Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

"The online translation site I've been using www.cojak.org/ (which, firstly, helps me with the Cantonese sound of a word, secondly, order of brush strokes to its spelling) has been down for a few days. When and if it comes back, there's a 70% chance I might make a translated record of my favourite passages from Da Tang"

Xu Xiong, Cojak is back online.

Default Book 21 Chapter 6 - Part 1

Xiaohu, like Tail and Paona said, why become bloodthirsty all of a sudden? Whats going on here? DongBin, Zhouyu, read on Ysabel, HPC, Jaya, you are welcome. Paona, are you trying to butter me up?

Book 21 Chapter 6 Revenge of a Sword

Extremely shocked, Xiang Yushan moved aside, the dagger in his hand stabbed as fast as lightning, ruthlessly and maliciously.

Xu Ziling spun around abruptly, his sleeve flew out, generating a bust of powerful vortex of qi, to force the other people to stagger and tumble down. Only then did he calmly stretch out his finger to meet the blade of the dagger.

All his anger and resentment were vented in this one finger attack.

Xiang Yushans dagger was jolted off his hand, while he himself was thrown away, his back slammed onto the courtyards west wall, blood seeped out of his eyes, ears, mouth and nose.

Like a shadow attached to Xiang Yushan, Xu Zilings hand moved at lightning speed to grab the clothes at the pit of his stomach, and lifted him up so that Xiang Yushan was floating a few cun above the ground, while his back was pressed against the wall. Seeing their master was under the enemys control, his men did not dare to attack.

Ziling, dont!

Yun Yuzhens scream came from behind.

Xu Ziling looked like a deity; the might in his eyes radiated all around, but he fixed his gaze into Xiang Yushans eyes. Without looking back, he shouted, Shut up!

The meridians in Xiang Yushans entire body was under Xu Zilings control, luckily he was still able to talk. Hastily he said, Xu Dage, please listen to Xiaodi, this is simply

Xu Zilings internal energy penetrated his body, Xiang Yushan immediately lost the strength to talk, his face turned deathly grey.

Xu Zilings pair of tiger-eyes shone with deep hatred. He spoke slowly, word by word, In vain we regarded you as a brother, turns out you harbor evil intentions from the start. If you want to deal with us, give me all you got! Why did you use despicable trick to harm the innocent, kindhearted Su Jie?

Standing about a zhang behind him, Yun Yuzhen spoke with trembling voice, Susu contracted a foul disease on her own, it has nothing to do with Yushan.

Xu Ziling let out a laughter brimming with sorrow, and then he said coldly, How did Su Jie contract the disease? Dont worry! I am going to take only half a revenge today; Ill take half of his life, and leave the remaining half for Kou Zhong. Yun Bangzhud better hide far away, because Kou Zhong is not going to let anybody who harmed Su Jie away.

Finished speaking, he soared to the sky.

Xiang Yushans body, from head to toes, shook violently and slid down along the wall, and slumped on the ground.

Shouts sprang up everywhere; the martial art masters of Baling Army, including Xiao Xian, who had just heard the news, rushed over and tried to pursue him, but they were one step too late. Xu Ziling took a breath in the air and flew sideways toward an empty spot, and disappeared in the darkness.

Yun Yuzhen rushed toward Xiang Yushan, who was still trembling incessantly. How do you feel? she asked anxiously.

Distressed, Xiang Yushan replied, He is very ruthless! I was beaten back to my original condition, the vile injury I suffered before the two of them healed me.

Yun Yuzhen immediately felt her scalp turned numb. This was the first time she realized Xu Zilings true power. This technique was many times more difficult than when the two boys treated and healed Xiang Yushans injury in the past.

※ ※ ※

After three days of discussing the plan to attack Donghai, the Shao Shuai Army already gathered at Xiapi secretly prepared the gongs and tightened their drums, in preparation for going into war.

This morning, Kou Zhong, accompanied by Xuan Yong and Jiao Hongjin, inspected their weak navy, which only consisted of five comparatively big warships. Climbing aboard one of the ships, Kou Zhong pointed to the sail and said, Naval battle rely mainly on fire, but fiery arrows are too powerful; when shot against the sail, they would pass through the fabric completely, oftentimes they failed to burn it. But if on the arrows body we add a cross-shaped stick, the arrows can then stay attached on the sail, and will burn it without leaving anything.

Everybody agreed that was a good idea.

Jiao Hongjin submitted cheerfully; he said, Such a simple method, yet we never thought about it. Shao Shuais brains indeed surpass ordinary men.

Kou Zhong inwardly replied that it was Lu Miaozis brain that surpassed ordinary men! But naturally he would not reveal it; laughing cheerfully, he said, There are more formidable gadgets, more formidable that fiery arrows; its some kind of secret projectile to light a fire, but it relies on the strength of the hand throwing it. Its called Fire Flyer and Catcher!

Being a layman in naval warfare, Xuan Yong asked in astonishment, What is that?

Kou Zhong said, Its like a big wooden firecracker, shaped like a wooden club [used to beat clothes in washing], using a knife, make a hole from the top, and fill it with firecracker, fireworks gunpowder, carve seven or eight holes all around so the fire can go out, and then add some nails so that it will stick onto any hard surface; wrap the outside with oilpaper to make it waterproof. When facing the enemy, ignite the fuse, throw it by hand, either high onto the sail, or low onto the deck; guaranteed the enemy will be burn that they will only know how to shout for help.

Xuan Yong and Jiao Hongjin were emotionally moved.

This moment the three climbed up the steps onto the lookout station. Kou Zhong cast his gaze to the east, took a deep breath, and said, Donghai County is a big county on the waterfront, the defenders must be adept in naval warfare, and their size must be more than we can handle. Therefore, if we appear to be stupid enough to launch an all-out naval invasion, Li Ziyun and Tong Shuwen would have their whole nest come out to fight us. At that time, these tricks of ours can be out to good use!

Xuan Yong and Jiao Hongjin suddenly saw the light; now they understood why Kou Zhong wanted to inspect their deficient naval fleet.

Smiling ruefully, Kou Zhong said, Our navy ships are going to be used as sacrifice. Ha! It ought to be the time to look for that fellow Li Xingyuan.

※ ※ ※

After catching up with Bu Tianzhi, Chen Laomou, and the others, Xu Ziling did not speak even half a word, all day long he sat in the hearse to accompany Susu, who was soaked in chemical to preserve her body, only occasionally he looked at the other carriage where little Lingzhong was being taken care of by a maid and a wet nurse.

Every time he saw the child, who has lost his mother, his heart was bleeding.

Susus tragic ending, he and Kou Zhong must take full responsibility. Feeling of sadness, despair, guilt, and remorse, like surging tides violently eroded away the reef of the cliff of his heart, making him extremely miserable.

Extreme loss and anguish made him really want to drown his sorrows in wine, but he knew that he must pull himself together to deal with any danger in the future.

The dead cannot be brought back to life; it didnt matter how grieved and indignant he was, he would never be able to change the ironclad reality.

It was not until they reached the Huai River and boarded the three Jukun Bang warships waiting for them there that his heart started to calm down.

After setting sail, it was only the following evening that he leave the cabin where Susus remains was kept, for the first time, and headed toward the aft, where he stood against the wind to think silently.

Thick and dark clouds were hanging low in the sky, several hanya birds [Eurasian jackdaw] were circling above the forest by the riverbank, emitting their mournful cry, adding to his sorrow.

Bu Tianzhi emboldened himself to come behind him. Deeply concerned, he said, Nobody can escape death! The most crucial thing for Ziling to do is to restrain your grief, and accept fate; dont be excessively sad that it will harm your body. The bad influence will be difficult to fix.

Forcing himself, Xu Ziling spoke hoarsely, I really wish I could leave this place far, far away, where nobody knows me, where I dont need to think about anything, and can forget everything that has happened.

Bu Tianzhi sorrowfully said, I understand Zilings mood, but running away is not the solution. Nobody exempts from grim, painful experience. Perhaps after a long time it will be forgotten, but to some extent, there will always be some traces that cannot be obliterated completely. Life is always like this!

Xu Ziling recalled Shi Feixuans story about the alchemist who concocted pills of immortality. Smiling ruefully, he said, I am not running away, I just want to pursue my dream. Once, Ba Fenghan told me: in the western region, there is an endless grassland and great desert, with extreme hot and cold weather, mountains and creeks that are frozen all the year around, boundless sparkling sea of sand, so that when you set foot on those strangest places in the world, alone, you will feel that there is nothing outside of you. The nature will make you forget everything, including yourself.

After a short pause, he continued with a sigh, Mans heaviest burden is himself, that one thing, me!

A chilling wet wind blew from the direction of the bow, brushing the two mens clothes, creating fluttering noise. Naturally Bu Tianzhi had no idea that Xu Ziling was recalling the story of the servant of the man concocting pills of immortality. His way of thinking was far below Xu Zilings deep and penetrating mind. Momentarily he did not know what to say.

Thanks foxs..
    I once accidentally infected myself with an icy venom while practising Han Bing Mian Zhang. Since then, I became bloodthirsty.
    Last edited by wangxiaohu; 08-18-17 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Xu Xiong, Cojak is back online.
    Thanks, I was checking regularly, depressed that it wasn't back

My records show that nearly 2 years ago (on 09-25-15) I had asked foxs and received his blessing to start a "complementary" Da Tang Thread of

Never mind the delay, I'm better suited for starting nowas a contribution back to SPCNET and

I'll focus on initiating it.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Thanks, I was checking regularly, depressed that it wasn't back My records show that nearly 2 years ago (on 09-25-15) I had asked foxs and received his blessing to start a "complementary" Da Tang Thread of Never mind the delay, I'm better suited for starting nowas a contribution back to SPCNET and I'll focus on initiating it.
    Wonderful. Looking forward to your efforts!

Xiang Yushan is still alive? What a way to prolong the reader's agony. Xiaohu, sorry no blood yet. Thks foxs.

wow, new update. Thanks foxs.

Default Book 21 Chapter 6 - Part 2

Xiaohu, Xiang Yushan, I can understand, but the ladies? What did they do to you? Ysabel, HPC, you are welcome. Xu Xiong, DongBin, honestly, I don't remember ... Chua, another one ...

Fortunately, Xu Ziling changed the subject by asking, Is Fu Bangzhu [deputy gang leader] ready to formally break your relation with Yun Yuzhen?

Letting out a cold humph, Bu Tianzhi said, A person who disregards benevolence and righteousness like that is not qualified to be our Bangzhu. Hereafter we are going to follow Kou Ye to conquer the world, to do some big thing.

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, All along I feel that Yun Yuzhens innate character is not as unbearable as this. Hence, although I clearly had the opportunity to kill her that day, in the end I could not be that ruthless. However, I can see that Kou Zhong is not going to spare her.

Bu Tianzhi sighed and said, These past couple of years, she suddenly became very difficult to endure; otherwise we would not have any intention of leaving.

Puzzled, Xu Ziling said, Could it be that she is influenced by Xiang Yushan?

Bu Tianzhis eyes shone with strange expression; instead of answering, he asked, Ziling, what do you think of this Passionate Prince Hou Xibai?

Taken aback, Xu Ziling asked back, Do you think the problem lies in him?

Bu Tianzhi sighed and said, This is just my suspicion, I cannot prove it. Its just that after a chance encounter with him, Yun Yuzhen seems to be beside herself, her temperament underwent huge changes. In Jianghu, people who roll about in the thicket of flower and moon, who idle about like Hou Xibai can be found everywhere. But someone who keeps himself pure like him, who consider himself emissary to protect the flowers, whose martial art skill has reached that kind of brilliant stage, whose origin and history remains a mystery, he is the only one. Do you think I shouldnt doubt him?

Xu Ziling shivered inwardly.

He was well aware that his greatest weakness was that in everything, he was always thinking about the benefit; unlike Hou Xibai.

Bu Tianzhi mused, To be able to train first-class martial art skill to that stage, one must have aspiration and unswerving determination, to keep on fighting in spite of all setbacks, and ideally is one with ambition. Hou Xibai is able to have todays achievement, the conduct and character he currently displays is not something that can be pursued. Outside appearance and inner reality differ, he is extremely secretive and dangerous.

Xu Ziling nodded and said, Zhi Shus insight is very original, I will remember it. Ba Fenghan has also had his suspicion; he asked him about the material used to make his Fan of Beauty. Its just that at that time I did not think about it too much. But now, thinking back, I do feel there is a problem somewhere.

Bu Tianzhi said, One time Chen Gong [honorable gentleman] guessed that the one he wanted to deal with is Shi Feixuan, but upon further consideration, it does not seem so. Because he is showing his passion everywhere, any woman would think that this kind of man is difficult to grow old together with.

The Chen Gong he was talking about was Chen Laomou.

Knitting his brows, Xu Ziling said, When Zhi Shu said dealing with, are you referring to capturing Shi Feixuans fragrant heart? Is that unlikely?

Bu Tianzhi spoke heavily, This man is extremely heretical, we must in no way recklessly ignore him. Besides, until today, Hou Xibai is the only young man obtaining the honor of roaming the world together with Shi Feixuan. Supposing Hou Xibai indeed turns out to be what we fear, he must have come from a demonic school, an outstanding martial art master of the new generation of the demonic school.

Distressed, Xu Ziling said, I really dont understand why there are people in the world who specialize in doing bad things. Even those extremely vicious and utterly evil big bandits must have various reasons to justify their conducts; they cant possibly do bad things because they are bad.

Bu Tianzhi said, I think people from demonic school did not think that what they are doing is offending Heaven and reason. Most likely it has to do with how they cultivate their skill, or perhaps it is related to their belief and creed, so that differences like Ci Hang Jing Zhai and Yin Gui Pai exist.

Xu Zilings eyes flickered brightly; he nodded and said, Whether Hou Xibai is righteous or evil, I still have to warn Shi Feixuan to be careful.

A gust of strong wind blew, followed by raindrops. Huai River turned into boundless haze.

After heaving a sigh, Xu Ziling spoke in low voice, Why dont Zhi Shu go back and have some rest? I still want to stay here a bit longer.

※ ※ ※

Seven warships departed from Xiapi, sailing along the Mu River toward Muyang.

Kou Zhong was standing on the bridge of the command ship. He exuded the aura of the king of the world. Although the Little Lu Bu Jiao Hongjin standing by his side was also tall and mighty, with valiant build, in side-by-side comparison, he could only assume the tree peonys green leaf role [i.e. supporting actor].

It was not solely due to Kou Zhongs particular body build and personality traits, but because he was standing as stable as the mountain, deep-pavilion, highest-peak posture and the lightning-like and perpetuity of his penetrating gaze, as well as the strong confidence he conveyed.

In the eyes of the generals and soldiers under his command, he was not only the Commander-in-Chief who triumph in every battle, but also an invincible, matchless-under-the-heavens saber expert. These two views added together, this Shao Shuai became like a deity who received respect and adoration from his men.

At a glance, the ships seemed to be full of troops. The fact was that every ship only carried about a hundred men, for a total of less than a thousand. Since Luo Qifei made contact with Li Xingyuan three days ago to inform him about the plan to advance toward Donghai, the Shao Shuai troops stationed at Xiapi were subjected to fake mobilization to deceive the eyes and ears of the enemy. The real combat force was actually the one thousand strong light cavalry under Xuan Yongs command, plus Luo Qifeis squad of intelligence gatherers. The rest of the force, Kou Zhong included, was only putting on an act of attacking on this unable-to-withstand-a-single-blow navy fleet.

The morning sun ahead was slowly rising, the earth was brimming with vigor and vitality. On both sides of the river, there were cultivated fields everywhere, and rippling green open space as far as the eye can see.

Kou Zhongs mind seemed to be flying over the scene in front of his eyes, to an unknown distant place. Suddenly he asked, Do you think Tong Shuwen is going to fall into the trap?

Jiao Hongjin thought for a moment before replying, In term of military power, Donghai County has a navy fleet of thirty big battleships, their total strength is several thousand more men than ours, plus we are out of our base, in a military expedition, hence we do not have the advantage of familiarity with local terrain. It all depends on Li Xingyuan, this unreliable bamboo guide for the blind. If I were Tong Shuwen, even if I knew that this is a feign attack, I would be happy to deliver a frontal assault.

Kou Zhong nodded and said, Well said! Therefore, our chance of victory this time is entirely in seeking victory in the midst of danger. Other than perfect coordination between our ambushing troops and the scouting troops, the most important aspect is the selection of the ambushing position, and when the time comes, the usage of secret weapons to face the enemy. As long as we can break the Donghai Countys navy fleet, we will be able to paralyze the agility of the Li Army of Donghai County. Not only they would not be able to provide assistance to Muyang speedily via the waterway, their coastal defense will also crumble, which will enable us to seal off Donghai city from both the water and the land routes. Ha! At that time, Li Ziyun and Tong Shuwen can only kneel to beg for mercy.

Jiao Hongjin secretly heaved a sigh of relief, glad that he was not Kou Zhongs enemy.

Any superior commander, even Li Mi, Li Shimin, Du Fuwei, Dou Jiandes caliber, would have battle style that was always traceable. For example: Li Mi loved to use deceit and decoy; Li Shimin used both carrot and stick, and was an expert in grasping the situation, in using defense for offense. Du Fuweis Jianghuais Army come and go like the wind, using battle to support battle.

But Kou Zhongs battle style was completely without any set method; irresolute like a heavenly steed soaring across the skies [fig. unconstrained in style (calligraphy)], leaving the enemy completely without any way to assess, conventional and subtle, and extremely daring, so that others could only be amazed and admit his ingenuity.

Such an opponent, who did not feel intimidated?

Kou Zhong shook his head and said with a laugh, If my guess is correct, the enemy ought to wait for us around the river section after Muyang, but before we go out to sea. At that time Li Xingyuan would break our troops retreat route, and then we would end in total annihilation. However, I also think that it would be best if Li and Dongs entire nest come out and setup massive military force on both sides of the river, then not only we can easily detect the correct position of their interception, we could also destroy the enemys main force at a stroke. That would be ideal!

Jiao Hongjin nodded his head in agreement.

On the surface, their plan was to advance toward Donghai from both the land and the sea, with Muyang as the support. After the navy went out to sea, they would coordinate with the Shao Shuai Army traveling on land, plus Li Xingyuans Muyang Army, to put Donghai under heavy siege.

But beneath the surface, it was a different matter altogether.

Revealing a smile brimming with confidence, Kou Zhong reached out to grab Jiao Hongjins shoulder. He sighed and said, Perhaps by the evening of the day after tomorrow, we can drink victory wine inside Donghai City!

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Xiang Yushan is still alive? What a way to prolong the reader's agony. Xiaohu, sorry no blood yet. Thks foxs.
    Nevermind Dongbin... The longer he suffered in agony before death, the happier I am.

Foxs, no, not the beauty.. I only meant Xiang Yushan and his men.

Suddenly miss Shen Luoyan...

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks for all the updates fox!

Very sad to read about Susu's death. Was never a fan of the character but i did want a happy ending for her. R.I.P Susu!!

XZL left Xiang and Yun for KZ to deal with. Between the two of them, KZ will not have any mercy.

I want to know more about Hou Xibai. He sounds interesting!

Thks foxs.

Thanks foxs

Default Book 21 Chapter 7 - Part 1

Xiaohu, but your comment was posted when we were talking about the beauties. Jaya, DongBin, HPC, you are welcome. Sky, I am not sure about that guy. Up to this point, we don't know yet whether he is a good guy or a bad guy.

Book 21 Chapter 7 Fierce Battle in River and Lake[1]

Little Lingzhong was playing on the velvety cotton-padded mattress setup in the living area of his cabin, under the care of the young maid and the wet nurse, continuously squealing in delight. Sitting in the corner, Xu Ziling watched with a smile on his face, but his heart was actually wringing in pain, his breathing was ragged.

Fortunately, Bu Tianzhi arrived this moment. The two men climbed the spiral staircase toward the bridge.

Bu Tianzhi said, We received the latest intelligence: Zhong Ye has assumed a title for himself Shao Shuai, the generals and soldiers under his command is called Shao Shuai Army, more than ten days ago they captured Xiapi, and also destroyed Ku Ges Khitan group of horse-mounted bandits. The cities and villages formerly attached to Xu Yuanlang or Li Zitong have pledged allegiance to him. Now in Shandong, other than Donghai, everything else has become Shao Shuai Armys territory. Zhong Ye indeed did not disappoint our expectation.

Xu Ziling inwardly thought that Kou Zhong has finally spread out his might. It seemed like in the world, other than Li Shimin, Du Fuwei, Dou Jiande, Liu Wuzhou, and Xiao Xian, these several particularly outstanding military leaders and hegemons, the rest would find it difficult to be his opponent. Is he still in Xiapi now? he asked.

That is a big possibility, Bu Tianzhi replied, Therefore, we are thinking of changing course, to follow the Huai River going east, after passing Hongze Lake [in Jiangsu] and Chengzi Lake, we turn north to Si River, and then after Huaiyang we can reach Luoma Lake. Xiapi is located northwest of Luoma Lake. If he has returned to Liangdu, we can make sharp turn to the west.

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, This way our journey will be two days farther, plus we have to break through that section, Zhongli City. Are you sure?

Bu Tianzhi smiled and said, Li Zitongs navy has always been weak, time and again they are thwarted by Du Fuwei, so we need not be afraid. Plus we have always had business deal with him, he ought to give us a bit of face.

Hows Xiao Xians relationship with him? Xu Ziling asked.

Bu Tianzhi replied, Xiao Xian has been secretly supporting Li Zitong, his objective is to drag Du Fuweis hind legs. But Ziling need not worry that Li Zitong would become Xiao Xians hunting dog, because at most Li Zitong is only a dog who does not have time to take care of himself, and not a very competent one. Although our strength is a trivial three warships, our performance exceeds his, plus we have our martial art masters at the helm. Zhonglis navy may roar like a tiger, enough to scare merchant ships or fishing boats, but they cannot stop us.

Under normal circumstances, Xu Ziling did not need to consider his own safety, but for the sake of little Lingzhongs safety, also to avoid Susus remains to be disturbed, he had no choice but to be cautious.

After asking Bu Tianzhi further about all kinds of contingency plans, he finally set his heart at ease and nodded his agreement.

By dusk that day, the ships arrived at Zhongli. Contrary to Xu Zilings expectation, Zhonglis navy did not give them any trouble at all; they simply let them swagger away.

Trouble came when they reached Hongze Lake.

※ ※ ※

The fleet of ships slowly turned a bend and enter a straight section, where the river suddenly narrowed, and the stream became rapid.

Kou Zhongs command ship was at the front; he and Jiao Hongjin were standing on the bridge, fixing their eyes on the river ahead.

Following the setting sun, the earth gradually grew dim.

Half a sichen ago, they sailed pass Muyang, and entered what Kou Zhong thought to be the most dangerous section of the river. Three more sichen, and then they would reach the ocean. Sailing to the north along the coastal area for another sichen or so, they would arrive at Donghai City.

At Muyang, the fleet made a short stop, where Li Xingyuan came aboard the ship to discuss the grand plan to attack Donghai City. After a bit of mutual deception, the fleet continued their journey at double speed.

Jiao Hongjin spoke in low voice, This river is unreasonably quiet, not even a single fishing boat is in sight. This is the time when the fishermen are rushing home from their day catching fish on the sea.

On their left they saw lantern light blinking at certain pattern, a certain sign that the enemys navy in some kind of deployment, but they did not come forward to issue any challenge like originally expected.

Jiao Hongjin and Kou Zhong looked at each other. They both felt that something was not right.

Kou Zhong swept his gaze around; he asked, What kind of place is ahead?

Jiao Hongjin replied in heavy voice, About four li ahead is Du Long Xia [poisonous dragon gorge]; both side of the gorge are steep mountains, the cliff along the river is full of reefs, the river becomes a rapid. But General Luo has already dispatched his men to lie in wait over there. If the enemy has any arrangement, they cant possibly deceive our eyes and ears.

Shaking his head, Kou Zhong said, The situation is very bad; we must have underestimated that fellow, Tong Shuwen.

Frowning, Jiao Hongjin said, Since they are not going to ambush us ahead, and their navy did come out to challenge us into battle, how are they going to deal with us?

With a grave expression Kou Zhong said, It is precisely because we cannot see through their arrangement that we feel something is very wrong.

He issued an order, the ship cast its anchor.

Jiao Hongjin spoke in low voice, Could it be that we wronged Li Xingyuan? Perhaps he really wanted to take refuge in us.

Kou Zhong resolutely said, I definitely did not misjudge this person. Hey!

Following his example, Jiao Hongjin turned his head around to look; in the dim twilight, the other six navy ships were slowing down, following the command ship, ready to cast their anchor. The river looked calm and peaceful.

Kou Zhong suddenly laughed and said, Oh my God! This time our navy ships are done for!

※ ※ ※

Battleships covered the Hongze Lake like the cloud; tense atmosphere permeated the air.

Under cover of the starry sky, this fourth largest freshwater lake in the Central Plains appeared to be extending forever into the distance. More than a dozen hostile warships appeared on the surface of the lake in fan-shaped formation, so they have the potential to close in and surround them.

The biggest distinguishing feature of Hongze Lake was that there were reeds everywhere, practically covering the entire lake, so lush and flourishing that it was difficult for boats to sail on it. Furthermore, the bottom of the lake was shallow and flat, with muds sloping up and down. The maximum depth was no more than two zhang, average depth was only within 10 chi; therefore, even if one dived into the water to flee for his life, it would still be difficult evade the enemys powerful arrows.

The enemys move was obviously a deliberate, well-planned operation.

It was at this point they finally understood why the Zhongli Citys Li Army easily let them pass, because once they reached this place, they could only be involved in a chaotic warfare on the vast, boundless flat lake. Furthermore, with multitude enemies, few friends, if they could not hold their ground, they would not be able to leave the water, go to the shore and escape on land. This was a carefully laid trap targeting Xu Ziling, a top quality martial art master.

Shaken, Bu Tianzhi said, Unexpectedly they are Da Jiang Hui [great river society] ships [See Book 7 Chapter 1].

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, Are they under the Da Jiang Huis Dragon Lord Pei Yue and the Tiger Lord Pei Yans leadership, and not under Zheng Shuming-led Changjiang Lians [Yangtze River Alliance]?

In the past, he and Kou Zhong left Shuang Long Bangs [twin-dragon gang] thief nest hauling salt into the Yangtze River, when Pei Yan, in company with Wang Bos son, the Thunder Saber Wang Kuijie, clipped their tail and pursued them. It was entirely by relying on thick, black smoke that they were able to get away. Unexpectedly they met again today.

This moment Chen Laomou came to Xu Zilings other side and answered his question, They are precisely the Snake and Dog Two Lords who wont shrink from any crime; I never thought they would be foolish enough to take shelter under Li Zitong, who is on his way downhill. It is really hard to believe.

Bu Tianzhi shook his head and said, These two lowly men are snobbish; the one they are relying on is Xiao Xian. Humph! Lets give them a tough battle.

Xu Ziling asked, Can we release black smoke to confuse the enemy and then wait for the opportunity to escape?

Chen Laomou shook is head and said, The wind is too strong, plus on the lake, releasing smoke screen is just a waste of energy and manpower.

And then, waving his hand, he shouted loudly, Brothers! Prepare for battle!

Immediately battle drums shook the heavens, the sound reverberated far and wide.

※ ※ ※

Kou Zhong whispered in Jiao Hongjins ear, Look at the hull of our ship where it contacts the water.

And then he shouted loudly, Continue to sail, the slower the better!

Jiao Hongjin focused his attention to look; severely shaken, he said, Oh my god! Someone play a trick on our ship.

He saw that the hull immersed in the water was daubed with kerosene; without even asking, he knew that it must have happened near Muyang somewhere, some people dumped kerosene on the river, so that when the ships passed through, they would be stained with kerosene.

Jiao Hongjin said, If this is Sichuans kerosene, it will burn even after entering the water, and it cannot be extinguished by pouring water on it. This is indeed a very formidable trick.

Kou Zhongs entire body relaxed; he laughed and said, The most formidable aspect is that after we fell into the trap, we still foolishly unaware, let alone a fleet of Donghai navy must be hiding in a tributary near Muyang, ready to pursue and catch our tail. Our plan must go different direction. Ha! Prepare to abandon the ship!

※ ※ ※

[1] The term Jianghu (river and lake) has always been used to describe martial art world; more specifically the wanderers, itinerant entertainers, swindlers, etc. But in this case the battle did happen on a river and a lake, hence I opted to translate it the way it is.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs...

Thanks, foxs.