Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loch 83

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    It's funny how taste can vary because I think that the costumes in the '80s were 100 times more beautiful than today's. To my eyes, the newer cotumes look like rags. In the old days, there were distinctive motives. Now, it's all layers of plain sheets. One thing I'll agree with you is the scenery. People have to be blind not to see the carton-made caves from the '80s. But that's one minor minus among the rest that was were top notch.
    Yeah, I agree with you. Costumes back in the 80s were so nice even though they are not historical accurate. However, that doesn't matter to me. The dialodge were so much better as well. As for sceneries, china will always beat Hong Kong. China is a big country whereas Hong Kong is just a city. TVB used the same scenery in many many series back then. Overall, TVB series back then still the best. One more bad thing about TVB series back then is the dubbing. Some of the voices back then are very bad. The new dubbing is much better. For LOCH82, the dubbing is great.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you. Costumes back in the 80s were so nice even though they are not historical accurate. However, that doesn't matter to me. The dialodge were so much better as well. As for sceneries, china will always beat Hong Kong. China is a big country whereas Hong Kong is just a city. TVB used the same scenery in many many series back then. Overall, TVB series back then still the best. One more bad thing about TVB series back then is the dubbing. Some of the voices back then are very bad. The new dubbing is much better. For LOCH82, the dubbing is great.....
    Yeah, I agree with you. Series back then are sooo great and wonderful. Series now a day just boring and it's not as good as the old ones. How I missed the old ones back then.

i <33 old series. i'm glad my mom has some boxsets i can bust out! lol.

i like the corny graphics back then, sometimes i watch new wuxia series and they overdo the computer graphics... makes it so fake. and the fighting is really fakee, with all the computer graphics.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8 View Post
    i <33 old series. i'm glad my mom has some boxsets i can bust out! lol.

i like the corny graphics back then, sometimes i watch new wuxia series and they overdo the computer graphics... makes it so fake. and the fighting is really fakee, with all the computer graphics.

Don't forget, the acting for those 80's series is rather convincing then the current remake by TVB which IMHO are just bunch of 'eye candies'
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

This might not have been the most accurate adaptation of LOCH ever (although it was not the most inaccurate either), but it was probably the most entertaining. Whatever those older TVB series lacked for location scenery and technical sophistication, they made up for in spirit.

yeah i dont really care about how accurate the story is to the novel as long as the actors/actress do there job giving us a good entertainment then i m cool...also love the way the old school tvb series costumes..silk etc they look so cool. and plus back in tvb you needed to learn martial arts or some acrobats(did i spell that right) besides passing acting school to be on the show...reason why the old school tvb series the fighting looks more real..now a days its basically fancy cgi or camera shaking back n forth or very good editing skills..tvb now a days have only cgi and some good looking actors/actress but still most of em cant act..only person i think is good so far is raymond lam since he appeared like what early 2000s. well i dont mind story being change as long there not major changes and as longa s the acting is good and convincing that is all is need with the fighting scenes...too bad barbra died so young 26...

Everyone has different opinions. From what I know, majority of the viewers really liked Barbara's portrayal of HR the best. My Opinion is that Babara is such a great actress. Saying that she isn't pretty enough to be HR is kinda unfair. Opinions differ, just because you say that she's not pretty it doesn't mean others dont think so. Looks don't matter, what's most important is her acting as HR. I thought she was absolutely adorable! I'll be honest that I dont consider Babara as "pretty" but i think she's "cute". I liked her portrayal of HR the best. Like some people who have already mentioned this I'll just say it again. What made me like her portrayal was she was just so natural. It seemed like she wasn't even trying hard at all while acting out this character. The way she talked, walked, and everything was just so cute, natural and fitted the character very well. Unlike the other actresses who portrayed HR, she brought it out even further bringing out the character to life. I like the witty and bratty HR a lot. Her acting in LOCH 1982 was the main reason why I liked her so much and became such a fan of her.

About this adaption, i thought it was the best. I'll disagree with those who don't like the costumes from the olden days. I think that they're very pretty and nice. I loved Barbara's costumes! Compared to today's, the costumes aren't as great which is always because it's so much. Fighting scenes are obviously better too. I hate seeing series these days with so much graphics and everything added on. It makes it seem so fake. Series back in the 80's are a lot better than todays. They're so much more enjoyable. The storyline was more interesting and actors and actresses really took their characters seriously. Nothing beats series from the 80's.

LOCH 1982 is one of my all time favourites series. Everything about it was great. Babara & Felix's chemistry was amazing. Babara's HR is the best! Felix is also the best GJ, although i hated how this character can be so dumb; like when he thought Huang Yaoshi killed his 5 teachers, he got so mad at HR and treated her so badly. Sharon is also the best MNC. I personally hate this character but she portrayed it so well. She looked and acted so dumb and desperate. No one can beat my cutie Michael as YK.
    The 5 greats are the best in this version. Each of them brought their characters to life. No one can beat the 5 of them! they're portrayal was perfect! Zhou Bo Tong is the funniest in this version. Like Babara, his porytrayal was so natural. His facial expression, the way he talked fitted this character perfectly. A lot of people critisize this version mostly because it was so long and it didn't follow the novel exactly like the 1994 version. The series doesn't have to be close to the novel to be enjoyable. Even if it's long, i've watched this adaption many times and im still not tired of it. I love the storyline a lot, it's so interesting and enjoyable. Not to mention all 3 theme songs were so tight!

1994 version is my second favourite adaption. This one follows the novel the closests (even though i don't care much about that fact). Watching this adaption at first, it didn't give me the same feeling as the 1982 one. But then i still enjoyed it very much. I liked Athena Chu's HR. She may not be as witty and bratty as Barbara but she had the magic in her. Athena was superduper cute. She porytrayed the character very well. Julian was great as GJ. I still like Felix better but Julian portrayed the slowness and dumbness quite well. Together, they shared such a cute, loving and memorable chemistry. Gallen looked and acted well as YK and MNC was alright. To me the actress looks more of the serious type while MNC is suppose to look slow and dumb. Besides H7G, the other 5 greats were pretty good. Of course it's not as good as the 82 version but they portrayed it well. Auyeung Hak was pretty good in this version. I think this actor is cute, and he brought out the personality of this character well; being sucha flirt! Not that the actor in the 82 version was bad. I like both very much and they each portrayed it in their own way. The Southern Emperor was quite good as well. What I liked about this adaption better was that almost all characters had better fighiting skills. The fighting in this adaption is pretty good. Since it follows the book, it was kinda short and it seemed liked it rushed a lot. It moved at a fast pace, but the storyline still went nice and smoothly. I wish it was longer so more things could be developed. I also love the theme song and sub theme. All the cast in this version is 2nd BEST! Athena & Julian are the 2nd BEST GJ & HR.

2003 version was pretty good. I knew right away that I'd still love the 82 and 94 version better, but i still gave it a try. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The casting of GJ, HR, YK, & MNC were all well chosed. The rest of the supporting casts were just BLAH! HR in this version is more naughty and bratty then Athena's HR but i still liked Athena better. Zhuo Xun was good as HR, very cute but i didn't like her hairstyle. GJ was alright, didn't really look like a GJ but his acting was good. The fighting scenes were alright. I didn't feel a strong chemistry between GJ and HR. I didn't like the theme song as well. Overall it's an "okay" adpation. Not the best, and not second best.

I agree that China series have the greatest and most beautiful sceneries ever. They're just breath taking! TVB could never do something like that. I still like TVB a lot better. They're adaptions are always worth watching, costumes and fighting is always 10 times better then China. I don't care much about scenery. For instance like ROCH 2006, sure the scenery was nice but that was probably one of the good things about it. besides the superb acting of HXM & LYF as XLN and YG, everything else about that version was such a let down. But then again all of this is all MY OPINION.

Default Wu Mu Yi Shu

In this version of LOCH, it has 2 copies of Wu Mu Yi Shu. One copy was the one that Tolui almost stole from the Forbidden Palace and the other was the one buried inside the tombs of Iron Palm Sect.

How many copies of Wu Mu Yi Shu are they?
    Last edited by vindikattor; 09-21-07 at 01:55 PM.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    In this version of LOCH, it has 2 copies of Wu Mu Yi Shu. One copy was the one that Tu Lui almost stole from the Forbidden Palace and the other was the one buried inside the tombs of Iron Palm Sect.

How many copies of Wu Mu Yi Shu are they?
    Only one...the original, which was in the icy tomb/vault of the Iron Palm Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Only one...the original, which was in the icy tomb/vault of the Iron Palm Union.
    So in this LOCH 1983 version, the drunkard Yue Fei's descendant gave Hong QiGong a fake Wu Mu Yi Shu which the Beggars' Clan delivered to the Song official. I assumed this was the one that Tolui almost stole.

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    So in this LOCH 1983 version, the drunkard Yue Fei's descendant gave Hong QiGong a fake Wu Mu Yi Shu which the Beggars' Clan delivered to the Song official. I assumed this was the one that Tolui almost stole.
    Yep.

TVB, as is often the case, didn't think continuity matters through too carefully when they added this particular subplot. It really doesn't work to have multiple copies of the Mo Muk War Tactics Manual just kind of drifting around.

Jin Yong was content with just one (the one at the Iron Palm Union HQ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yep.

TVB, as is often the case, didn't think continuity matters through too carefully when they added this particular subplot.
    In another of Dohhhh moment was the first time Zhou BoTong went to Peach Blossom Island. He traveled all the way to the Island just to tell Huang YaoShi that he had to hide both of the Jiu Yin Zhen Jing manuals.

Out of all the heroes in Wulin and he chose Huang YaoShi to tell him this....

I saw this when I was a kid, don't remember much from it. I tried to watch some bits and pieces from it again, but I could not. Felt like watching a soap opera rather than a wuxia series.

I don't think you can call this the best "adaptation" of LOCH ever since it's quite loosely based on the novel, but it'd be perfectly fair to call it the most entertaining series called LOCH if that's how you feel.
    This account is retired.

Update*****

ZBT of 83 is in critical condition after falling into a river. He had a little too much to drink ....

Wish him well.

Up to his lowantong shenanigens still I see...
    This account is retired.

I can't stand both '80s LOCH and ROCH. The pace and dialogue of the series are very slow that they make the series so annoying to watch.

I am guessing in ROCH83 they really focused on making the YG+XLN relationship more melodramatic than it actually is in the novel, that's why there are so many YG haters here in this forum who hate him for things that are not in the novel, and thus as far as I am concerned, not true.

I suppose if one grew up watching TVB, one would like it. I went 10 years without watching TVB, and when I saw something from it again, I could not believe how garbage it was. Too used to the smart writing that's much more prevalent in American shows than HK ones. I don't mean the braindead reality shows.
    This account is retired.

LOCH 83 is still a classic, after seeing many other I still think this is the best one. Barbara is still THE HR because her acting was really great. Plus this ZBT is legendary (the look, the voice, the expressions). I laughed when he started singing one of the theme songs for the series when he was chasing QQR to a building where OYF and GJ was also hiding. The only negative was those annoying rainbow graphics...for HYS flute (during the competition for a spouse) and Yideng's Yiyang finger.

Speaking of scenery, I've been watching alot of TVB/ATV series, and I've noticed they filmed in the same place...

It's like a 'Pagoda' like thing, with wooden railings down a stairway path and usually there's people standing around and talking with the 'pagoda' thing in the back.

I saw in Mystical Crane, Magic Needle and I saw it in another TVB Series... even recent ones too! I think I'm gonna go to China and take a picture there. haha
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

No budget to travel anywhere, so...

Just think of HK series as those akin to high school productions made by rich kids.
    This account is retired.