Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Best Character of JY's Universe?

Cool The Best Character of JY's Universe?

No doubt, that title should be awarded to Yeung Gor.

Here's why:

On this forum, YG is the most talked about. I notice even those who dislike YG can't resist talking about him. His story is captivating. He overcame so much to become one of the greatest martial artist of his time, even creating his unique Sad Palm which rival that of the 18 Dragon palm, not to mention he's the only one who knew the full Dugu Quibai's martial arts. He has unique features such as the white/gray streak of hair, his one arm, and that giant condor that travels with him. He has a big heart to forgive those who did him wrong and the courage to risk his life to help those in need. All those things makes him cool. And he ends up with the hot goddess XLN. He has it all.

Therefore, YG is simply the best character ever created by JY. Hands down!

PS: Post-ROCH YG can beat ANYONE! (HAHA)

Who's yours and why?
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 11-06-04 at 08:37 AM.

Hear hear!

(Btw. I forsee a HUGE argument in this thread on why GJ should be the best.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor

Here's why:

On this forum, YG is the most talked about. I notice even those who dislike YG can't resist talking about him.
    lol

I think that is just recently. somehow YG have become a hot topic, that have caused alot of turmoil here.

I think it is due to the increase of YG fans here lately, which is great. It is making SPCNET more diverse. It is revolution of ideas in his forum, now. The old folks are being challenge by the newer folks.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    The old folks are being challenge by the newer folks.
    Agreed. Characterised so appropriately by the many GJ (old folks) vs YG (new folks) themed postings. Old vs young. lol

Best character as in best developed character or character with the best qualities?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

what about other characters? Jin Yong wrote so many more novels? Other characters are not that great?...like Chen Jialuo or even wei xiao bao?

I am not sure who is the best but it seems to be a fight only bet Guo Jing and Yang Guo or at the very most..maybe the other commonly mentioned one Zhang Wuji..but he is weaker character.

Come to think of it, who are the other leads in Jin Yong's stories?

On this forum, YG is the most talked about. I notice even those who dislike YG can't resist talking about him.
    Yeah, YG maybe are among the most talked about among many charathers of Jin Yong's universe but those who dislike YG were talking mostly about YG's weakness & I think this will not make him the best characther.
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Cool

I'm going for XF. He's a great friend to have, a mature, considerate and responsible leader, is able to use ordinary Shaolin martial arts to beat more sophisticated martial arts, pretty well built for a fighter, loyal to his friends, good even to people he didn't know well (Ah Zhu when she was injured), took care of Ah Zhi who wasn't exactly the easiest person to take care of, and has the ability to stand up for himself without being offensive. Yet, he didn't abuse his power and thought for the benefit of the majority over himself.

He grew up with a traumatic experience (killed doctor) and in poverty, and rose to one of the highest positions one could have in Wu Lin, then dropped to being perceived as a "traitor" and "subhuman" by people he used to be friends with, sunk even lower when he lost the love of his life for a stupid reason, then rose high up again as the emperor's sworn brother, then killed himself to save millions of people he didn't even know.

That's one unusal and interesting journey that one doesn't come across everyday. I think it was one of the best life journeys that Jin Yong ever wrote.

He's got some flaws but I can accept his overall personality.

Another, probably Zhang San Feng, who is kind and merciful, and does not abuse his power and position. Considerate and open-minded, and willing to be insulted in order to save a young boy, created a great set of Tai Chi moves, trained probably the best-natured group of students in the whole Jin Yong universe, and his sect is well known for its genorosity and kindness, as well as martial arts. He gives punishment when it is needed, and is very forgiving. Being with him just makes one feel better.

Still remains unbeaten in his time in martial arts and in personality.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Talking the best character

no doubt guo jing is the best
    among all of the character in jin yong novel
    i pick guo jing
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

Is Guo Jing really described as that 'dumb'? Li ya Peng's portrayal makes him so that way.....Zhan Zhilin 's portrayal more innocent and silly.

Zhang San Feng is good choice..so is Zhang cui shan. What about Guo Jing's father? I really do not like Yang Kang...how did he end up with a much more honourable son, Yang Guo...tsk..tsk...

Here's why:

On this forum, YG is the most talked about. I notice even those who dislike YG can't resist talking about him. His story is captivating. He overcame so much to become one of the greatest martial artist of his time, even creating his unique Sad Palm which rival that of the 18 Dragon palm, not to mention he's the only one who knew the full Dugu Quibai's martial arts. He has unique features such as the white/gray streak of hair, his one arm, and that giant condor that travels with him. He has a big heart to forgive those who did him wrong and the courage to risk his life to help those in need. All those things makes him cool. And he ends up with the hot goddess XLN. He has it all.

Therefore, YG is simply the best character ever created by JY. Hands down!

PS: Post-ROCH YG can beat ANYONE! (HAHA)

Who's yours and why?
    ha....ha....ha......., u r getting more fanatic day by day. Perhaps, u have a YG altar in ur house.
    IMO the best character of JY's universe is WXB , he is more human than any main characters.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Wai Siu Bo, definitely. His characterization was a bit more complex than the more archetypal hero characters. He was a picaresque character, and these characters are difficult to pull off as protagonists. Wai Siu Bo's characterization is one reason that many people regard DUKE OF MT. DEER to be Jin Yong's best work.

Quote Originally Posted by Homura
    Agreed. Characterised so appropriately by the many GJ (old folks) vs YG (new folks) themed postings. Old vs young. lol
    Judging from the GJ vs YG poll, looks like YG came almost even in the contest and that's before the newer YG fans have arrived. Looks like GJ (old folks) will start losing ground to YG (young folks).

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    Best character as in best developed character or character with the best qualities?
    The whole package so both.

Quote Originally Posted by Arching_Hero
    Yeah, YG maybe are among the most talked about among many charathers of Jin Yong's universe but those who dislike YG were talking mostly about YG's weakness & I think this will not make him the best characther.
    That's where you are wrong. When a character has weaknesses, it makes them human and some fans can relate. YG demonstrated growth throwout the story in terms of his personality and unlike the other characters who seems to exhibit the same personality throughout the story. YG is more realistically developed.

Btw, I think those who dislike YG are only jealous of him. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    ha....ha....ha......., u r getting more fanatic day by day. Perhaps, u have a YG altar in ur house.
    IMO the best character of JY's universe is WXB , he is more human than any main characters.
    It only appears that way because I'm new to this forum and so many of the discussion going on here are very new to me. Of course I'll be more intrique in discussing my favorite character.

But then again, I am a huge fan of ROCH. No altar but I do collect what I can get my hands on. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Wai Siu Bo, definitely. His characterization was a bit more complex than the more archetypal hero characters. He was a picaresque character, and these characters are difficult to pull off as protagonists. Wai Siu Bo's characterization is one reason that many people regard DUKE OF MT. DEER to be Jin Yong's best work.
    Wai Siu Bo???? HAHA I do enjoy that series but don't know about being the best character unless it's a pimping contest.

Wait.. what am I saying, YG can pimp just as well if he wanted to.

See YG has it all, he can fight as well as pimp. He is a martial arts genius creating his own style. His character is more realistic than than the other archetypal hero characters since he's not totally blind good and naive. His arguably one of the best fighter of his time. ROCH as well as LOCH has alot of great characters in it to make the story well developed, which is why I think it's JY's best work and YG is the best character he has ever created.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 11-06-04 at 08:50 PM.

no supporters of LHC?

I do not know much about Ling Hu Chong except the name.....What about Chen Jialuo? people from Xue Shan Fei Hu? What are the other Jin Yong stories?