Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Split Second 《爭分奪秒》

Whilst we're on the subject of police depts., what is the O-kei (excuse the bad translation) dept and what is that equivalent to (roughly) in the American system (i say american only because their crime dramas are pretty much seen in most countries and hence the better chance of possibly relating it to something).

Would i be correct in saying that the members of the O-kei force are meant to be more elite than the members of the CIU??
    There is always room to smile everyday. Alternatively, you can laugh yourself silly once a week.

Default Split Second... Uh...

Has anyone seen this new X-files-Alias-Bond flick wanna-be series? Any thoughts?

My rental lady gave this series a rave about how unpredictable and refreshing this series is and how she stayed up until 3 am to keep chasing the episodes. Silly me, why did I listen to her - she wants to eat all my tape quota

I gave 3 VCDs' chance to like this series. It bore me to death. I don't understand the hype, at least according to my rental lady.

The undercover cop vs. criminal underworld evil is such a tedious, been-there-done-that formula.

it is out already??
    i can't find it in HK!
    the store owner said it was too new just finised playing in HK i believe?
    where there is people, there is conflict. deal with it.

Maybe give it another chance. I was completely disappointed at first, but after a few episodes, it did get better. It does copy "Infernal Affairs" in certain parts, though.

Default some thoughts

It copies a bit of the 24 time expectancy, as SS covers a period of a day while 24 goes by the hour but SS totally fails to imitate any thrill or urgency. It drags on and on, quipped with anti-climatic, not to mention stupid deaths just to add more angst and determination for the men in the game. The entire set up of the first few minutes of the first episode is practically taken from the movie PTU. I recognized it right off the bat. The series is overriddened with roof scenes, a la Infernal Affairs. I mean, it really only works a couple of times, the rest is overkill. I was actually glad to see parts of Thailand as it's an exterior I can't recognize.

The 2nd to last week of the ratings in HK is 26, which when down from a sad 28 already, not to forgot all the complaints there's been over this series. I think there's more talk over what they rip off and how much they rip off than the actual details of the series itself.

With that said, I think Patrick and Marco and a couple of others does a pretty good job with the poor writing they were given.

The most irritating couple has to be Alex and Yoyo and I'm 2 episodes away from the end and still can't wait for their deaths sooner, not that I'm saying they will die but they definitely should. I really can't fathom how Alex's character could even have build such a deepened live-and-death love and protection for Yoyo's character in such a short time span. Yoyo's character literally has utterly no social redeeming value whatsoever. She spent 30 days embarked on ruining people's lives and goes off on the deep end. The more she tries, the more damage she inflicts. It's pretty pathetic. I just dislike her more, I don't sympathize with her at all. Of course, I think Yoyo the actor, can't act her way out of a paper bag, but that's me. And Alex is majorly typecasted and I don't buy him when he does emotional scenes.

I'm conflicted with Kevin's acting as it does seem rather familiar <coughes>andylau</coughes>. But there's one thing I really hope they have on the script is the explanation of his character's hard-coreness with the case. He was just depicted that way without reason, especially knowing about his terminal status, one would think there must be a telling story behind it.

The soundtrack is starting to tick me off. It's used so damn often it's become like a cue to let the audience know when something dramatic comes on, when the big reveal comes on, and etc. It so doesn't work. It really doesn't hurt to come up with more varieties of background music. TVB's probably going to reuse the ones we've head here on other simliar genre series, like they always do. The dubbing of the Thai actors is pretty awful, with their strange accents. I actually think Cheung Gam Ching provided the canto dubbing for Sam, but I could be wrong. But it sure sounds like him. And it's weird when you know the HK actors talk to Sam cause they have to pretend to really grasp what each other is saying.

Just when I thought they'll actually let this series be a good guy/bad guy cop series, they have this superstitious future-telling crap undertoning as a subplot that serves to drive some of the characters is a major turn off for me.

It really doesn't get better at all. It's cheese but if you like cheese go for it. But one couldn't critique it unless they sat through it.

WOH! Is it really That bad???!
    Life is what U make it...
    ...So make sure U live with no regrets...
    ...and live it to the MAXX!!!

I've just finished episdoe 15. Finally saw that major twist involving someone's death.

Default split second

wow, this is so cool~! it's sorta like the series '24' by in hk. i'm up to chaper 13 (although i'm supposed to be studying for my uni exams?~ haha) but it's just so addictive. that thai actor sam is quite a spunk

does anyone know what number this series finishes?
    ×x× Đőņņå ×x×

recently watched:
    shine on you
    to get unstuck in time
    placebo cure
    war & beauty
    to catch the uncatchable

currently watching
    split second

Quote Originally Posted by donnameiling

does anyone know what number this series finishes?
    It has 30 episodes, if that's what you are looking for.

only till 20 when theres is proof of real id of cheng kwan
    "He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly." Zhou Yu

i saw the ending..i dunt get it...=x..who saw the ending? can u explain it to me?
    raymond lam is soo sexiiii...<33

oh my gosh

i just finished watching episode 13 and that was like.. oh my gosh~! i can't believe it. it was so scary~!

haha
    ×x× Đőņņå ×x×

recently watched:
    shine on you
    to get unstuck in time
    placebo cure
    war & beauty
    to catch the uncatchable

currently watching
    split second

Quote Originally Posted by SaraCrystalWater
    WOH! Is it really That bad???!
    YES . Its a PTU, Infernal Affairs, A Hero Never Dies, Running Out of Time, 24 and other popular movies and dramas wannabe drama but it has an awful storyline and annoying music.

Personally, I find the music one of its highlights.

But yes, it indeed copies 24, Running Out of Time, Infernal Affairs, PTU, and even "Greed of Man".

It manages to keep me watching, though.

Has anyone seen the ending yet? Damn, I hate it! Everything is just so unlogical!

Exclamation song search! whats the song that plays when yunyun(phoong gi wais daughter) dies?

someone wanna help me find what this songs called and whose it sung by or have a link for it?

when phoong gi wai's daughter died (yunyun), a song plays. a lady sings it and it goes something like 'everybodys sad, everybody cries, everybody has feelings.. something something" dont know the words, then at the end of the chorus it goes: "feelings are a part of how we grow..."

aww i love this song, please help me find it, please! thanks

Default whats the song in split second, when yunyun(phoong gi wai's daughter) died?

someone wanna help me find what this songs called and whose it sung by or have a link for it?

when phoong gi wai's daughter died (yunyun), a song plays. a lady sings it and it goes something like 'everybodys sad, everybody cries, everybody has feelings.. something something" dont know the words, then at the end of the chorus it goes: "feelings are a part of how we grow..."

Quote Originally Posted by jasonkidd38
    YES . Its a PTU, Infernal Affairs, A Hero Never Dies, Running Out of Time, 24 and other popular movies and dramas wannabe drama but it has an awful storyline and annoying music.

It doesn't even qualify as music. It's a mishmash of digitalized MIDI farts.

Usually, TVB always does at least a decent job on lyrics and themesongs even when they bomb on everything else. They had to bomb on that oh-so-irritating themesong too.

Quote Originally Posted by simayee
    Has anyone seen this new X-files-Alias-Bond flick wanna-be series? Any thoughts?

My rental lady gave this series a rave about how unpredictable and refreshing this series is and how she stayed up until 3 am to keep chasing the episodes. Silly me, why did I listen to her - she wants to eat all my tape quota

I gave 3 VCDs' chance to like this series. It bore me to death. I don't understand the hype, at least according to my rental lady.

The undercover cop vs. criminal underworld evil is such a tedious, been-there-done-that formula.
    Well I just finished the entire series and I give it a 6.5/10.

Plot / Story: I think the problem here is that first of all its a collaboration project between Thai TV and TVB (perhaps some policing authorities too on highlighting the drug trafficking problem between HK and Thailand). Anyway, the series tries to hash too many other original ideas into one. Basically the time frame was a copy of 24 (except its a month here, not 24 hrs), some bits of IA - the whole cops and robbers thing and various bits and pieces from other movies.

The end result is a crappy series with an overload of characters (I suppose an extension of IA and padding to pad out it into a series length). SS DID have potential and various parts were quite good but in general it tried too hard to pack too much in and use top TVB and newcomers (kinda like IA I and II) to promote it. It took me about 3 tapes of 6 chapters to realise what was going on.

Characters:

Well to an extent, most of the characters can be related to the IA movie:

Patrick Tam -> Tony Leung.
    Kevin Cheng -> Anthony Wong.
    Moses Chan -> Leon Lai? (has links to triads, people are sus about him, but in the end perhaps turns out good?)

The cast did a good job, but some characters were given little screen time (Fiona Yuen).

The Thai actress was stunning and very tall. The Thai undercover doode was good.

Patrick Tam potrayed his character well, so did Marco Ngai. Alex Fong's character was unbelievable, I mean would anyone really be that crazy? He turned from a dead drunk cop into a mad man pretty damn quickly. On a side note, is it me or that he has been pigeoned holes into two roles.

1. The frustrated cop hell bent on breaking loose.

2. The stoic late 30s/early 40s professional who has many women.

He seems to put on a frustrated face in every TVB production.
    Plot holes / General complaints (as observed - I could be wrong, so dont jump me):

Although Marco did a good job, I thought TVB should have given Moses Chan a try in that role (as the gangster).

1. Patrick Tam getting off his herion addiction THAT quick (I dont think so in real life).

2. Hau Man Wui (Marco Ngai's brother) - its pretty damn stupid, seems rushed that in the end, he become a calm and loyal brother. In about tape number 7, it seemed like he had other motives and was conveyed to be a little evil. Maybe if the script could have been rewritten a lil better to make him more evil and stuff, it would be more interesting. Its quite silly to see him back to a normal guy (not even avenging for his bro's death).

3. In the final episodes, we hear Cheng Kwan saying that he has met his sons before or after or whatever and that the two younger ones didnt call him Dad. If so, how the hell didnt Hau Man Ying (second bro) not realise who Cheng Kwan or Kwan Suk was in the scene with him begging Marco Ngai?

4. The characters of Mandy Cho and Lai Lok Yee kinda split off pretty quickly into the background, especially the latter.

5. The final three tapes were mainly focusing on the main characters.

6. Tapes 7 to 10 seemed very rushed (somehow if they worked on the newly appoited chief inspector's bribery scandals more, of maybe create an evil twist he turns out to be evil would have made it a bit better).

7. Pretty lame how everyone dies in the end with Alex Fong turning into a mad man.

8. It would have been a whole lot more interesting IF it become a mole vs. undercover cops game. Perhaps more planted moles within the police force would have made better. I must admit, the chase to see who is the mole within CIB division was one of the highlights of SS.

9. Kevin Cheng's medical problem, seriously he dies just like if he died in his sleep peacefully. Now, I'm not an MD or anything BUTTTTTTTTT have you seen anyone with a cancer or diesease die this way so calmly and peacefully? Also another thing, if you had one month to live, wouldnt you be so damn weak .. youll probably be wheeled straight into hospital? It seemed his drugs were so damn powerful to refresh him. Another final thing, doctors are hardly that accurate in predicting how much longer you will live.

10. Didn't attempt at all to describe Mandy Cho's involvement with Marco Ngai.

11. Patrick Tam suddenly seeing the monks on the street in bangkok, I mean how coincidental!

12. Recycling old songs, like Moon River, could TVB have at least produced something. Maybe Patrick Tam and Rita Jensen could do some kind of duet in English?

In all it tried to pack so much and too many sub plots into the entire series it left the viewer confused and unsatisfied at how quickly some things were ended or never explained. Perhaps if it did follow the plot of IA more it would have been more enjoyable to watch.

Oh well, thats my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by harhar; 11-13-04 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeey

It's called "A Part of Me", but I don't know who the singer is. This song is also featured in the alternative ending of "To Catch the Uncatchable".