Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Four 《新少年四大名捕》 - Zhang Han, Yang Yang, William Chen, Mao Zi Jun

The only version I watched was TVB's version. Really enjoyed that one. I thought the majority of the cast was great, including the female cast. I liked how the females had their own storylines that contributed to the four's character development. Also, I have a weak spot for Kenneth-Selena pairing. =]

I'm really watching this as a 'Romance of the Four Constables' type of thing. If you expect it to be anything else you'll be extremely disappointed. There are a lot of flaws and inconsistencies that don't make sense, and the storyline seems choppy. The females can get annoying (i.e. the princess...and Gui Gui being all weird and overly clingy), but Janine Chang is really enjoyable. I looooove William Chan in here; he's so spunky and adorable. I feel bad for how devoted he is to his princess, but I enjoy every scene he's in.

Also, no drama is free from females backstabbing each other. -______- They somehow managed to sneak that one in too. Really annoying.

Other thoughts:
    Mickey He's character freaks the heck out of me, and I don't know if this means he's doing a good job. It's really strange watching a man with white hair and bad eyeshadow/blush crazily mourning his dead love for like five minutes with background music. So draggy.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    There was a version with Nicky Wu? Is that the one with Wallace Cheung? If it is, then I couldnt find it with eng subs, so I havent watch it. Several weeks ago, I watched the one with Peter Ho (Zhui Ming) and Nie Yuan (Wu Qing). The first part was watchable, but the second one didnt interest me so I jumped to the several last episodes. That one also focused more on romance and drama. Plus, they sometimes got too creative with Wu Qing's wheelchair, like it had the ability to be invisible .
    The Nicky Wu/ Fan Bing Bing version is called Musketeer and Princess. Honestly, i thought that it was a bad series. Here's a review from SPCNET:
    https://www.spcnet.tv/Chinese-TV-Ser...iew-r1546.html

Quote Originally Posted by happyswallow View Post
    The only version I watched was TVB's version. Really enjoyed that one. I thought the majority of the cast was great, including the female cast. I liked how the females had their own storylines that contributed to the four's character development. Also, I have a weak spot for Kenneth-Selena pairing. =]
    Me too. My fave character is Raymond as Wu Qing, but may fave pairing is Kenneth-Selena. Kenneth is mature and calm, while Selena is rather fussy and loud. They are fun to watch

I'm really watching this as a 'Romance of the Four Constables' type of thing. If you expect it to be anything else you'll be extremely disappointed. There are a lot of flaws and inconsistencies that don't make sense, and the storyline seems choppy. The females can get annoying (i.e. the princess...and Gui Gui being all weird and overly clingy), but Janine Chang is really enjoyable. I looooove William Chan in here; he's so spunky and adorable. I feel bad for how devoted he is to his princess, but I enjoy every scene he's in.

Also, no drama is free from females backstabbing each other. -______- They somehow managed to sneak that one in too. Really annoying.
    Hmmm..several people had said this, plus I've predicted it myself. So I guess, I should watch this for the pretty people. I'll just wait for Wu Qing's part, since I'm really not interested to watch LX and his romance. Plus I always like a hero who fights with a fan, looks cool.

Other thoughts:
    Mickey He's character freaks the heck out of me, and I don't know if this means he's doing a good job. It's really strange watching a man with white hair and bad eyeshadow/blush crazily mourning his dead love for like five minutes with background music. So draggy.
    Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by kimster View Post
    The Nicky Wu/ Fan Bing Bing version is called Musketeer and Princess. Honestly, i thought that it was a bad series. Here's a review from SPCNET:
    https://www.spcnet.tv/Chinese-TV-Ser...iew-r1546.html
    Thanks
    I quick watched this on the internet..Yeah, it doesnt looked interesting

Does anyone know how many episodes are shown per week? Getting impatient to know about the romances! Don't really feel this is a detective show cos right from the start they established the baddie so the audience knows who's the mastermind already...theres no mystery. Micky He is just plain weird in this show or perhaps he played his role too well as in showing a guy gone crazy after losing the love of his life? Anyway think he would be excellent in a eunuch role...

Me too. My fave character is Raymond as Wu Qing, but may fave pairing is Kenneth-Selena. Kenneth is mature and calm, while Selena is rather fussy and loud. They are fun to watch

Hmmm..several people had said this, plus I've predicted it myself. So I guess, I should watch this for the pretty people. I'll just wait for Wu Qing's part, since I'm really not interested to watch LX and his romance. Plus I always like a hero who fights with a fan, looks cool.

Lol...

love the tvb version as well~ I'm more of a fan of dramas with a balance of action and romance rather than dramas which have romance as the main plot. Although i love 张翰 this version bored me D: Love kenneth-Selena pairing as well

I stopped watching after episode 24 or so. Can't remember, LOL. Too bad, because I like some of the actors (Yang Yang, William Chang, Jia Qing).

I might continue at one point, but at the moment the story bored me, especially when it focuses a little too much on the romance parts. I enjoy romantic arcs in general, but to be very honest the pairings here don't interest me. So I just read recaps in blogs and other forums (the Soompi forum in quite active for this drama, particularly for the romance between Coldblood and Chu Li Mo. Most of the conversations are about when the lead actors will kiss LOL). I found myself enjoying the recaps more, since often they're snarky and hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    I stopped watching after episode 24 or so. Can't remember, LOL. Too bad, because I like some of the actors (Yang Yang, William Chang, Jia Qing).

I might continue at one point, but at the moment the story bored me, especially when it focuses a little too much on the romance parts. I enjoy romantic arcs in general, but to be very honest the pairings here don't interest me. So I just read recaps in blogs and other forums (the Soompi forum in quite active for this drama, particularly for the romance between Coldblood and Chu Li Mo. Most of the conversations are about when the lead actors will kiss LOL). I found myself enjoying the recaps more, since often they're snarky and hilarious
    Yeah, they always talk about when the leads are going to kiss in soompi, no mater what genre a movie is.

Regarding the Four, I myself still watch this randomly..because there is some plot that I still want to continue watching (mainly because I wanna know whether they're going to let WuQing standing or become paralyzed). Actually I like some actors/actresses here like Jia Qing and William Chang, but I also got bored with the story. Perhaps because the story is love and love and all cliche things about love .

Quote Originally Posted by starryblue View Post
    love the tvb version as well~ I'm more of a fan of dramas with a balance of action and romance rather than dramas which have romance as the main plot. Although i love 张翰 this version bored me D: Love kenneth-Selena pairing as well
    Me too , I also prefer a balance of action and romance than dramas with romance as the main plot. Regarding tvb's the Four, perhaps I'm gonna rewatch that version again someday . I've been rewatching old dramas lately and they are all still enjoyable.

Default Si Da Ming Bu or Ridiculous Love stories in Ancient China

OMG 48 episodes for that? That's how Chinese make TV show? The whole story could've been done in a 2-hour or 3-hour movie and it would be a great movie. But that? I came to the show with the memory of the trilogy movie because the story of the Four makes me like this kind of adventures in ancient China, mixing detective story, love story and fantastic with a little part of scifi. I don't know about the novel but this series is anything but SiDaMingBu!
    In this show I found the four detectives incompetent. All they can do is getting into ridiculous romance with female characters. And to show us those awful love stories, the writers need 48 episodes. In America, this show would've been canceled after 5 episodes!

I agree haha~ the older tvb wuxia dramas were so good (haven't watched any new ones) like lethal weapons of love and passion and the four ~ Mainland wuxia dramas are so bad since they focus on romance too much that there ends up being a weak plot. Unless Jinyong adaptions of course :3 those are good i like chinese paladin 3 but not sure whether that counts as wuxia :OO

Me too , I also prefer a balance of action and romance than dramas with romance as the main plot. Regarding tvb's the Four, perhaps I'm gonna rewatch that version again someday . I've been rewatching old dramas lately and they are all still enjoyable.

Just caught a few episodes of this...Can't stand anyone, I'm not a purist by any means, I was totally ok with the movie version making Emotionless a girl but still couldn't stomach this show. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of any of the actors/actress.

The original The Four back in the 70's is still my favourite, and I watched that early 2000's.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze