Page 78 of 358 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 7159

Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by Anh Nam View Post
    My point was that you can find people in the Chinese community that look Korean, Thai, or like any other Asian people who are pure Chinese
    Incidentally, have you seen the following ?
    Next up, we discover what outdated stereotypes and everyday experiences Asian-Americans have to deal with today :
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs.

Thanks Foxs for the translation. I was planning to start reading this for quite a while however finally started and finished in last couple of days. Awesome story and amazing translation.

I haven't started read any good wuxia for quite some time and in this era of xianxia infested translations, your work is a breathe of fresh air with a old world charm. Will be lurking around now onwards...

Default Book 7 Chapter 3 - Part 2

Ysabel, Drax, Jaya, HPC, Lao Qianbei, you are welcome. Akolaw, maybe you are right, I will check it this weekend, right now I don't have time. Sky, I don't like Fu Junyu too much. Anh, that's true. But there are some traits that will make you know immediately their nationality. Not always, but sometimes. Xu Xiong, I believe there were some discussions in this forum about that very same subject. Abhay, welcome back! It's been a while since I saw your name.

Zhuhua Bang was one of those gangs with tight organizational structure. Under the Bangzhu, there was one Junshi [military advisor], followed by Wind, Clear, Rain and Dew, four Halls. Under them were Duozhu [helmsman], Xiangzhu [fragrant master] and the Gang disciples. General Assembly in the Bamboo Forest was the highest assembly of the Gang, except in case of an emergency, it was held only once every three years.

Kou Zhong turned to the man with thick eyebrows and said, My guess is Daye must be Wind Bamboo Halls Deputy Hall Master, Lou Feng Daye!

Lou Feng had a rather favorable impression on these two boys; he said, Lets talk after we are inside the city!

Along the way Kou and Xu, two boys figured out what was going on. Turned out after the muddleheaded ruler was killed, Yangzhou fell into Li Zitongs hands, Zhuhua Bang elected new Gang Leader at Danyang, but then Jianghuai Army attacked Danyang, Junshi Shao Lingzhou seized that opportunity to lead the Gang to occupy Jiangyin. Although in term of power they were far inferior to Li Zitong, Shen Faxing, and the like, it was enough for them to become a local power.

Recently all local powers were trying to pull them apart, notably the most active one was Tieqi Hui who occupied Wuxi and Jinling, south and southwest of Jiangyin, respectively.

Tieqi Hui Leader Ren Shaoming was even openly trying to lure the Hall Masters of Clear Bamboo Hall, Rain Bamboo Hall, and Dew Bamboo Hall, three halls; time and again he sabotaged the Gang Leader election. His intention was to absorb the dragon without a head Zhuhua Bang and incorporate it under Tieqi Hui banner.

The General Assembly in Bamboo Forest this time was Junshi Shao Lingzhous initiative, supported by Shen Beichang, to discuss the effort to counter Ren Shaoming and the three other Halls renegades operation, while hoping that they would be able to elect new Gang Leader in the assembly.

In this journey, Shen Beichang and the others have suffered repeated Tieqi Hui attacks, and have lost close to a hundred men; hence the reason they were nervous and tensed.

During their Yangzhou days, other than Yan Laoda, practically nobody knew that these two boys names were Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling. They only knew the two boys as Little Zhong and Little Ling; naturally nobody knew that Yan Kuan was implicated and was killed because of them, they thought that Yan Kuan was martyred because he dared to oppose the muddleheaded ruler. Only Kou and Xu, two boys, were aware that Yan Kuan and martyrdom had nothing to do with each other.

Among the caravan, there was a carriage with its curtains hung down, and it was guarded particularly strictly. With glancing knock, sideways stroke Kou Zhong was trying to find out the identity of the person inside the carriage, but all he obtained was the reprimand of the Deputy Hall Master, Lou Feng.

In the city, the two boys followed the Wind Bamboo Hall people into the Wind Bamboo Hall mansion house in the town center. Taking advantage while Shen Beichang and Luo Feng went to see Junshi Shao Wuzhuo [sic], the two boys slipped out into the street.

Kou Zhong laughed and said, This Shao Wuzhuo is indeed a talent; just look how he govern the city that everything in Jiangyin is clear and orderly, the chaos outside does not seem to affect this place.

Watching the bustling scene of people coming and going, Xu Ziling agreed, The south has always been bountiful, plus Jiangyin is the connecting fort at the mouth of Yangtze River to the ocean; as long as their production capability is not destroyed, the people can live in peace and work happily.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling had changed their clothes into Gang uniform with a single bamboo embroidered on them, the insignia of the lowest level Gang disciples. This moment they saw five or six Zhuhua Bang disciples were walking in their direction while talking loudly among themselves; hurriedly the two boys made a hand signal to show their respect.

When those several people saw that the two boys insignia was of the Wind Bamboo, they snorted repeatedly and simply left without paying them any attention.

Kou and Xu, two boys were taken aback; it was only then did they realize that those people did not belong to the Wind Bamboo Hall, and that the struggle among the four Halls was clearly very intense.

They found a restaurant and took a seat, the waiter stepped forward and politely welcomed them.

After the waiter left, Xu Ziling frowned and said, Zhong Shao, you seem to forget why we are here?

Kou Zhong smiled apologetically and said, If I randomly fabricated some words, you will definitely accuse me of being not honest enough. The bottom line is that we are now considered Zhuhua Bang people, and now Zhuhua Bang is in distress as they are on the brink of annexation, we should really spend a bit of effort to help!

Xu Ziling sneered and said, You are just thinking of taking Tieqi Huis place and take over Zhuhua Bang for yourself!

Kou Zhong said, How could you consider it the same thing? Ren Shaoming is a big rotten-egg of the dark road [i.e. criminal], but I, Kou Zhong am a good man who in all respects conduct myself in consideration of other peoples needs. If Zhuhua Bang fell into my hands, it would be their good fortune. One lifetime two brothers, will you or will you not help me?

This moment the waiter came to offer some pastries, but he lingered at their table. I wonder if both masters belong to Wind Bamboo Hall, he asked respectfully.

Kou Zhong was surprised, Whats the matter? he asked.

The waiter said, As long as you are Wind Bamboo Hall or Shao Junzhis men, we will serve you free of charge. But Daye [big master] must not let Ren Shaoming prevails! And then he left, deeply worried and sick at heart.

Xu Ziling stared blankly for half a day, and then he sighed and said, Very well!

Kou Zhong was pleased beyond his expectation. General Assembly in Bamboo Forest will start tonight; we are going to see the opportunity and act accordingly!

Recalling Duan Yucheng and the others, four men, Xu Ziling was about to speak when they heard a chuckle and someone spoke, You, two boys are unexpectedly here!

Xu Ziling and Kou Zhong jumped in fright and turned their gaze toward the door. To their surprise, it was Gui Xiliang, who had risen to the Fragrant Master position, the guy the two boys used to hang around with. Next to him was another familiar face, also someone whom they hang around with, Xing Rong. This kid was slim, his hands and feet looked lithe, and seemed to be rather cunning.

The four of them saw each other; naturally it was a very happy occasion. The two boys were happy and they found it amusing that Gui Xiliang was putting an air as a fragrant master.

Xing Rong knitted his brows and said, Since when did you become Wind Bamboo Hall people?

You did not steal someone elses clothes, did you? Gui Xiliang asked suspiciously.

Gui and Xing, two mens clothes had bamboo flower embroidered on the lapel, showing that they were direct subordinate of their Gang Leader, but since they currently did not have Gang Leader, naturally they were under Junshi Shao Lingzhous command.

Seeing the long saber hanging on Kou Zhongs back, Xing Rong happily said, Watching you two with glowing faces, I dont know where you stole the weapon from, but you must be mingling with the right crowd!

Xu Ziling self-deprecatingly said, Why stop with right? He practically had grand style. Zhong Shao practically held hands and drank wine together with Zhai Rang, Du Fuwei, and the likes; dont you think it was impressive enough?

Tsk, tsk, Xing Rong repeatedly clucked his tongue, but his face showed that he was scorning Xu Ziling for boasting groundlessly.

Kou Zhong reached out to pat Xing Rongs shoulder; he said with a laugh, You must not be that jealous.

Xing Rong laughed, but pushed his hand aside, and heaved a deep sigh.

Dont brag, Gui Xiliang said, Remember that we are among brothers, you come with me from now on! Tonight after Shao Junshi becomes Bangzhu, I will report to him about you.

Kou Zhong made a non-committal remark; and then he asked, Are you sure Shao Junshi will become Bangzhu?

Xing Rong replied, In terms of popularity, capacity, status, and martial art skill, no one in our Gang can consider Shao Junshi is second to anybody, but the situation is not that simple.

Gui Xiliang spoke in an authoritative tone, Nowadays everybody wants to stick their foot in our General Assembly in Bamboo Forest; they ought to know Ren Shaoming, that treacherous bandits behavior, plus that thief is now in cahoots with Lin Shihong. The situation is not too optimistic.

Xing Rong said, Luckily Shao Junshi obtained the Song Clans support; otherwise Ren Shaoming and Lin Shihong would be even more unbridled.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling exchanged glanced; their eyes lit up. The Song Clan? they asked, Who are they sending to support him?

Gui Xiliang frowned and said, How could you inquire about such confidential information? We are going back to Junshi Mansion; are you coming or not?

Kou Zhong stood up while pulling Xu Ziling along, and said, Naturally we will follow Gui Xiangzhu [fragrant master] to increase our knowledge.

Xing Rong objected, But we have not had our fill yet, why would you stand up so quickly?

Kou Zhong giggled and said, But we are already full; let us go outside first and wait respectfully for two Dage.

They had just stepped out of the door, the same bunch of young men from the Rain Bamboo Hall they saw earlier crowded in; they intentionally bumped the two boys aside, clearly they were trying to pick a fight.

However, the two boys were familiar with this kind of situation; they refused to be provoked.

Outside the door, Kou Zhong excitedly said in a low voice, This is getting more and more interesting. Let us strike a friendship with Shao Lingzhou during the assembly, and then see where things go from there.

Xu Ziling knitted his brows and said, I just think that this matter is too troublesome, plus it is also not something we would receive any benefit from, nor is it something that we could do.

Kou Zhong raised his clenched fist in front of his eyes and said, Under similar circumstances, it would be difficult for us to be of any use; being mere two kids would not suit us well. However, it has become clear right now that whoever has harder fist would get the chance to speak. Dont you think that we have a great opportunity here?

Xu Ziling grumpily stared at him for a moment. Suddenly the sound of bowls and cups falling to the ground and shattered followed by the sound of people shouting and cursing was heard from inside the restaurant.

The two boys were staring blankly at each other; could it be that the Rain Bamboo Hall people dare to violate their Gangs rule by starting a fight with Gui Xiliang, two people?

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs.

Thks foxs.

Thanks foxs

thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Among the caravan, there was a carriage with its curtains hung down, and it was guarded particularly strictly. With glancing knock, sideways stroke Kou Zhong was trying to find out the identity of the person inside the carriage, but all he obtained was the reprimand of the Deputy Hall Master, Lou Feng.

Xing Rong said, Luckily Shao Junshi obtained the Song Clans support; otherwise Ren Shaoming and Lin Shihong would be even more unbridled.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling exchanged glanced; their eyes lit up. The Song Clan? they asked, Who are they sending to support him?
    Oh, let it (somehow) be Song Yuzhi...
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks Foxs

Does anyone have any information about these organisational titles?

Bangzhu - OK about this, self evident
    Junshi [military advisor] - OK too
    Tang zhu [Hall Master] - OK too
    Duozhu [helmsman] - I've heard of a 分舵 which just implies that the 舵 is another sub-unit.
    Xiangzhu [fragrant master] - What are Xiang? 香 ?

The last 2 are just plain weird. Do you think they are allegories to something else?

I see there are some questions on baidu about 分舵. I'll have a look at some point and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Xiangzhu [fragrant master] - What are Xiang? 香 ?
    香主 ?

Traditional triad organizational structure (438) :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Triad_structure.svg')

Thanks foxs.

Confusing..in the Sword and the Book, the Helmsman is the top leader.

Chinese are not particular in these ranks, and they can be different with different organization and can change from time to time and from region to region, So take it as the author say.

In Tang Dynasty we call Government dept as Shan (Province) and we call Province (Tao), that is why Japanese call their dept. shan their province --Tao, These is a Shu Story and Book and Sword is a Qing Story, So importance of title change over a 1000 year.

Top Leader's title change as well, in Mao's time it is Chairman, after him is General Clerk, and from Jiang on is President, so how do you say why it is 3 different title in 3 generation.

We give different names to these organization, Bang, Wui , Shea, which one is a bigger one?? Actually the bigger one is the bigger one, it doesn't matter if it is call Bang, Wui, or Shea. In modern history the largest secret society is Qing Bang and Hung Mon. Qing Bang also known as Tsao Bang is actually channel worker's union, and they use sifu bring in disciple so there is father uncle, son, grand father etc. but Hung Mon is big brother and younger brother, they exist as the same time.

This bamboo bang is a father son hierarchy, that is why Yin is grand father of the two boy. But Dai Lung Tau is a brotherhood hierarchy, so you have dai ge, lung tau dai ge, and then dai lung tau. These are different title to different organization and not universally applied.

Dai ge is how members call their leader in normal Chinese society, and when different group joint together they elect a leader so he is the Lung tau dai ge. And Lung tau is more north China feel.

The term Lung tau come from I Ching, Quan lung mao sau, (The group of dragon do not have a leader/head)

Thanks foxs1!!

Default Book 7 Chapter 4 - Part 1

Ysabel, Lao Qianbei, DongBin, HPC, Anh, Jaya, Abhay, Sky, Drax, you are welcome. CFT, since I do not have enough qualifications to answer your question, please refer to Xu Xiong and Akolaw's posts. One thing that I can say is that I agree that there is no universal rule which one is bigger/higher in hierarchy. Gai Bang (Beggar Clan) is a gang, yet in terms of size and its standing in Jianghu, it was not inferior to those big Pai (Shaolin, Wudang, etc.) BTW, Akolaw, you were right about Ren Shaoming, I fixed it already.

Book 7 Chapter 4 Meeting Face to Face on a Narrow Path

Gui Xiliang and Xing Rong were forced into a corner, with the latter was wounded in the left arm and blood was still trickling down from the wound; evidently they were at a disadvantageous position.

The other guests, as well as the waiters, were crowding the wall on the kitchen side; everybody appeared to be outraged, but nobody dared to speak up.

As soon as Kou and Xu, two boys entered the hall, two Rain Bamboo Hall disciples guarding the door pointed their finger at them and shouted, You, two small fry, get lost! You have no place to speak up in here.

Seeing an old friend injured, Xu Ziling let out a cold snort and strode forward.

A sword flashed; one of Rain Bamboo Hall men slashing his sword toward Xu Zilings left shoulder.

Xu Ziling had not even reacted, Kou Zhongs leg flew out.

Bang!

The man was kicked heavily that the sword flew off his hand and his body flew backward and crashed heavily on a chair; immediately the sound of splintering wood was heard.

Everybody in the hall was shocked.

The other five Rain Bamboo Hall men were scared out of their wits by Kou Zhongs display of prowess; they all retreated to one side, opening up a gap between the two sides, with each side has received disadvantage from the opponent.

Gui Xiliang and Xing Rong looked at Kou and Xu, two boys in disbelief.

Kou Zhong cupped his fist and said, Gui Xiangzhu, how would you like subordinate to handle these renegades who dared to offend their superior?

A strong and muscular man, who seemed to be the leader of these Rain Bamboo Hall men shouted, What do you mean offending superior? I, Bai Rong, am a Rain Bamboo Hall Xiangzhu, under the order of Tangzhu [hall master] Luo Xian to invite Gui Xiangzhu to have a talk with us. You two are the ones who are offending your superior.

Gui Xiliang looked at the enemy, who were still struggling to crawl up from the floor, and spoke in a heavy voice, Do you need a blade to invite me to talk?

Kou Zhong pointed his finger to Bai Rong and said with a laugh, In this matter, Bai Xiangzhu is wrong. All right! How about we tie them up and wait for Luo Tangzhu to come and be the judge between us, to see whos right and whos wrong.

Bai Rong gave an eye signal, immediately two of his men charged forward, brandishing their saber to hack on Kou Zhong.

This time Xu Ziling let out a cold snort and stepped in front of Kou Zhong. Slapping rapidly to the left and to the right, he pushed the two blades aside, and then taking a step forward he punched the two mens lower abdomen.

The two men were thrown back from the strike, and crashed onto Bai Rong, so that the three of them rolled down on the floor like a gourd, in a very sorry condition. The rest of their men stayed quiet out of fear, and even more scared to make any move.

Gui Xiliang and Xing Rong could only stare blankly with mouth agape. In just a short period of time he was already overwhelmed with a whole new level of respect toward these two boys.

Kou Zhong calmly clapped his hands and said, Well? Do you want to create havoc at the Rain Bamboo Hall and take down Luo Da Tangzhus [big/great hall master] power and prestige? If Gui Xiangzhu does not wish to go, just let us, the two small fry, do it for you.

Gui Xiliang was silent; he signaled Xing Rong with his eyes, and then forcefully pulled Kou and Xu to the street and said, Lets go back to Junshi Mansion first and talk about it.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling knew that he was scared; they had no choice but to smile wryly and come with him.

Like most cities in Jiangnan, the river became the link between Jiangyin City and the four rural areas outside the city; the river also formed the skeleton of the town layout.

The houses along the river were whitewashed, the ones facing the water had their walls and windows reflecting the ripples, painting a fresh and clean artwork like scenery of the patchwork of waterways. Rows of water lanes interspersed with small bridges, small boats carrying people in beautiful silk dress; a touchingly beautiful spring scenery.

Junshi Mansion was originally the Jiangyins provincial military governor mansion, it was located at the town center, the confluence of the river courses. Right in front of the main gate there was a big bridge spanning across the river lining the Junshi Mansion, so that the entire building complex looked even more imposing.

Comparatively speaking, the south was more calm and peaceful than the north. Due to the influx of northerners who fled to the south to avoid calamity, Jiangyin appeared to be even more bustling and flourishing.

In troubled times, it is easily understandable that the common people did not wish to see any changes within the Zhuhua Bang.

Even though Xu Ziling also did not wish to be drawn into this kind of power struggle and territorial dispute, he still felt that he ought to prevent Tieqi Hui, whose evil reputation has spread far and wide, from taking over Zhuhua Bang.

As Gui Xiliang was leading the two boys crossing the bridge, they came across trouble.

Mai Yunfei, another fragrant master who was in guard duty that day, who was also the head disciple of Military Adviser Shao Lingzhou, with a rather handsome and dignified look, as well as an arrogant and conceited individual, stared hard at Kou and Xu, two boys, and said, Shifus order, from now on, no stranger is allowed inside Junshi Mansion.

Gui Xiliang suffered quite a loss of face in front of Kou Zhong, two people; but he was helpless. As a last attempt, he said, These two were disciples of loyal martyr Yan Kuan, who in the past had bravely sacrificed his own life in Yangzhou. In recent years they roamed the Jianghu and have acquired good martial art skill. Just now they had beaten Rain Bamboo Halls Bai Rong until he was in a sorry state; therefore, I was hoping to introduce them to Shao Junshi and recommend them for promotion.

Mai Yunfei condescendingly swept his gaze over the two boys, assuming an understanding look, he shook his head and said, You can do that tonight.

Gui Xiliang helplessly pulled the two boys to the side and said, Let me go inside to see Shao Junshi first, and then Ill come to get you two and take you in.

Xing Rong groaning apologetically and said, Mai Yunfei relies on his position as Shao Junshis first disciple, plus he is Shao Lanfangs lover, so he has always been riding roughshod over people, especially to us, who used to be the late Bangzhus attendants. Sooner or later we will have him fall head first.

Gu Xiliang knew he was not Mai Yunfeis match, so pulling Xing Rong aside he said, Dont talk nonsense, lets go in first and talk later. You two wait for us here.

After the two men left, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling walked over to the rocky beach of the river at end of the bridge; just like in the past, like a couple of marketplace rogues they sprawled on the beach facing the water.

Kou Zhong looked at Mai Yunfei, who was guarding at the other side of the bridge, and said with a laugh, That scoundrel Xiliangs luck does not seem to be too good; originally he had the opportunity to achieve meteoric success in his career, but the Bangzhu was slaughtered by the muddleheaded ruler. And now he is up against Mai Yunfei, whos butting head with him in all aspects, so that even to get inside the Mansion he had his hands and feet blocked. I wonder why would he still want to be this kind of Xiangzhu?

But then he turned excited as he said, Shao Lanfang is the most famous beauty in our Zhuhua Bang; we might as well rob Mai Yunfeis most cherished possession, so that he would die of anger.

Displeased, Xu Ziling said, If you seduce somebody elses lover just for that reason, I will definitely not allow you to do that.

Kou Zhong pulled Xu Zilings shoulder and laughed apologetically, I was just kidding! he said, Xiao Ling, dont take it too seriously.

And then he changed the subject, As a Xiangzhu plus the last disciple of the late Bangzhu, Xiliangs position is not low, on top of that he still has the support of the late Bangzhus direct subordinates. Tell me, do you think he has a chance to be the new Bangzhu? Otherwise, Mai Yunfei would not squeeze him on purpose.

Xu Ziling was lying down, supporting his body with his elbows, enjoying the afternoon sun; hearing Kou Zhong, he was taken aback. Xiliangs skill is too shallow, he said, He is not qualified to be a gang leader, dont pull to the east and lead to the west, you are the one who wants to be the gang leader!

Kou Zhong shook his head and said, I really dont have that desire, plus it wont work. Right now Li Mis power is flourishing, if I became Zhuhua Bangs Longtou [lit. dragonhead, i.e. big boss], there is good chance Zhuhua Bang wont last a few days. But if Xiliang became the new Bangzhu, he only needs to rely on us for support, and then there wont be any difference to me becoming the Bangzhu.

Xu Ziling smiled wryly and said, If you want Xiliang to be the Bangzhu, I am afraid you will have to slaughter the current Junshi and all his cronies clean; are you that formidable?

Kou Zhong looked down on the river water under his feet; he muttered, That is really a bit difficult, but it is not impossible at all. The most important thing is that Xiliang was the late Bangzhus disciple. This guy used to be very gutsy, but perhaps he has been bullied for a long time that he lost his confidence. Hmm!

Xu Ziling spoke in low voice, That Mai Yunfei is coming!

Kou Zhong looked without raising his head; he saw Mai Yunfei, leading four of his men, walking away from the head of the bridge, following the rocky path toward the beach where they sat. Kou Zhong laughed and said, Probably he is angered by Xiliang?

Before Xu Ziling had any chance to respond, Mai Yunfei had already shouted from the distance, You, these two kids, are sitting and lying down in front of the Junshi Mansion like that; whatever next? Quickly go back to the Hall where you belong!

Xu Ziling did not react at all, he was still enjoying the sun with his eyes closed.

Kou Zhong squinting his eyes looking at him and said, Mai Xiangzhu, I was wondering if you are deaf, and did not hear Gui Xiangzhu ordering us to wait for him here? You quickly go back to the place you are supposed to guard.

Mai Yunfeis countenance underwent a drastic change, while the four hunting dogs behind him rushed out to close in on the two boys on the riverbank; very imposing.

Kou Zhong laughed and said, What? You want to fight?

Mai Yunfei was so angry that his handsome face turned green; he gravely said, Stand up!

Still calm and unruffled Kou Zhong said, Since you are not the Bangzhu, and you are not our grandpa, what makes you think you can order us around?

Mai Yunfei could not hold back anymore. Throw them into the river! he bellowed.