Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Chapter 17: The cold aura of a sword

Part 5

The wind grew colder.

The distant mountains were cold, the dark grave was cold. The men stood in the cold wind, but in their hearts were filled with hot blood.

This hot blood would never grow cold.

Because the world has people like this whose blood will never grow cold, we should never have fear in our hearts, because as long as people like this exist, then righteousness will also exist.

This point must be emphasized, because this is the essence of spirit.

Dusk grew deeper.

Standing there in the twilight, Sima Chaoqun and Zhu Meng had become two indistinct shadows.

But in the eyes of the men, their blood boiling, these two shadows were more brilliant, greater and stronger than anyone else in the world.

Because theirs was not a struggle of life and death, of honor and glory, of victory and defeat.

They gave no regard for the life and death, the glory and honor that others in the world could never abandon. They were simply doing something that they believed must be done.

It was because of their principles of conduct.

Heads can be lopped off, blood can be spilled, riches and honor and glory can be discarded like old shoes. But principles can never be discarded.

—Isn’t it true that some people will say they are too foolish to act in this way?

—What kind of person would say such a thing?
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Thanks for the short one...

Thanks deathblade

Thanks, deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Part 6

Zhu Meng stood respectfully, facing off against Sima Chaoqun. Life and death would be determined in the blink of an eye.

Strangely, the spirit that had dissipated the rage between the two of them was not revenge, but uprightness.

Zhu Meng suddenly asked, “For nearly ten years, you have never been defeated, have never met your match. The weapon you use to deal with your enemies is a Thousand Hammers Great Iron Sword, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Then where is your sword?”

“My sword isn’t here, but I am,” said Sima Chaoqun. “You’re here to battle me, not my sword. As long as I’m here, it’s good enough.”

“You came to a struggle of life and death, victory and defeat. Why wouldn’t you bring your sword?”

“Because my bare hands are enough to slay a lion.”

Zhu Meng slowly wrapped his belt back around his waist, leaving him with two empty hands.

“I’ve roamed Jianghu my whole life,” he said. “I love to exact vengeance. Who knows how many faithless, immoral, dishonest, impudent villains I’ve assassinated with my blade? When I kill people, I usually use a Great Sweeper Blade.”

“Where is it?”

“Here,” said Zhu Meng. “My blade is here.”

He stretched out his hands, and someone brought forth his Great Sweeper Blade, a weapon which could retrieve the head of an enemy from within an army of tens of thousands.

“It’s a good blade,” said Sima Chaoqun. “A killing blade.”

“It is a good killing blade,” said Zhu Meng, caressing the sharp edge. “But this blade has always killed villains, not heroes.”

The blade was in his hands.

His left hand gripped the hilt, his right hand began to twist the edge. A clashing sound rang out. The blade was still in his hand, but now it was now in two pieces.

The broken blade became a flying rainbow. It flew off into the deep, dark, dusk. It flew until it was nowhere to be seen.

Zhu Meng’s voice was hoarse, so much so that it seemed he could barely talk. But his bravery had not gone anywhere. “If Sima Chaoqun can use his bare hands to slay a lion, can’t Zhu Meng give it a try as well?”

His hands clenched into fists, fists of iron. Sima Chaqun’s fists of iron were as sharp as blades.

“You’ve traveled far, and you are the guest,” said Sima. “I won’t force you, but you should really be the first to make a move.”

“Great!”

When he heard Zhu Meng say “great,” Man Niu knew that he himself would soon be finished.

Part 7

“Man Niu” was a person, a true man. (1)

But sometimes he was more like an ox. He had the temper of an ox, and the stubbornness of an ox. He was wilder than a wild ox, and more fierce. He was strongly built, just like an iron ox.

But sadly, this iron ox’s heart seemed to be made from porcelain. With the slightest touch it could shatter.

So he sat as far away as possible.

The others stood, but he sat, because he feared that he couldn’t handle it.

There were many things he couldn’t handle.

What he could least endure were those petty villains who sold out their friends. When he met people like that, he would readily put his life on the line to deal with them.

He also couldn’t handle the kind of friends who burst with personal loyalty, because when he met people like that, he would readily give his life over to them. Give his life without any requirement, and without regret.

So when he heard Zhu Meng say “great,” when he saw Zhu Meng begin to attack with his fists, he knew that he himself would soon be finished. It was similar to when Cleats had seen Zhu Meng standing next to Little Gao. Other than death, there was no second path to take.

He only wished that before he died he could see Zhu Meng and Sima Chaoqun battle. And he wished that before he died, he could follow Zhu Meng to the Great Protection Agency and battle Zhuo Donglai.

If he could accomplish these things, then it could be said that God had not treated him poorly, and he could die without complaint.

Only death could provide release from the suffering of the ages. He had already prepared to die, so his requirements were not excessive.

And yet God did not agree.

He watched Zhe Meng seemingly revert to his former awe-inspiring self, brandishing his iron fists, attacking. And then suddenly from behind him flew out a black noose. It encircled his throat.

Man Niu wanted to cry out, but it was too late.

The noose tightened, crushing into his Adam’s apple. He felt all the power in his body dissipate. His muscles grew slack. Excrement oozed out.

Zhu Meng and Sima were locked in fierce combat, and the attention of everyone else was fixed on them. No one noticed that he was dead. No one even cast a glance at him.

And so this iron ox of a man quietly left the world.

His death was even more tragic than that of Cleats.

(1) I believe I explained before that Man Niu’s name literally means something like “fierce ox”

Thank you...great update

Nice - more actions!

Thanks.

Another shadow hiding nearby ... Thks deathblade.

Thanks deathblade

Thanks deathblade for a quick update.

Thanks, deathblade.

Part 8

What masters battle, usually it is a matter of one move. Life and death, victory and defeat are usually determined in brief moment.

Sima and Zhu Meng’s battle was different.

Theirs was a bitter battle.

They were both exhausted. Not only were their hearts exhausted, but their bodies were worn out.

Their hands no longer had the strength to use the stances that could slay an enemy in the twinkling of an eye.

Occasionally Sima fist seemed clearly capable of overcoming Zhu Meng, but after attacking, his power and position were half what they should be.

Zhu Meng’s situation was the same.

These two heroes of the age, who could rebuke all of Jianghu, now seemed like two wild beasts locked in a life-or-death struggle. It was truly a grievous sight.

What was strange, though, was that Zhu Meng’s brothers seemed to have no reaction whatsoever.

When Zhu Meng was knocked down, and was struggling to regain his footing, they didn’t react at all, as if completely unconcerned.

They had all been attacked by an opponent before. Getting up after being knocked down was nothing special.

But then when Sima fell, his eyes suddenly filled with an unspeakable dread. His body flipped over; he rolled toward Zhu Meng and grabbed his leg.

This was not a stance that a hero and true man would use.

Sima Chaoqun had roamed wildly his whole life, and had never used a stance like this. Zhu Meng never imagined he would.

And so he was knocked down. The two of them rolled on the ground. Zhu Meng’s anger rose. A banging sound rang out as he slammed his fist onto Sima’s back.

Sima held onto him tightly and didn’t let go. Then he spoke quietly into Zhu Meng’s ear, in a very strange voice: “It seems your brothers are all dead. But we must pretend that we don’t know.”

Zhu Meng was shocked, and wanted to ask. “Why?”

But he didn’t utter a word, because Sima covered his mouth, and once gain spoke into his ear, “We must keep fighting, make them think that our battle will end in mutual defeat, that we’re going to kill each other.”

Zhu Meng wasn’t just a mere reckless brute.

He was a worldly-wise person, and he realized that the situation had suddenly changed.

His brothers were all there, but their heads lolled loosely on their necks.

He caught scent of a sickening, nauseating odor.

As they were fighting their bitter battle, someone had silently broken the necks of all of his brothers.

Could his brothers, who had fought with him through a hundred battles, really be killed so easily?

Zhu Meng didn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe it and wasn’t willing to believe it.

But his body was filled with coldness.

Sima seized the opportunity to flip over and press down on Zhu Meng, then punch his sides and ribs.

But he didn’t hit very hard. And his voice was even softer.

“It doesn’t matter if we are enemies or friends. You must listen to me. Otherwise we will both die filled with regret.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“We go. Together,” said Sima Chaoqun. “When I say go, jump up and leave.”

Someone suddenly laughed.

An eccentric-sounding voice spoke out, “It turns out Little Sima is a little smart. But sadly, Zhu Meng is still useless.” The person laughed sinisterly. “The world contains only Zhu Meng the killer, not Zhu Meng the escaper.”

Sima suddenly leaped up and said, “Go!”
    Last edited by deathblade; 04-17-14 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error

That's fast! Thanks!!

Thks deathblade ....

Wow! Thanks for another fix, deathblade

Thanks deathblade

Part 9

Night. Cold and dark. Even a person who had strictly trained their eyes would have a hard time seeing the trees and rocks, let alone be able to distinguish roads and directions.

In any case, this place had no roads.

If a person reaches a place with no roads, it generally means that they are at the end of their road.

Sima Chaoqun panted. Even though it seemed his lungs had already burst, he still tried to control the sound of his breathing.

Every bone and muscle in his body felt as if were sitting on a butcher’s block, being carved with a knife.

Zhu Meng’s situation wasn’t any better. The two of them stood shoulder to shoulder, panting unceasingly. Even though they could not hear the bowstring or the footstep of the hunter, they both felt the hopelessness and bitter sorrow of injured wild animals on the run.

“Do you know who that person was?”

“Yes,” said Sima. “It wasn’t just one person, and they are both capable of dealing with us.”

Zhu Meng laughed coldly. “I never imagined that the matchless Sima Chaoqun would say such discouraging words.”

“It’s not discouraging. It’s the truth.”

Zhu Meng said nothing. A long time passed. Then he spoke. “Yes. It’s the truth.” His voice was filled with sadness. “Sima is not the same Sima from the former days, and Zhu Meng isn’t the same Zhu Meng as before. Otherwise, how could we be pursued like wild dogs into the middle of nowhere?”

“I understand what you mean. You would rather die than flee. The world only has Zhu Meng the killer, not Zhu Meng the escaper. But why would you be willing to give your head to despicable, brazen villains? Why would you deliver up your own head to them so that they can take over your reputation and glory, your good wine and happy songs?”

“I also understand what you mean,” Zhu Meng said harshly. “If we have to deliver up our heads to someone, it should be someone worthy. Not Zhuo Donglai.”

Suddenly, the sound of applause could be heard within the darkness.

“Well said. Very well said.”

It was the same eccentric person, with the sinister voice. “Two such wonderful heads. Why deliver them to that bastard? I think it would be much better to deliver them to me.”

His voice was both far and the near, both from the left and then the right. It made it impossible to tell where exactly he was.

Zhu Meng’s body grew stiff.

This person was not Zhuo Donglai, and was more fearsome than Zhuo Donglai. In his entire life, Zhu Meng had never encountered someone with a more frighteningly high level of lightness kung fu. He simply couldn’t believe that there could be someone in the world who had achieved such ability, to be able to flit about at will like a demon.

He quickly regained his calm, as Sima Chaoqun whispered in his ear, “It’s not one person speaking, it’s twins. As long as we remain calm, they won’t act rashly. We mustn’t allow them to see the truth about our current state.”

At this moment, the two of them were suddenly illuminated. Every wrinkle and scar and expression was illuminated.

At least thirty deftly constructed Kongming lanterns shone brightly in all directions, illuminating their bodies.

In this instant, they stood there straight and erect, their faces expressionless.

Even though they could not see their opponents, they would not allow them to see their fatigue and pain and fear.

They had fought through hundreds of battles. Their bodies had been forged into steel. They would never surrender, and whoever it was that demanded their head would not find it an easy task.

The lanterns shone brightly, but the surrounding darkness was as black as ever.

Sima Chaoqun suddenly laughed.

“Gongsun Gongsun, you’ve been well since we last parted?” Smiling, he said, “I know that you two are people who know what is good and bad. If I help you achieve your goals, help you gain power, you will definitely give our headless corpses a decent burial, and come spring and autumn, you will commemorate us and place fresh flowers and fine wine in front of our tombs.”

Laughter rang out from the darkness. “Well said. Very well said.”

This time the laughter rang out from both the right and the left at the same time. And then two people walked out from the darkness into the shining lantern light.

They looked completely different.

One wore a crown of pearls and a jade belt, and carried a long, pearl-encrusted sword. His clothes were as resplendent as a young noble’s.

The other appeared to be a beggar, crippled and leaning on a long wooden crutch.

But if you looked carefully, you would see that their statures and appearance were exactly the same.

—Gongsun Gongsun.

—Twin brothers.

Zhu Meng suddenly found himself thinking about two people. Two people who he’d always thought had nothing to do with each other.

—The extravagant chief of the 27 tribes of Northeast China, whose lifestyle rivalled even the pickiest young lord. “Rich Prince” Gongsun Baojian. (1)

—The endless wanderer, too poor to eat 3 meals per day, frequently drunk in the gutter, rejected even by the Beggar Clan. Gongsun Qi’er. (2)

No one knew that they were brothers, much less that they were twins.

They were blood brothers. Why would one live a life of luxury and the other live in poverty? Zhu Meng still hadn’t wrapped his mind around it when he suddenly thought of two other people.

He suddenly thought of Sima Chaoqun and Zhuo Donglai.

—Why would Zhuo Donglai mould Sima Chaoqun into the world’s heroic idol?

The truth of the matter was complex and simple. Simple, and yet complex. Zhu Meng had a hard time figuring it out, let alone others.

And yet at long lost, Zhu Meng did figure it out.

If Sima Chaoqun hadn’t known that these two were twins, he would have believed that Gongsun Baojian was an unparalleled lightness kung fu master. When he heard his demonic voice, he would have been awestruck, just as Zhu Meng had been moments ago.

And now Zhu Meng understood. It was all a smokescreen.

They were like fireworks in the palace courtyard when curfew has been lifted on the night of Lantern Festival. They seem to be brilliant and amazing, full of constant changes, but they are really like the Seven Treasures Pagoda (3) or a performance of the Fish Dragon and the Stretch Monster. (4)

They are fake, empty. In the twinkling of an eye they are revealed to be false and empty, empty and false.

But they truly had mastered the ability to control the brilliance for a moment.

Some people might think that to have that sort of control, is to control eternity.

But if life is like an inn, then in the unhurried unchangeableness of heaven and earth, what real difference is there between “a moment” and “eternity?”

Among them was one who was willing to sacrifice, and to do so with no regret.

But the only question was—who was the one willing to sacrifice? And which one was truly content?

Zhu Meng could not figure out the answer to this question, and in the current situation, he didn’t have time to continue thinking about it.

He heard Sima Chaoqun speak to the brothers.

“Actually, I knew you two would arrive.” He was still smiling. “Several years ago, you had already cultivated the desire to expel me from the Great Protection Agency. You just didn’t have the confidence to do it. And you two will never attempt something if you lack confidence. Therefore, you had to wait until today.” He suddenly sighed. “I just never thought you would arrive so quickly.”

“You should have,” said Gongsun Baojian. “We have been waiting a very long time for an opportunity like today’s.”

“But how could you know that the opportunity had arisen?”

“Of course I would know.”

“When did you find out? I know that you have no truly fine horses in your stables. Even traveling a thousand miles in a day, the fastest you could arrive would be in four or five days. Don’t tell me that five days ago you predicted yesterday’s events, that Zhuo Donglai and I would become enemies and oppose each other?”

“You never thought that I would have spies placed in the Great Protection Agency?”

“Of course I did. But that would be useless.”

“Why?”

“Because five days ago, even I myself never imagined there would be a day like today. How could others know?”

“What about Zhuo Donglai?”

“He didn’t imagine it either.” Sima’s voice held pain. “Until I actually drew my blade, he never imagined that I would.”

“Oh?”

“And even if he did imagine that it would happen, he wouldn’t tell you.”

“Oh?”

“The friendship between us lasted for over decades. Even though it was destroyed in an instant, there is still no one in the world who understands him better than me. Even if he wanted to betray me, he wouldn’t betray me to you.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re not worthy,” he said indifferently. “In Zhuo Donglai’s eyes, Your Excellncies the brothers aren’t worth a coin, even added together.” He sighed again. “So, I really don’t understand how you are here today, unless you actually have some sort of ability of foreknowledge.”

Gongsun Qi’er suddenly let out a sigh. “Even though I don’t have the ability of foreknowledge, I did just think of something.”

Gongsun Baojian asked his brother, “You thought of something? What did you think of?”

“I suddenly thought that you should be like me. You should wander around Jianghu for a while.”

“Why?”

“Because if you were like me, an old hand at trickery and deception, you would understand his true goal.”

“What is his true goal?”

“His true goal is to keep us chatting with him, to keep talking. His courage is departed, his energy sapped, his power exhausted. He is using time to chat with us so that he can restore his vitality. Then, when we make a move, who’s to say whether or not he could hold his own for a while?” He shook his head. “Refusing to give up until all hope is lost, not giving up until the very last moment. (5) Until his head is actually lopped off, Little Sima really won’t drop the idea of prevailing.”

Sima Chaoqun laughed, as did Zhu Meng. They laughed heartily.

“Well said. Very well said.” Zhu Meng laughed at Gongsun Qi’er, and then beckoned to him. “Come, come. Come on over. The faster the better.”

“You want me to go over?”

“Grandfather Zhu has taken a liking to you, you tricky and deceptive little bastard. I want to deliver my head to you. You just need to come get it.”

Sima Chaoqun laughed loudly and slapped him on the shoulder. “Good. You can have this little bastard. Leave the bigger bastard for me.”

“Good. Let’s do it.” Zhu Meng’s laughter was filled with heroism. “If we can’t handle these two little sons of *****es, then we need to go buy some tofu to beat ourselves to death with.”

The two of them stood shoulder to shoulder, laughing in unison. Whatever is “life,” and whatever is “death,” it was pushed to the side by their laughter.

The expressions on the faces of the Gongsun brothers hadn’t changed.

Some people’s faces will never change, and will never have new expressions. These brothers were like that. Gongsun Qi’er let out a breath and asked his brother, “Did you hear what our dear friend said?”

“I heard.”

“Who is he?”

“It seems he’s Zhu Meng, of the Lion Clan.”

“Impossible,” said Gongsun Qi’er. “It couldn’t be him. Zhu Meng of the Lion Clan is a true man who knows the difference between gratitude and resentment. He’s never been able to live under the same sky as Little Sima of the Great Protection Agency. How could they suddenly be wearing the same pair of trousers together?”

Zhu Meng suddenly clasped Sima Chaoqun’s arm. In a deep voice, he asked, “Did you hear what the beggar said?”

“I heard very clearly.”

“He spoke with the air of a beggar, but he really hit the nail on the head regarding our situation today. We have been mortal enemies for our entire lives. Who would ever have imagined that today we would become friends willing to die together?”

“Are we friends?”

“Yes,” said Zhu Meng loudly. “From today onward, we might as well write off the old hatred of former days.”

“Good. Very good.”

“We become friends in one day, we remain friends for life. As long as I, Zhu Meng, am not dead, then I will keep this vow, lest I be slain by men and spirits alike.”

Sima Chaoqun felt hot, righteous ardor filling his head. “Don’t worry. We won’t be slain.”

The ardor was like a fire; once stoked, it heated their heroic spirits. The last bit of ability they possessed had been sparked ablaze.

Because they finally realized that they were not alone in the world.

Because they knew they had a friend, a friend willing to die together, a friend faithful regardless of life or death.

Having lived to this moment, they could die without regret.

They clasped hands, feeling that the righteous ardor carried with it some sort of mystical power. It poured forth from their hearts until their faces seemed to glow with a brilliant aura.

And now the expressions on the faces of the Gongsun brothers changed.

Zhu Meng and Sima turned around at the same time. They were back to back.

“Come, you two,” said Sima Chaoqun loudly. “It doesn’t matter how many you have with you, come all at once.” The sun had set in the western mountains. The heroes had reached the end of the road, and the Gongsun Brothers had considered them to be fish in a cauldron, meat on the chopping block.

But now they retreated two steps.

Now they understood that even when heroes reach the end of the road, they are still heroes, and will not tolerate insults.

At this moment, the sky grew darker. It seemed they had reached that time before dawn when the night was darkest.

Within the boundless darkness, there suddenly could be heard a cold and desolate sound. It was the melancholy yet graceful voice of a young girl. She sang a desolate and slow song, a sad song that would be difficult to remove from the mind.

Where did the singing come from?

On such a cold, dark evening, in these desolate and harsh mountains, how could there be someone singing such a sad, heartbreaking melody?

(1) In accordance with my usual method, I will translate the name into pinyin. However, the given names of these two characters are very literal. Baojian means “treasured sword.”
    (2) Qi’er literally means “beggar.”
    (3) This is reference to a mythological pagoda. Sorry, I couldn’t find any English articles about it, it’s relatively obscure.
    (4) This is an acrobatic performance popular in ancient China. Sorry, I couldn’t find any English articles about this either.
    (5) These are two cool Chinese sayings. The first is “to not die until one reaches the Yellow River.” The second is “to not shed tears until one sees the coffin.”
    Last edited by deathblade; 04-20-14 at 11:13 PM. Reason: edited to properly reflect that Zhuo Donglai and Sima Chaoqun were friends for decades, not just one decade

End of chapter 17. Wow, only one more chapter left! It's slightly longer than Chapter 18, so we'll see how long it takes!