Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin 《步步惊心》 - Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Yuan Hong

Quote Originally Posted by aqueous View Post
    Sohu Votes:
    BBJX: 235,076,982 - 1st
    Nickie (4th): 991,447 - 1st
    Kevin (8th): 260,205 - 2nd (in the same category as Nickie)
    LSS (RX): 593,443 - 1st
    Roulan: 15,719 - 2nd (in the same category as LSS)
    LGX (14th): 642,722 - 1st (way ahead in his category)
    Mingyu: 860,837 - 1st
    4th/RX couple: 235,076,982 - 2nd 1st couple is 永不磨灭的番号 and has 793,469,043 - way ahead.

Link is http://yule.sohu.com/s2011/autumn/index.shtml.
    WOW! Nicky is wayy ahead and who is this other couple ahead of our 4RX?

^
    Annburg, I updated the votes. My eyes were too ready to accept BBJX and its actors as #1 so I overlooked other entries.
    BBJX and its actors are losing except for Nickie, LGX (14th), and Mingyu.

Quote Originally Posted by annbug View Post
    WOW! Nicky is wayy ahead and who is this other couple ahead of our 4RX?
    Oh, it's actually from a WWII war series aired on Jiangsu TV called 永不磨灭的番号 - some "shi li pai"/serious-type drama. The male lead is Huang Hai Bo - very awesome, talented actor who rose to fame as Ding Li (HXM/Xu Wen Qiang's sworn brother) in New Shanghai Bund. One of those actors who got where is was with talent alone, and not looks.

I can't believe New Pearl Princess is ahead of BBJX.
    So disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Oh, it's actually from a WWII war series aired on Jiangsu TV called 永不磨灭的番号 - some "shi li pai"/serious-type drama. The male lead is Huang Hai Bo - very awesome, talented actor who rose to fame as Ding Li (HXM/Xu Wen Qiang's sworn brother) in New Shanghai Bund. One of those actors who got where is was with talent alone, and not looks.
    Was this couple's love story even more tragic than BBJX?

Thanks xiaolong and aqueous!

I'm bit disappointed. BBJX and all the casts deserve more recognition than they are currently getting

Was this couple's love story even more tragic than BBJX?
    I don't know. I was just googling 永不磨灭的番号 and it looks really interesting. Apparently it achieved high ratings. Will put it on my watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I do wish that BBJX explained more on the political stuffs. For example, the 2nd time the Crown Prince was stripped of his title, the series didn't really explain very clearly. I read in wikipedia that Crown Prince attempted to usurp the throne, hence forcing Kangxi to give him the boot. He is lucky he didn't get the death penalty.

On 8th and his gang, I also think it would explain 4th's actions better if more of their bad deeds were shown. I just felt that based on what 8th/gang did in the series, 4th should have been more lenient.
    I feel that BBJX is assuming too much that its viewers know the history. Unfortunately, from the comments I've read here, a lot of spcnet participants aren't totally familiar with Yongzheng's history. Well, since the novel was written from a woman's POV, I guess you can't really get to see much intrigue in action. A lot of the intrigue is explained through conversation - I can't imagine how non-Chinese speakers can understand what's going on, unless they read the synopsis.

And yes, about 8th Prince. Frankly, Yongzheng and 13th were willing to let bygones be bygones. Yongzheng even bestowed a high title on 8th "Qin Wang" - same ranking as 13th. Which means, he was very willing to give 8th a chance. It must take a lot for Yongzheng to lose his patience and get harsh on 8th right? BBJX didn't show this, but in YZWC, 8th was a complete a$$-hole and took every opportunity to screw up Yongzheng's policies for the people, just for the sake of his own selfish grudges. Yongzheng was actually a very people-centered emperor - he wasn't popular because he and 13th were harsh in stamping out corruption and collecting back debts to help the victims of the great flood. On the other hand, 8th was very self-centered, using bribes and his fake sociable personality to win over supporters. This is the reason why Kangxi disliked him. I think in BBJX there was a conversation between 8th and Ming Hui where she was telling him, "Let's just live a peaceful life" after 4th took the throne. But the series didn't show 8th choosing not to live a peaceful life, wasn't even grateful for the leniency and high-ranking title bestowed on him by Yongzheng (despite his past actions) and his selfish schemes to sabotage Yongzheng.

I guess I was expecting too much in terms of intrigue with BBJX since it's about Yongzheng. As a love story alone, it's wonderful and LSS had amazing chemistry with all the princes. But it can't pass off as a bona fide historical series on Yongzheng.
    Last edited by laisee; 10-25-11 at 10:23 PM.

So disappointed.
    You got that right! I thought NHZGG was not popular? How the heck is NHZGG beating BBJX?
    Btw, what are the Soju awards based on? Popularity by viewers? What is China's equivalent of the Oscars in Hollywood?
    Last edited by tweety365; 10-25-11 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laisee View Post
    I guess I was expecting too much in terms of intrigue with BBJX since it's about Yongzheng. As a love story alone, it's wonderful and LSS had amazing chemistry with all the princes. But it can't pass off as a bona fide historical series on Yongzheng.
    I am very shallow and need eye candy . Hence, I tend to stay away from historically accurate dramas, which usually have people who are plain to very plain looking. I would lose interest in watching. Ironically, when watching series that butcher up history, I would google the facts to compare with the events in the series. So much more work for me

Agree completely with you Laisee.

This is one of the reasons why I am a firm shipper of 4th. I lurk in the Ancient Chinese Forum a lot and there is an intensive discussion of the merits of Yong Zheng as an Emperor and for the longest time he was a very misunderstood figure amongst the general public. It wasn't until recent years that historians have started portraying him in a more favourable light. As for upsurping the throne (I really didn't like how BBJX portrayed it), it is not as a widely debated issue as we are led to believe (in recent times that is), as it is not even included in the 4 Great Mysterious of the Early Qing.

Just in case if anyone was curious, they are:
    1. 太后下嫁 : Did Empress Dowager Xiaozhuang marry the Prince Regent Dorgon?
    2. 顺治出家 : Did Emperor Shunzhi faked his death and became a monk?
    3. 雍正被刺 : Was Emperor Yongzheng assassinated?
    4. 狸猫换太子 : Was Emperor Qianlong really the son of Emperor Yongzheng?

Laisee, I like how you pointed out the lack of 'political intrigue' in this drama because as someone who is an avid fan of YG and having watched YZWC, I understood all of 4th's actions and sometimes got really frustrated with RX. It wasn't until you pointed it out that I realized that I was assuming everyone knew Yong Zheng in the same way that I did. I kind of assumed all the same political intrigue behind the scene in BBJX was the same as YZWC so I never thought that 4th was being harsh at all.

PS: and thanks to all this Yong Zheng discussion, I called my dad and we had a long chat. It was good father-daughter bonding time. He's a huge Cao Cao and KangXi-YongZheng-QianLong fanatic

I am very shallow and need eye candy . Hence, I tend to stay away from historically accurate dramas, which usually have people who are plain to very plain looking. I would lose interest in watching. Ironically, when watching series that butcher up history, I would google the facts to compare with the events in the series. So much more work for me
    I would say BBJX omitted too much, but it didn't "butcher up" history. It's good to see a fresh interpretation of 8th Prince as a pitiful person, played by a handsome hunk like Kevin - I mean, he must have been very charismatic and I dare say, handsome, to win over so many supporters. There should be more to his character than the corrupt bad-a$$ he's portrayed as in historical series. The essence of the 9th and 13th historical characters are well intact - Han Dong and Yuan Hong played them very well. However, I'm still at two minds about Nicky's 4th...maybe it's because I never saw 4th as being so bowled over by a woman. It seems kind of superficial to portray him as dying of heartbreak over a woman (sorry, just my personal opinion, don't steam me for this!). It's much more real for him to die of heartbreak over having to kill his own child.

You got that right! I thought NHZGG was not popular? How the heck is NHZGG beating BBJX?
    Btw, what are the Soju awards based on?
    By voters. There's a link where you vote for an entry in each category. Sort of like MTV or People's Choice (also based on voters in case you're not into the Hollywood scene) here in the US.
    Last edited by aqueous; 10-25-11 at 10:37 PM.

However, I'm still at two minds about Nicky's 4th...maybe it's because I never saw 4th as being so bowled over by a woman. It seems kind of superficial to portray him as dying of heartbreak over a woman (sorry, just my personal opinion, don't steam me for this!). It's much more real for him to die of heartbreak over having to kill his own child.
    In my opinion, he died out of loneliness and overwork, not just because of a woman. Because RX died in YZ 2nd year while 4th died in YZ 13th year, a few years after 13th passed away. I also agreed with you that it's superficial for 4th to die because of a woman. Tong Hua probably thought so too that's why she deliberately left a 10 years gap between RX's death and 4th's death. 4th probably was heartbroken but he was too responsible to die because of a woman. However, I do think that RX's death contributed to his loneliness and his workaholic behavior.

I would say BBJX omitted too much, but it didn't "butcher up" history. It's good to see a fresh interpretation of 8th Prince as a pitiful person, played by a handsome hunk like Kevin - I mean, he must have been very charismatic and I dare say, handsome, to win over so many supporters. There should be more to his character than the corrupt bad-a$$ he's portrayed as in historical series. The essence of the 9th and 13th historical characters are well intact - Han Dong and Yuan Hong played them very well. However, I'm still at two minds about Nicky's 4th...maybe it's because I never saw 4th as being so bowled over by a woman. It seems kind of superficial to portray him as dying of heartbreak over a woman (sorry, just my personal opinion, don't steam me for this!). It's much more real for him to die of heartbreak over having to kill his own child.
    YongZheng didn't die of heartbreak in the novel. At least, I never interpreted it that way. Well...in history, most people think he died of mercury poisoning from his fascination with alchemy. I think they detected high level of mercury in his hair or something. Regarding the death of HongShi, i sorta doubt YongZheng actually ordered him to commit suicide. YongZheng probably stripped him of his titles and locked him up;consequently he died from illness due to the poor conditions of his confine.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Sohu Votes:
    BBJX: 235,076,982 - 3rd ;( 1st is 永不磨灭的番号, 2nd is New Pearl Princess.
    Nickie (4th): 991,447 - 1st
    Kevin (8th): 260,205 - 2nd (in the same category as Nickie)
    LSS (RX): 593,443 - 2nd (1st is Ady An in 新水浒传)
    Roulan: 15,719 - 3rd (in the same category as LSS)
    LGX (14th): 642,722 - 1st (way ahead in his category)
    Mingyu: 860,837 - 1st
    4th/RX couple: 235,076,982 - 2nd 1st couple is 永不磨灭的番号 and has 793,469,043 - way ahead.

Link is http://yule.sohu.com/s2011/autumn/index.shtml.
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realise LSS is 2nd now! And yes, I've known that 4RX is 2nd now, and also disappointed. At least Nicky is still 1st!!!

^
    Annburg, I updated the votes. My eyes were too ready to accept BBJX and its actors as #1 so I overlooked other entries.
    BBJX and its actors are losing except for Nickie, LGX (14th), and Mingyu.
    Good thing that LGX and Mingyu (didn't realise that, yay that she's ahead!) also add to BBJX's numbers.

So disappointed.
    Blasphemy!!! I can accept it for the old (Zhao Wei version) HZGG, but not the NEW one!!!

In my opinion, he died out of loneliness and overwork, not just because of a woman. Because RX died in YZ 2nd year while 4th died in YZ 13th year, a few years after 13th passed away. I also agreed with you that it's superficial for 4th to die because of a woman. Tong Hua probably thought so too that's why she deliberately left a 10 years gap between RX's death and 4th's death. 4th probably was heartbroken but he was too responsible to die because of a woman. However, I do think that RX's death contributed to his loneliness and his workaholic behavior.
    I will wait for my snail-paced viewing of the last two episodes before truly having an opinion here, but I feel that you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    YongZheng didn't die of heartbreak in the novel. At least, I never interpreted it that way. Well...in history, most people think he died of mercury poisoning from his fascination with alchemy. I think they detected high level of mercury in his hair or something. Regarding the death of HongShi, i sorta doubt YongZheng actually ordered him to commit suicide. YongZheng probably stripped him of his titles and locked him up;consequently he died from illness due to the poor conditions of his confine.
    You're probably right. I've yet to watch the last two episodes I'm glad it won't be totally about RX since he will die only 10 years after her death. I still wish they had added the part about HongShi's death like in YZWC - that was one of the most heartbreaking moments ever in drama history. Even though some historians say Yongzheng didn't kill HongShi and just locked him up, he still is the cause of his own son's death (and for HongShi to die from squalid conditions is even worse, as it means he suffered a slow death - man, that's even more heartbreaking to Yongzheng!). The death of a child is something no father can ever recover from, especially if he caused the death! In any case, the impact of HongShi's death on him should figure way more in his sad dying moments than RX.
    Last edited by laisee; 10-26-11 at 09:05 AM.

I just found this treat that I think is really good...

BBJX: A closer look at the 4th prince from the novel..

http://sparkskey.livejournal.com/58950.html

check it out...

OMG HELP !! I'm re-watching BBJX for the 3rd time and still loving it !! It's killing me with other series !! I need a cure pill and quick !! Argh.....