Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you enjoy dgsd?

Default Why did you enjoy dgsd?

天龙八部(dgsd) is one of jy's more popular books. The novel itself has novelties - it features 3 protagonists; it has the most characters; it has some of the most whacky and powerful characters in the entire jy canon.
    however, just like many other novels, it has the same weaknesses - contrivations, some loose ends, and a strong by theme where the orthodox are ironically those that worsen rather than help situations.

we all browdly know why it's different but specifically, why do you like it (or not like it?) compared to other novels? What part did you like or not like best?

I have indicated these opinions before. So pardon me for repeating, repeating and repeating.
    I do not read the novels. So what I will be saying is based on the TV adaptations.

First, I do not really like the early TV adaptations of DGSD. This is because DY did not marry Mu Wanqing though he always promise too in all the TV adaptations. Worse still, in all adaptations, he did not marry Mu Wanqing though he learnt that he could as they are no longer step siblings. Forgive me for my traditional thinking. A promise needs to be fulfilled.

And thanks to JY for making the change in the third novel.

The novelties as you mention. It marked the beginning of a new era for JY - the so-called late stage novels that brought new ideas. Ideas like not all foreigners are evil, that desire leads to suffering, and that long-distance attacks are the norm for elites. It's innovative, grand, and thoughtful.

And, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I have indicated these opinions before. So pardon me for repeating, repeating and repeating.
    I do not read the novels. So what I will be saying is based on the TV adaptations.

First, I do not really like the early TV adaptations of DGSD. This is because DY did not marry Mu Wanqing though he always promise too in all the TV adaptations. Worse still, in all adaptations, he did not marry Mu Wanqing though he learnt that he could as they are no longer step siblings. Forgive me for my traditional thinking. A promise needs to be fulfilled.

And thanks to JY for making the change in the third novel.
    The best part of the 2013 adaptation was when DY & Mu Wanqing were together in any scene. The DY & Wang Yuyan pair was cringe worthy...

Anyways, DY did intended to mary Mu in 2013 adaptation. He promised to crown her queen in the last episode, but she refused after seeing how much he was into Wang Yuyan...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 02-09-16 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    The best part of the 2013 adaptation was when DY & Mu Wanqing were together in any scene. The DY & Wang Yuyan pair was cringe worthy...

Anyways, DY did intended to mary Mu in 2013 adaptation. He promised to crown her queen in the last episode, but she refused after seeing how much he was into Wang Yuyan...
    Which 2013 edition are you referring to? Is it this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_De...013_TV_series)

Didn't DY marry/promise to marry MWQ and Zhong Ling in this series? Wang Yuyan decided to stay with Mu Furong.

Banned

Which 2013 edition are you referring to? Is it this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_De...013_TV_series)

Didn't DY marry/promise to marry MWQ and Zhong Ling in this series? Wang Yuyan decided to stay with Mu Furong.
    My bad, I can't understand Mandarin. Is that what really happened? I thought MWQ let him go so he could chase after WYY.

Ep 54: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHPA..._continue=1140

Anyways, it's good that DY decided to marry both MWQ + ZL. WYY is really terrible in this version...

http://nicene-hobbit.blogspot.ca

Mu Wanqing is a fictional character in Jinyong's ''wuxia'' novel ''Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils''. She is the daughter and disciple of Qin Hongmian, who has the alias of "You Gu Ke". She is eighteen years old when the story starts, the eldest of Duan Zhengchun's illegitimate daughters. Dressed in black, she always wears a veil over her face at the command of her mother to deter lascivious eyes. She is to either marry or kill the first male who sets eyes on her face, which turns out to be Duan Yu.

Mu Wanqing is a wild beauty who grew up in the wilderness and has no knowledge of affairs of the world. She has a weird, fiery temper and an immense dislike for males which was instilled in her by her mother. She knows a small amount of martial arts , and is especially skilled in the shooting of darts. She has a thoroughbred horse, called Black Rose, which caused her first meeting with her once lover and then supposed elder half-brother, Duan Yu. Duan Yu had agreed to marry her until they found out that they were siblings, which broke her heart.

In the end, it is revealed that Duan Yu was not the son of Duan Zhengchun, but the son of Duan Yanqing. The story ends with Duan Yu being able to marry Wang Yuyan, who is also the daughter of Duan Zhengchun, and raises the possibility of Duan Yu marrying two of his other supposed half-sisters, Mu Wanqing and Zhong Ling, of whom he was fond of. In the 2003 version of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils it is hinted that Duan Yu did marry Zhong Ling and Mu Wanqing as Mu Wanqing's hairstyle changes at the end .

By the Third Edition, Duan Yu realizes Mu Wanqing loved him the most so made her his Imperial Consort.
    Last edited by hirobo2; 02-09-16 at 09:34 PM.

Asking a question: 2003 edition = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi-G...003_TV_series). Can't remember that "Mu Wanqing's hairstyle changes at the end" = for marriage?

DGSD is good but it's not as good as LOCH.

I liked it mainly for Xiao Feng and the Xiao Yao Pai backstory which underpinned every other major plot element in the book.

Take away Duan Yu and I would still have liked the story. Take away either of the above and it would be crippled for me.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I liked it mainly for Xiao Feng and the Xiao Yao Pai backstory which underpinned every other major plot element in the book.

Take away Duan Yu and I would still have liked the story. Take away either of the above and it would be crippled for me.
    Why don't you like Duan Yu? Don't you like the way he follows WYY? Isn't DY chasing WYY and winning her heart the best part of the story? DY & WYY love story is much better than XF & Achu's. If you take away DY & WYY love story then DGSD would be completely suck.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 02-10-16 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Why don't you like Duan Yu? Don't you like the way he follows WYY? Isn't DY chasing WYY and winning her heart the best part of the story? DY & WYY love story is much better than XF & Achu's. If you take away DY & WYY love story then DGSD would be completely suck.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8nvh8vIWZ1qzmowao1_1280.jpg')

What CC is probably referring to are the "fighting" scenes and not the "love" aspects.
    If I have a choice, I will do away with XZ and Ah Zhu's love so that the latter did not die. To me, that's the most tragic scene among all JY works.

What CC is probably referring to are the "fighting" scenes and not the "love" aspects.
    If I have a choice, I will do away with XZ and Ah Zhu's love so that the latter did not die. To me, that's the most tragic scene among all JY works.
    Its tragic but that's what makes the novel stand out more. Mushy happy ever after endings for everyone kinda makes a story lame.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Banned

Here's another reason why I like the 2013 version of DGSD: MRF finally got the girl (WYY). But what made it more special is b/c WYY actually admires MRF for his "qualities" and "abilities" that no one else possesses, which means the love is sort of realistic...

Here's another reason why I like the 2013 version of DGSD: MRF finally got the girl (WYY). But what made it more special is b/c WYY actually admires MRF for his "qualities" and "abilities" that no one else possesses, which means the love is sort of realistic...
    May I check: what "qualities" and "abilities" does MRF have? His ambition to revive his kingdom? His concern for commoners when he thought that he was "king"?

Banned

May I check: what "qualities" and "abilities" does MRF have? His ambition to revive his kingdom? His concern for commoners when he thought that he was "king"?
    Not giving up on one's dream. The ability to counter with one's own way. These r qualities of an alpha male. Plus, I like how MRF stabbed his father to show that in the end, the ambition to revive his kingdom was his own. Sort of like his dad hypnotized him to, but in the end, he deep down desired it...

The strength of DGSD is that it weaves together a lot of colorful characters and innovative stories into a pretty thought-provoking whole. It's also easy to recall the story because there are so many memorable set pieces. Unfortunately, I think that the novel is also overly ambitious and that splitting the narrative between so many characters muddles the themes and makes it weaker than it would have been had it been more focused. In particular, the fact that a lot of readers (and TV producers) don't seem to understand that Duan Yu is the main character is a big problem.

Still, DGSD is still one of Jin Yong's long novels so it's going to have a lot of stature. I'd say that it's better than Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber and Legend of the Condor Heroes, but weaker than the others.

Not giving up on one's dream. The ability to counter with one's own way. These r qualities of an alpha male. Plus, I like how MRF stabbed his father to show that in the end, the ambition to revive his kingdom was his own. Sort of like his dad hypnotized him to, but in the end, he deep down desired it...
    That part is supposed to be Murong Fu's character flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedRossi View Post
    Still, DGSD is still one of Jin Yong's long novels so it's going to have a lot of stature. I'd say that it's better than Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber and Legend of the Condor Heroes, but weaker than the others.
    Wow. Isn't LOCH rank #1 among JY novels?

Wow. Isn't LOCH rank #1 among JY novels?
    From what I see, it seldom comes up much better than fourth or fifth...usually behind SPW, DOMD, and DGSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    From what I see, it seldom comes up much better than fourth or fifth...usually behind SPW, DOMD, and DGSD.
    How can SPW and DOMD beat LOCH? DOMD is garbage and SPW has disgusting martial art like Sunflower/Bixie. DGSD is good but just not as good as LOCH. LOCH has all the cool martial arts like 9 Yum Geng Ging and countless cool martial arts from the 5 Greats. Who did the ranking?