Page 35 of 99 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I'm almost certain that's the case as well. It's not as if the TVB DVDs feature *mindblowing* technology for 2007. TVB could have easily released these DVD sets six or seven years ago when it was issuing those godawful VCDs.

I still remember the incredulous gape I aimed at the store clerk six years ago when she told me that TVB had "edited out the boring parts" of THE BUND.

Yeah, that's right, TVB: obviously I can't trust my own judgment on what's "boring" on the classic series that YOU made, so I need you to selectively edit it out for me.

Sometimes, I believe that TVB thinks its audience is STOOPID.
    Yeah what the heck was up with that? If it was boring, I would fast forward it. They need ppl in there that understand us instead of having some guy with a pair of scissors.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Glad that you guys agree with me. I remember someone posting TVB's response to why they edited out so much on the VCDs and you know what their response was? They said something like the series are old and that a lot of scenes were "overly shot"; therefore, they had to edit those parts out.. What the heck?? IF those parts were so overly shot then why did you release them when you aired the series before?? I can't believe that!!

Also, I heard the audience in HK does not really collect or buy these series. They just usually watch it when it is aired on TV and that's it.. That was what my friend told me when she said she went to HK looking for series to buy. She found it strange how they didn't really have any for sale in HK where the series originates.

I really agree with you Ken! Very well said!!That clerk is such a idiot. I can't believe she said that... Also, I think TVB believes we will not even notice if they cut out scenes since these series are old and it's not like we memorized everything. Therefore, they think it is ok to edit what they like.... Geez, who do they think we are??
    Last edited by Trinie; 04-19-07 at 11:55 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Glad that you guys agree with me. I remember someone posting TVB's response to why they edited out so much on the VCDs and you know what their response was? They said something like the series are old and that a lot of scenes were "overly shot"; therefore, they had to edit those parts out.. What the heck?? IF those parts were so overly shot then why did you release them when you aired the series before?? I can't believe that!!

Also, I heard the audience in HK does not really collect or buy these series. They just usually watch it when it is aired on TV and that's it.. That was what my friend told me when she said she went to HK looking for series to buy. She found it strange how they didn't really have any for sale in HK where the series originates.

I really agree with you Ken! Very well said!!That clerk is such a idiot. I can't believe she said that... Also, I think TVB believes we will not even notice if they cut out scenes since these series are old and it's not like we memorized everything. Therefore, they think it is ok to edit what they like.... Geez, who do they think we are??
    Yeah HK ppl generally don't care cause they see it on TV so often. When I went to HK it was actually hard looking for certain series. It took me a month to find both parts of New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung and I found it in 2 different stores. The weird thing is, here in Vancouver, whenever I need a series, I just call up the boss and he will order it from HK directly. I usually get it no problem. So I go to HK I can't find stuff, but if I order from Vancouver and get it shipped to Vancouver from HK it's actually more convenient. Kinda ironic.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I bought a 2 set dvd of LOCH and ROCH. It's been shipped to me.
    looking at the LOCH box pic, it looks like the Taiseng version, is there still audio problems with this Taiseng release? How is the quality of ROCH? is there any problem with audio/sound/sub? I will mainly watch it in cantonese, but having English subtitles is nice.

is the quality of the Taiseng ver the same as the TVB ver??

I also just bought HSDS and The Demi Gods & Semi Devils from ebay. it is very hard for me to tell which versions these are but I assume Taiseng. I don't want to get the inferior version if the TVB releases are better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben85
    I bought a 2 set dvd of LOCH and ROCH. It's been shipped to me.
    looking at the LOCH box pic, it looks like the Taiseng version, is there still audio problems with this Taiseng release? How is the quality of ROCH? is there any problem with audio/sound/sub? I will mainly watch it in cantonese, but having English subtitles is nice.

is the quality of the Taiseng ver the same as the TVB ver??

I also just bought HSDS and The Demi Gods & Semi Devils from ebay. it is very hard for me to tell which versions these are but I assume Taiseng. I don't want to get the inferior version if the TVB releases are better.

By the way Ken is saying it, it sounds like the TaiSeng version of LOCH still has the muffled audio which doesn't surprise me. It would be great if you confirm it. If you bought it from Yesasia, it's most likely TaiSeng. If you are from the US, I think you can only get the TaiSeng version. ROCH looks and sounds pretty good to me. I did notice that they added new music only in a few short scenes, so it's not biggie. Nothing compared to the editing work they did on the VCDs. I can't comment on the english subs, cause I watch them on chinese subs to learn more chinese.

Generally the TaiSeng and HK versions are the same since they are all made in HK. In HK they are distributed by Modern and in Canada they distributed by Video Box. The difference is the labelling of the Modern, Video Box and TaiSeng logos on the product. VideoBox and Modern have exactly the same packaging except for their logos. I do notice that TaiSeng has slightly inferior boxes in my opinion even though they are almost the same. Check the previous pages on this thread for pictures to see the minor differences on the boxes.
    Last edited by almo89; 04-22-07 at 12:28 AM.

I only read about the audio problem from someone that posted in late 06 and I assumed that it be fixed by now...guess not.

And yes I am from the U.S and I bought these sets from ebay. I hope I get a good set I was mainly looking for ROCH (LOCH never did much to me), it was nice they came as a set.

I got the TVBI and TS version of LOTCH, same audio difficiency. ROTCH is flawless...............

I just got the DGSD last week, so far so good..........................

so which version of LOCH doesn't have audio problem? the TVB one?
    also, how big of an issue is this audio problem? is it very distracting or just minor?

I thought there was some muffled audio while watching the LOCH vcd as well...but that was a year ago and I can't be sure.

Maybe it just varies from set to set??? I am not to positive since I haven't seen my set in a long long time.... Maybe I should check it sometime....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

also, how big of an issue is this audio problem? is it very distracting or just minor?
    both versions, it's minor, but I still like to get what I paid for, ROTCH was flawless, shouldn't have to expect any less.

I didn't think it was that bad (of course, I've been suffering through years of really crappy fourth-generation VHS tapes, so I'm not about to complain), but it's there. Almo89 has said that he experienced no similar problems on his VHS tapes, but from what I recall, LOCH '82 has *always* had dialogue volume problems in parts.

Probably won't bother me much then.

are there any plans from the publishing companies to bring out series on Blu-ray/HD DVD?

i can't imagine the quality will be better than dvd, but it reduces the number of discs in the packaging.
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    are there any plans from the publishing companies to bring out series on Blu-ray/HD DVD?

i can't imagine the quality will be better than dvd, but it reduces the number of discs in the packaging.
    They just started releasing DVD's like 2 years ago, so I don't see them releasing any old series in Blu-ray/HD DVD. I just hope they continue to release DVDs. TVB is switching to High Definition, so maybe they can release High Definition shows in Blu-ray/HD DVD. I don't see the point to use anything other than DVDs for old shows.

If they did release them on HDVD and Blueray, I don't even want to imagine how much they will charge for it. Also, the quality may not be that much better than the current DVD....

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    If they did release them on HDVD and Blueray, I don't even want to imagine how much they will charge for it. Also, the quality may not be that much better than the current DVD....
    Yeah no kidding. TVB is already juicing out our wallets. No need for them to do that more.

I think TVB may do that if they know they can make a lot of money. BUt then again, they might not since we already bought the cut VCD sets and now the DVD sets.. How many people would actually pay another big amount for the same series on Bluray or HDVD???

the quality depends on the transfer. If they do a good transfer, it will still look better than dvd. Films don't have limited resolution...however, that being said, if they transfer it from tap instead of remastering it for HD, it won't look much better than dvd.

I hope they will release State of Divinity 96 on dvd soon..