Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Yang Guo's appeal

Default Yang Guo's appeal

I posted this in the "YG ZWJ" topic but I thought I should make a topic out of this.

If YG was fugly, would he still be your favourite? or to put it another way, would you like him less? Would it change his appeal (not to me, to some of you).

what is fugly ??
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

I think Yang Guo is a very human character. Most flawed heroes are the most appealing ones, compared to ones that are so ultra good that you want to throw up.

Yang Guo is too sissy for my liking

It's OK to have flawed characters because flaws can make a character more interesting, but Yeung Gor's flaws hold no appeal for me. His flaws cause me to disapprove of him rather than sympathize with him.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    I think Yang Guo is a very human character. Most flawed heroes are the most appealing ones, compared to ones that are so ultra good that you want to throw up.
    the best hero is the one who have the highest percentage of *anti-hero*, like most Clint Eastwood hero-potrayal or Mel Gibson in payback and certainly YG is in the same league and surely not ZWJ and totally and hundred percent sure GJ also not in the same group.

For upholding righteousness, GJ keep mistreating HR again and again and also accusing his father in law killing his masters without investigating. Not only this guy were stupid he also naive in the same league with Forrest Gump.

Certainly Jin Yong have written a totally contradicting character which totally not exist in real life, someone so stupid and naive however can grasp an intricate and complex martial arts all 18 of them, plus another 72, plus the L/R and also the JYZG manual.

In real life someone with the mind like GJ only exist in autistic person, certain autistic children have shown highly intelligent in maths but totally can't interact with others in life

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    I think WXB really fits ur criteria
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

What the...this topic is not to discuss what makes YG appealing.

The question is "What if YG is f**k ugly (thats what fugly stands for toon) ?"

Will it affect his appeal to the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng
    I posted this in the "YG ZWJ" topic but I thought I should make a topic out of this.

If YG was fugly, would he still be your favourite? or to put it another way, would you like him less? Would it change his appeal (not to me, to some of you).
    Since I'm a big YG fan, I will answer this. If YG was really ugly, he would definitely lose some appeal, that is probably universal with any hero. That's why most hero are played by good looking actors. But YG offer alot of appealing characteristics about him that would still capture alot of fans. He's not the typical always good type of hero like GJ. He's not naive like ZWJ. He is very independant and his undying love for XLN is admirable. He went through alot of hardship when he was young and could easily have gone to the dark side, but he didn't. In the end, he became the very cool one-armed Condor Hero. YG's story is one of a kind and true fans would easily look pass the physical attractiveness of a character. But of course, I won't deny YG would lose some appeal if that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    what is fugly ??
    Fugly in the Mo Shizzle dictionary is defined as a:

1. He/she who is a F**cking Ugly.

2. He/she who is too petryfying for the human eye.

3. Those who will never get perved on.

Now my friends do u understand what the topic is now???

YG is not my favourite. But I do like him and will continue to do so even if he is ugly. No, I won't like him less.

Re: Yeung Gor's looks and his popularity

1. It's hard to see how this would be an issue one way or another for heterosexual male readers of ROCH...and generally speaking, because ROCH is wuxia, its primary audience will be heterosexual males.

2. Before any adaptations of ROCH were made, novel readers had to *imagine* what Jin Yong meant when he described Yeung Gor as "handsome". "Handsome" means different things to different people. When there's no visual aid available (i.e. an illustration, photograph, or video image), I think people will imagine that their favorite characters are good-looking anyway (even if the author does not describe them as such), so it's not much of an advantage in text (although it is in visual representations).

3. People who read the novels think of the characters in terms of their decisions and actions, not their appearances. The appeal must lie within the character, not his appearance.

That's why most hero are played by good looking actors
    You'd never think the guys from HSDS 2000 production thought about this when they cast an aged & uncharasmatic Lawrence Ng as Wuji.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Not all, mind you, JY heroes are good looking. GJ and XF both definitely have not been described as being handsome. There are other "not so dashing chaps" around.

You see, theres a reason why heroes (in movies and stories) are usually handsome. Very seldom are they ugly or not good looking or plain. They are always suave, dashing, charismatic or even pretty. Handsome dashing ppl are usually more popular. If James Bond was to be ugly...errmm...you get what I mean. YG is sort of like the Wuxia Idol so to speak with his charming good looks, smooth talking, cheeky persona, good with the girls, wears a mask, goes around mysteriously, rebelious, one armed, the big bird sidekick (Batman & Robin??). So in a way, YG is "cool".

Thats why, I'm interested to know....HONESTLY....how popular YG would be if he looks like YTZ for example (disfigured and everything). Would the chicks in the novel still dig him? Would he still be the "suave and dashing" hero. Would he still have the "cool" factor?

Good question XF! I guess YG would lose some appeal but i would still like him. Don't now about the chicks in the novel but XLN would def. still love him don't think she cared to much about looks.

Not all, mind you, JY heroes are good looking. GJ and XF both definitely have not been described as being handsome. There are other "not so dashing chaps" around.

You see, theres a reason why heroes (in movies and stories) are usually handsome. Very seldom are they ugly or not good looking or plain. They are always suave, dashing, charismatic or even pretty. Handsome dashing ppl are usually more popular. If James Bond was to be ugly...errmm...you get what I mean. YG is sort of like the Wuxia Idol so to speak with his charming good looks, smooth talking, cheeky persona, good with the girls, wears a mask, goes around mysteriously, rebelious, one armed, the big bird sidekick (Batman & Robin??). So in a way, YG is "cool".

Thats why, I'm interested to know....HONESTLY....how popular YG would be if he looks like YTZ for example (disfigured and everything). Would the chicks in the novel still dig him? Would he still be the "suave and dashing" hero. Would he still have the "cool" factor?
    well, there is more than one way to get chicks, if you dont have the good looks, you then need is $$$$. haha

I would say however, if YG doesnt have his good looks, some of those girls who fall for him might not, but not all girls are superficial so he'll still be able to woo some of them with his charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    well, there is more than one way to get chicks, if you dont have the good looks, you then need is $$$$. haha

I would say however, if YG doesnt have his good looks, some of those girls who fall for him might not, but not all girls are superficial so he'll still be able to woo some of them with his charm.
    Well, YG isn't exactly loaded with cash. He's an orphan so "daddy's millions" don't apply either. Well, you see good looks opens doors for him. The chicks naturally dig him on first sight. Without it, they might just ignore him or something, meaning he'll need to do a lot of homework. BUT, the problem is he doesn't give a shit about the other girls, he just loves his "gugu". So, a likely conclusion is...nobody likes him except his "gugu". That makes him extra miserable and extra irritating...oh dear... .

So the question remains, how would that affect his popularity with readers.

I've heard that the majority of Yeung Gor fans are ROCH adaptations watchers, and not ROCH novel readers. Novel readers were generally more lukewarm to the character than their adaptation-watching only counterparts were. Conversely, I've also heard that LOCH novel readers like Gwok Jing more than those who only saw the L/ROCH adaptations.

NOTE: not a scientific survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I've heard that the majority of Yeung Gor fans are ROCH adaptations watchers, and not ROCH novel readers. Novel readers were generally more lukewarm to the character than their adaptation-watching only counterparts were. Conversely, I've also heard that LOCH novel readers like Gwok Jing more than those who only saw the L/ROCH adaptations.

Maybe one of these days we should have a questionaire for all wuxia fans. first question would be who is your favourite JY character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng

That might just mean that the adaptations failed to potray the true spirit of the characters as written in the books. Felix Wong and Julian Cheung are no ugly chaps. In fact, if u do a poll on who is better looking between Julian and Louis, I'm sure the result will be around 50:50. So, it couldn't be the look that make GJ less popular among adaptation watchers.