read more carefully, I mentioned 2 shows in that one post.

me bad.

I dont' think her makeup looked ethat bad in Grand Canal.. ok i was admiring her costumes instead
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

For your rremarks about XAJH I give you a big hug.
    The peeps in TVB forum and a certain mod totally hates it and loves the TVB version of a wooden blockhead Jackie Liu as being the best LHC. No idea why

i liked jackie's interpretation...it was more accurate than lyp who was a bit too sullen for the role. not only that but spw/sod/xajh 96 (tvb's) version was more accurate. but when it comes to overall quality, xajh was great and better even though ryy was introduced too early...

and for your remark about loving gyy and being a crazy fanboy, you deserve a big fat hug too!
    Last edited by patricia n; 06-21-06 at 03:40 PM.

I found Jackie very wooden. And the RYY is so plain compared to Xu Jing's more animated version. XJ is really beautiful and her face is full of emotions.

btw, I'm a fanboy but not crazy. Lost those emotional hormones as I grew older.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    I found Jackie very wooden. And the RYY is so plain compared to Xu Jing's more animated version. XJ is really beautiful and her face is full of emotions.
    yeah, i didn't like fiona leung as ryy even though i liked fiona in rage and passion a lot.

let's get back to idy though...to be fair. have you seen the grand canal? she was superb in that series, but the person who stole the scene for me was margie tsang...she's so cute even though she had very little screen time. margie and sean made the best couple.

but tony and idy's chemistry was great too...totally rooting for this couple the entire time (though i'm a bigger sean-margie fan). great storyline too...now i want to rewatch it.

Please Pat, I "money no enough" to go buying everything up

***digging through my own pockets and every purse frantically*** i have no money! and here i am trying to save money for the new bxj and for house (american tv series) and revelation of the last heroes and so many more (including final combat and road for the heroes if they ever come out in vn).

OMG!! You Vietnamese? Good English.
    /me stereotyping

***digging through my own pockets and every purse frantically*** i have no money! and here i am trying to save money for the new bxj and for house (american tv series) and revelation of the last heroes and so many more (including final combat and road for the heroes if they ever come out in vn).

Off topic - Hey Patricia, has Revelation been released on dvd already? Are you referring to the Viet dubbed or Chinese version? Cause I've been waiting ages for the release in Viet dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365
    Off topic - Hey Patricia, has Revelation been released on dvd already? Are you referring to the Viet dubbed or Chinese version? Cause I've been waiting ages for the release in Viet dubbed.
    it's been released already...you're vn too? wow. you can find "revelation of the last hero" viet dub on ebay...but i'm not sure if it's an official release or someone converted it. i'm planning to buy it when i have money. look up "vo anh kim dao." it's about $20-30 USD.

surf-i'm sending you a cyber slap to your face and a kick to your *you know where* for making that awful stereotype. hmph!