Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Kiu Fung injuring the Janitor Monk - what made the difference?

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default Kiu Fung injuring the Janitor Monk - what made the difference?

    Kiu Fung, Siu Yeun San, Mo Yung Bok, and Kau Mor Tze are generally grouped into the same class of fighter in DGSD. While the Janitor Monk was able to effortlessly neutralize Siu Yeun San and Mo Yung Bok, and I think the JM also casually brushed aside KMT, Kiu Fung was able to hit the JM with a palm so hard that it broke the JM's ribs, causing the otherwise invincible wulin elder to spit out blood.

    So HOW was Kiu Fung able to do that if he's "only" at the same level as SYS, MYB, and KMT? People both seriously and jokingly bring up KF's "X-Factor," but if this supposed X-Factor makes such a huge difference, shouldn't KF be classified much higher than SYS, MYB, and KMT?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    540

    Default

    it should be that Sweeper monk when guard against the attack from both sides, he activated some kind of body shield , but when receive a palm of xiao feng, he didnt activate the inner energy shield, similar case to Kong Jian and Xie Xun.

  3. #3
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    it should be that Sweeper monk when guard against the attack from both sides, he activated some kind of body shield , but when receive a palm of xiao feng, he didnt activate the inner energy shield, similar case to Kong Jian and Xie Xun.
    I can buy that. Wonder if that's the general consensus of fans.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Yeeeep seems like he want to "taste" XF 18 Dragon Palm at "full power"🤭🤭🤭🤭

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Yeeeep seems like he want to "taste" XF 18 Dragon Palm at "full power"🤭🤭🤭🤭
    just curious , lets expand the discussion, why sweeper monk want to taste XF's dragon palm?
    KongJian was cheated by XieXun , but that thing was not happen to sweeper monk, he allowed it himself

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    429

    Default

    In Indonesian translation he want to "play joke" with XF and "taste" XF 18 Dragon Palm without any intention only for "fun" don't know in other version 😶😶😶😶

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Basically, in the first 2 cases, the monk had the initiative. I think if MRB and XYS were on 100% alert they would not be neutralized as easily.

    1. MRB was attacked by this this seemingly harmless monk with no pre-warning. No chance to retaliate.
    2. XYS was in a daze after MRB death. No chance to retaliate.

    XF was already wary after MRB death and had the first-initiative after XYS got struck down (while sweeper was 'killing' XYS). Not to forget he is also on max fury mode.

    Sweeper on the hand, 'choose' to take the full impact of his blow. I am sure he could have evaded if he wanted to by stopping his attack on XYS.

  8. #8
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaMaster View Post
    Basically, in the first 2 cases, the monk had the initiative. I think if MRB and XYS were on 100% alert they would not be neutralized as easily.

    1. MRB was attacked by this this seemingly harmless monk with no pre-warning. No chance to retaliate.
    2. XYS was in a daze after MRB death. No chance to retaliate.

    XF was already wary after MRB death and had the first-initiative after XYS got struck down (while sweeper was 'killing' XYS). Not to forget he is also on max fury mode.

    Sweeper on the hand, 'choose' to take the full impact of his blow. I am sure he could have evaded if he wanted to by stopping his attack on XYS.
    Didn't Mo Yung Bok adopt his "invincible" defensive stance when confronting the Janitor Monk, only for the JM to effortlessly pierce this supposedly invincible defense (which might have in fact been invincible against most other opponents...just not *this* one)?

  9. #9
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Didn't Mo Yung Bok adopt his "invincible" defensive stance when confronting the Janitor Monk, only for the JM to effortlessly pierce this supposedly invincible defense (which might have in fact been invincible against most other opponents...just not *this* one).
    He did. Just that no TV series ever made this point clear/stand out so unless you read the novel, it gets ignored.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    He did. Just that no TV series ever made this point clear/stand out so unless you read the novel, it gets ignored.
    Another thing.

    If the question was: "How would the Sweeper Monk stand up to a full strength XF Dragon Palm?"


    That was approximately answered by JY in the earlier part of that scene. XF and MRF had both launched full strength palm strikes at each other and the Sweeper just walked in between them and nullified both palms. He didn't re-direct it back. He just nullified both by walking in between.

    I always wondered if JY got some inspiration from Journey to the West in creating Sweeper. Its like you have these hitherto super powered characters like Sun Wukong and Erlang Shen which appear so untouchable then Rulai Fo appear and says "Hold my beer'.
    Last edited by CC; 04-28-19 at 11:55 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  11. #11
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Another thing.

    If the question was: "How would the Sweeper Monk stand up to a full strength XF Dragon Palm?"


    That was approximately answered by JY in the earlier part of that scene. XF and MRF had both launched full strength palm strikes at each other and the Sweeper just walked in between them and nullified both palms. He didn't re-direct it back. He just nullified both by walking in between.

    I always wondered if JY got some inspiration from Journey to the West in creating Sweeper. Its like you have these hitherto super powered characters like Sun Wukong and Erlang Shen which appear so untouchable then Rulai Fo appear and says "Hold my beer'.
    Or Marvel Comics. Thor and Hulk seem invincible until you realize that the likes of Galactus are out there.

  12. #12
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Or Marvel Comics. Thor and Hulk seem invincible until you realize that the likes of Galactus are out there.
    Actually, the JY verse and the Marvel comic verse has something in common in that the abilities of the characters get elastic to fit the plot.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  13. #13
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default

    But that leads back to the question...when Kiu Fung's palm DID get through and make contact, causing actual damage...what happened? Did the Janitor Monk drop all defense, purposely?

  14. #14
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Actually, the JY verse and the Marvel comic verse has something in common in that the abilities of the characters get elastic to fit the plot.
    One of the most absurdly great examples of this was when a group of Mexican farmers got the drop on Silver Surfer and KO'd him with their farm tools. A being who could disintegrate a planet without great effort somehow got dropped by farmers with shovels and hoes.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-15, 08:37 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-10, 02:59 PM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 02-23-10, 09:40 PM
  4. Was the Janitor Monk trying to protect Kiu Fung?
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-05, 03:22 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-04, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •