Thread: Does the "younger" generation read JY anymore?

Default Does the "younger" generation read JY anymore?

Does the "younger" generation read JY anymore?

Are teenagers nowaday reading JY?

Will JY novels lose their popularity in the next generation?

Is JY on the decline?

Question

Define younger generation?

I'm a teen and I read Jin Yong or Gu Long stories.

I think it depends on the adaptations as well. I became interested in Jin Yong's novel after I watched my first Hong Kong TV series, which was LOCH82. It might be rather difficult for the teens or younger generation to merely walk into the book store to search for Jin Yong's novel.

since TVB, taiwanese, and mainland keep reproducing the adaptation related to jin Yong works, I believe they do read jin yong books once they get interested in.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Yes. I've seen many Chinese and Taiwanese teens and pre-teens reading Jin Yong novels in recent years, and most of them have a good working knowledge of the stories. I don't worry about Jin Yong and wuxia fiction losing its popularity in this generation, but twenty, thirty years from now, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    ...but twenty, thirty years from now, who knows?
    Twenty, thirty years from now I'll let the "younger" generation worry about that

Quote Originally Posted by hermit
    Does the "younger" generation read JY anymore?

Are teenagers nowaday reading JY?

Will JY novels lose their popularity in the next generation?

Is JY on the decline?
    Your fears are unfounded. Take a look around here and you'll see scores of kids having endless debates about the qualities/attributes of fictional characters created entirely at the whim and fancy of one man.
    Julien Chang

Default HEY!

HEY! I'm a teen born in america from Houston and I READ JY!

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    HEY! I'm a teen born in america from Houston and I READ JY!
    Same here! Only I was born in Washington (the most boring and rainy state ever!). I read JY and I have been getting my friends interested too! I've loved JY's novels and movies since I watched my very first one (back when I was... like... 5 or something...)
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    Same here! Only I was born in Washington (the most boring and rainy state ever!). I read JY and I have been getting my friends interested too! I've loved JY's novels and movies since I watched my very first one (back when I was... like... 5 or something...)

in my own knowledge...i do know a lOT who love Jin Yong novels...no matter chinese or english translate....anyways...i lyk ROCH most...love is realli the most touching and valuable thing in these world...pleasant and sweet
    问世间情是何物,直教生死相许
    What on earth is love? Love is something that makes you willing to die for your beloved

i have read all of JY novels and a few of gulong novels. as far as i know, most of friends do not really read, they tend to watch the tv adaptations of the novels

Default Well

I actually read the book. I seem to be only person that is born in America in my grade that reads JY. The rest are all pansies. My difference to other Amercans in chinese word knowledge is like comparing ZWJ to ZZR before she learned 9 Yin. Therefore I'm the only one that can actually read the book. My classmates will all be like "HUH???" I started reading when I was 13 when I found them (1st editions) on my parents book shelf. At that time, I can recognize 80% of the words, making me be able to read and understand it. Now I can read 90%, a few words, I guess.

i am in the older generation. how old? old enough to remember hsds 79 when it was shown in TV.
    i have never read a JY novel and i think never will.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    i am in the older generation. how old? old enough to remember hsds 79 when it was shown in TV.
    But was it the world premiere of the series first broadcast in Hong Kong in 1979? Subsequent reruns don't count.

My first wuxia TV series was TVB's LUK SIU FUNG, but I can't say I saw it on the first Hong Kong broadcast (I was born and grew up in the U.S.) I think I saw its first Southern California broadcast in 1980, and by that time, the series was already a few years old.

good one ken. i watched hsds 79 i think in 1981.

I cannot really read chinese, my reading is quite poor, but i still watch the tv adaptions. I know all the popular Jin Yong Stories and also most Gu Long ones as well.....

I might try to read a book soon.....but it'd take me ages to get through one.....
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Quote Originally Posted by kamii
    I cannot really read chinese, my reading is quite poor, but i still watch the tv adaptions. I know all the popular Jin Yong Stories and also most Gu Long ones as well.....

I might try to read a book soon.....but it'd take me ages to get through one.....
    My chinese is pretty poor too so I read the asiapac ROCH comics when the translation here stalled.Are there other wuxia comics that are faithful to the novels?

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    My chinese is pretty poor too so I read the asiapac ROCH comics when the translation here stalled.Are there other wuxia comics that are faithful to the novels?
    I know there are these Hong Kong comics with extremely good graphics, but I just glanced through them so I'm not sure how close they are to the novels. Looked quite impressive, though.

To address the topic... I'm 19 and only know of 1 Jin Yong reader. Though the broadcasts here of Mainland adaptations (LOCH and DGSD) have generated much interest, nobody seems to read the novels at all. In fact, when my friends flip through my novels (I usually carry 1 around with me), they get easily intimidated by the lines and lines of Chinese words and ask me how on earth I can read these things. Of course, it might just be the crowd I hang out with, they're the westernized bunch.

But even my China-fied friends don't read Jin Yong. They watch adaptations and fall in love with the actors. In fact, some of them talk to me about DGSD but they don't even know it was written by Jin Yong.

I think there will always be a market for Jin Yong, just that the novels might be slowly overshadowed by the adaptations. Thankfully we now have the Mainland adaptations which are much more faithful.. not quite the same, but it's better than the way-off plots you get in other versions.

Nah only old farts like me read the novels.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."