Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: War And Beauty 《金枝慾孽》

Hmmm, I'm not too sure myself but I remember earlier in the series someone explained the poem to Moses and it's basically along the lines of a girl who's trapped in the palace/Forbidden City and longs to get out or something and be with her loved one, or simply longing for love. I know for sure that the last two words were "Keep safe" or "Be well" or something.

I found the ending of War and Beauty very suitable and perfect. Even though Maggie's ending wasn't as depressing as Sheren's or as romantic as Gigi's and Bowie's, I loved her ending the most. I found it very beautiful and well shot when she simply laid her head on Moses' shoulder and closes her eyes, presumably dead, and Charmaine cries silently. Very beautiful with Sheren reciting the poem at the background and the final shot of the gorgeous scenery. The conversation Maggie has with Moses just before she dies is pretty depressing and ironic, considering that when he wakes her up, she won't be able to wake up. Sigh, imagine what Moses would feel after he discovers Maggie is dead! And on the same day when his best friend dies as well

I believe that Maggie, Gigi and Bowie had the best ending. Sure, all three of them died but sometimes dying is better than living. If Bowie and Gigi lived, then they would have to face horrible consequences affecting both them and their families. Besides, dying in the embrace of a loved one is always wonderful, despite the fact that it must have been incredibly painful. And although Maggie did die, she died knowing that Moses loved her (I think) and he was also the last person she saw before passing away. Although, again, the arrow in the body must have killed! Charmaine was my favourite character out of all the series. Although people complain about her being boring and dull, I found it quite suitable -- her character wasn't as loud or out-there as Gigi's was, it required a more understated, subtle form of acting and Charmiane delivered it well. Yee Shun was weak, having been manipulated by Eunuch Tsui all her life but I believe that she has a kind heart underneath it all and could be called complex. She was a simple girl who wanted a simple life with the man she loved; unfortunately, she couldn't get it. [if you disagree with me, you can say it; I'd love hearing different points of views ^_^]

Jade looked very beautiful in the series, particularly in the winter scenes with that fluffy white thing around her head ^^* Although I didn't think much of her acting skills. It must have hurt to wear those shoes those! Aren't they just like slippers or something wif a block of wood stuck directly on the sole?

Overall, I loved the series. Very intense with excellent acting and beautiful costumes and scenery; this is one of the rare series where I was completely mesmerised.

Your review mirrors mine. I am starting to think that perhaps you and I are one and the same ... down to those litle phrases and wordings...shudder!!

Default In regards to prequel/sequel...and ending

I don't think it would be interesting to have a prequel. Supposely, Gigi's character was suppose to be 16-18? years old....(I think I read it from TVBspace when Sheren commented that Gigi did facial everyday to look like a 16? year old....that was so unbelievable to believe even though Gigi is young-looking...but definately not as young as 16 nor 18 yrs old). How much more earlier on could you portray Gigi and Charmaine's character? Besides, I think there are not a lot of loopholes needed to be explained nor any more interesting and new information about the characters to write about in the prequel....except maybe Sheren and the queen's earlier story. And even if you have the prequel, Sheren can not portray a younger Yu Fei.

However, on the other hand, they could a little more with a sequel regarding this type of genre serie....maybe War&Leadership? I would like to see some guys with power...how the princes fight for the throne. Since Charmaine is still pregnant at the end, she may give birth to a boy..which would be one of the princes. Of course, she's too young to play a mom, but they could flashbacks part of thing. The concubines would fight to help their sons get the throne. Or they can show how princesses live in that life.

------------------------------------------
    As for the ending, I think it ended fairly well, but not necessarily well for the characters.

Sheren- Even though living...she has to continue the fight against the Queen again, still lonely, lost Moses, lost 2 child

Maggie- She died, but yet she didn't fulfill her desire for revenge, she would died knowing she would never have the chance to live a happy and peaceful life with Moses.

Charmaine- True, she did live, and even though the ending reflects that Charmaine would fulfill all the concubines wishes to live life happily away from the palace... But really would she be happy living? To know that Bowie never loved her, that everything she did really had no point or purpose anymore, that she would give birth to a child she had with someone she doesn't love...and I guess she would probably never find out...but if she ever did that Jade is her sister and she died....and to live to an old age remembering all this...regretting....it would not be too happy. I would say she would probably be the worse off.

Gigi and Bowie- Well even though they died together, and people consider it romantic. I didn't think so. I think it's kind of eerie that they died embracing each other. Plus, Gigi's pregnant...that means not only an innocent child gets pull into it, Bowie's blood line is also gone....and who really guarantees that the emperor wouldn't do anything to their families? (I thought they could've gotten a way out of this if they tried....really, there's only Gigi's mom, Bowie's dad and wife...not to hard to run away and hide....Gigi's family treat her and her mom bad anyway, so screw them if there the emperor proclaim a massacre on her family)

Moses- He lives, but he lives knowing that he can't be with the women he love. He also will never learn the truth about the hankerchief (it belonging to sheren). I guess he would go on fine, but he sure loss a lot of good friends.

The Empress- Actually I sympatize with her, she does indeed show that she really loves the emperor like she said to the emperor.."other women treat you as a master....only I treat you as a husband with love" and the stupid emperor didn't care, and threatens to seize her empress status away. Not to mention, she has to fight the war again with Sheren and many other people.
    Last edited by Jadedreams27; 10-10-04 at 01:37 AM.

No offense, but i thought Gigi's decision to go back was a bit stupid. In such chaos, if you were not found, you were presumed dead. And the empress is not going to spend time and resources to find you out in the world and birng you back into the palace. She would most likely make up some story that Gigi died in the chaos, get a corspe, dress in female clothes, disfigure it and say it was Gigi.

The Emperor wants to save face, so he's not going to execute Gigi's family without a good and able to be announced excuse. And if he does, why not the gang go by the house, grab the mum and run before the emperor makes his decision (cos it would be some time since he has to reorder the mess inside the palace)! And you get the mum to fake her death as well (place shoes by the cliff or by the river)!

You don't have to wallow in riches and status to be a happy woman! I think Gigi's mum would just be happy seeing her daughter happy and safe, and that herself would no longer need to be bullied by the rest of the family. She just hasn't been thinking from her mum's POV, and doomed herself, Bowie, her baby and Bowie's bloodline (unless Bowie's dad gets another wife).

And anyway, even if she + Bowie were found burnt dead, the emperor still has a chance to be still angry and secretly order the death of the family. Gigi's plan at the end is just not logical enough

I think TVB has tried too hard to make Gigi + Bowie's ending dramatic and romantic that it sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I think it would have been netter if they all just left the palace.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I agree with you all about Gigi and Bowie's ending. It was stupid for Gigi to have stayed. Them dying in each others arms would probably just make the emperor more mad. But I guess if they escaped they would be a happy couple, and the whole series was sad. So I guess it wouldn't make sense to have a happy ending for them.

Yeah, Gigi and Bowie's love affair seems a bit forced at certain parts.

Lightbulb War And Beauty Limited Edition DVD SET

I've just read this news and am just so excited that TVB is releasing DVDs for WAR AND BEAUTY.

However, I live in the USA. I don't know how I can buy one.

I want one!

http://shop.tvb.com:8080/tvb/ShopVCD...atID=C00000003

[Ta Kung Pao & The Sun 15/10/04]

Hit TVB drama "War and Beauty" has finished airing, but many viewers still miss the classic scenes and there has been a surge of pirated VCD's available on the market. In order to avoid losing out on the profits of this popularity, TVB has decided in a unique move to launch a set of limited edition special boxed set DVD's of the series at the beginning of November. There will only be 3000 sets available that are available for pre-order and the normal VCD sets will not yet be available.

TVB's Deputy External Affairs Chief Tsang Sing Ming indicates that in the past, TVB will only release VCD versions of series at least five years after the show has been aired, so releasing this special edition DVD set is a groundbreaking move. This special set of DVD's will be packaged in a gold-coloured box containing eleven DVD's with three episodes in each one. The discs also contain subtitles in traditional and simplified Chinese as well as English. There will also be a bonus DVD that includes interviews with the cast and crew and some behind the scenes footage as well as autographed postcards of the six leads, a souvenir brochure, a copy of On Sin's handkerchief and Yee Shun's herb pouch. Each DVD set will be individually numbered and priced at $588. TVB will also be holding an autograph session with the stars upon the launch of the DVD set.

A fight has already started for the reservations for these sets, with most of the sets with serial numbers containing 8's and 9's already gone. Also, there are some rumours as to why only On Sin and Yee Shun's items are included - is this a suggestion of who will win this year's favourite female lead award?

Priority for the reservation has been given first to TVB staff and artistes and when Charmaine Sheh heard about these sets, she was very excited, saying: "I am still choosing my favourite numbers and my family and friends have already asked me to order some for them. I don't mind which number I get." Currently in Shanghai, Maggie Cheung indicates: "I will try my best to get some, I hope to get a few more for my family and friends and stand a better chance of receiving a lucky number." Bowie Lam says he did not know about internal pre-ordering, saying: "We should give more opportunities to the public, but I will buy one as a keepsake." Gigi Lai indicates that the company has reserved one for her as a souvenir and Sheren Tang says: "I have chosen my birthday date 0302! I am planning on buying two sets, but I think 3000 is too few and will result in broking." As for Moses Chan, he says the company has saved a set for him and when asked what number he would like on it, he says: "I don't like the number 8." TVB Production Resources Deputy Chief Lok Yik Ling indicates that she does not believe that there is a fight for numbers going on internally, but she has bought several sets for her friends.

As for the fight on already for internal orders, distributing company Modern Audio's General Manager Chim Fung says: "Although the box set has not yet officially been launched, the response from internal orders has already been very active and the lucky numbers of 8 and 9 have had a lot of reservations on them. There have also been some duplicate requests, so we will handle these accordingly." With this sudden decision to release the DVD's, is this to do with the fight against piracy? Mr Chim replies: "Not at all, it is just to meet the demands of the markets. (Are you worried that 3000 sets will not be enough?) We don't want to spoil the occasions, so we will not be publishing any more limited editions. (Will there be an ordinary version?) It will be at least three or four years before the normal versions will be available."

http://tvbspacenews.blogspot.com/

I would love to have this! Pity I can't buy it. Stupid TVB needs to ship overseas
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

So apparently what I heard is that they have a priority pre-order in HK and when the thing is officially released, there will be a certain number of sets that would be sold overseas.
    But even with the HK price, it's still about 75 dollars US....too expensive, it's like 3 days of part time for me...But I really really want that hankie that comes with it.

i kinda wish mainland china would release this version also. with the same quality, but with a cheaper price oh, i love to have this! but isn't it unfair that tvb staff and the actors/actresses get priorities? i agree with bowie, they should give more opportunity to the public. i wish i can watch the bonus cd (which i doubt i could)
    Last edited by cherrie; 10-20-04 at 01:49 AM.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

my dad's friend already have the rental edition of dvd set. you can buy it in toronto at Market Village. however, it's $100 plus tax. i'm uncertain about the limited box set but i'm pretty sure some stores will be selling it in toronto. (*cough* cd-dog *cough*)

if it wasn't for the fact that i have already ripped the entire dvd set to divx format already, i might have considered buying this limited box set.

Wink War and Beauty

Hey,
    a lot of pplz say WAB is very good but i think that the grammer they use is a little hard to understand. wat do yous think?

who ends up with who??????

well.. if you really wanna know...

************MAJOR SPOILERS********************

Sheren ends up back in the palace ready to face the empress again after the rebellion...

Bowie and gigi are burnt alive together by the empresses ppl...

charmaine, maggie and moses leave the palace... but maggie is shot but an arrow on the way out... she dies on moses shoulder without moses knowing it...

So i guess no one ends up with anyone but it was still a very good series
    Inferno's TVB Blog - Come visit my blog with TVB series thoughts, reviews, analysis, and more!

yea i also thought it was stupid for gigi to go back.. i mean.. they coulda left and had a better chance of survival... anyways... wat happened to jades body since it wasnt in the coffin? did they mention this at all?
    Inferno's TVB Blog - Come visit my blog with TVB series thoughts, reviews, analysis, and more!

heh....if you don't get it, grab the DVD. it's got english subtitles.

Cool war and beauty spoilers

so do you mean everyone dies except for charmaine, moses and sharon?
    wat did bowie and gigi do to be burnt alive? but anyway why did they all want to leave the palace together?
    thanks

********More Spoilers********

ok... so out of the main cast only moses, sheren, and charmaine lived...

Gigi and bowie were burnt alive by the empress... who used the rebellion as a weapon against the other concubines.... she took advantage and killed them, burning them alive, and in the end it was "supposedly" the rebels who did it... plus.. bowie and gig had a baby together and the emperer found out so they woulda died anyways... bowie tried to get gigi to leave but gigi refused to leave the palace so they got killed..

Cahrmaine wanted to leave the palace because news about her godfather had gotten through to the empress.... The empress was going to figure out that her godfather had charmaine and jade put into the palace to gain power... so jade took poison so that charmaine could leave in her coffin since no one checked those on the way out... Bowie and his father and wife let the palace.. cuz they did something to offend the empress (rite? ) Jade asked bowie to take charmaine away before she died.... but bowie had to get gigi and left charmaine with moses and maggie..

Moses and maggie had to leave because of the rebellion... plus.. the empress discovered maggies plan for revenge and maggie needed to leave the palace or she woulda been killed by the empress...

I've been slowly watching this 30 episode TV drama series from Hong Kong called "War and Beauty" which is believed taken and derived from Chinese history about the emperor's concubine, Madam Yue (Sheren Teng), having her place threatened in the throne after the next batch of concubine candidates arrive (there is a recruitment of new concubines every 3 years). In order to keep his majesty's favortism kept to Yue, she intends to find a successor to her throne knowing in fact, that one day, she will grow old and wither. On the other hand, 2 cousins/former bandits (Moses Chan and that other dude...i forgot his name) come to the Capital in search of a career in the palace and they go through many lengths to get to where they are. (Note: for some reason, they remind me of Tony Montana and Manolo. hahaha!)

Now, I've been watching this show for the last few weeks and trying to get into this show but dammit, their ancient lingo is hard to understand. Another thing, I feel no sympathy for the characters. They're all evil! It's like a political cat-fight one after another. Seriously, if I wanted to see a cat fight, I'd like to see it go physical with a touch of mud. and that dude, Bowie Lam, i dunno what's with him? He's a highly paid and professional imperial doctor who lives in a brothel. He even sleeps with *****s! What the hell's wrong with him?! I know it's one thing to have a grudge on your father but it's not excuseable enough to hate him so much to live in a *****house. The only characters that keep me watching this show are Moses Chan and the dude who plays his cousin. Even the way they were introduced, was exactly like Scarface (minus the cars but with horses and a wagon). I haven't seen the whole show yet, in fact, I'm halfway thru already. I just don't see why it's so damned overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by cindizzzle
    It is true that they all looked prettier in the winter scenes. It's probabaly the makeup and the white background, they also had better outfits. But I think this series really brought out the beauty in all the women. I don't think I've seen them prettier in other series.

Oh and I really liked the theme song. Bowie sang it right? He's a pretty good singer. The song suited the series very well.

Oh I didn't understand Yu Fei's poem at the end. Can someone tell me what she was saying?
    If you watched the VCD version there are English subs on the poem -

I don't have the exact lines but they mostly say this:

A lonely concubine who hates the four walls that confine her freedom to taste the world and life beyond. She hopes that the carrier of her handkerchief will be able to fulfill her dream that she cannot fulfill herself - to go beyond the palace walls and live a life she can only dream of. In the palace she says there not out of love but out of hatred and bitterness. She wishes that those who leave the palace will carry on hope and realize their dreams, therefore realizing her hopes too. She tells them to take care on their journey.

The poem was a blessing to Charmaine, Hung Mo, and On-sin, but Lady Yue remained behind.

All in all it is a beautiful and poetic ending.

I'm on chapter 29 now and I can't believe the amount of people that have died already. It is absolutely insane. Although everyone here is evil, I understand their need for it, it's almost their way of survival in the palace.

Does anyone notice the interesting choice in lipstick shade that the female characters wear? Especially Maggie in chapter 29, she's wearing orange.