Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks foxs

Long story short, I was reading the en.wiki entry for 王重陽 and saw you mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    That's me doing penance facing the wall for offending the Jade Emperor: stealing glances at Wanwan - a sign of mortal vestiges still lurking in my "pristine'' Dao heart. Need to change my avatar.

(er ... cognoscenti as in ignoramus?)
    About painting, they've English subtitled this 52min documentary, I've time-coded it to begin at 28m30s when 金庸
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs.

Thanks foxs

踏车is an agricultural machine with full name龙骨水车 dragon bone waterlift, two wheels connected by chain(dragon bone), while one peddle the upper wheel to activate the lower wheel.
    上中下叁流, moving up or down or stalling on the river.$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OIP.F-kHz34slFnHDJVj92pM3gEjDW&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95& w=168&h=124')
    Last edited by akolaw; 09-09-17 at 09:55 PM.

DongBin, I had similar thought, but this was not steam-powered, probably closer to what Akolaw posted. Jaya, Ysabel, Sky, HPC, you are welcome. Xu Xiong, thanks for sharing. Akolaw, do you by any chance have an English link to your machine? Xiaohu, sorry to disappoint you, I explain my reason in the other thread. I am taking a short break from this, for my own sake. Story will continue in a few weeks.

As you wish, http://eb-cat.ds-navi.co.jp/enu/tech...3e/163e_21.pdf should give you the detail of the step machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Long story short, I was reading the en.wiki entry for 王重陽 and saw you mentioned ....
    You may get a better appreciation of Wang and his 7 disciples through this book: Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China by Eva Wong - https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Taoist-.../dp/1590301765. It certainly helped me appreciate the Condor series in a different light.

This Tung Pei Sun - such exquisite artwork. I particularly liked the illustrations of the heroes of Red Flower Society. (I think he is behind the TVB's, starring Adam Cheng, adaption of The Book and the Sword). And those sleeping beauties ...!!

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    As you wish, http://eb-cat.ds-navi.co.jp/enu/tech...3e/163e_21.pdf should give you the detail of the step machine.
    Thanks. Fig 4 looks likely the design, maybe with slight modifications.

Here's a link: http://www.cogandgalley.com/2009/10/...eel-ships.html

According to source, paddle ships were invented during late Tang dynasty. Looks familiar?
    Last edited by LuDongBin; 09-11-17 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Paona, you are welcome, I wish him, the Senior, speedy full recovery.
    Thank you as always foxs we have a great community here

So Kou Zhong built paddle-wheel boats to take on castle/tower ships (louchuan)

Could this naval build up be the precursor to the Battle of Baekgang?

<< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_history_of_China >>

Paddle-wheel boats were actually developed by the Chinese independently in the 5th6th centuries, only a century after their first surviving mention in Roman sources (see Paddle steamer), though that method of propulsion had been abandoned for many centuries and [was] only ... reintroduced before the [First Opium] war.

The 'castle ship' design described by Yuan Kang saw continued use in Chinese naval battles after the Han period. Confronting the navy of the Chen Dynasty on the Yangtze River, Emperor Wen of Sui (r. 581604) employed an enormous naval force of thousands of ships and 518,000 soldiers stationed along the Yangtze (from Sichuan to the Pacific Ocean). The largest of these ships had five layered decks, could hold 800 passengers, and each ship was fitted with six 50 ft. long booms that were used to swing and damage enemy ships, along with the ability of pinning them down. << https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louchuan >>

During the Chinese Tang Dynasty (618907 AD) there were some famous naval engagements, such as the Tang-Silla victory over the Korean kingdom of Baekje and Yamato Japanese forces in the Battle of Baekgang in 663. << https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baekgang >>

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Xiaohu, sorry to disappoint you, I explain my reason in the other thread. I am taking a short break from this, for my own sake. Story will continue in a few weeks.
    Never mind, foxs... You can have all break-time you need. One lifetime, two brothers, right? We will be here, waiting.

I don''t know why, but your remark makes me remember Ba Fenghan.
    Last edited by wangxiaohu; 09-11-17 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wangxiaohu View Post
    Never mind, foxs... You can have all break-time you need. One lifetime, two brothers, right? We will be here, waiting.

I don''t know why, but your remark makes me remember Ba Fenghan.
    Hey don't jinx it, Ba Fenghan hasn't returned to date!!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by paonakata View Post
    Hey don't jinx it, Ba Fenghan hasn't returned to date!!! :P
    Paona, dont mean to jinx... but his remark about taking a short break really reminds me of BFH.

Thanks, I'll try nominating my city library to acquire a copy, so more people can perchance access it.

You may get a better appreciation of Wang and his 7 disciples through this book: Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China by Eva Wong - https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Taoist-.../dp/1590301765. It certainly helped me appreciate the Condor series in a different light.
    I'm somewhat enchanted by 李一桐, deciding whether I prefer her portrayal of 黃蓉 the most (how accurate was she directed) ? Looking into what else (less animated, modern setting) she has acted in

And you know, 翁美玲's fate was sadwhich I understood even as a child. Now that I'm older, should I do more to help entertainment-industry folks (especially those I value) ? Problem is I'm not the fan/worshipper type. So, there's work to do if my voice can be heard, reaching the people I esteem.

I may have to retrain to be a professional journalist, critic director, producer.
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 09-13-17 at 03:07 AM.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

..... And you know, 翁美玲's fate was sadwhich I understood even as a child. Now that I'm older, should I do more to help entertainment-industry folks (especially those I value) ? Problem is I'm not the fan/worshipper type. So, there's work to do if my voice can be heard, reaching the people I esteem.

I may have to retrain to be a professional journalist, critic director, producer.
    Yes ... 翁美玲 ... the 1983 TV series - that is almost the bench mark by which all other subsequent series are measured. I particular like 秦煌 Chun Wong's role as Zhou Botong; he flashed out the impish character very well.

By all means, do what you can. Every drop counts. But the realities, behind-the-scenes, of the entertainment world; it has another facade, not easy to penetrate.
    Last edited by LuDongBin; 09-14-17 at 10:01 AM.

hi ppl, its been a while!

thanks for all your work foxs!

I'm sure someone did/posted a character list that should have everyone who showed up into DTSLZ till now, but I cant find it. Does anyone remember/knows where it is?

foxs' translation of Da Tang will be so super (helpful) after they do the next/decent TV adaptation of it.

It may be good how actresses have always interested me into the-story. Because actresses are still of-this-world, whereas characters in anime, manga, computer-games are fantastical, otherworldly.

Do you remember 苗可秀 ?

Yes ... 翁美玲 ... the 1983 TV series - that is almost the bench mark by which all other subsequent series are measured. I particular like 秦煌 Chun Wong's role as Zhou Botong; he flashed out the impish character very well.

By all means, do what you can. Every drop counts. But the realities, behind-the-scenes, of the entertainment world; it has another facade, not easy to penetrate.
    Regarding k1nk4's #5697 question, I tried, stopped then See #2 of Unabridged Thread for

foxs' translation of Da Tang will be so super (helpful) after they do the next/decent TV adaptation of it.

It may be good how actresses have always interested me into the-story. Because actresses are still of-this-world, whereas characters in anime, manga, computer-games are fantastical, otherworldly.

Do you remember 苗可秀 ?

Regarding k1nk4's #5697 question, I tried, stopped then See #2 of Unabridged Thread for
    thanks, I did look the unabridged thread before asking here, and you did mention making a log, but I didnt find the characters list or a link to it there.

I did log the characters being introduced as foxs translated, stopping when researching Chinese spellings of namesI found the completed presentation at https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/大唐雙龍傳角色列表

Simply, my leisure time with this story, I've been inspired into studying its original text, what each word

Everything will be better upon completion.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/China%2C_610.svg/1000px-China%2C_610.svg.png')
    I find you guys quite amazing for having courage of watching those adaptions.

pls tell me if a beautiful girl with a cicada head shows up there.

I remember in Cantonese, 畫公仔唔使畫出腸。Meaning, "when drawing figuratively, there's no need to draw intestines too."

But if you must know, in other words, I realised that listing characters alongside foxs' translation is suitable for someone other than me.

Because, gradually, I've taken to the importance of knowing the exact meaning of Chinese names. Have you looked into the meaning behind 寇仲, 徐子陵, 祝玉妍, 婠婠?

Say, I trust LuDongBin knows what each word in Zhou Botong means. Do many readers understand the significance of 伯通?

And since getting onto the road of learning Chinese, it's leading me away from 大唐。道不同不相為謀。

If since university, an Australian learnt how to speak (Cantonese and write it), I should focus