Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Nirvana in Fire 《琅琊榜》 - Hu Ge, Liu Tao, Chen Long, Wang Kai

Anyone seen the preview for episode 18 - the scene with Mei Chang Su, Nihuang and Mong Chi? Know what's happening? I don't understand mandarin... Just wondering if Mei Chang Su is scolding Nihuang...
    always smile

Quote Originally Posted by natuschan View Post
    Anyone seen the preview for episode 18 - the scene with Mei Chang Su, Nihuang and Mong Chi? Know what's happening? I don't understand mandarin... Just wondering if Mei Chang Su is scolding Nihuang...
    Nah, Nihuang does apologize in the scene but it's not because Mei Chang Su blames her for anything. Not explicitly, anyway.

It starts with General Meng asking Mei Chang Su why he won't reveal his true identity (Lin Shu) to Jing Wang; General Meng's argument is that it doesn't make sense to keep Jing Wang out of the loop. Mei Chang Su explains that if Jing Wang knew his real identity, he wouldn't be able to follow through each plan as he does now, without any consideration of Mei Chang Su's well-being. In short, Jing Wang would be hindered by a desire to protect Mei Chang Su/Lin Shu. After he says this, Mei Chang Su turns to Nihuang and asks, "You should know this the best-- after learning of my true identity, you've found yourself paying attention to a lot of things, isn't that right?" Nihuang replies, "Older brother, I never meant to become a hindrance [to your plans]."

natuschan, I could watch Fei Liu pouting and hunting pigeons all day Fingers crossed that poor Jingrui makes it out of his birthday celebration in one piece.. with at least one relative in his two families alive? I'm starting to feel bad for the people standing in Mei Chang Su's way, like the Zhuo father and son.

Finally finished episode 16, and happy to see another (very short) clip of young Nihuang and Lin Shu!

Hanging lanterns together:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/1ev3af.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i57.tinypic.com/ta1w5x.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i60.tinypic.com/2iw14c6.png')

Not sure whether the book version had Mei Chang Su this torn up over his past with Nihuang, but man, Hu Ge is sure selling that angst:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i61.tinypic.com/hwlffc.png')
    Last edited by panda-pop; 09-27-15 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks for the explanation, panda-pop! I know the episode is coming out in a few hours only, but I just wanted to know LOL. Nihuang looked so sad. What Mei Chang Su is saying though is true. Jing Wang wants justice for the dead, that's his driving force. If he knew Lin Shu was alive, he wouldn't be as determined and ruthless.

Did you see Fei Liu hanging up the lantern? :P I don't think in the book, Mei Chang Su was as torn up about his past romance with Nihuang, since it was more a brother/sister relationship apparently.

panda-pop, about Jingrui: *DO NOT READ UNDER THE SPOILER TAG, MAJOR SPOILERS*

click to show/hide spoilers
    I don't know what happens to Jingrui after the big show-down, but I'm pretty sure he survives... But how much will we see of him, that's the question, since he doesn't appear much in the trailer after the show-down. I mean, we do see Yan Yujin fighting alongside Meng Ji.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/35k1wrl.jpg')

In red and yellow, on the right side of the pic... I think that's Jingrui. Also, we know his mother survives for sure. And if you re-watch the trailer, the part of the show-down, Xie Yu is ordering his soldiers to kill the Zhuo people. You actually see, the Zhuo son fighting alongside with Meng Ji in the show-down. The question will be - were they working all the time for Mei Chang Su or they switched side after learning Xie was really using them.

Did you also read JoleCole's blog post giving a description of each character? It seems there's a secret about Jingrui's birth rights. Wonder if that will be kept in the tv series adaptation.
    always smile

Re Jingrui
    I believe his birth secret will be in the TV adaption since it was alluded too right in the first (I think) episode. And subsequently last night episodes. Everything is building up to April 12.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
    (How do you guys do that fancy click for spoilers thingy? )

According to what I read, it was a complete bloodbath when he's birthright is revealed. The Zhuo family will switch sides after learning the truth. And the truth hurts big time!!! Not just for Jingrui but the Zhuo family. It is just really really sad! 😢😢😢

P.S: Jingrui is not the son of Zhuo or Xie (hehe his 来头 is damn big!!)

Quote Originally Posted by natuschan View Post
    Given the fact that this series is not a wuxia series, the fight scenes are really good. Lots of hand-to-thand choreography which is what's been missing the last few years in wuxia series. Nice wire-work as well. Yes, there is slow-mo, but not CGI. And there's at least one fight scene in every episode IIRC.

panda-pop, wasn't Fei Liu cute when he was watching Jingrui's sword choreography? And poor Jingrui... seems like his next birthday will be the big showdown

While there hasn't been a lot of romance, I liked the little of what we've seen. Those scenes with young Nihuang and Lin Shu are really powerful. Also, noticed how Nihuang curtsied in episode 14 instead of bowing? Suddenly acting more feminine with Mei Chang Su. No wonder Muc Qing was smiling LOL.
    I noticed the curtsey too!! Its the subtle details in this show thats makes it amazing!! Not only that she has also soften when with Meichangsu. And she calls him 兄长!

Did you see feiliu sticking our his tongue at Jingrui after the fight scene? I think Jingrui is another person who feiliu can't win in a fight.

Re fight scenes
    It's true. it's been a long time since wuxia TV drama has created fight scenes such as this. It's sometimes beautiful and mesmerising, sometimes powerful and stunning, sometimes so quick you miss it and it's all created without the use of fanciful CG or stupid spinning camera that actually makes it worse. The fight scenes reminds me of the fight scenes in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon etc.

I'm sailing on the ShuHuang ship, Hu ge and Liu Tao are playing their role so perfectly even though there weren't supposed to be any romance between Lin Shu and NiHuang I still like the distance yet sweet silent romance in the series much more than the one in the novel with no romance. I also like how they still stick to the plot without throwing in too much romance but giving the audience enough to feel for ShuHuang. I like me some bromance but I like a little romance too...

I'm a stickler when it comes to adaptation. I've watched shows where the story is completely butchered and often wondered why they bothered to do an adaptation when they couldn't remain faithful to the books. With that said, this is the one time where I''m actually happy the author decided to change the romance between the show and book. I have not read the book, but going by what everyone said here, it's a pity that the author didn't explore or expand this romance in the novel. I think it would make the story as much if not more memorable if Lin Shu died with some lingerings. In the novel, he accepted his death and felt there was nothing else left for him. He was living on borrowed time to complete his revenge and once that was done, it was time to go. But wouldn't it be more epic if he had a deep love and didn't want to part with it? How much more heart breaking would his last departure be if he had experienced that kind of love and passion? This is what I'm hoping to see in the show. I want to see Lin Shu wanting to live and have a life with Nihuang. I want him to live for love and not for revenge. And when his time is up, I want him to regret he doesn't have more time with those he loves. Therefore, I'm shipping hard for Lin Shu and Nihuang. I want him to have some kind of happiness before he rests forever.

Quote Originally Posted by panda-pop View Post

Finally finished episode 16, and happy to see another (very short) clip of young Nihuang and Lin Shu!

Hanging lanterns together:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/1ev3af.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i57.tinypic.com/ta1w5x.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i60.tinypic.com/2iw14c6.png')

Not sure whether the book version had Mei Chang Su this torn up over his past with Nihuang, but man, Hu Ge is sure selling that angst:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i61.tinypic.com/hwlffc.png')
    This scene was super sweet. He stood there lost in thought and when he saw her, he had this dreamy look like it wasn't real. He's sooo into her! Nihuang is slowly thawing Lin Shu's heart! Go make him happy Princess! Too bad he had to leave her alone to go set another piece in motion.

There's another girl crazy in love with Lin Shu! What do you guys think of her?

Skywalker
    Totally agree with what you mean by adaptations being faithful to the book. Obviously 1 must have fallen in love with the story characters etc. Would be Best to follow the book faithfully so the readers imagined story can come alive!

You mean gong yu? She's got a pivotal role coming up!

What I really like is all the restrained yearnings being shown by all the characters...swoons.

BTW is anyone curious about yan yu jing? Xiao jingrui's good buddy? He seems only interested in partying but he's the only one who catches on early that mei Chang su isn't really helping prince yu. And that conversation he had with meichangsu thanking him for saving the yan family...

Every character here is like an onion. Just when you think you understand them, you peel and there's another layer...

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
    (How do you guys do that fancy click for spoilers thingy? )
    To do the spoilers tag: {SPOILER}{/SPOILER}

***Replace {} by [] - when I wrote it with the [], it didn't appear LOL.

Then you put the spoiler text in btw the two tags Otherwise, if you write the post in the advance setting post, you'll see an icon for spoiler tags (last icon)

yannlc - I did see Fei Liu sticking his tongue out as Jingrui. I think Fei Liu is still above Jingrui, but Jingrui definitively has gone up in his esteem. Would be a tougher fight than everyone expected.

Skywalker - Perhaps the author will now revised the novel? I'm a stickler for faithful adaptations as well. I don't always mind the changes, as long as it has a purpose, which in this case, it definitively does. I hope the romance will turn as what you describe, Skywalker, because it will totally add a poignancy to the whole ending. And so far, I'm not liking the other girl very much. I hate, hate, hate love triangles - which is not really the case here. However, I don't know, I find her somewhat annoying (in a very subdued way). My problem is she's taking some unnecessary risks, defying orders when she's been told to stay put.
    Last edited by natuschan; 09-27-15 at 07:26 AM.
    always smile

I agree, I hate when a good storyline is butchered and ruined by changing plot, changing romance.... Focus too much on one thing and forget the main plot... But in ShuHuang case I like how they add enough scene of them and threw a litte romance there and then between them unlike in the book but not to the point where they ruin or forget the main plot.... Sorry for my rambling, I really ship ShuHuang, they deserve a loveline... Whether a happy ever after or not, I'm sailing...

I feel bad for NiHuang, since she found out about Lin Shu identity he's been quite distance and tends to not show any reaction towards her but I don't blame him, he is doing this to not reveal his true motive and identity to others, I'm pretty sure deep down, he feels bad... Is it just me or Lin Shu is still quite distance not just to NiHuang but to other poeple he cares about too, for instance General meng, the Zhang zuo alliance people even Fei Liu.. I feel Lin Shu distance himself because he doesn't want to get too attach to the people he cares about since he know he doesn't have much time left and when the seperation comes, it's going to be too sad and hard to handle... But I still wish he show a little more reactions because deep down he does care for them... It's sad already just thinking about it...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Jingrui sometimes wears his hair down? In the beginning, when Mei Chang Su did it as well as Lin Ge, I thought it was because they were in another country/region. However, in the capital, Jingrui seems to be the only one... I just find it weird that he'll just switch hairdos.

Episodes 17 and 18 are okay. Lots is happening, but very little Fei Liu, romantic moments or fights. The guys looking for the music book was cute. Funniest moment is when Mei Chang Su asks Meng Ji to accompany him through the tunnel to go visit Jing Wang and Meng Ji immediately agrees. Then, Mei Chang Su is like: what should we tell Jing Wang when he asks about your presence and Meng Ji is coming up with all those excuses LOL. It's just the way he says it. Great acting from Chen Long.

Can't wait for episode 20! Looks like it's going to be explosive :P
    always smile

C-luv-H - Don't worry, you're not rambling. I think you're expressing everyone's feelings

Perhaps Mei Chang Su needs that distance with everyone as it's easier for him to act.
    always smile

Happy 中秋節/mid-autumn festival, everyone! Barely had time to fit in episodes 17 and 18 today between all the eating and.. well, more eating haha.

Like natuschan said, everything's building towards the showdown on Jingrui's birthday, so not a ton happens plot-wise. I'm still impressed by how the drama confidently moves each piece into place, using this "down time" to flesh out each character more vividly. I think a few pages back, someone mentioned that Yu Wang seems like he'd make the best emperor out of the candidates? I could definitely see that point, so it was nice to see Mei Chang Su address that in a conversation with Nihuang and General Meng. Yu Wang would be an effective ruler, able to scheme against the best of them, but he's also shown himself to be cruel and ruthless when need be. Jing Wang is stubborn and unwilling to play politics, but he's smart and principled. It's sad to realize that Lin Shu's dad, Yu Jin's dad and the current emperor were once best friends as young men, knowing how things eventually turned out for that generation. Power and paranoia poisoned everything.

I'm a little nervous about Nihuang/General Meng/Gong Yu/any of the people who care about Mei Chang Su messing things up for him because they're looking out for him, but it's also heartwarming to see their devotion. When Nihuang defends Mei Chang Su against Jing Wang's suspicions? So clutch. If looks could kill, Jing Wang would be in serious trouble.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/2ynh308.png')

Can't wait for the epic showdown coming up! Xie Yu is the worst, I won't feel bad at all when he gets what's coming for him. I think I've pieced together the story behind Jingrui's birth secret.. does this sound about right?

click to show/hide spoilers
    Back when Princess Liyang (Jingrui's mother) was still unmarried, there was a prince from an enemy nation being held hostage in the Liang kingdom. That prince and Princess Liyang fell in love. Gossip spread, and the prince was sent back to his homeland. Shortly after, Princess Liyang married Xie Yu, who was just a mid-level official at that point in time.

It sounds like Princess Liyang was actually pregnant with the enemy prince's child (children? twins?), which is why she was forced to marry Xie Yu. The whole baby-swap/mistaken-identity fiasco at the temple with the Zhuo clan may have been orchestrated to further hide this fact? I wonder if Jingrui will end up going back to his real father's kingdom after all of this is revealed.

In any case, I guess we'll find out tomorrow! In the meantime, we can count on Mu Qing to keep things light in the middle of chaos.

(To Nihuang and Xia Dong) "What are you two doing? Sewing flowers?"

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i58.tinypic.com/vdmp9c.png')

The attention to detail in this show is amazing. Even the minor actors are on point. I love how the king's eunuch is always casting those shady side-eyes and knowing looks at people.

The character relationships all more interconnected than a Cat's Cradle. Meichangshu/Lingshu's mother is the emperor's sister, and Jing Wang's mother is Lingshu's father's adopted sister, and the deceased Qi Wang's mother is Lingshu's father's sister. So Meichangshu/Lingshu, Jing Wang, and Qi Wang are direct cousins.

Yu Wang would not make a good king. He's decent at scheming and being ruthless for getting power, but he's not the kind of person that's good at maintaining power and governing a kingdom. Like one of the character's said, he's exactly like his father, and look what kind of king his father is.
    Last edited by le_amarant; 09-27-15 at 08:42 PM.

Oh my gosh guys I haven't had time to catch up cause I was busy all weekend and I just watched episode 12. OH MY GOD. I know you all are over this already, but I just needed to get that off my chest haha. LIU TAO IS SO GOOD! I liked her before, but I didn't think that she was THIS GOOD. I love her character interpretation, and that scene was just completely heart rending. Hu Ge and Liu Tao are so perfectly paired, I can't get over it.

On another note, I'm beginning to like Jing Wang a lot! And he's so cute hehe. Never watched anything with Wang Kai, but I will definitely be looking out for him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by panda-pop View Post

I'm a little nervous about Nihuang/General Meng/Gong Yu/any of the people who care about Mei Chang Su messing things up for him because they're looking out for him, but it's also heartwarming to see their devotion. When Nihuang defends Mei Chang Su against Jing Wang's suspicions? So clutch. If looks could kill, Jing Wang would be in serious trouble.
    She called by him his full name and was ready to fight him to defend Mei Chang Su's honor! Hahahaha...she's so fierce when it comes Lin Shu!

Mu Qing is just the cutest boy!! I love his looks and his voice. He's even more adorable than Fei Liu! I want more Mu Qing!!

Honestly, I don't know why anyone wants to be emperor. That's a 24/7 job! Just be a regular prince and he can enjoy endless riches with some power and a peaceful life. But I support Jing Wang for the throne because he doesn't want it for some stupid and petty reason like power or riches. He wants it for justice, hence why I will support him. He's also very smart and knows and understands the threats and lost of war. He values people's lives and honor above all else. The other princes may be better at playing the game, but they may not love the people as Jing Wang does. I'm team Jing Wang all the way!

BTW, does anyone know if Jing Wang's voice is his real voice? If not, whoever dubbed him has an amazing, powerful sexy voice! I love his voice!

I just want to say, all the women in this drama are just so awesome! They're all very capable and strong and independent. Awesome awesome drama!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    Oh my gosh guys I haven't had time to catch up cause I was busy all weekend and I just watched episode 12. OH MY GOD. I know you all are over this already, but I just needed to get that off my chest haha. LIU TAO IS SO GOOD! I liked her before, but I didn't think that she was THIS GOOD. I love her character interpretation, and that scene was just completely heart rending. Hu Ge and Liu Tao are so perfectly paired, I can't get over it.
    Nihuang is an amazing character and Liu Tao is an excellent actress! The reunion is one of my favorite scenes. I have too many to list them all! But what broke me during that scene was when Lin Shu called her by her name. That was the first time he let himself addressed her on a first name basis. His voice sounded so sad he when he said her name. Sniff sniff sniff!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    BTW, does anyone know if Jing Wang's voice is his real voice? If not, whoever dubbed him has an amazing, powerful sexy voice! I love his voice!
    I believe it is the actor Wang Kai's real voice because my mom is watching another one of his series at the moment and said that she recognized him from his voice. It is a very nice voice

(Side note: dunno if anyone has seen 伪装者? It's hilarious because it features basically the exact same cast and was broadcast right before this series aired so all the Chinese netizens make fun of this series because they say it's like watching all the characters travel back in time ala Bu Bu Jing Xin, lol)