Thread: Who's the best fighter in Feng Shen Yan Yi (Cannonization of the Gods)?

Default Who's the best fighter in Feng Shen Yan Yi (Cannonization of the Gods)?

Who's the best fighter in Feng Shen Yan Yi (Cannonization of the Gods)?

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Condor
    Who's the best fighter in Feng Shen Yan Yi (Cannonization of the Gods)?

Well, I'll try to flame the discussion:

The three-eyed person (his name is Yo Cian in Minnan dialect) with his dog (btw who knows that dog's name? I'm a big fan of that dog) is slightly better than Sun Wu Kung.

btw, it's canonization (not cannonization)

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    Well, I'll try to flame the discussion:

The three-eyed person (his name is Yo Cian in Minnan dialect) with his dog (btw who knows that dog's name? I'm a big fan of that dog) is slightly better than Sun Wu Kung.

btw, it's canonization (not cannonization)
    He looks like a clown and acts like one in the anime adoptation. Still kicks butt though. The main character is a doof in the anime and the fox woman is a hottie.

Check out the anime. Fun stuff, though not very close to the novel. But guys and gals are cute.

is Yuanshi Tianzun (Heavenly Lord of Everything) in it? If so he should be the strongest.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Battosai View Post
    He looks like a clown and acts like one in the anime adoptation. Still kicks butt though. The main character is a doof in the anime and the fox woman is a hottie.

Check out the anime. Fun stuff, though not very close to the novel. But guys and gals are cute.
    that dog's names is xiao tian chuan

This is one of my most favorite stories. My mom LOVES it and re-reads it from time to time. I think the best fighter is Yang Xian(I think that is how you spell his name). In the story, it is him, Na Zha, and Lei Zhan Zi that do the most fighting... A lot of the others are good fighters too so I am not 100% sure who is really the "best".

By the way, how accurate is the recent adaption with Steve and Fan Bing bing?? If it is accurate to the novel, I would love to see it. The one by TVB as a big joke. The one from china made in the 90s was a good adaption, but they cut out too much...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Never read Journey to the West, but if the 3 Eyed God was better than Wukong, how'd he manage to cause so much havoc? Isn't it like in wuxia where if you have someone equal to him then with some help you should be able to subdue him pretty easily? And reading the wikipedia article on the Jade Emperor...he seems the most powerful if it's any bit accurate. Had roughly a couple billion/trillion years of training !

Quote Originally Posted by seventhfairy View Post
    that dog's names is xiao tian chuan
    It's 'quan', not 'chuan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    This is one of my most favorite stories. My mom LOVES it and re-reads it from time to time. I think the best fighter is Yang Xian(I think that is how you spell his name). In the story, it is him, Na Zha, and Lei Zhan Zi that do the most fighting... A lot of the others are good fighters too so I am not 100% sure who is really the "best".

By the way, how accurate is the recent adaption with Steve and Fan Bing bing?? If it is accurate to the novel, I would love to see it. The one by TVB as a big joke. The one from china made in the 90s was a good adaption, but they cut out too much...
    Never watched it, but this version seems to be more sympathetic/objective towards Daji (FBB) than the standard "I'm-pure-evil" treatment, so I've read.

The name's Yang Jian, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Never read Journey to the West, but if the 3 Eyed God was better than Wukong, how'd he manage to cause so much havoc? Isn't it like in wuxia where if you have someone equal to him then with some help you should be able to subdue him pretty easily? And reading the wikipedia article on the Jade Emperor...he seems the most powerful if it's any bit accurate. Had roughly a couple billion/trillion years of training !
    Two different stories, and JthW is pro-Buddhism, meaning that Taoism and Taoist gods are disgraced to glorify Buddhist deities such as Sun Wukong.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I would say Bi gan, the uncle of the shang emperor. The guy with the whip which took the concerted efforts of virtually all the zhou generals and advisors to take down

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post

Never watched it, but this version seems to be more sympathetic/objective towards Daji (FBB) than the standard "I'm-pure-evil" treatment, so I've read.

Two different stories, and JthW is pro-Buddhism, meaning that Taoism and Taoist gods are disgraced to glorify Buddhist deities such as Sun Wukong.
    Thanks for letting me know what you think. If you ever see it, please let me know if it is worth watching.I guess they are making it that way because FBB played the role and I have not seen her play an evil role yet. Thanks for the correction! I knew it was either Jian or Xian, but wasn't sure which one since I tend to forget...

I just asked my mom and she said that Yang Jian is one of the best. But there were many many other gods/goddesses from the heavens that were really good as well...Therefore, I am not sure....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    I would say Bi gan, the uncle of the shang emperor. The guy with the whip which took the concerted efforts of virtually all the zhou generals and advisors to take down
    Really?? Is he the same one that was forced to give up his heart to save DaJi?? I didn't know that he was that good... I need to ask my mom...

I just asked my mom and she said that Bi Gan is not generally a good warrior/fighter, but he knows how to organize and lead the troops and fighters so that they can succeed.
    Last edited by Trinie; 03-31-09 at 11:28 PM.

Sun Wukong isn't really a Buddhist Diety. He is considered more along the lines of Taoist or local folk religion.

Although many branches of modern asian buddhism do incorporate a monkey god (Thai temples), it's not quite Sun Wukong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Sun Wukong isn't really a Buddhist Diety. He is considered more along the lines of Taoist or local folk religion.

Although many branches of modern asian buddhism do incorporate a monkey god (Thai temples), it's not quite Sun Wukong.
    Then you just proved the point. Remember that Sun Wukong was (easily) defeated by and then subsequently submitted to Buddhism, and then was elevated to a Buddhist rank in the novel.

If that's true, why was Guan Yin portrayed in a negative, albeit subtle, manner?

Where can I find a good summary of this story? I'm very interested in its premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    If that's true, why was Guan Yin portrayed in a negative, albeit subtle, manner?
    How so? Please provide explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    Goddess Guan Yin was protrayed as a merciful goddess.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

How so? Please provide explanation.
    It's been more than ten years since I've read Journey to the West so excuse me for not remembering the exact details of the story.

Basically, Guan Yin carelessly loses a troublemaking servant who then creates havoc on earth. Eventually, Sun comes upon this troublemaker and teaches the villain a lesson. Guan Yin then is made aware of the situation but instead of admitting her carelessness, she scolds Sun instead for whatever minor mistake he might have commited.

Like I said, it's a subtle criticism. Guan Yin is made to look petty and small minded but the author doesn't outright say so.

A similar example of such criticism occurs at the end when Sun is asked for money by the monks guarding the scripture. The monks are clearly in the wrong even though the story seems to be saying otherwise.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 04-07-09 at 04:56 PM.

I think Feng Sheng Bang was a better story than Journey to the West since JTTW became really redundant after awhile. I am not sure if there is a summary of this story anywhere. I think it is better if you just read it because it is such a great story.If you can't read Chinese, you can always read it in English. There is a published English version for sale. I wanted to get it, but it was too expensive. My mom loves it more than any WuXia novels...