Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: The Conqueror's Story 《楚漢驕雄》

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon *
    No Offense... This bored me to death.... I really disliked it... But that's maybe cos I didn't even understand it lol :P
    haha! but if you did understand it then it'd make a really good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    lol Yer... I suppose.... I didn't watch the beginning episodes so I didn't understand it... and it was going on about all this lardy dardy stuff.... My chinese isn't superb cos I'm from England

TommyH
    Unregistered

lol Yer... I suppose.... I didn't watch the beginning episodes so I didn't understand it... and it was going on about all this lardy dardy stuff.... My chinese isn't superb cos I'm from England
    haha! well i just want to say that this series is one of the best from 2004 if you understood it.

Banned

No Offense... This bored me to death.... I really disliked it... But that's maybe cos I didn't even understand it lol :P

You know what - you are right .

No one on this board can claim 100% comphrehension of the dialogus in TCS , if they do they are lying especially those who dont not use Canto as a base language .

you know who they are .

I would say I am as fluent as you can get here and I agree - relative to all the hype that some people were giving it , TCS would not even rate in my top 20 series .

Shows you that those so called " experts " are probably even less fluent than you, and base their recommendations on totally flawed Canto .

Look at my test list , they cant even translate that , how can they understand the depth of language in TCS .

some might cheat and use subtitles , but subs can only take you so far , the nuance is missing and they are often over literal . you will never learn the language by subs .

but dont worry , its not that difficult , stick to them but try watching more modern stuff before to give you a foundation , then go to the period pieces .

what is need is heart anda genuine love for your own kind not a some BS affiliation for " glamour " or an attempt to get respect , when it may be devoid in one's home environment .

I know who is going to reply . and I know what you are going to say .

come on Im ready .
    Last edited by rokko99; 04-02-06 at 01:58 PM.

Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Putpeet tor feiwah lah ! pei ngor siew kwai lei .

mo sunfun , pan kah munfah chikup .

mm chi sutlai .

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so funny .

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    You know what - you are right .

No one on this board can claim 100% comphrehension of the dialogus in TCS , if they do they are lying especially those who dont not use Canto as a base language .

you know who they are .

I would say I am as fluent as you can get here and I agree - relative to all the hype that some people were giving it , TCS would not even rate in my top 20 series .

Shows you that those so called " experts " are probably even less fluent than you, and base their recommendations on totally flawed Canto .

Look at my test list , they cant even translate that , how can they understand the depth of language in TCS .

some might cheat and use subtitles , but subs can only take you so far , the nuance is missing and they are often over literal . you will never learn the language by subs .

but dont worry , its not that difficult , stick to them but try watching more modern stuff before to give you a foundation , then go to the period pieces .

what is need is heart anda genuine love for your own kind not a some BS affiliation for " glamour " or an attempt to get respect , when it may be devoid in one's home environment .

I know who is going to reply . and I know what you are going to say .

come on Im ready .
    Did you ever consider that you're the one with the bad pinyin?

Banned

HAHAHAHA.

yao lei kor , sei chun .

kwantung wah peen tou yao " pinyin " .

everything is bad " pinyin " to those who use only subtitles .

TommyH
    Unregistered

Cantonese doesn't have pinyin? Then what are these?

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    yao lei kor , sei chun .

kwantung wah peen tou yao " pinyin " .
    Not cantonese?

Banned

Thats your problem , you know very little but you are rude enough to interrupt conversations with limited knowledge .

meah pung meah pung meah pung , put peet mun tor muntai .

Wink

Let's put it this way. This is not a series for all. Some may really like it, some may not. There is no right or wrong. It all depends on personal preferences.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

in the 1st episode, maggie cheung seems like wanna follow kwong wah. but in the end, she's with adam. but when she's with adam, she seems to control her husband a lot by making decisions to ensure he's able to sit on the throne. i wonder why? is it because she wanna be a queen??

Quote Originally Posted by kacheek
    in the 1st episode, maggie cheung seems like wanna follow kwong wah. but in the end, she's with adam. but when she's with adam, she seems to control her husband a lot by making decisions to ensure he's able to sit on the throne. i wonder why? is it because she wanna be a queen??
    Bingo!. Yes, that was her intention. That was also why she chose Hong Yu in the beginning. Because Hong Yu was a capable man and has very high chance of becoming Emperor. She's a very ambitious woman. Her motto was same like Hong Yu 'nang yan so but nang' meaning able to do things other cannot do.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Bingo!. Yes, that was her intention. That was also why she chose Hong Yu in the beginning. Because Hong Yu was a capable man and has very high chance of becoming Emperor. She's a very ambitious woman. Her motto was same like Hong Yu 'nang yan so but nang' meaning able to do things other cannot do.

I think Maggie was a genius here. If Kong Wah had accepted her in the first episode then history would be different. There would never be a Han Dynasty and so there would never be those following it.

maggie's character is an infamous historical character who was extremely cruel. i checked her up on wikipedia. haha.
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

I think Maggie was a genius here. If Kong Wah had accepted her in the first episode then history would be different. There would never be a Han Dynasty and so there would never be those following it.
    ah huh,
    truthflly i've watched this series in the dubbed version, since i m vietnamese, and not chinese.. b/c i was so interested in the characters: adam, maggie, and kwong's, i went to read further on about the history of the 2 nations, and learned so much.. that's probablely y i was able to understand more than my family and friends.. but it does mention alot of coplex "proverbs" and war techniques..

maggie's character chose adam's character in the end, instead of continuing to try to pursue kwong's character b/c he is a man of words once he said he doesnt want u, u're best is to stay away from him..

after knowing adam's true character, completely opposite from kwong, maggie realize that the best person for her to help fight with is adam.. b/c"
    1. ppl loved him (he's a nice man)
    2. he's weak and frail, therefore she could be his brain n he her puppet, since she is smarter..
    etc

i mean, he has that luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_paws
    maggie's character is an infamous historical character who was extremely cruel. i checked her up on wikipedia. haha.
    She's cruel to her enemies, but not a bad ruler. Do u know that she abolished the 'execute to the 3rd degree of family' law during her reign?

I also think she's no more cruel than a lot of other emperors. She's just more outstanding because she's a woman.
    Last edited by kidd; 04-06-06 at 12:25 AM.

She's cruel to her enemies, but not a bad ruler. Do u know that she abolished the 'execute to the 3rd degree of family' law during her reign?

I also think she's no more cruel than a lot of other emperors. She's just more outstanding because she's a woman.
    Yes I agree, Empress Lui is viewed as a villian because she does not fit the traditional role of a motherly and submissive woman, and rather take a more dominating one. There were males before her who used their own children for power or killed their enemies ruthlessly, but she was the first woman to do so.

I didn't think her rule was that bad even though she replaced all important officials with members of her own clan. She still used people form other clans if they gave useful counsel and even though she had like supreme power within her own country, she was not over her head with pride, and still saw the weakness of her own country when she received marriage proposal letter from the Xiongnu ruler and played submissive though she felt insulted. If it was any other ruler, the newly-established Han would have long been wiped out by the Xiongnu before it was strong enough to attack.

In the series, Maggie was incontent with the assumption by her father to tell her find a good husband and settle down. She wanted to prove that she could do what men could do, be Emperor, so she settles for the next best thing - Empress.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I watched Adam Cheng concert DVD today and played the themesong of this series repeatedly to read/study the lyrics and I realised that the lyrics is talking about Hong Yu. Funny that the series in Lau-Bong centered but the lyrics is about Hong Yu (at least a big chunck of the lyrics is). The first part is all about Hong Yu. The 2nd part seems to be a mixture of Hong Yu and Lau Bong. I think this song was written before the script was completed. It was most likely based on the original idea for this series. If based on the presentation clip where Hong Yu is the good guy, this lyrics will fit perfectly and will be all about Hong Yu.

絕世雄才。主唱:鄭少秋

雄才絕世天生有幾,狂情傲態萬年稀。
    力拔山獨有吞山川豪氣,天亦疑忌。
    凌雲大志衝天飛,良才善製造時機。
    群雄逢變天楚漢驕雄鬥,成敗看捕捉先機。
    用兩手天將塌下都撐起,用鬥心一生霸業沒法比。
    誰才能絕世功高可霸天,天命難欺。
    無言獨對烏江水,成王敗寇悟前非。
    未問人與天因我只問責,高風歌讚千世紀行。

人逢絕處總得轉機,豪傑亦有被人欺。
    人如逢困境不短英雄氣,榮辱貴賤擔得起。
    用兩手將天塌下都撐起,用愛心一生愛人如愛己。
    常懷人共說分擔喜與悲,天地無欺,
    無言獨對烏江水,成王敗寇悟前非。
    未問人與天因我只問責,千秋功過平常事。
    力拔山勇哉不過一齣戲,無限壯烈千古悲。

Btw, this lyrics is one of the hardest to understand lyrics I've read. The words are so poetic that I have to read it repeatedly (and also asked my mom to explain the meaning of some of the characters) to understand fully what it says.

I watched Adam Cheng concert DVD today and played the themesong of this series repeatedly to read/study the lyrics and I realised that the lyrics is talking about Hong Yu. Funny that the series in Lau-Bong centered but the lyrics is about Hong Yu (at least a big chunck of the lyrics is). The first part is all about Hong Yu. The 2nd part seems to be a mixture of Hong Yu and Lau Bong. I think this song was written before the script was completed. It was most likely based on the original idea for this series. If based on the presentation clip where Hong Yu is the good guy, this lyrics will fit perfectly and will be all about Hong Yu.

絕世雄才。主唱:鄭少秋

雄才絕世天生有幾,狂情傲態萬年稀。
    力拔山獨有吞山川豪氣,天亦疑忌。
    凌雲大志衝天飛,良才善製造時機。
    群雄逢變天楚漢驕雄鬥,成敗看捕捉先機。
    用兩手天將塌下都撐起,用鬥心一生霸業沒法比。
    誰才能絕世功高可霸天,天命難欺。
    無言獨對烏江水,成王敗寇悟前非。
    未問人與天因我只問責,高風歌讚千世紀行。

人逢絕處總得轉機,豪傑亦有被人欺。
    人如逢困境不短英雄氣,榮辱貴賤擔得起。
    用兩手將天塌下都撐起,用愛心一生愛人如愛己。
    常懷人共說分擔喜與悲,天地無欺,
    無言獨對烏江水,成王敗寇悟前非。
    未問人與天因我只問責,千秋功過平常事。
    力拔山勇哉不過一齣戲,無限壯烈千古悲。

Btw, this lyrics is one of the hardest to understand lyrics I've read. The words are so poetic that I have to read it repeatedly (and also asked my mom to explain the meaning of some of the characters) to understand fully what it says.
    to kidd, do you mean TVB's sales presentation clip with Adam cheng and Damian Lau as the main characters? Have you seen it yet?

Yes, I have seen it, a long time ago. Seen it even before the series itself came out in HK. I don't have the clip with me now. It's attached to the TVB aniversary VCD. I've returned the VCD to the rental shop already.

I find your question strange. Why do u asked me "Have you seen it yet?". If I have not seen it, why would I mention it's contents. And why the 'yet' like it's something really new? Have u mistaken it for this year's presentation clip?