Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

013年4月,黄易曾在上海接受南方周末记者3个小时的专访。
    在采访中,黄易不同意武侠小说终结于金庸、古龙的说法。他认为,作为一种甚广的类型小说,武侠 小说还 有无限的可能,等待后来者去挖掘、发现。
    唯独一人不信,那就是我

In April, 13, Huang Yi was interviewed for three hours by reporter of Nam Fong Chou Mu.(Southern Weekend or infzm)
    During the interview. Huang Yi disagree with the saying that Wuxia novels end with Jin Yung and Gu Loong. In his opinion, as a widely inclusive genre fiction, wexia fiction still have infinite possibility, waiting for later person to dig and discover.
    There is one who don't believe, that is me.

我对武侠小说的看法,是可以用一个程式来代替的,就是从平江不肖生、还珠楼主一路到金庸、古龙 、梁羽生、温 瑞安。从他们身上都可以清晰看到武侠小说的传承,而到了金庸可说是一个顶峰,由这个时间开始, 武侠小说就到 了一个前所未见的低谷
    My view on wuxia can be explain by a procedure, that is we can see clearly the transmission of wuxia from Ping Jiang Bu Siu Sang to Wen Chu Lau Chu, to Jin Yung, Liang Yu Sang, to Wen Rui'an. When it come to Jin Yung, it can be said to be the peak, from then on wuxia come to a valley that had never be seen.

note 1,Ping Jiang Bu Siu Sang is the writer of 江湖奇俠傳, the book that start modern wuxia, he start his wuxia fiction in 1923.
    note 2,Wen Chu Lau Chu is the writer of 蜀山劍俠傳(mountain of Zu) is the starter of xienxia, he start his mountain of Zu in 1932.

那时武侠小说真是像被人 判了死刑 一样,但唯独有一个人不相信,那就是我。
    我看《武侠世界》杂志征稿,就写了《 破碎虚空》去投稿。武侠杂志稿费是很少的,都不够我们在学校里吃一餐最 便宜的饭。
    At that time wuxia was really like someone that had been sentenced to death, but there is one who don't believe it and that is me. I saw that the magazine Wuxia World solicit contributions. I wrote Por Sui Hui Hung (Break the void space) and send it to them. Their pay was really tiny, not even enough for the cheapest meal in our school.

Default Book 12 Chapter 5 - Part 1

Ysabel. HPC, Jaya, Spy, Chua, you are welcome. DongBin, maybe ... Akolaw, great! Thanks.

Book 12 Chapter 5 Battle Over The Table

Wanwan, like a fairy, who did not feed on human world smoke and fire, descending from the heavens, elegant and supple, walked over to the three mens table, which was leaning against the corner of the restaurant, and sat down in an easy and relaxed manner on the empty chair between Kou Zhong and Ba Fenghan.

Her beautiful eyes, which aroused wild and fanciful thoughts more than in a dream, swept the three mens faces, until it finally stopped at Ba Fenghans. A faint smile, which was more gentle and natural than a ripple, escaped from the corner of her mouth as she spoke in her sexy contralto voice, Ba Fenghan, how are you? [Reminder: in Chinese, how are you is are you well/good (ni hao).]

Ba Fenghans tiger-eyes flashed with cold light as he swept his eyes around at the staring, bewitched eyes of the other diners, before he suddenly exploded, What are you looking at?

The other diners felt stabbing pain as if their eardrums were pricked with needles; they work up with a start and hastily lowered their eyes.

The waiter, who was about to greet Wanwan, was scared and withdrew.

It was only then did Ba Fenghan turn his eyes to Wanwan, laughed aloud and said, Theres a beauty honoring me with her presence, how could I, Ba Fenghan, be not good? [see my note above]. Only I dont know whether Miss Wanwan has just arrived in town, or whether your lotus self has been around for a while in here?

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling maintained their calm-and-unruffled-in-the-midst-of-chaos bearing; they did not appear to be troubled by Wanwan suddenly paying them a visit. While actually, they focused their attention to hear what Wanwan was going to say in response to the question.

It should be noted that presently the City of Xiangcheng, or any other cities for that matter, was in a tight-security, very high alert situation. Unless one knew some invisibility technique or was relying on brute force to charge into the city, one could forget about sneakily slip into the city without anybody noticing it.

Therefore, if Wanwan replied that she had just entered the city, there was a very high possibility that she was colluding with Xiangchengs city master, plus it was very possible that she was the enemy stalking them in secret outside the city just now.

However, her other answer would be more troubling: how could she, without being a clairvoyant, have predicted that they would come here and thus was waiting for them here?

Wanwans lucid and elegant like a fairys jade countenance was as calm as still water; her gaze slowly swept Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling before her cherry lips spat out the answer, Ba Xiongs question is very odd; under current circumstances, what difference does it make if I arrived here earlier or later? Plus the real problem you are facing right now is actually only one: unless the three gentlemen can fly to the sky to escape, you wont be able to fly off the palm of nujias [lit. woman, humble self-reference by young female] hand. The question you should ask is: why does nujia has time to casually chatting with you?

Giggling, Kou Zhong said, Why you have time to chat, we do not have time to ask. Ha! I almost forget to tell you: we are never afraid of empty-word threat; if you have the ability, bring it on and let me see!

Pfft! Wanwan stifled her tender laugh; her manner looked extremely enchanting as she cast Kou Zhong a sideways thousand-tender, hundred-charm glance and said, You dont seem to have heard the saying, those who come bore ill-will, those who are benevolent dont come

Suddenly Ba Fenghans palm struck the table, jarring the bowls and the plates while cutting her off at the same time. His eyes shot an unprecedented terrifying light as he thundered, Everybody else get lost! I am going to kill!

The diners, waiters and the proprietor were scared sh1tless; they scrambled out in confusion that in the blink of an eye the spacious restaurant was empty except for the four people.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were well aware that Ba Fenghan deliberately created a scene so that the people in the restaurant would notify Xiangcheng authority, so that Wanwans people could not attack them unscrupulously.

Wanwan clearly did not expect Ba Fenghan would use this move; her phoenix-eyes turned cold, obviously her fragrant heart was in fury.

Without looking at her at all, Ba Fenghan said, Cut the crap; let me see how much weigh Zhu Yuyans conceited disciple really weigh.

Throwing his head back, Kou Zhong chuckled loudly and said, If I, Kou Zhong, am not mistaken, just now outside the city it was you, female demon Wan, who followed us around like a hanging-boot ghost. And now you are afraid we might suddenly slip away from the city, hence you came here executing a stalling tactic, all because your helpers have yet to arrive. Am I right?

Wanwan recovered her no-wind, no-wave calm demeanor. Her sparkling-and-translucent-like-superior-jade skin appeared to glow with a hard-to-describe luster; she sighed gloomily and said, You are courting death!

The three immediately knew she was about to attack. While they were about to launch a preemptive attack, the entire table suddenly slid sideways to crush Ba Fenghan.

At the same time Xu Ziling and Kou Zhong sensed that under the table, Wanwans bare feet were flying toward them.

In the split second, as quick as a flints spark, before the edge of the table crashed onto the pit of Ba Fenghans stomach, Ba Fenghans right palm, with unbelievable speed, chopped down on the tables edge.

The solid wood table broke; the two halves of tabletop caved in, but the side closest to Wanwan was sent by Ba Fenghans skillfully applied force that it flew at an angle, aiming toward Wanwans throat.

Bang! Bang!

The two boys separately blocked Wanwans kicks.

They were already wary of Wanwans Tian Mo Gong with its unpredictable changes; therefore, they retained some strength to guard against unexpected follow-up attacks.

Wanwan laughed tenderly; her tender body, along with the chair she was sitting on, flew backward, so that the half the tabletop flew only a hairsbreadth away from the tip of her nose, and failed to inflict the least bit of damage on her.

The plates, bowls and wine cups, which were originally on the table, fell down to the floor.

Crack! Crack! Ba Fenghan and Kou Zhong simultaneously applied their inner power to shatter their chairs and flew backward to dodge two streams of powerful, swift and fierce, wind coming out from Wanwans fingers.

Xu Ziling was still sitting steadily on his chair. While sending out a punch over the empty space, he took advantage while the table was falling to the floor, the tip of his toes caught one of the saucers on their way down and then sending out his spiraling energy, the saucer spun out at an oblique angle with astonishing speed toward Wanwans knee.

If she were hit, it could almost be guaranteed that none of Wanwans kneecap would stay intact.

This close range battle across the table was a hundred times more dangerous than any battle the four of them had ever encountered in all their lives. It was swift beyond comprehension, and was both a battle of strength and a battle of wits, where myriads of changes happened in such a short period of time.

The Beheading Mystery Sword and the Moon in the Well Saber left their scabbards.

Wanwan soared to the air. With the tip of her toes she kicked the saucer shot by Xu Ziling. The saucer immediately changed it direction, with an even faster speed it spun to cut Ba Fenghans face.

With a long laugh Xu Ziling sprang off the chair, made a somersault in the air, and fast as lightning he flew up feet first toward Wanwan, who was about to escape by crashing through the roof.

Kou Zhong also leaped up at an angle, the Moon in the Well turned into a streak of yellow light, shooting straight toward Wanwan.

Ba Fenghan turned his head sideways to evade the splitting-the-air flying saucer, but because of this he was delayed a fraction of a second and thus missed the distinguished meeting of dragon and phoenix in the air.

Wanwan let out a cold snort. As if she was catching butterflies, her palms fluttered in the air, creating thousands of palm shadows, in full display of her formidable Tian Mo Gong.

Almost simultaneously Xu Ziling and Kou Zhong felt as if the space, approximately a zhang in diameter, with Wanwan as the center, suddenly collapsed that they had nowhere to apply their forces.

If it were during the days before they spent ten days in hard training on the mountain, this moment the two boys would be undeniably at a loss, and just like in the battle at Jinglings Duba Mansions garden, they could only withdraw to save their own lives.

However, after ten days of vigorous sparring with Ba Fenghan, the two boys have made tremendous progress, both in terms of knowledge and experience, as well as in skill and power. They knew that if they withdrew right now, Wanwans concentrated Tian Mo Gong would attack Ba Fenghan in full power.

Xu Ziling quickly withdrew his kicking right foot; in a calm and measured manner he drew a small circle, his movement was so perfect as if it was carved by the Heaven, without the jaggedness of a hatchet or a chisel, so that Wanwan, who was in a life and death combat against him, could also feel the mystery of mysteries he exuded.

Like a tornado the spiraling energy rolled out, but it was spinning in the opposite direction, so that the seemingly collapsing space suddenly solidified again, which was then punctured by Xu Zilings scorching vortex of qi, which then continued on toward Wanwans flat, without-an-ounce-of-extra-fat, belly.

Xu Ziling suddenly attained a flash of inspiration; he understood that by using the most innovative move he had ever thought of in all his life, he had penetrated Tian Mo Shen Gongs secret.

Space cant possibly collapse.

Thanks, foxs.

Hmmm .. nice. Thks foxs.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs..

Thanks foxs!

当时出现了黑洞理论,这给我带来全新的世界,去想空间是什么。我把它融入武侠,就是《破碎虚空 》。我不觉得 我是开创的鼻祖,穿越本来就存在,这只是我们对时间的一种反思方式时间是直线的,我们永远 只能在其中一 点上,穿越就是打破这条规律。
    At that time, the theory of black hole comes out, this bring me the whole new world of what space is, I blend it into wuxia, and that is 破碎虚空.Por Sui Hui Hung (Break the void space). I don't feel that I am the founding father, chun yu /pass through (time and space) actually exist. This is only one of the reflection mode we have with time. Time is (like) a straight line, we can only on one of the spot for ever. pass through is to break this rule.

起初我想找《武侠世界》杂志帮我出书。但它说挣不了钱。所有人都不同意我的看法,所以出版社不 肯出版
    At first, I ask the magazine Wuxia World to publish paperback for me, but they say they could not make money out of it, nobody agree to my view, so the publisher turn me down.

我把小说拿给博益出版社,但是老板说新武侠小说完全没市场。他基本上连看都没看,就问我写科幻 小说行不行, 我就用一个星期的时间,写了第一本科幻小说给他。我记得他那时讲的一句话:我要用你这本书去 挑战倪匡。
    I take the fiction to 博益出版社/Boh Yik Publishing Co. But the Boss basically didn't take a look, he say that new wuxia fiction don't have any market, and ask me if I can write acceptable science fantasy fiction, I spend about week and wrote him my first science fantasy fiction. I still remember that he say " I want to challenge Ngai Hong with your book"

note to above section:
    By the time of late 80s, there is no new wuxia that can arouse the market, the once dominated wuxia market was occupied by science fantacy books, lead by Ngai Hong with 衛斯理wesley series as his flagship. Hardcore wuxia reader turn to mangwa/anime wuxia, with Wind & Cloud and Dragon Tiger Gate as the lead. HY 's first sci-fan fiction should be Moon Demon, partly translated in the forum.

Thanks Foxs.

我就开始写了几本科幻小说,卖得挺好,起码不会赔本,而且有点钱赚。我然后问他,肯不肯出我的 武侠小说。因 为他也不希望失去我,所以就出版了《破碎虚空》。结果发觉书卖得相当好。
    So I begin to write several sci-fan fiction, sale was good, instead of losing money, they actually do made some. Then I ask him whether he is going to publish my wuxia fiction. Because he want me to stay, so he published the Pok Sui Hui Hung/breaking the void space. At the end we found that sales was pretty good.
    note: Pok is a 3 book series, originally published in pocket size, claiming 100,000 words each. HY clearly establish yuan wan wuxia in this short fiction.

我还写了一本《荆楚争雄记》,也出了。但我真正要写武侠小说,很长的题材,一集一集出版下去, 出版社不肯冒 这个风险。那我只能开自己的出版社,然后我太太就开始打理黄易出版社有限公司。
    I have wrote another (wuxia), and got published as well. But I really want to write true (traditional) wuxia, with long story, and publish one book after another. The publishing firm does not want to take the risk. (In order to full fill my dream), I can only publish it myself with my own company. So ( I found ) and let my wife manage this " Huang Yi Publishing Ltd."

note to above section: At this time, sci-fan dominate the market, and the popular size of fiction is pocket size, normally 100,000 words a book, and follow wesley lead, and each book is a independent story. As I have say before Wuxia is actually a grow up experience so it is a journey of years, with many event web together, while wesley follow the detective story style, the lead is mysterious and each book is a case.

breaking the void space compose of 3 books and competition of Jing and Chu compose of 2 book. both very short in wuxia standard.

missing in translation:I have wrote another (wuxia)《荆楚争雄记》Competition of Jing and Chu, and got published as well

当时我的稿费收入还不能够维生,但我工作多年,多少也有一些家底,然后就辞职了。本来艺术馆助 理馆长的工作 很好,不大忙,有时间,待遇其实不错。
    My contribution fee at that time was not enough to make a living, but I have already been working for years, and more ore less have some asset. So I quit my job (and become a full time writer). Actually my job as assistant curator of Art Museum was gook, not busy and allow me to have my own time, and remuneration is not bad.