Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

I thought most of his fans wanted him to play LHC haha. I guess he so wanted to play LHC and turned down the great JY in DMY. Urgh, he should have totally skipped this one, but he couldn't resist LHC and now that's a blemish on his series list.

Weird how the role LHC turned Jackie into a sensation back in 1996 and people STILL remember him for that role. And now Wallace is being criticized to no end.

Maybe the standards were set a little too high for Wallace. Very hard to top or even match what Jackie did with that character.

Even during some of the pre-screening press conferences, people were talking about Jackie's portrayal of the character.

The same treatment is applied onto Howie Huang (Yue Buqun)

Wong Wai's portrayal of Yue Buqun was LEGENDARY. I don't think anyone is going to top that man acting as YBQ. The man had the looks, the attitude, the spirit of YBQ. It was a complete package.
    Last edited by Mobyz; 03-04-13 at 03:50 AM.

Poor Wallace, cast in such a down series. Blame it on the poor directing and lame producer.
    I agree he should of never turned down DMY.....

Excuse me for asking, but what's DMY?

DMY is Da Mo Yao its another series starring Hu Ge, Liu Shi Shi and Eddie Peng. There's a thread on it if you want more info

I wouldn't go so far as to say they stole it. One of the producers of the TV series, Perfect World Pictures, was formerly a subsidiary of Perfect World Entertainment, the makers of the upcoming Swordsman Online game. A few years ago, Perfect World announced a deal where they were going to make XAJH into a feature film and it was going to be directed Yuen Woo Ping, with Takeshi Kaneshiro rumored to be LWC. I guess the deal didn't work out and they decided to make a TV series instead. The similarities are probably due to them wanting to use the TV series to promote the new video game, which had been delayed for a few years. Perhaps this version of XAJH was not supposed to be an adaption of the original book, but an adaption of the video game.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/yue...-new-swordsman

DMY is Da Mo Yao - a novel written by Tong Hua. Wallace was offered for the role of Jue Yue, the other leading man. If Tangren follows faithfully to the novel, it might be one of Wallace's best character. I read the novel, and I really love the story & both leading men. JY's character is quite memorable. His character is just so loving but so complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Faythe View Post
    DMY is Da Mo Yao - a novel written by Tong Hua. Wallace was offered for the role of Jue Yue, the other leading man. If Tangren follows faithfully to the novel, it might be one of Wallace's best character. I read the novel, and I really love the story & both leading men. JY's character is quite memorable. His character is just so loving but so complex.
    Well, we can't blame Wallace for choosing a legendary wuxia character like LHC in a series that will guarantee high ratings. Based on the novel characterization alone, any actor would have chosen LHC over Jie Ye. It's the script which killed LHC's character in this adaptation.
    I ship Shi-Harem

True, I agree. But who knew that this version of LHC would rain on his career. Comparing the character of JY & this version of LHC, there is just no contest as to which one I favor.

One thing I don't like about the general LHC's character is that he's too blind to his master's intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Faythe View Post
    One thing I don't like about the general LHC's character is that he's too blind to his master's intentions.
    His master is supposed to represent hipocrisy...it would defeat this meaning if LHC knew of his intentions. His master was know as an honorable person among the sects.

ANYONE....once you finish watching the final episode...please post the ending on here so that my heart can rest in peace.

Just saw final episode. RYY is saved by DFBB's heart. No one knows about her sacrifice... RYY is usually afraid of the cold, but she insisted that they go play XAJH at the lake. She starts to cry and see images of DFBB kissing LHC for the last time. LHC tells her they should leave. They happily hug each other. DFBB at bottom of freezing lake open her eyes and smiles... It is assumed she can now die peacefully, with no regrets, knowing her most beloved is safe and happy....
    Last edited by szfong; 03-04-13 at 08:08 AM.

S**T!! as expected.. WTF crap ending!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lnsesan View Post
    ANYONE....once you finish watching the final episode...please post the ending on here so that my heart can rest in peace.
    LOL.. I don't know if you the one who rest in peace or DFBB just kidding.. I think the one would be that bastard Yu Zheng!! RIP and LEAVE wuxia world, or I will push him Go To Piggy World!! Nah Now my mind can move on from this nasty SWORDman.. the ONLY memorable thing I could remember just the multidimensional DFBB, with Joe stand out performance.
    Last edited by dramalala; 03-04-13 at 08:55 AM.

Ugh... what a depressing and disappointing end.

That's the crappiest ending ever! I wish someone would kill YZ's career so that he will no longer destroy masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Just saw final episode. RYY is saved by DFBB's heart. No one knows about her sacrifice... RYY is usually afraid of the cold, but she insisted that they go play XAJH at the lake. She starts to cry and see images of DFBB kissing LHC for the last time. LHC tells her they should leave. They happily hug each other. DFBB at bottom of freezing lake open her eyes and smiles... It is assumed she can now die peacefully, with no regrets, knowing her most beloved is safe and happy....
    Where in the world does this ending satisfy chongdong and chongying fans?! So bad, so bad, i dont even want to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    Where in the world does this ending satisfy chongdong and chongying fans?! So bad, so bad, i dont even want to watch it.
    Why would Chongying fans not be satisfy? she basically got the man while not having to do anything or having to put out for LHC. She simply picked the "dead chicken" or the chinese saying goes "As a snipe and a clam are entangled in a fight, a fisherman catch them both." She is the only one that benefits from it all in the series. Sugardaddy YZ obviously didnt want to work her too hard in this series and just told her to sit there and smile all day long. God this is the worse ending of the century !!!!

Since RYY was poisoned, near the end, what happened to her grayish looking fingers which the 1996 version showed. Guess YSS must look "pretty" with makup on camera at all times. Since RYY needs a heart that can resist the 3 corpse bug, but DFBB can use anyone's heart, why doesn't Dr. Ping grab anyone off the streets and give it to DFBB, thus saving her.

RYY once asked her father to keep and not destroy DFBB's beautiful room on Darkwood Cliff... They said they were gonna spend their free time there.

In the conclusion, instead, they takeover the 4 playfellow's mansion DFBB gave them as prison guards for RWX.

In the conclusion, LHC and RYY is using the same ancient zither+table+chair and jade flute that once belonged to the eldest playfellow. RYY and father pretty much killed all 4 of the playfellows.

This series is kinda eerie in that DFBB, LHC, RYY and LPZ ALL 4 of them now lives in the former residence of the now deceased 4 playfellows.

1. DFBB resides in the backyard, below the lake, now frozen during winter--as a now at peace corpse/spirit
    2. LPZ resides in the dungeon in a wheelchair that was once RWX's cell
    3. LHC resides at the mansion itself, practicing music and swordplay
    4. RYY also resides in the mansion--being the perfect wife.
    Last edited by szfong; 03-04-13 at 11:54 AM.