Thread: Favorite character in A Step into the Past by Huang Yi?

Default Favorite character in A Step into the Past by Huang Yi?

I wanted to shout out to our long running (going on 6 years?) translation of "A Step Into the Past" by our various wonderful translators in the Translation Forum.

For me, there is no doubt the main character Xiang Shaolong is the best and most interesting character of the story. For the last two years, he has graduated to my favorite male wuxia character of all time which is saying something because I am stacking him against Guo Jing, Linghu Chong, ZWJ, WXB, Xiao Yu'er, Chor Lau Heung...

He does not have any fantastic supernatural martial arts to rely on, only superior 21st century tactical knowledge and advanced (for the Qin period) weaponry. He is neither shy or reticent about showing feelings for the women he wants (romantically or simply to bed). XSL has to train to become one of the best in martial arts but equally has to hone his political and speaking skills at the court.

Ok, support u!
    But I still like Zhang Wuji..... Hehe

Zhang Wuji was fickle (double?) minded most of the time.

For the male, give me Guo Jing any time - dumb, straight but always faithful and good hearted. For the female, give me Huang Rong...intelligent, witty and faithful... (but not the Huang Rong of the Return of the Condor - smart but not that brilliant)

As I have grown in age, I find that I don't like how Jin Yong never allows his female characters an "out". No matter their achievements in career or intelligence, they hold a torch for the main character FOREVER and never allow themselves to be happy. Huang Yi characters are slightly promiscuous but they are strong willed and constantly oriented to the big picture of defending their homeland or loved ones. He also allows his protagonists to feel vengeful, impulsive, and selfish to a degree.