Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

9 28.13%
  • No!

23 71.88%

Thread: Wai Siu Bo: evil?

Default Wai Siu Bo: evil?

Most wuxia fans will agree that the main character of DUKE OF MT. DEER, Wai Siu Bo, was not a hero in the traditional sense like Kiu Fung of DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS or Gwok Jing of LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES. Wai Siu Bo did indeed have a vicious and amoral streak. That being said, was he evil?

Nah, he's just a product of his environment (brothel, royal court). He turned out to be quite well actually, Xiaobao does have a certain degree of decency. In essence, he's really a good person (with HELLUVA LOT bad habits).
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

i thought hes 14?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Originally posted by LuNaR
    i thought hes 14?
    at the start of the story, yes

Let's see... he raped several women, although they eventually became his wives... he tried to kill a general (I forget his name), who actually considered him as a friend... and the list goes on. So, yes, he was not a hero in the traditional sense, he was a hero since he was the main character in DOMD. I wouldn't exactly call him good as some of the things he did was rather evil in my standard, but I think overall he was not evil beyond redemption. As Lavi said, he did have a certain degree of decency, it's just that I can't list some of his deeds that I approve without the book next to me.

I believe he was simply young and horny

he tried to kill a general (I forget his name), who actually considered him as a friend... and the list goes on.
    He killed him to save the lives of hundreds of his other friends (Heaven & Earth Society + Muk family).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

He also did not kill the emperor even though he was part of Heaven Earth society. He showed loyalty to his friend and he knew that the emperor was a good ruler.

Originally posted by Candide
    He killed him to save the lives of hundreds of his other friends (Heaven & Earth Society + Muk family).
    Well, he could have tried to kidnap him or use any other means to subdue him. Anyway that general did not die in the end, apparently he was rather different from normal people, as in his heart was on the right side of his torso. So all is good

I am evil too. He and I can be evil twins.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Originally posted by rabadi
    Well, he could have tried to kidnap him or use any other means to subdue him.
    Talk is easy. What other means ? The general was the top imperial guard. He's 1000 times better than WXB in terms of kungfu.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Originally posted by Candide
    Talk is easy. What other means ? The general was the top imperial guard. He's 1000 times better than WXB in terms of kungfu.
    Are we talking about the same general here?

Of course we are. Da Long was the top imperial guard, his kungfu was excellent.

Okay, as I said, I can't remember his name. But to know whether we are talking about the same general, did this Da Long die in the end?

Edit: I am talking about this general that considered WXB as his friend. When WXB stabbed him, he didn't see it coming. He didn't even know it was WXB who stabbed him, and when WXB came back from the island he still treated WXB as his friend, not knowing WXB trying to kill him in the past.

I know it is just me, but I am sure WXB with his tricks could come up with another mean to subdue him, maybe put a sleeping pill on his wine or something? If the general did not see it coming and all along treated WXB as his good friend, then it would be easier for WXB to subdue him.
    Last edited by rabadi; 08-30-04 at 02:17 AM.

Edit: I am talking about this general that considered WXB as his friend. When WXB stabbed him, he didn't see it coming. He didn't even know it was WXB who stabbed him, and when WXB came back from the island he still treated WXB as his friend, not knowing WXB trying to kill him in the past.
    It's because Kang Xi lied to him, saying that he was ambushed by an assasin, and he only survived because WXB risked his life defending him.

I know it is just me, but I am sure WXB with his tricks could come up with another mean to subdue him, maybe put a sleeping pill on his wine or something? If the general did not see it coming and all along treated WXB as his good friend, then it would be easier for WXB to subdue him.
    Kang Xi ordered Da Long to guard WXB 24/7, not allowing him to go out of the palace, nor going anywhere without Da Long by his side. WXB could not pull magic pills out of his arse, and besides, Da Long was an experienced person, he would not be fooled easily (or knocked out easily) by such a cheap trick. Remember that sleeping pills (ordinary ones) are only effective on shithouse fighters. WXB couldn't take his chance. If he tried it, and Da Long could realise that he was poisoned, he would still have time to yell out to other guards before he was out.

Another very important thing to consider (what WXB said to the body of the supposedly dead Da Long before he left) was that if Da Long survived, and WXB managed to run away, Kang Xi would kill his entire family for not fulfilling his responsibility and still having the guts to show his face in front of the emperor. He would be expected to either die while doing his job or kill himself if he failed (Kang Xi told him so before he gave him the mission). If Da Long died, his family would be safe and would still get his salary and other benefits afterwards. WXB was actually doing Da Long's family a favour, if you look at it that way.

Edit: I wouldn't say that WXB was a hero, nor I would consider him an evil person. However, at that moment (ie when he risked his life and fortune killing Da Long to get out of the palace to save his friends), I'd consider him to have the most important qualities of a true hero. Just think about it. Imagine how hard that situation was. If he agreed to serve Kang Xi faithfully and destroy the Heaven & Earth Society, it would be so easy. He would be well on his way to become "under one person, above millions". The opposite was nigh on impossible.
    Last edited by Candide; 08-30-04 at 02:34 AM.

Okay, obviously a memory from reading the book 9 years ago could not compare to a memory from reading the book recently. I can't even remember why WXB had to "kill" the general at the time. But I just make an assumption, if WXB who knew very basic gongfu could stab the general who was 1000 times better than him in gongfu, then couldn't he still come up with another mean? By reading your post, I do agree however that the situation was quite hard.

I believe Wai Siu Bo is not evil but in fact looking out for himself first. He does what he needs to do to survive, even if it is killing..etc... Yes he is a horny bastard and greedy, but who isnt hehehe....

he raped serveral women at age 14?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

he's greedy, horny, and ruthless if he has to be

but he's also extremely generous, loving to his girls, quick witted, and loyal to his friends and brothers even at the most dire of times

the first list, that's most people for you

the second list, that's hard to do... especially being loyal in his situation

also considering his origins, I'd say he's pretty good