Thread: Help in finding a series

Default Help in finding a series

Hello everyone. I am not one who does a lot of posting to forums, but I love wuxia and am hoping I can find a series I watched a year ago. I am desperate to find it as I came across it quiet by accident. What I remember is the story started with the main character as a young boy under the care of another family. The family I believe was caring for him in order to gain from him eventually. Something brings the kid into a situation where he escapes into a small mountain cave. The other side is a lost valley where he stays and grows. He encounters I think a giant white bear with a wounded paw. This bear also has a martial arts manual inside him that becomes the basis for the main characters strong ability. I am foggy on anything else from the series and I cross my fingers that some one here may be able to help me.

I am not sure if it is a mainland chinese series or not, just to say.

Thanks for you help.

For sure the scene is from the drama "The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber" a wuxia novel by Jin Yong. There is many, many adaption of it into drama so im not sure which one you watch. I'm going to list them and these are the ones I know by heart since there are many adaptions out there.

Year: 1986 TVB (Hong Kong)
    Starring: Tony Leung, Kitty Lai, Sheren Tang, Maggie Shiu, Carol Cheng, Simon Yam, Kenneth Tsang

Year: 1993 TTV (Taiwan)
    Starring: Steve Ma, Cecilia Yip, Kathy Chow

Year: 2000 TVB (Hong Kong)

Starring: Lawrence Ng, Gigi Lai, Charmaine Sheh, Eddie Cheung, Joyce Tang, Damian Lau, Michelle Yim

Year: 2003 Beijing Asia Central Audio Productions Ltd. (Co-production)
    Starring: Alec Su, Alyssa Chia, Gao Yuanyuan, Florence Tan, Phyllis Quek, Zhang Guoli, Zhang Tielin, Elvis Tsui, Wang Gang, Chen Zihan, Tao Hong

RECENT:

Year: 2009 Huayi Brothers Media Corporation Beijing Cathay Media Ltd. (Mainland China)
    Starring: Deng Chao, An Yixuan, Liu Jing, He Zhuoyan, Zhang Meng, Ken Chang, Wang Yuanke, Yu Chenghui

I'm guessing you might have watched the 2009 one since its the most recent

Thanks Fairytale_Angel, unfortunately that is not the one. In fact my love of these wuxia dramas started with Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Demi Gods Semi Devils. Followed by State of Divinity, Water Margin, Sword Stained With Royal Blood and so many more. Essentially I became an addict lol.

I wish I could recall more besides the main character being in a lost valley. I think he spent time in the valley at first before coming out shortly at which time he was still a young teen. He ended up poisoned or injured and returned to the valley. The bear he helped in his first visit met him again and allowed his sacrifice to reveal the martial arts book hidden in his stomach. He had a monkey friend in the valley. He learned from the manual the skills to cure his wound and gain the foundation for his journey to become the hero afterwards.
    I really wish I could remember more, but that is all I got. Maybe I will have to hope that chance brings me to the series again in the future.

Hello, Fairytale_Angel is correct. The series is called "Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre" (a.k.a 倚天屠龙记 yǐ tiān tú lóng jì). Please take a look at episode 11 and you will see the scene you have described. I love this TV series too so I instantly knew which one you were describing. The Youtube link below is of the 2009 version. Enjoy!