Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: baseball again

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    hehe, at least you admit it

1 more hit and is a tie, he could very well do it tonite.

So far he is 1 for 3... I can see him getting another at bat so who knows it would be really something
    Sisler was a different type of player than Ichiro. Ichiro was a leadoff-singles hitter, Sisler was a clean-up-power hitter. He hit .407 and hit 20+ HRs the year he set the record (not to mention he did it in 154 games). Makes Sisler's year much better than anything Ichiro can dream to put up (unless Ichiro starts hitting .430+ ).
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Like I said before they play in different league and time and heck they even play different position.

If you want an debate some folks said that is harder to get the record of the pass because all the players are getting better and better (both hitting and pitching). Some even debating using minor league or pee wee league where you see some players hitting and pitching some awsome numbers and if you expand the game into # of games as pro player.

But this is not about that is about Ichiro hitting 256 and so on. No one is saying Sisler is a sucky player because he doesn't hold that record anymore. He is still an awsome play for his time. Just like Maris broke Ruth's HR record... and McGwire breaking him... and then Bonds did... no one is taking any credit from the previous record holder did before him.

So cheer up Moin and enjoy something that doesn't happen often
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Like I said before they play in different league and time and heck they even play different position.
    Then why keep records? Might as well throw them out every year since the league is "different" every year, not to mention that whole different time argument.

By the way, they did both play in the AL. The Browns were an AL team ya know.

But it's pretty clear that Sisler was better, love Ichiro, but he's just a singles hitter. Fat alot of good those 225+ singles did the Mariners this year.

If you want an debate some folks said that is harder to get the record of the pass because all the players are getting better and better (both hitting and pitching). Some even debating using minor league or pee wee league where you see some players hitting and pitching some awsome numbers and if you expand the game into # of games as pro player.
    Yeah, the Pacific League and the Northwest League are notorious hitters leagues. But they are uh... minor leagues, not quite the major leagues. It's a bit pointless to de-legitimize what Sisler did by saying something happened in the minors. That's like saying Aaron's 755 doesn't mean much because of Oh's 868. Now if ya really want to talk about different leagues.

But this is not about that is about Ichiro hitting 256 and so on.
    It's not? Then pray tell what it's about? How great the Mariners are this year?

No one is saying Sisler is a sucky player because he doesn't hold that record anymore. He is still an awsome play for his time. Just like Maris broke Ruth's HR record... and McGwire breaking him... and then Bonds did... no one is taking any credit from the previous record holder did before him.

So cheer up Moin and enjoy something that doesn't happen often
    Not talking about taking credit. Just talking about how Sisler was a better player.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I like Ichiro, he is playing for mariners and he is handsome. And he is alive!
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    I like Ichiro, he is playing for mariners and he is handsome. And he is alive!

Predictable.

I like Ichiro too. And I have no problems with him breaking the record.... but Sisler was better.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Just for Moin

Sisler is an awsome hitter for his time
    Flame on I am gone...

Just for Moin

Sisler is an awsome hitter for his time
    For his time? And Ted Williams was just a good hitter for his time too then I guess.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    For his time? And Ted Williams was just a good hitter for his time too then I guess.
    nothing please Moin anymore haha

here goes

Sisler is one of the best hitters in the game of baseball
    Last edited by James Ko; 09-30-04 at 06:29 PM.
    Flame on I am gone...

Winn4r of the most innane point ever, where there are no winners, only losers.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Yanks won another division title.

Who do u want to be in the playoff
    esp AL West and NL WC?

For AL West: ANA,
    NL WC: Torn between SFG (Bonds) and HOU (Clemens)

Angels man... cause I have soft spot for them

NL Wild Card i am hoping the Cubs...
    Flame on I am gone...

Moin, you forgot a certain *something* in each of your last lot of posts in this thread.

Of course I want the Cubs to win the NL WC, but that's going to be pretty tough now with only 3 games to play. If the Cubs don't win it, then I hope the Astros do. They did a good job of spanking the Cardinals, who didn't help the Cubs out at all this past series against Houston.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I hope the cubs will get to the wild card...so they can lose again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Moin, you forgot a certain *something* in each of your last lot of posts in this thread.

Of course I want the Cubs to win the NL WC, but that's going to be pretty tough now with only 3 games to play. If the Cubs don't win it, then I hope the Astros do. They did a good job of spanking the Cardinals, who didn't help the Cubs out at all this past series against Houston.
    Oh...

Go Cubbies!!! Go Go Go Go Go!!!! Come on Cubbies!!!! You got the players!!! Let's do it!!!! Go Go Go Go!!!

I'm very indifferent about the Astros. The club just doesn't get any emotions or opinions out of me. I don't know why, but it's always been that way for me.

And...

Go Cubbies!
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 10-01-04 at 05:00 AM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Oh yeah, Fox, congrats on the hiring of Minaya. The Mets finally made a wise choice. I bet you are at least somewhat excited. Considering what he has done in Montreal with that budget...

Go Cubbies!!!
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Oh...

Go Cubbies!!! Go Go Go Go Go!!!! Come on Cubbies!!!! You got the players!!! Let's do it!!!! Go Go Go Go!!!

I'm very indifferent about the Astros. The club just doesn't get any emotions or opinions out of me. I don't know why, but it's always been that way for me.

And...

Go Cubbies!
    Hey, is that why the Cubs have been losing? You haven't been cheering them on! They seriously need to revamp their lineup. No1 is driving in any runs. We need runs damnit. What a waste of a great outing by Prior.

No matter what, Cubs are lovable losers that everyone just like to root for
    Flame on I am gone...

How was Sisler clearly much better than Ichiro?

I am not for comparing players from different eras.

As far as I am concerned, hitting for a near .400 avg today is more impressive than back in the olden days. Back then the field was not as neatly kept (so I've heard) leading to bad hop basehits, and the gloves were not as big or useful back then again leading to more hits. The pitching was not specialized and hitters got to face the same guy 4 times a game and the pitchers were not as strong as they were today. Just compare the BA's of Sisler's contemporaries to Ichiro's current contemporaries.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    How was Sisler clearly much better than Ichiro?

I am not for comparing players from different eras.

As far as I am concerned, hitting for a near .400 avg today is more impressive than back in the olden days. Back then the field was not as neatly kept (so I've heard) leading to bad hop basehits, and the gloves were not as big or useful back then again leading to more hits. The pitching was not specialized and hitters got to face the same guy 4 times a game and the pitchers were not as strong as they were today. Just compare the BA's of Sisler's contemporaries to Ichiro's current contemporaries.
    It's not just BA, but if you feel like comparing Sisler's stats that year with that of his contemporaries, sure.

In the year he set the hit record, 1920. Only one player out slugged Sisler, had more RBIs, and had more HRs. (Hint, he used to pitch for Boston). That year, Sisler hit 19 HRs. His TEAM hit 50 in total. The entire Indians team hit 35, the White Sox hit 37, Senators hit 36, Tigers hit 30, and Boston hit 22.

The most shocking point of all. Despite the gaudy gaudy gaudy numbers that the Babe put up that year (which by all accounts were one of the 2 greatest seasons of hitting before Bonds showed up), Sisler beat him out in terms of total bases.

In 1922, Sisler batted .420, only the 2nd highest batting average for the AL ever (to Lajoie's rather dubious .426 in the expansion year of 1901), had over 100 RBIs, had an OPS over 1000, had more extra base hits than RUTH, not to mention leading the league in triples and SB.

Sadly, 1922 was Sisler's last year in his prime. In 1923, he developed a sinus infection so bad that it gave him double vision for the rest of his life. He took off the entire year and learned to hit while SEEING 2 BALLS CROSSING THE PLATE and proceeded to hit over .300 for 7 out of his last 8 seasons as a pro.

I think having to hit with a double vision more than negates any advantage that Sisler might have enjoyed over Ichiro by whatever other means.

And, of course, Go Cubbies!
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

What I usually do to compare players is use simulatiors like Baseball Mogul or Out of the Ball Park series...

Take the old stats of these play and play dream matches... I still remember Babe Ruth striking out 4 times at bat against R Johnson
    Flame on I am gone...