Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do readers judge Yue Buqun too harshly?

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    If all he did was crave power for himself and stop at nothing to get it, then sure he has no redeeming qualities. But if he just wanted to preserve Huashan and propel it to one of the top Sects, I think that is a somewhat humane act since he is caring for an entity beyond himself.
    I think the former is strongly suggested by the novel, since he approved of the merger (thereby dissolving Huashan as an independent entity), then promptly snatched the leadership for himself from Zuo Lengchan. The dissolution of Huashan was one of his wife's main objections against cooperating with ZLC (during the snowman scene), but he went ahead and did it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    It's because Cheng Kun had more ability than Yue Buqun which was small fry. Yue Buqun aspired to be a major player, Cheng Kun was a major player and one of the main puppet masters of HSDS.

Look at HYS, he crippled his students. But he's still widely admired, more so than say WCY who worked for the greater good more so than HYS and cared for and loved his students.
    I think it is unfair to critic HYS. Haven't we all done things in fits of anger? He crippled his students in a fit of anger and all of them still loved and respected him deeply. That alone goes to show that HYS was a loving teacher and cared for his disciples. You cannot say that the students were just blindly loyal as how do you account for 5 people having just blind loyalty? Especially not MCF, considering she ran away. She was loyal to HYS, but it wasn't blind loyalty. HYS also did try to make amends.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    I think it is unfair to critic HYS. Haven't we all done things in fits of anger? He crippled his students in a fit of anger and all of them still loved and respected him deeply. That alone goes to show that HYS was a loving teacher and cared for his disciples. You cannot say that the students were just blindly loyal as how do you account for 5 people having just blind loyalty? Especially not MCF, considering she ran away. She was loyal to HYS, but it wasn't blind loyalty. HYS also did try to make amends.
    It was after Ke Zhen E had finished with her.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    It was after Ke Zhen E had finished with her.
    I'm sorry, I don't get this?

I'm sorry, I don't get this?
    Ke Zhen E blinded her with poison darts. So if it was loyalty before, he turned it into blind loyalty.

Sorry, couldn't resist it given the character you're talking about.

But that's how the wulin code goes. Your life belongs to your teacher. Just like how LHC was loyal to YBQ until near the very end even when it was obvious YBQ was evil and backstabbed him.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    But that's how the wulin code goes. Your life belongs to your teacher. Just like how LHC was loyal to YBQ until near the very end even when it was obvious YBQ was evil and backstabbed him.
    If you want my opinion, LHC suspected/guessed that YBQ was evil. But because YBQ was like a father to him, he refused to believe so until it was undeniable.