Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks foxs. Not the fight I was looking forward to but this isn't bad either. BFH's ex is kinda weird though! He sure attracts all the cold ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post

He was speaking in Tujue language, but Ba Fenghan replied in Chinese,
    I believe BFH knows that XZL is following him, so he replies in Chinese.

Thanks Foxs.

Not exactely, but...
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Default Book 15 Chapter 6 - Part 2

Ysabel, Jaya, DongBin, you are welcome. Sky, certainly you did not expect hard battle between BFH and his ex? Xiaohu,
    click to show/hide spoilers
    you are spot on.
    Xu Xiong, thanks for sharing. Here's the end of Chapter 6.

Kou Zhong promptly declined modestly; in his heart his appraisal of Song Jingangs exquisite insight and judgment grew even higher. He could not help asking casually, In that case, your honorable master, hey! Something Khan must be the man with the highest aspiration! But why did he take refuge in Tujue? How could that be a long-term solution?

Song Jingang sighed and said, Even though Li Yuan occupies Guanzhong, he still calls himself a vassal to Tujue, let alone have the Tujue as our neighbor. This is a quick fix. There is no other way.

And then, changing the subject, he said, As far as I know, Li Shimins top strategy is the modification of Sui Dynastys old system. The new policy is a tax system to be known as land tax reconciliation method; roughly two dan [dry volume, approx. 100 liters] for every ding of land, two ya of silk, three tael of cotton, twenty days of military service, for non-military service, three chi of silk for every day; simple and easy to be executed [Translators note: not sure about this part], to get rid of the previous dynastys fraudulent government. This is called far-reaching aspiration, not having his eyes only at the present time.

Kou Zhong was in high alert.

Building the correct political system was his biggest weakness. It seemed like he needed to copy that Li kid in establishing some his mothers seat of government, setting up the political law, or at least give the people far-reaching aspiration impression.

No wonder Shi Feixuan chose the Li kid. His resentment was that he was too late to start, and his knowledge and experience was somewhat lacking.

If Song Jingangs martial art skill was as brilliant as his insight, he must be a first class martial art master.

At the same time, he was puzzled as to why did Song Jingang use Yun Yuzhen to make contact with him? He could not help frowning as he asked, Song Xiong still has not explained why you are looking for me, Kou Zhong. What exactly is going on?

Song Jingang calmly replied his question with a question, Does Kou Xiong wish to regain Jingling?

Smiling wryly, Kou Zhong replied, Of course I want it so badly. But on one hand, there are several other more pressing things to do, plus the situation does not permit me to do so. I have no choice but to wait for some other his mothers day to think about it.

Song Jingang spoke heavily, Military battles demand immediate action; how could you wait for long? Right now the situation is clear, Li Mi and Wang Shichongs decisive battle is imminent, no matter who win who lose, inevitably it will ruin their strength. In this case, if Du Fuwei defeated Li Zitong and acquired Jiangdu, he would be able to follow Yuwen Huajis old route of going up north along the canal. The only difference is that since Du Fuwei has the entire Jianghuai as his backup, he need not worry about the provision would not reach him. At that time, who in the world will be strong enough to contend against Jianghuais elite troops?

Stunned, Kou Zhong said, You seem to be divulging the affair between the Li Family of Guanzhong and the King of Xia Dou Jiande!

As if he was holding the pearl of wisdom in his hand, Song Jingang calmly said, Last time the New Qins Overlord Xue Ju was defeated by Li Shimin, he was seriously considering to rebel, and secretly struck the gong and beat the drums in preparation of a large scale counterattack, but Li Yuan had no time to care about him, he did not even have time to care about whats going on outside the pass, so he had no other choice but to sit and watch Du Fuwei showing off his military strength. As for Dou Jiande, one day he cannot defeat Yuwen Huaji and Xu Yuanlang, one more day he does not dare to recklessly go down south, so he would not lead his troops to attack the Eastern Capital any time soon.

Hearing Yuwen Huajis name, Kou Zhongs eyes flashed with deep, cold murderous intent. Snorted coldly, he said, If Xue Ju attacked Changan, what would Song Xiong do?

Song Jingangs eyes flashed with mysterious light; he smiled and said, Naturally we are going to storm Li Yuans old nest, to break him at his foundation.

Taiyuan! Yun Yuzhen and Bu Tianzhi blurted out at the same time.

Kou Zhong was shaken inwardly; he completely understood Song Jingangs strategy, and gained even more understanding on Song Jingangs out-of-the-ordinary tactics.

This time that Li kid would be in trouble.

※ ※ ※

The sword and the spear collided, Qiang! a sharp and clear noise rang out; the two men suddenly separated.

The rain did not show any sign that it would stop; fine droplets of water floated down continuously above the bamboo forest reaching high to the sky.

Although it appeared that Ba Fenghan was making an all-out effort, the fact was that it was purely to test the water.

Both men were secretly shocked.

Originally, Tuli had confidence that he would be able to beat this rival in love easily, simply because previously he was a notch above Ba Fenghan, plus in recent years he had received quite a bit of pointers from both Bi Xuan and Zhao Deyan, and time and again he made some breakthrough, while he himself never slacked off in his training, so much so that he was even disinterested in women. But when they clashed just now, unexpectedly he was unable to launch a follow-up attack; in just one move, he knew that Ba Fenghan had already completely overtaken him.

Ba Fenghan was also shivering inwardly.

He thought that without the help of the Jade Annulus of He Clan, today he could in no way achieve the desired outcome.

However, right now victory or defeat was still unknown.

Facing the wind, the Beheading Mystery Sword quivered. A strong confidence to press forward welled up in Ba Fenghans heart; immediately a swift and fierce sword qi pervaded the air of the forest within ten zhang of him.

But the tip of Tulis Crouching Eagle Spear swayed, indistinctly sealing off all of his attack route, so that momentarily he did not dare to cross Tulis defense line even for half a step.

Tuli was a rare martial art talent within the Tujue imperial family. He learned the Crouching Eagle Spear Technique after he had mastered the military strategy and tactics, where he developed some kind of extraordinary concept of yin and yang, what is true and what is false, real and imaginary, as well as the mixing and blending of nature and reason.

During the battle in the desert in the past, because Ba Fenghan failed to grasp his spear path, he was stabbed by his spear three times and fell into a blood-soaked and hard-fought-struggle situation.

Tuli showed a faint smile brimming with disdain and mockingly said, Are you scared yet?

Ba Fenghan was unable to conceal his imposing manner as he sneered and said, You, Tuli, have come across then thousand crags and torrents to come to this place, is it just to brandish your spear and play your stick from a distance like that? Its so hilarious that you might kill people from laughing.

Naturally Tuli would not impetuously attack just because of this kind of talk. He laughed coldly and said, Ba Fenghan, you are not an amateur, yet you spoke such an amateurish talk; now whod being hilarious?

The drizzle floated on their faces and their hands, soaking them cold. Ba Fenghan put away his fear and forced himself to step forward; his feet created splotching noise, carrying a strong momentum pressing down toward Tuli.

Tuli roused his qi and slightly moved to the left half a step, the Crouching Eagle Spear in his hands turned into a stream of bright light; fast as lightning he stabbed at an angle. The angle was so ingenious that his stab was one step ahead of Ba Fenghans attack path.

The Crouching Eagle Spear carried a roll of raindrops, increasing his momentum several folds.

Even with Ba Fenghans ability, he was stull unable to anticipate the changes in Tulis move, where he attacked precisely at the moment where he was supposed to defend, and his counterattack was this swift and severe, the spears momentum resembled the nature itself.

Ba Fenghan was forced to adopt a defensive position; he sidestepped and swung his sword to hack on the spears head.

Clang!

Tuli let out a long laughter, while unleashing his spears momentum. In the blink of an eye his spear struck three times in rapid succession, each spear strike was in response to Ba Fenghans attack as well as the changes of his attack path; it was violent without equal.

Ba Fenghan did not yield even for a single step. Qiang! Qiang! Qiang! he successively took the spear strikes head-on, and then the Beheading Mystery Sword turned into a net of light, taking advantage of the precise moment when Tulis hiding-the-sky-and-covering-the-earth violent attack had just passed by.

For a moment the sword light and spear shadow shrouded the two combatants.

The falling rain was aroused by the qi power that water droplets splashed everywhere like a fountain.

Dang!

The tip of the spear struck the blade of the sword.

Both men were unable to continue with their next move; they suddenly separated.

Suddenly there was a clapping.

The two were still staring at the opponent; they did not dare to be distracted.

A man appeared in the pavilion, sitting on the pavilions railing. With a free and leisure laugh he said, Khans breaking-sword spear technique is indeed outstanding, victory is definitely within your grasp. However, in order to save time, why not let me, Li Shentong, join the party? After taking care of this little thief, we can drink together. Wouldnt it be more fun?

Ba Fenghan shivered inwardly.

Li Shentong was Li Yuans younger brother, but in Jianghu, his prestige surpassed that of his elder brother. He was an expert in using the three-pronged halberd, with its myriad of hook, peck, chop, and stab, changes; his name shook the north.

If he ignored Jianghu rules and joined hands with Tuli, Ba Fenghans only way out was to break the siege and run away.

Tuli threw his head backwards and let out a long laugh, To drink together, its not that easy; not today!

Ba Fenghan and Li Shentong were both stunned.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs.

That fight reminded me of the battle in the Chinese movie "Hero" between Jet Li and Donnie Yen. Rain, spear, and sword...just missing the ancient music.

Will XZL make his appearance known soon?

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Perhaps it is my imagination, but the events in Book 15, Chapter 2 and 3 seems to be encapsulated in the Tianjin Bridge poem by Bai Juyi (Book 12, Chapter 11).

Thanks foxs.

Thanks, foxs.

I recall most vividly its core theme of 天下 , more so than its fights.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Chinese movie "Hero"
    Many readers think 天下 too an important theme of Da Tang ?
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Foxs, just curious, when translating, do you often feel curious about where the story going in the next chapters (and then peek at them), or you just read up to the chapter you translated?

Default Book 15 Chapter 7 - Part 1

HPC, Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome. Sky, about the rain I could have sworn that this episode is set in Seattle DongBin, for the foreseeable future, you will see a lot of Tianjin Bridge. Xu Xiong, you are right (about the movie, not sure about Da Tang). Xiaohu, most of the time, I read as I translate. A few times I was really curious of what happened next, but it was rare. When I read ahead, more often it was because I was tired of translating, or the text kind of difficult, so I looked at the text, reading, while thinking how to put those sentences into English. Sometimes knowing what happen next helps in structuring the sentence, or give me better idea what Huang Yi was talking about. The most difficult thing about this particular story is that the author used a lot of sub-sentences. I dare say, ALL the time.

Book 15 Chapter 7 Looking At The Present

Fixing his gaze at Kou Zhong, Song Jingang said, Does Kou Xiong know that you are trapped in dangerous situation?

Kou Zhong inwardly thought that this question was extremely unnecessary, but on the surface he appeared modest and ready to receive instruction, Song Xiong, please advise, he said.

Song Jingang spoke heavily, Without Zaixia saying it clearly, Kou Xiong ought to know that we have close relationship with the Tujues, hence we can also obtain valuable information from them.

More and more Kou Zhong felt Song Jingangs persuasive charm.

In fact, until now, Song Jingang was still skirting around without speaking to the point. But by adding all these leaves and branches, he already generated powerful sense of pressure so that Kou Zhong would feel the need to get close to and cooperate with him.

Obviously the opposite party could see through his intention to contend for hegemony over the world, hence each sentence was able to hit the bulls eye, so that Kou Zhong could not help being moved.

Frowning, he said, Theres one thing Ive always wondered; I heard that the relationship between the Li Clan and the Tujues has always been good, supposing you and the Li Clan fought each other, which side do you think the Tujues will help?

Song Jingang calmly replied, The weak side will receive the help. Does Kou Xiong understand?

The two looked at each others eyes, and both burst out in a knowing laughter.

Holding back his smile, Song Jingang solemnly said, For the sake of the Jade Annulus of He Clan, Kou Xiong has offended Li Shimin. Based on his decisive, steadfast character, he definitely will not let this matter off so easily.

Sneering, Kou Zhong said, What makes him think that the Jade Annulus of He Clan is in my hand? You should know that even the person implicated, Shi Feixuan herself does not dare to ascertain.

That is really strange, Song Jingang said, But Li Shimin indicated to Tuli that he is certain that the Jade Annulus of He Clan is in your hands. And he is extremely wary toward you, Kou Xiong; he stated explicitly that if he could not employ you, two brothers, he had no choice but to cut off feelings of gratitude and loyalty, and have you destroyed. Others may not know the power he holds in his hands, but definitely he cannot conceal it from me. Therefore, I know that Kou Xiong is currently at an extremely dangerous situation.

Kou Zhong was well aware that Song Jingang was telling the truth, because he could not possibly weave this kind of tale.

He thought Li Jing must have really betrayed them; otherwise, how could Li Shimin dare to allege that the Jade Annulus of He Clan was in their hands? Kou Zhongs eyes suddenly shone with murderous intent as he spoke heavily, Do you think the number of people who want to take the head above my, Kou Zhongs neck is lacking? There is no harm in adding him, one person, to that number.

Song Jingang spoke indifferently, I have no doubt that Kou Xiong is a talented man, but how much do you really know about this person, Li Shimin?

Smiling wryly, Kou Zhong said, I was just about to ask Song Xiong for guidance.

Admiring look appeared Yun Yuzhen and Bu Tianzhis faces; to be willing to modestly ask for advice was definitely a big advantage for this kid.

Song Jingang said, I have never met Li Shimin, but I have spent some time in making some inquiries and doing some research on his coming and going since he raised in rebellion at Taiyuan; my conclusion is that this man is decisive and progressive, his determination is far-reaching, and because of his extremely unswerving determination and his expertise in deploying his troops, he is able to use his weakness to eliminate the strong, to seek victory in the midst of danger. He is indeed a rare talent in military affairs.

And then, after looking deep into Kou Zhongs eyes, he said, He never made mistakes; his opinion toward Kou Xiong this time cant be an exception.

His countenance changed, Bu Tianzhi said, Li Shimin came to Luoyang this time, hows his strength?

Kou Zhong cast Bu Tianzhi a surprised look; it appeared that his concern about Kou Zhong was not a fake.

Song Jingang said, As for how many attendants Li Shimin brought to Luoyang, I am not clear. But with him establishing the Heavenly Policy Government, the number of valiant military leaders he obtained is like a cloud; it could be said that his strategic experts are as thick as rain. Clearly this man has a very persuasive charm, he can make the heart of the people turn to him.

After a short pause, he went on, In term of literary aspect, Id say he has the most influential person under his employment, which is Fang Xuanling[1]. This man does not know martial art, but has outstanding knowledge and experience. When Li Shimin was leading his troops to enter Guanzhong, Fang Xuanling happened to go north of Wei River to visit his son, hence he was invited to join the army by Li Shimin. All memorials to the Emperor, military orders, and so on, are being taken care by him single-handedly. Moreover, this man is most adept in drafting a policy, planning military operations, equipment, as well as military provision and weaponry financing; everything are clear and in good order. Although he cannot attack the enemy and achieve victory in the battlefield, he plays a crucial role for either success or failure. If I were to start a war against Li Shimin, I would make a plan to assassinate this man first.

Kou Zhong mused that if another day he was going to go to war against Song Jingang, he must protect Xu Xingzhi; otherwise, if Xu Xingzhi was assassinated by Song Jingang, he would suffer a great loss.

Although until now Song Jingang did not explain why he wanted to see Kou Zhong, but Kou Zhong had more or less guessed the reason.

Song Jingang wanted to exploit Kou Zhongs intimate knowledge of Du Fuweis real situation to help Li Zitong in dealing with Du Fuwei, and so he would easily swing his troops to Taiyuan and advance to Guanzhong.

Naturally Song Jingang also knew that Kou Zhong was not someone who would be easily manipulated by anybody; otherwise he would not waste so much energy in persuading him.

Bu Tianzhi asked, How about the military aspect?

Smiling bitterly, Song Jingang replied, Even if I used up all the fingers on my hands and the toes on my feet, I wont be able to list them all. Within the Li Clan themselves, Li Shentong and Li Shimin, three brothers are the most brilliant. But their real strength actually comes from martial art masters from all sides who attach themselves to the Li Family. Among those, more than a dozen, who, no matter how you look at them, are first class masters, who are known in Jianghu as the Policy Government Upper-class Generals. The leader of these upper-class-general level people is, unexpectedly, a woman. Nobody knows her name. But because her weapon is a red brush, she is known as the Red Brush Lady, without any name.

Kou Zhong was astonished, Is she more formidable than Yang Xuyan? he asked, How come she occupy the leadership position?

Clearly Song Jingang did not know that Yang Xuyan was Li Shimins man; emotionally moved, he asked, How did Kou Xiong know that Yang Xuyan has entered Guanzhong Army?

Kou Zhong mused, Turns out you are not omniscient at all. After explaining briefly, he said, I was wondering if Song Xiong would agree to meet later for further deliberation of this important matter. Right now I must immediately go to the Palace to see Wang Shichong; otherwise he might grow suspicious.

Song Jingang knew he had hooked Kou Zhongs interest; no longer insisted on persuading him, he let him go after they made an appointment to meet at a later date.

※ ※ ※

Ba Fenghan leaped high into the air, and lightly landed on Xu Zilings small boat. Sitting at the bow, he said indifferently, Its time to return the boat to its owner.

A bit embarrassed, Xu Ziling asked, How did you know I was following behind you? Clearly you have never looked back.

Ba Fenghan opened up his hand; turned out he had a small round mirror in his palm.

Only then did Xu Ziling understand. Ba Fenghan asked, Did you hear everything?

Xu Zilings handsome face blushed slightly; while his hand was busy rowing, he replied, I thought you were going to converse in your native language, who would have thought that you were speaking Chinese. Hey! I am sorry!

Ba Fenghan nodded, I was speaking Chinese for your sake, he replied, Sometimes womens hatred caused by love is more terrifying than severe floods and fierce beasts; the biggest problem is that no matter what, you wont have the heart to deal with her ruthlessly. I originally thought that she was so young, so she ought not to take everything so seriously. Now I know I was terribly wrong. Oh! Watch out!

Xu Ziling already heard the sound of a boat cutting the waves; hastily he rowed the small boat to the side.

※ ※ ※

A boat rapidly sailed past; the man handling the boat did not look significantly different from any local Luoyang man.

The two mens eyes lit up at the same time.

Did you smell it? Ba Fenghan asked.

Xu Ziling replied confidently, Herbal medicines smell.

Both men remembered Shangguan Long immediately.

Xu Ziling put the oar into the water, while in his heart he apologized to the original boat owner, because he needed to borrow the boat a bit longer.

※ ※ ※

[1] Fang Xuanling (579-648), Tang Dynasty historian, compiler of History of Jin Dynasty.

Thanks, foxs.

is that it? how about the fight with Tuli? and Li ShenTong?

Thanks foxs

Thanks Foxs

Thanks foxs!

Red Brush is coming, again another young lady that is a better martial artist than her male counter part.

So, why is that, does it mean in HY's opinion woman are better fighter (at least in top class, or my personal ranking tier one)
    Nope, the three grand master are all male. so what is the logic, or is there any logic, sure there is but HY did not openly spell it out.